BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup 2015/16

Mike E

Don't think they will fill it in a million years. Its pretty much irrelevant when teams like West Ham have the whole Darwen End anyway. I didn't like it when certain teams got the whole end. Likes of United and Liverpool didn't always get the whole stand though did they? I'm referring to after the stadium was fully rebuilt. This is in 1997 against United and you can clearly see Rovers fans in the Darwen End. It was the same in 1998 and 1999 as well. Unfortunately after promotion they always got the whole end. Even for the league cup semi finals if I recall right. :rolleyes:

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think they will fill it in a million years. Its pretty much irrelevant when teams like West Ham have the whole Darwen End anyway. I didn't like it when certain teams got the whole end. Likes of United and Liverpool didn't always get the whole stand though did they? I'm referring to after the stadium was fully rebuilt. This is in 1997 against United and you can clearly see Rovers fans in the Darwen End. It was the same in 1998 and 1999 as well. Unfortunately after promotion they always got the whole end. Even for the league cup semi finals if I recall right. :rolleyes:

With respect I don't think what happened 20 years ago is in the least bit relevant. We could fill most of the ground with our own supporters then, we certainly can't now (not against WHU anyway). I agree with preston blue and will be majorly surprised if West Ham don't fill the Darwen End, what makes you so sure they won't and why is it "pretty much irrelevant when teams like West Ham have the whole of the Darwen End", surely it gives them as much of an advantage as any other club with the noise etc?

Incidentally I'm fairly certain there were rules relating to the league cup semis you refer to that meant Man United HAD to get the whole of the Darwen End as I recall we got more tickets than usual for the away legs. I think Sheff Wed would have got the whole end in 2002 as well?

With respect I don't think what happened 20 years ago is in the least bit relevant. We could fill most of the ground with our own supporters then, we certainly can't now (not against WHU anyway). I agree with preston blue and will be majorly surprised if West Ham don't fill the Darwen End, what makes you so sure they won't and why is it "pretty much irrelevant when teams like West Ham have the whole of the Darwen End", surely it gives them as much of an advantage as any other club with the noise etc?

Incidentally I'm fairly certain there were rules relating to the league cup semis you refer to that meant Man United HAD to get the whole of the Darwen End as I recall we got more tickets than usual for the away legs. I think Sheff Wed would have got the whole end in 2002 as well?

Well I wasn't suggesting Rovers could now (or anytime soon) but I don't know why United/Liverpool got the whole Darwen End every time after promotion. Myself and a few others certainly spoke against it. I've looked at the current league cup rules and its 10 percent. Not sure it was significantly higher then and certainly wouldn't have covered the whole Darwen End. Anyway bit off topic was just something I remembered.

I don't think Chelsea or Arsenal would fill it for this game never mind West Ham.

The away allocation is 15%. It would be very difficult if not impossible to provide that number to an away team and have some Rovers fans in the Darwen end with proper segregation. Given we have no chance of filling the other three stands it makes no commercial sense not to give the away team the whole of the Darwen end.

Well I wasn't suggesting Rovers could now (or anytime soon) but I don't know why United/Liverpool got the whole Darwen End every time after promotion. Myself and a few others certainly spoke against it. I've looked at the current league cup rules and its 10 percent. Not sure it was significantly higher then and certainly wouldn't have covered the whole Darwen End. Anyway bit off topic was just something I remembered.

I don't think Chelsea or Arsenal would fill it for this game never mind West Ham.

the fa cup rules say 15% subjet to the local Safety Advisory Group

West Ham will shift that allocation, in spite of it being on TV imo. Whatever people think about West Ham, they do have a massive fanbase and they're doing well atm.

Their support Is the loudest and most ferocious I've witnessed, consistently. (Not always supportive, either).

I'd expect them to sell out, or come close to it.

Let's hope it doesn't go to a replay, I've only seen Rovers win down there once (and that was when Charlton played their home games there).

