BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newport

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Set off at 7.30am and just walked through the door. Gutted!

Official coaches are getting their money back, I went on the Action Group coach and we aren't seeing a penny which is frustrating, but we're in same boat as those who drove and got the train I suppose.

I will go back down on the tuesday but whats to say it wont get called off again?!

Really crappy day!

Set off at 7.30am and just walked through the door. Gutted!

Official coaches are getting their money back, I went on the Action Group coach and we aren't seeing a penny which is frustrating, but we're in same boat as those who drove and got the train I suppose.

I will go back down on the tuesday but whats to say it wont get called off again?!

Really crappy day!

Feel for you pal, but you're a credit to the club and its supporters, take a bow :tu:

I'm really annoyed about yesterday. I was on a coach and we were on the way into Newport when it was called off.

It's particularly annoyed me that Newport put out a press release to the BBC saying they were confident of the game going ahead. Rain was always forecast from about 1pm onwards. I had posted at the outset on here I wasn't confident it would go ahead due to how easily the game was called off last week.

I want to go to the Replay but I am not prepared to chance it. People are acting like a monsoon came at 1pm. It wasn't. It was typical persistent rain like you would expect in a British winter! How do we know an hour long shower isn't going to happen on the evening of the replay causing it to be postponed again?! That's why I will be returning my ticket.

I know Middlesbrough fans may read this and think the old saying about glasshouses comes to light. However Ewood had 48 hours of some of the heaviest rain ever seen in this parts, causing the River Darwen to burst it's banks and devastating flooding nearby. Rodney Parade had an hour long shower before the pitch became unplayable!

I'm really annoyed about yesterday. I was on a coach and we were on the way into Newport when it was called off.

It's particularly annoyed me that Newport put out a press release to the BBC saying they were confident of the game going ahead. Rain was always forecast from about 1pm onwards. I had posted at the outset on here I wasn't confident it would go ahead due to how easily the game was called off last week.

I want to go to the Replay but I am not prepared to chance it. People are acting like a monsoon came at 1pm. It wasn't. It was typical persistent rain like you would expect in a British winter! How do we know an hour long shower isn't going to happen on the evening of the replay causing it to be postponed again?! That's why I will be returning my ticket.

I know Middlesbrough fans may read this and think the old saying about glasshouses comes to light. However Ewood had 48 hours of some of the heaviest rain ever seen in this parts, causing the River Darwen to burst it's banks and devastating flooding nearby. Rodney Parade had an hour long shower before the pitch became unplayable!

I'm not defending anybody but Newport were in a no win situation. There is simply nowhere for the water to go and a heavy shower was always going to jeopardise the game but you simply cannot call a game off or say it is in doubt based on a forecast. I saw the forecast and was on the train about half an hour from Newport when it started raining eavily. I also saw some pictures posted on here which set the alarm bells ringing.We arrived at Newport at 1.30 and the rain was really heavy, so much so that I got absolutely soaked to the skin walking only a couple of hundred yards. I shared a taxi with another Rovers fan and walked virtually the perimeter of the ground and was drenched. Outside the away end Rovers fans were milling around but we weren't allowed into the ground (although the stewards had let some in). This was around 1.50 and the referee was on the pitch with both managers. The stewards told us just after 2 that the game was off. All the Rovers fans were soaked to the skin and cold.

I have seen this situation several times as a referee and once called the game off at Luton at 14.40 as both teams were warming up and fans were in the ground. In the referees mind would have been real doubt about finishing the game had he started it as the rain never abated for some time after this.

It was a frustrating day for us all but I genuinely believe it was nobody's fault. As a gesture of goodwill I would like to see Rovers recompense all the fans who travelled either independently or officially.

I remember a game against wimbledon in 1993 that was called off at ewood as the teams were warming up ,that was a heavy shower .

I'm not defending anybody but Newport were in a no win situation. There is simply nowhere for the water to go and a heavy shower was always going to jeopardise the game but you simply cannot call a game off or say it is in doubt based on a forecast. I saw the forecast and was on the train about half an hour from Newport when it started raining eavily. I also saw some pictures posted on here which set the alarm bells ringing.We arrived at Newport at 1.30 and the rain was really heavy, so much so that I got absolutely soaked to the skin walking only a couple of hundred yards. I shared a taxi with another Rovers fan and walked virtually the perimeter of the ground and was drenched. Outside the away end Rovers fans were milling around but we weren't allowed into the ground (although the stewards had let some in). This was around 1.50 and the referee was on the pitch with both managers. The stewards told us just after 2 that the game was off. All the Rovers fans were soaked to the skin and cold.

I have seen this situation several times as a referee and once called the game off at Luton at 14.40 as both teams were warming up and fans were in the ground. In the referees mind would have been real doubt about finishing the game had he started it as the rain never abated for some time after this.

It was a frustrating day for us all but I genuinely believe it was nobody's fault. As a gesture of goodwill I would like to see Rovers recompense all the fans who travelled either independently or officially.

Fair enough I take all that on board. Our coach dropped us off in Newport centre, some walked up to the ground and were allowed in so that they could say they had been to Rodney Parade although I'm not sure it counts!

