BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shaw Leaves!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to someone who posted on here a while ago Shaw was only at Ewood about one day a week so I can't see his departure will make much difference to us at all.

Leaves a bitter taste that his last act was to negotiate a terrible cut price deal on Rhodes.

Not much point celebrating until we see who if anyone replaces him. Will he be replaced at all or is this further worrying evidence that the V's might be preparing to suddenly up sticks? Do we need an expensive chief executive now we barely have any worthwhile assets left?

His replacement, if there is one, will tell us a lot about the V's intentions.

As one of "Shelfie's" biggest fans I am shocked to see this happening.

With 'immediate' effect is very significant and shows at last very decisive action and some pre-planning to have a 'figurehead' ready to join.

In a First XI of Rovers Chairman Derek Shaw does not make the Substitutes Bench.

People still have not realised that Venkys have no love for our club?

It is but an asset to them, one they really don't want to have, have no idea how to run and have no intention to fund properly.

It is pissing money out of all the cracks and they cannot stop it, the last thing they want to do is spend more money trying to fix it.

They won't be happy nor stop messing with all aspects of the club until the figures start breaking even, if you think that means getting us promotions or hiring the right people, then sadly you are wrong. They don't care where we end up, they don't understand football and never will.

Their intentions are to re-build the club from the ground up as a business that makes a profit, that is not how football works, so we are screwed until we get new owners.

That is the obvious truth that is staring us all in the face. Stop looking for hidden meanings in everything and just face reality - Venkys haven't funded us properly from the outset and after all these years they are still scrimping and saving...

Sacking/Forcing the MD out, right after the transfer window closes.. ridiculously callous if you ask me.

Feeling sorry for yourself eh Derek?

Nothing callous about it, Shaw has quite rightly been a dead man walking for ages. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe him.

To have been a fly on the wall in the corridors of power at Ewood Park these last few weeks!

Lets suppose that the statement released by Rovers is correct, and that Shaw has decided he's had enough and has walked away with immediate effect. That could make some sense given the transfer window has just closed. Maybe he told the club he was going earlier and agreed to remain until now to sign off any transfers that were agreed and has now gone to give the club a good window of time before the summer to bring in his replacement.

The other way at looking at it is that if the sole reason for his departure is his own personal life and other business interests then why the sudden decision to leave with immediate effect? Why do it on a Tuesday night in February just after the window has closed? He's been in the job now for nearly 4 years, had all sorts of stress and mess to deal with in that time. There were many other more obvious stages at which he could have walked away, including in the summer.

The other possibility is that something has happened during the transfer window that has made Shaw's position untenable/seen him sacked. The obvious suspicion is that this has something to do with the Rhodes transfer. Alternatively there might have been other signings lined up that weren't completed.

I don't know the man and I don't think any of us on here actually know the fine details of his role and what it included. The vast majority of what I read about him is negative, with a few people going against that trend by saying he actually did some good work in recent seasons in driving down costs and saving money at Ewood. All I can say is whatever his role was, the overriding image I got was of a man who had little/no contact with his bosses in India and as a result had little/no idea what was going on or what the future held.

If it is true that his role was basically part time then that is highly worrying, as I find it unbelievable that a club of this size with a payroll and workforce and facilities as we have would not have a CEO/MD/Chairman in a full time position, especially when the ultimate power rests in a different time zone on the other side of the world.

There were many rumours at the time of Bowyer's departure and Lambert's appointment that Shaw had been completely sidelined and was close to the exit. Perhaps he decided then he was going and stayed until now to help with the January window.

The growing influence of Mr Pasha has also to be watched. It seems he was the man who decided Bowyer had to go and then persuaded Lambert to come in, and no doubt he had a part to play in lifting the embargo too. By several accounts he was in and around Ewood Park over the last few days. Perhaps he is going to become our new Executive with permission to act on Venkys behalf, though I doubt he is equipped with the necessary experience/qualifications to completely fill the MD role.

If they are going down this route of appointing 'one of their own' to unofficially run the club then they could do a lot worse than appointing some sort of figurehead as 'Chairman' who might not have any day to day power or responsibility, but would be a well known person (former player or staff member) who the fans would respect and who could provide the link between owners and fans whilst representing the club at events/games.

What happens next will be very interesting. This could be another step on the path to rebuilding by putting in place a solid, proper structure and competent executive management. As they showed with appointing Lambert, proven and respected people will come here if they are wanted. On the other hand the last thing we want or need is a return to the rudderless structure we had between 2010-13 with powerless directors and infighting.

Another big step taken in the rebuilding of this football club. Good news. Don't believe any of the nonsense rumours about him being fired because he sold Rhodes without Venky's permission.