I expect West Ham will sell out. They usually travel in decent numbers. Having got past Liverpool they will be strong favourites to progress past us to the Quarter Finals and with their delusions of grandeur will be expecting to win the competition already.

That will leave Rovers needing to fill the remaining 3 sides of the ground. With an away following of 7000+ we should be expecting a gate pushing 25,000. It's the FA Cup 5th round with a place in the Quarter Finals up for grabs. We're playing a team currently 6th in the Premier League and its £20 anywhere in the ground. If Blackburn as a town and Rovers fans can't get excited for that and pack Ewood Park then I really don't know what will do it.

I expect West Ham will sell out. They usually travel in decent numbers. Having got past Liverpool they will be strong favourites to progress past us to the Quarter Finals and with their delusions of grandeur will be expecting to win the competition already.

That will leave Rovers needing to fill the remaining 3 sides of the ground. With an away following of 7000+ we should be expecting a gate pushing 25,000. It's the FA Cup 5th round with a place in the Quarter Finals up for grabs. We're playing a team currently 6th in the Premier League and its £20 anywhere in the ground. If Blackburn as a town and Rovers fans can't get excited for that and pack Ewood Park then I really don't know what will do it.

Add the £20 to the three games for £30 and for £50 four decent games can be seen at Ewood for £12.50 each. It is an excellent offer and represents great value. If that doesn't attract a lot of lapsed supporters nothing will.

Add the £20 to the three games for £30 and for £50 four decent games can be seen at Ewood for £12.50 each. It is an excellent offer and represents great value. If that doesn't attract a lot of lapsed supporters nothing will.

To put it into context for a walk on fan it would have cost an adult £20 to go to watch Accy Stanley against Hartlepool on a Tuesday night. As you say, £50 to watch 3 Championship games and an FA Cup 5th round tie against a decent Premier League side is unbeatable value. I just worry we'll see a recurrence of the crowds against Stoke and Swansea from last season rather than the full house against Liverpool, which would be a terrible shame for the club, players and manager on such an occasion.

• Moderation Lead

Sadly WHU are taking this seriously. Liverpool, based on last night's team selection, clearly weren't too fussed.

Hope we put up a fight and there's a decent turnout. Anything more is a bonus.

That's why I'd have fancied us against Liverpool this time. Even taking their wretched injury list into account, they haven't been putting anywhere close to their strongest side out in the cup.

That's why I'd have fancied us against Liverpool this time. Even taking their wretched injury list into account, they haven't been putting anywhere close to their strongest side out in the cup.

Yet still they took wham to extra time. It doesn't matter who we play, if we don't produce our very best, we will get knocked out. Lets hope the players concentrate on there own performance rather than analysing whoever the opposition are.

Benteke, Sturridge and Coutinho were in Liverpool's team so it was hardly a weak side. I think we'd have a better chance against Liverpool - West Ham are big, fast and powerful, especially on the break. We'll need to catch them on an off day to beat them. Don't like their fans - and not just because they're London.

I presume Moore, Hurst and Peters were playing ? Rovers were on fire that night, though I missed the start and the first goal if I remember because the ground was packed and we couldn't get in the Riverside. I do remember it cost 2s 6d to get in, 12 pence (yes 12p in today's money). No one could understand why we played so well in the cup but were so poor in the league. I guess the pressure was off I suppose. We lost 1-0 at home to Sheff Wed in the quarter-finals and Wednesday went on to reach the final, losing 3-2 to Everton.

Can't help you here Jim because I couldn't make the mid-week replay. I'm sure those 3 did play though.Went to the 1st game at West Ham and a right old rough-house it was. Happy to get out alive! Boy Byram got all three and we probably deserved to win.

Went to the Sheff Wed 6th round, full of hope and enthusiasm and we were dreadful. Complete contrast to the 2 Hammers games.

Ever thus with Rovers!

