BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Embargo Lifted

Tom

Glad to be operating under normal circumstances again like every other club... Hopefully it will stop all these jokers writing articles about mickey mouse clubs trying to get our players for peanuts. I do hope that we continue to make the bank balance a little more healthier, I can understand people wanting to throw money at it to get promoted but I'd like the manager spend wisely and reasonably (as I'm sure he will) on players that we may get a return on and hopefully now we might see a better calibre of player coming to Rovers now we have a name like Lambert.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What it will mean is that we can look at loan signings with a fee, something we haven't been able to do so far. A lot of big clubs will loan players but charge for it and I think that rather than buy we'll go down this route for incoming players to a large extent. Better than putting all your eggs in one basket buying players you could get stuck with despite their being poor.

and I've bought my half season ticket, just as I said I would if there was any cause to think things might be changing for the better

Ok, we've managed to scrape out of the embargo but one signing would probably fall foul of the rules and we'd be back under an embargo.

I suppose we'll have to adopt a 'one out, one in' policy.

Possibly yes

The phrase that sticks out for me is ''Owners agreeing and implementing a loan conversion agreement''

Hopefully this means converting the Rovers debt into share capital - effectively writing off the debt.

Spot on - when everything comes to light, I think you will find this to be the key element.

Would think folk will also be surprised at how relatively small the number is likely to be - IMV, £millions that could be counted on one hand.

Ok, we've managed to scrape out of the embargo but one signing would probably fall foul of the rules and we'd be back under an embargo.

...or you go transfer crazy in one window ,assemble a squad on three year contracts ,go into FFP again when the accounts are done for that financial year but have a squad together to have three pops at getting promoted. Big big gamble.

CHANGES NOWT! NEVER FORGIVE OR FORGET !!

VENKYSCUM OUT THE PAIN THEY HAVE CAUSED IS UNFORGIVIBLE..

Yes the manager and Rhodes is the only good from them the rest is hurt and pain.

Walk away then. If you can't move on you'll never get what you want out of Rovers now Abbey (until they go). Not enough time in life to focus on hate.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but could somebody please explain the equity transfer to me?

Much appreciated if so!

Basically the loans (or some of it) that were to be repaid to Venkys has been converted to shares in the company.

Basically the loans (or some of it) that were to be repaid to Venkys has been converted to shares in the company.

Fair enough, thank you for answering. I thought it was something to do with us owing the banks and it now being a case of us owing Venky's.

So the 'debt' is shares in Venkys? Is that a good or bad thing?

Again, thanks for answering - I am useless when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Fair enough, thank you for answering. I thought it was something to do with us owing the banks and it now being a case of us owing Venky's.

So the 'debt' is shares in Venkys? Is that a good or bad thing?

Again, thanks for answering - I am useless when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Venky's are basically saying, "You know that X million you owe us? Well, create some new shares in BRFC and give us those instead, which we will all pretend are worth the X million, and which you now no longer owe us." Jack did the same with all the money he pumped in.

• Backroom

I don't think Lambert would have come in if he didn't have concrete assurances we'd be out of the embargo by January. Good to hear it's been done early.

So much for Shaw telling us we needed to sell one more player. Clearly not.

Excellent news, although not altogether surprising. If Bolton aren't in it, coupled with clubs like Boro and QPR not giving a fig about it, a club like us who have drastically tried to reduce our losses should've had an easy time convincing the authorities not to keep us in it. Still, as we've seen from the last few years, that just because it's easy doesn't mean it's going to happen with Rovers!

Personally think in a year or two FFP may be a thing of the past, or completely unenforceable. Perhaps the real criminality is the 2 seasons we spend under it and the detrimental effect that had on us and our promotion bids. Mind you can't see us suing the league and getting recompense for it. Hate football at times.

Overall though a positive step. The difference between spending something and nothing as we've discovered is huge. Compare Cairney and Gestede to Guthrie and Brown (albeit in Guthrie's case injuries rather than talent is the differentiating factor) and you see how it could make a massive difference to our recruitment in January and the summer.

Realistically great though Lambert is, he does need to bring in a few faces if he is to get anything out of this season. Now he can suggests that we can still dare to dream.

Very good stuff.

My only gripe is the last line:

'the club wishes to put on record its thanks to the League for its co-operation during this period'

It makes me sick. After what QPR and Derby have done we should never have been embargoed in the first place. Whatever people's views are on Bowyer our chances would have been enhanced significantly if we had been able to spend in the summer as everyone else could. This season was almost a lost cause irrespective of the manager because of the depleted squad brought about by our league enforced restrictions. Now Lambert has to work miracles in the next 6 months to get us even in contention for the play-offs.

You get more with honey than you do with vinegar.

I used to think like this but I can't help but feel that something has changed. Maybe it is the new increased losses threshold, I'm not sure. It still means that we are beholden to Venkys covering any debt for the foreseeable future but without an alternative with the capital it's inevitable.

I'm not one of those who believes that Bowyer could have done any better when out of embargo because, let's face it, he wasn't really in it all that long. However, history will hopefully show that he was a credible night watchman after a big hitter was unfairly removed from the crease, followed by a middle order collapse, to save the innings. Although he didn't have boardroom uproar, he did have to put on a brave face (and take the credit/blame) for the departure of players whilst we reshaped the squad to fit the budget. I'm sure this has contributed to us coming out of what - despite the obvious issues with perceived lack of clarity or equity with other teams - was probably simply punishment for failing to meet the rules.

Hopefully we can have a decent second innings and if not win then at least get a draw and prepare over the Summer for the next test.

A very welcome bit of news in a recent run of welcome bits of news. Long may it continue!

Great news.....hope the transfer news thread starts getting busier!

As others have said. 'hope the half season tickets sales go well', c'mon get 'em bought all you stay aways (please).

Archived