To have been a fly on the wall in the corridors of power at Ewood Park these last few weeks!

Lets suppose that the statement released by Rovers is correct, and that Shaw has decided he's had enough and has walked away with immediate effect. That could make some sense given the transfer window has just closed. Maybe he told the club he was going earlier and agreed to remain until now to sign off any transfers that were agreed and has now gone to give the club a good window of time before the summer to bring in his replacement.

The other way at looking at it is that if the sole reason for his departure is his own personal life and other business interests then why the sudden decision to leave with immediate effect? Why do it on a Tuesday night in February just after the window has closed? He's been in the job now for nearly 4 years, had all sorts of stress and mess to deal with in that time. There were many other more obvious stages at which he could have walked away, including in the summer.

The other possibility is that something has happened during the transfer window that has made Shaw's position untenable/seen him sacked. The obvious suspicion is that this has something to do with the Rhodes transfer. Alternatively there might have been other signings lined up that weren't completed.

I don't know the man and I don't think any of us on here actually know the fine details of his role and what it included. The vast majority of what I read about him is negative, with a few people going against that trend by saying he actually did some good work in recent seasons in driving down costs and saving money at Ewood. All I can say is whatever his role was, the overriding image I got was of a man who had little/no contact with his bosses in India and as a result had little/no idea what was going on or what the future held.

If it is true that his role was basically part time then that is highly worrying, as I find it unbelievable that a club of this size with a payroll and workforce and facilities as we have would not have a CEO/MD/Chairman in a full time position, especially when the ultimate power rests in a different time zone on the other side of the world.

There were many rumours at the time of Bowyer's departure and Lambert's appointment that Shaw had been completely sidelined and was close to the exit. Perhaps he decided then he was going and stayed until now to help with the January window.

The growing influence of Mr Pasha has also to be watched. It seems he was the man who decided Bowyer had to go and then persuaded Lambert to come in, and no doubt he had a part to play in lifting the embargo too. By several accounts he was in and around Ewood Park over the last few days. Perhaps he is going to become our new Executive with permission to act on Venkys behalf, though I doubt he is equipped with the necessary experience/qualifications to completely fill the MD role.

If they are going down this route of appointing 'one of their own' to unofficially run the club then they could do a lot worse than appointing some sort of figurehead as 'Chairman' who might not have any day to day power or responsibility, but would be a well known person (former player or staff member) who the fans would respect and who could provide the link between owners and fans whilst representing the club at events/games.

What happens next will be very interesting. This could be another step on the path to rebuilding by putting in place a solid, proper structure and competent executive management. As they showed with appointing Lambert, proven and respected people will come here if they are wanted. On the other hand the last thing we want or need is a return to the rudderless structure we had between 2010-13 with powerless directors and infighting.

From the sounds of it, Shaw didn't realise he was getting potted yesterday and neither did any of the staff at Ewood. The statement was to save face on Shaw's part.

f they are going down this route of appointing 'one of their own' to unofficially run the club then they could do a lot worse than appointing some sort of figurehead as 'Chairman' who might not have any day to day power or responsibility, but would be a well known person (former player or staff member) who the fans would respect and who could provide the link between owners and fans whilst representing the club at events/games

I think Tony Parkes could fill the figurehead position if that was the route being taken

In my opinion the role of managing director is hugely important and the last thing we need is another puppet or figurehead.

For a club to prosper it needs the right people in strategic roles.

I still believe we may now have one of those people in Lambert.

The appointment of Shaw's successor is equally important and will determine our chances of moving forwards.

Being a CEO of a football club is no different to being the CEO of any other large company, if Suhail Pasha is an experienced and competent businessman I couldn't care less whether he as a background in football or not. To be honest having a background that is not in football may be preferable, as it may be run with a modicum of sense!

I'm not too sure if the story read differently at some point, but currently is does not state he was sacked.

It doesn't but its pretty clear he was!

The Rovers statement is very brief but it could well imply that the owners thought Shaw was spending too much time on his own business and not enough at Rovers while drawing a handsome full-time salary.

"Could not reconcile the time he needed for his own business with etc" or whatever the wording was.

Sounded very "Yes Minister" to me!

It doesn't but its pretty clear he was!

The Rovers statement is very brief but it could well imply that the owners thought Shaw was spending too much time on his own business and not enough at Rovers while drawing a handsome full-time salary.

"Could not reconcile the time he needed for his own business with etc" or whatever the wording was.

Sounded very "Yes Minister" to me!

That's what some closer to the action have been implying since he arrived. Not saying the next one will be any different but it would be nice to have someone who has the job at heart.

Archived