I hoped Liverpool would get through which would have guaranteed a full house and a great occasion. Is this the same stage we played Stoke last year? Arguably a more attractive game on a Saturday and we had around 10k home fans then didn't we? Gates have gone down since then as well. Hopefully folk will turn out for this one though. Decent chance of getting through even if they are a bit of a bogey team.

Can't help you here Jim because I couldn't make the mid-week replay. I'm sure those 3 did play though.Went to the 1st game at West Ham and a right old rough-house it was. Happy to get out alive! Boy Byram got all three and we probably deserved to win.

Went to the Sheff Wed 6th round, full of hope and enthusiasm and we were dreadful. Complete contrast to the 2 Hammers games.

Ever thus with Rovers!

Stood on the Chicken Run circa 1972 when Rovers (under the awful Jim Iley) took a 4-0 hammering at Upton Park. Not a nice place to be as the Cockney wide boys decided to take the mickey out of Alan Birchenall.

But wasn't Stoke at home last year the same, quater final place at stake, yet the attendance was 13,934 with about 4500 stoke fans and that game wasn't on tv either. Although ticket prices are lower for this game, however can't see the attendance being much more than 19k. Especially when you think that's all there was for the Burnley game.

But wasn't Stoke at home last year the same, quater final place at stake, yet the attendance was 13,934 with about 4500 stoke fans and that game wasn't on tv either. Although ticket prices are lower for this game, however can't see the attendance being much more than 19k. Especially when you think that's all there was for the Burnley game.

Yes you're right. Which really begs the question of what on earth is wrong at this football club.

How can we possibly get 11,000 home fans in the Championship against MK Dons and then only 13,000 in the 5th round of the FA Cup against Premier League opposition?

I just don't get it.

Surely if someone is a season ticket holder then it would be a no brainer to get a ticket for the cup game against better opposition than the usual Championship dross?

If so then we should have 10,000+ sold straight away.

On top of that surely there are Rovers fans/football fans in the region who would go out of their way to go to this game given the importance of it and the opposition?

It's been the case for a long time now that the Cup seems to be taken much less seriously by many Rovers supporters than run of the mill league games. Fair enough if we were playing Oxford at home but when its a decent Premier League side I don't understand such a lack of interest.

Yes you're right. Which really begs the question of what on earth is wrong at this football club.

How can we possibly get 11,000 home fans in the Championship against MK Dons and then only 13,000 in the 5th round of the FA Cup against Premier League opposition?

I just don't get it.

Surely if someone is a season ticket holder then it would be a no brainer to get a ticket for the cup game against better opposition than the usual Championship dross?

If so then we should have 10,000+ sold straight away.

On top of that surely there are Rovers fans/football fans in the region who would go out of their way to go to this game given the importance of it and the opposition?

It's been the case for a long time now that the Cup seems to be taken much less seriously by many Rovers supporters than run of the mill league games. Fair enough if we were playing Oxford at home but when its a decent Premier League side I don't understand such a lack of interest.

I have noticed generally that cup crowds are up this season, I suppose most clubs (and fans) are realising that the only glory they are likely to see is through a cup.

Lets see if Rovers continue the trend...

No excuse for people not to turn out for this, Prem team, big club with tradition, reasonable prices and KO time. Yes it's live but it's BT sport meaning loads in Blackburn would probably have to go to the pub and watch it anyway and poss spend more.

If we don't muster 12/13k home fans for this then it's a very poor do and shows our support up as @#/? yet again. They'll bring 4 or 5k so should be a decent atmosphere. Stoke last season was one of the best games and atmospheres for ages.

Will we top 20,000 for the first time this season?

Home to Burnley - attendance: 19,897

The last time we went a full season without at least one game with an attendance of over 20,000? **

1991/92 season - Highest - Playoff semi final vs. Derby County - attendance: 19,667

Interesting to see 1992/93 Quarter Final at home to Sheffield United on Saturday 6th March 1993 drew a crowd of just 6,721

**Ignores 1992/93 season when the Darwen End was under re-development**

Archived