BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup 2015/16

Mike E

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two terrible penalties from Posh to see them out to West Brom. To be fair they should never have let that 14 year old lad take one. I called it as a miss before he even stepped up.

exactly he never looked like scoring. Two young lads tossed to the lions there. Shame as they were the better side.

Good to see Liverpool have backed down on ST prices next year - shows spectators matter - Rovers?

Come on. In all fairness our ticket prices are very reasonable compared to the vast majority of clubs.The fans aren't turning up because of the tickets being too expensive.

It's £20 in all areas for the WHU game for example. Really can't complain about that.

Stood on the Chicken Run circa 1972 when Rovers (under the awful Jim Iley) took a 4-0 hammering at Upton Park. Not a nice place to be as the Cockney wide boys decided to take the mickey out of Alan Birchenall.

I think you are about a decade out there Jim!

Just checked ... Game was 30th December 1978, it was Alan Birchenall's debut ... and Iley had gone by then!

The problem with the FA Cup is that it has been devalued by the bigger clubs for years. The Premier League clubs especially resting their poor little things to stave off fatigue or injury and concentrating on their bread and butter, ie. the league. God forbid their league position suffers at the hands of some pesky cup.

In years gone by, it was just the opposite with bigger crowds turning out for attractive cup games, particularly at the Rovers who were, after all, a great cup team.

Back to the current era. For fifteen years or more the bigger clubs have fielded weaker teams up to and around the quarter finals stage. The fans don't need to be told any more, it's a certainty that it will happen. The reason for turning up in numbers in years gone by is that there was a chance of providing an upset against a team of stars and it was great to see your team do it. Now they have a chance of beating a Premier League team full of youngsters or reserves and the attraction just isn't there. It's the fault of the bigger clubs, certainly not that of the supporters.

Er ... It was in fact 15,107 !!

I remember it being a standard crowd at the time so don't know were this 6k thing has come from. Had to watch the second game at their place on tv and all they did was slag us off because we only took 3.5k.. Unreal the amount of unfair ill researched flak we used to get.

I remember it being a standard crowd at the time so don't know were this 6k thing has come from. Had to watch the second game at their place on tv and all they did was slag us off because we only took 3.5k.. Unreal the amount of unfair ill researched flak we used to get.

Proof you can't always believe what you read on wikipedia! :D

I was at work in my lunch hour and my Mike Jackman book was at home!

The 20,000 fans issue is more worrying though, would be another unwanted record for the Venkys regime.

That said, we still have to play Leeds at home so its not all riding on the West Ham match.

I remember having to travel to Sheffield twice within a couple of days that week! The other was at Hillsborough for the League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg.

I remember having to travel to Sheffield twice within a couple of days that week! The other was at Hillsborough for the League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg.

Yeah we had an absolute glut of games, obviously it was part and parcel of becoming successful but the press couldn't seem to get their heads around the fact the towns population didn't double overnight. Neither did peoples wages just because the club had become successful again :blink:

Come on. In all fairness our ticket prices are very reasonable compared to the vast majority of clubs.The fans aren't turning up because of the tickets being too expensive.

It's £20 in all areas for the WHU game for example. Really can't complain about that.

Wasn't meant to be a dig at the prices, more a comment on the club's attitude towards the fans since THEY took over - no complaints about the prices, one of the few reasons I still get a ST and go!

The problem with the FA Cup is that it has been devalued by the bigger clubs for years. The Premier League clubs especially resting their poor little things to stave off fatigue or injury and concentrating on their bread and butter, ie. the league. God forbid their league position suffers at the hands of some pesky cup.

In years gone by, it was just the opposite with bigger crowds turning out for attractive cup games, particularly at the Rovers who were, after all, a great cup team.

Back to the current era. For fifteen years or more the bigger clubs have fielded weaker teams up to and around the quarter finals stage. The fans don't need to be told any more, it's a certainty that it will happen. The reason for turning up in numbers in years gone by is that there was a chance of providing an upset against a team of stars and it was great to see your team do it. Now they have a chance of beating a Premier League team full of youngsters or reserves and the attraction just isn't there. It's the fault of the bigger clubs, certainly not that of the supporters.

A very simple rule change will immediately put some interest from the premier league teams straight back in to the competition. If the winners of the FA cup have a play off against the 4th team in the premier league to decide the final champions league place, that solves the problem. Granted on occasion you will get a team winning the cup who have qualified though the league, but not all the time. Imagine Chelsea and even Man U having that as a carrot this season? Both of them are still in and would be taking it more seriously. Also Liverpool would have been almost certain to have played the first team, rather than the kids.

A very simple rule change will immediately put some interest from the premier league teams straight back in to the competition. If the winners of the FA cup have a play off against the 4th team in the premier league to decide the final champions league place, that solves the problem. Granted on occasion you will get a team winning the cup who have qualified though the league, but not all the time. Imagine Chelsea and even Man U having that as a carrot this season? Both of them are still in and would be taking it more seriously. Also Liverpool would have been almost certain to have played the first team, rather than the kids.

No need to have a playoff. The FA cup winners obviously are more deserving of a place in the Champ league than the 4th in the Premiership.

No need to have a playoff. The FA cup winners obviously are more deserving of a place in the Champ league than the 4th in the Premiership.

What if the FA Cup winners (and runners up) finish 3rd or higher?

Personally I think that the sooner a European Super League arrives the better. Each nation's lowest placed ESL team would be replaced each season by the national domestic top flight champions. Which would keep the TV companies interested in the English top flight. The purists will cry foul but football needs to move on before the bubble bursts.

Obviously, the ESL originators will have to wait until clubs like Leicester go back in their box or that would ruin everything... ^_^

£20 a ticket (with saving for youngsters and oldies) is a great deal by Rovers.

Get down, support your Team and cheer them on to Wumberlee.

I agree, on both fronts, but it would have been an incredible deal if Liverpool had won the replay. Would have produced a sell-out.

I think the tie is more difficult to win now, as West Ham are a more settled, effective unit than Liverpool.

Will be a good game if PL can keep Payet and Antonio quiet. Antonio was one of the best players I saw at Ewood last season.

Archived