We were in the Cross Keys pub where Rovers fans tried to make the best of a bad situation

• Backroom

I remember a game against wimbledon in 1993 that was called off at ewood as the teams were warming up ,that was a heavy shower .

Hated fashanu and Jones a bit more after their antics then.

Anyway hasn't the Newport manager said he's disappointed and thinks the club could and should have done more?

Timing is everything in life, we arrived in Newport at 10;30, one of the easiest drives ever on emptyish roads and fine weather, parked up at the stadium near to the footbridge and had pleasant walk into town, by the time we came out of tgi's it was bouncing, we got soaked making our way back to the car and knew it would be off. Heavy rain on already sodden ground, nowt anybody could do for mine, but frustrating all the same.

Horrid drive back with it lashing down all the way bar about 20 mins sw of brum. Back in Blackpool for 17:30, straight to the local, and therefore failed miserably with my attempt of a dry Saturday ☹️ For which I hold that Rodney Parade responsible!

From what I can tell Newport covered one half of their pitch and had they covered the full pitch (it's anyone's guess why that didn't happen) chances are it would have been on. Certainly their manager seems to place blame with their ground staff.

It's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last I went to Fulham one year think Portsmouth as well and was called off for a frozen pitch. Arguably that irritated me more because no self respecting premier league team at the time shouldn't have under soil heating whereas Newport are basically a non league set up doing their best allegedly.

Anyway anyone know when "replay" is? I'm guessing Tuesday 19th or Wednesday 20th.

But even lambert said he was on the pitch this morning and it didn't even enter his head there would be a problem

The pitch in parts was a pond it couldn't of been completely covered it should of been called off the night before

ok it rained hard when we had a pint in the clubhouse then stopped around 3.30 so we had a wander into the ground

Hated fashanu and Jones a bit more after their antics then.

Anyway hasn't the Newport manager said he's disappointed and thinks the club could and should have done more?

I wonder how John Sheridan would feel if the groundsman started making public announcements on behalf of the club disagreeing with his team selections and tactics. Very poor form from their manager that, even if what he says was true.

We live in a blame culture these days but sometimes you just have to accept the circumstances and say fair enough. Newport are a club who don't have great facilities, they wanted to play the game and then bad weather intervened. Imagine the furore if they had called it off on friday and then it turned out they could have played anyway. It's not always someone's fault when these things happen. Sickened for those who travelled though.

Once went to Cambridge on a Tuesday night for the game to be called off at H/T due to freezing fog, that was a long way back and up for work the next morning, its all part and parcel of being a football fan chaps.

You're all a credit to the club :tu:

Once went to Cambridge on a Tuesday night for the game to be called off at H/T due to freezing fog, that was a long way back and up for work the next morning, its all part and parcel of being a football fan chaps.

Ha, I missed the coach for that one. What a relief that was.

I was at that game as well, so was one of my travelling party yesterday. That match was raised, as was the generous offer that CUFC made to us on the way out of showing the ticket for that match would guarantee us a free programme for the replayed fixture. Not heard of such a great offer since the Corleone's!

i remember one new years day going to i think derby? and that was called off late and i was dressed as a panda and we went if i rember correctly forest liverpool.

i remember one new years day going to i think derby? and that was called off late and i was dressed as a panda and we went if i rember correctly forest liverpool.

Not sure about that one pal, then again you're much older than me, late 60's was it 😂

Arrived by train at Newport station at midday and dry as a bone. Sampled a few beers in the John Wallace Linton Spoons just round the corner where there was loads of Rovers and Newport fans.

From whom I spoke to, many had got the 6am train from Blackburn or had got a 7am bus and we're all looking forward to the game. The Newport fans were saying how much the revenue will benefit the club, not only from ticket sales but all the vip boxes were sold out and the sponsership money for the match. There was no way they could afford to call the game off and every effort was being made as everyone new the rain was due.

I kept looking at Twitter, especially when the rain started after 1pm. I saw a photo posted about 1:45pm and the game was going ahead as the officials were happy with the playing surface.

Happy days and left the pub around 2pm to head to Rodney Parade. We got soaked to the skin walking there and then to find out if was off was a real let down. The rain seemed to be easing off but looking a the pools of standing water, you can see why it's been postponed.

We went back to the pub after it looked like we had been for a swim in the river. Had a couple more pints and everyone there looked very disapointed. Newport fans did show us a lot of sympathy having travelled all that way and there seemed to be a really good vibe all day. They we're not happy with the ground staff or their 1 year old drainage system which has totally failed them in recent weeks. They said that now the match will be re-arranged for the midweek after next, the revenue won't have the same impact. 1200 Rovers fans won't make the long journey for many reasons like work, kids etc and the same for the Newport fans. There will be loads of refunds and they will be lucky to get half of the predicted Saturday attendence.

Got home 4 hours after leaving Newport. I'll definately make my best effort to go the new date when it's announced. Yesterday was just a real shame for everyone involved.

I can remember sometime in the early 70s coming twice on the train from Sheffield to Bolton for an FA cup replay midweek and both were postponed by the time I got there. Played third time and I think Rovers won, but of course I couldn't get there.

Archived