BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol City Match Thread - 5Th December 2015

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a bit of fear has set in.

They've gone back to gloating about attendances again.

:lol: :lol:

Blackburn Rovers have been the biggest and best supported in Lancashire for generations, and a few seasons in the mire because of mismanagement on a grande scale will ever change that.

We don't need to put up a case, we don't need to argue the point, its just a fact.

• Backroom

Burnley don't even have a proper forum. They are one of very few clubs who still use that awful footymad hosted template.

Cotterill reckons our first goal was a foul by Hanley, our penalty was unjustified and they had a stonewall pen that wasn't given. Throwing excuses out all over the place, though he did admit the red card was deserved. A better manager would have taken Baker off at half time.

Burnley don't even have a proper forum. They are one of very few clubs who still use that awful footymad hosted template.

Cotterill reckons our first goal was a foul by Hanley, our penalty was unjustified and they had a stonewall pen that wasn't given. Throwing excuses out all over the place, though he did admit the red card was deserved. A better manager would have taken Baker off at half time.

A better manager wouldn't have agreed to work for Burnley!

Cotterills a **** with a very bad haircut, move on.

Henley was frustrating in the second bit of play in that clip... Should be looking to replace him and loan him out like I've repeatedly said. Those saying the penalty is soft, lad has gone to ground without playing the ball has interfered with Olsson's stride... Although I consider it to be cheating these are legitimate penalties these days, given week in week out.

Pace is needed up front I totally agree, something me and my dad have been saying for bloody years now. Shame King left really, Lambert would have made a player of him.

Just back home in Westhoughton after a great day out with Preston Blue (thanks Captain).

Great result and one that under GB we would have struggled with.

The squad is more composed, united together and some of the football they play is a joy to watch. The biggest change is that THERE IS a plan B or a plan C in case plan A doesn't quite work.

PL and co have revitalised the squad and believe me there is some real talent on show now that they are allowed to show it.

Only drawback is the enigma that is Adam Henley. He has so much good about him but at the same time he has also go his bad bits. Sadly the bad bits cause us real problems.

Fab day out for the fans and at least the rain kept off.

Onwards and Upwards

You can't underestimate the importance of scoring the first goal in this division. I dunno if it's through skill or just fortune. But lambert seems to have a happy knack of getting us to score first. So many times under Bowyer we ended up going a goal down and chasing the match. Ultimately getting picked off. Maybe that's unfair and it didn't happen as often as it felt. But the point stands. Get the first goal and the gung-ho nature of this division plays right into your hands. I hope our current trend carries on for a long time to come.

• Backroom

You can't underestimate the importance of scoring the first goal in this division. I dunno if it's through skill or just fortune. But lambert seems to have a happy knack of getting us to score first. So many times under Bowyer we ended up going a goal down and chasing the match. Ultimately getting picked off. Maybe that's unfair and it didn't happen as often as it felt. But the point stands. Get the first goal and the gung-ho nature of this division plays right into your hands. I hope our current trend carries on for a long time to come.

I think you're right, we did usually concede the first goal under GB - this season, at the very least. Some will say Lambert's lucky, but for me it's simply about preparation and standards, two things which were lacking under Bowyer. Our team wasn't bad enough to consider 3 wins in 17 games OK, they just weren't being prepared adequately for the opposition and ended up regularly chasing games as a result.

Safe to say that under Lambert and Irvine this won't be a problem going forward.

What's that claret catchphrase?

the gap is closing...

Well it looks like the appointment of PL and getting out of the embargo is starting to have the desired effect on this MB, the club, the supporters and especially

the Dingles

:lol:

their full name reinstated again

Burnley nil

I think you're right, we did usually concede the first goal under GB - this season, at the very least. Some will say Lambert's lucky, but for me it's simply about preparation and standards, two things which were lacking under Bowyer. Our team wasn't bad enough to consider 3 wins in 17 games OK, they just weren't being prepared adequately for the opposition and ended up regularly chasing games as a result.

Safe to say that under Lambert and Irvine this won't be a problem going forward.

I think we have had a bit of luck since Lambert came. Nothing wrong with that. Even really good teams need a bit now and again. We were due some because we never seemed to have much when Bowyer was here.

A thoroughly professional performance and once again I didn't feel there was any one stand out performance but there were lots of good ones. We shouldn't underestimate the difficulty the elements gave the players today with a really strong wind and dry pitch. Lambert has certainly reinvigorated the support and I sincerely hope that any fans in two minds about buying a half season tickets do so and offer extra vocal support.

Here's a real positive though. If we win our next two games (Rotherham and Forest at home) and Burnley lose their next two (QPR and Middlesbrough away) we will only be four points behind them. Who in their right mind would have thought that possible on October 24th?

• Backroom

I think we have had a bit of luck since Lambert came. Nothing wrong with that. Even really good teams need a bit now and again. We were due some because we never seemed to have much when Bowyer was here.

We have had some luck, yeah, but I think over the long-term we won't be calling Lambert a lucky or unlucky manager. GB being labelled "unlucky" is not something I really agree with, over a season you ultimately make your own luck, and the reason we were so "unlucky" under Bowyer was because we invited pressure and didn't have the fitness/motivation to see out games. We were content with draws and having a "right good go", which leads to situations which seem unlucky but are rooted in much deeper issues.

After reading comments on here, the full match report on LT and watching the brief highlights... It does appear that Henley was the week link again. We're desperately in need of a proper bloke in there, an efficient performer but no names spring to mind.

Can't say I agree with that... We were UNLUCKY to concede the first against Wednesday who were garbage in the first half. In many ways we could say that we're unlucky to not be higher than where we are OR it's just football and we've scored more goals than the opposition therefore we deserve the points we have.

or is it a case of the harder you work the luckier you get

Good post-match interview with Lambert on RoversPlayer but Cotterill's comments have the familiar whiff of desperation about them:

Cotterill had no qualms about the sending off, admitting: "That was our own fault." But he felt his side were denied a "cast-iron" penalty when Adam Henley appeared to foul Kieran Agard inside the six yard box in the first half.

He also felt Blackburn's opening goal should have been disallowed for a foul by Hanley in the build-up and took issue with referee Eltringham's decision to award the visitors a penalty in the closing stages.

He said: "We've decided we don't get penalties and the opposition do after this. It was 100 per cent not a penalty – Aden Flint has not touched him.

"I've watched both incidents again and it's a foul on Kieran Agard – he's all over him – and their penalty is not one. What can we do?

"I don't think their first goal should have counted either. Hanley has both his hands on Liam Moore's shoulders and it's a foul. We've not had the rub of the green

"We deserved a good refereeing performance and we deserved more than the zero points we got."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/POST-MATCH-REACTION-Bristol-City-Blackburn-Rovers/story-28303835-detail/story.html

Archived