BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anthony Stokes

Tom

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't, as you already know it's just a pathetically low amount.

Just play it safe and assume it's less than 50 career apps

Actually, the moral is don't try to copy and paste a chart. I did try to delete it and that wouldn't work either.

However, I guess the large number of naughts does give a sense of the outrage in giving him a contract in the first place.

Stokes claims to have owned a Rovers shirt with Shearer on the back in his younger days....never a fan though!

Just seen that on the late Granada news.

"For the last 2 weeks of the 95 season" - I find it hard to trust glory hunters.

• Backroom

Just seen that on the late Granada news.

"For the last 2 weeks of the 95 season" - I find it hard to trust glory hunters.

He'll have been 7 at the time, while Shearer was potentially regarded among the world's best strikers at the time. Plus our kit is awesome :P

Oh for God's sake, we get it!

Jerome Anderson, Kean, Venky's, all those useless players we've had since Venky's took over and all the useless players we will have in the future..

We get what's happened in the past, we get what's going on in the club right now but when it comes down to it we all have a decision to make.

Do we boycott the team or support them because no matter who's in charge, who owns the club or who plays for us a team is going to put on those blue and white halves and get on the pitch.

Are you going to support them or blast them before they've even kicked a ball for us?

Clearly Myles didn't deserve his chance did he? He was part of a pretty obvious scam.

This is is the conundrum for Rovers supporters these days. Can you support "the team" without supporting the corruption that surrounds the club?

You would not help to finance corruption in any other field of life would you?

Clearly Myles didn't deserve his chance did he? He was part of a pretty obvious scam.

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a second, Myles Anderson is certainly not the first sub standard footballer to get a contract because daddy had contacts in the game. Weren't the two Pauls (Dalglish and Harford's sons) also on bigger contracts than you would expect them to be in proportion to their talent?

Not suggesting you're not correct, but they're all at it - football must be one of the most nepotistic businesses going.

It did however seem a bit more organised and systematic in the Anderson (snr) case.

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a second, Myles Anderson is certainly not the first sub standard footballer to get a contract because daddy had contacts in the game. Weren't the two Pauls (Dalglish and Harford's sons) also on bigger contracts than you would expect them to be in proportion to their talent?

Not suggesting you're not correct, but they're all at it - football must be one of the most nepotistic businesses going.

It did however seem a bit more organised and systematic in the Anderson (snr) case.

Nepotism is rife in football Andy but the big difference between the two Pauls and Anderson was that the latter was the son of the managers agent as opposed to managers sons, thus corruption rather than nepotism. And Paul Dalglish had a bit of talent. I refereed him when he was playing for Bruce Rioch at Norwich in the Championship and he was ok.

Nepotism is rife in football Andy but the big difference between the two Pauls and Anderson was that the latter was the son of the managers agent as opposed to managers sons, thus corruption rather than nepotism. And Paul Dalglish had a bit of talent. I refereed him when he was playing for Bruce Rioch at Norwich in the Championship and he was ok.

Take your point about Dalglish jnr Tony but my point was the size of his contract (while with us) in proportion to his footballing skill.

By the way, in my industry nepotism IS corruption, and actually being the manager's son rather than the manager's agent's son would in some ways be seen as worse. You have to jump through hoops to employ or give a contract to someone who you have any kind of relationship with, so much so that they actually end up being disadvantaged.

I'm only playing devil's advocate really - in my view what has happened at Rovers has simply shone a light on what a horrible industry football is, and the power that the likes of Sky Sports has.

I have no idea how people can say Stokes is a terrible signing. Yes he wasn't great in the English leagues but the guy was still in his teens/early twenties. Since then he has done extremely well in Scotland and on the face of it, it looks like a great signing. I wish instead of people attacking the team before a ball is even kicked that they focused on attacking the owners.

• Backroom

Just saw highlights from the Scottish cup final. First time I've seen Anthony Stokes in action. Looks composed on the ball and looks like he has a good shot on him. Decent pace too.

While I agree, and remain positive about the move, be wary of going on cup final performances.

Jordi played well in the Worthy Cup final :P

I have no idea how people can say Stokes is a terrible signing. Yes he wasn't great in the English leagues but the guy was still in his teens/early twenties. Since then he has done extremely well in Scotland and on the face of it, it looks like a great signing. I wish instead of people attacking the team before a ball is even kicked that they focused on attacking the owners.

Perhaps they've seen him play.

I have never heard of him never mind seen him play.

Perhaps they've seen him play.

I have never heard of him never mind seen him play.

He's a country mile better than Brown, Delfonseuo, Koita, and Jackson put together. And I've seen him play regularly for about 6 years now.

He's a country mile better than Brown, Delfonseuo, Koita, and Jackson put together. And I've seen him play regularly for about 6 years now.

do you personally rate him? And having seen him play, how do you think he'll do for us overall?

It's not always easy to tell how a player will do in England based on their performances in Scotland but he only got farmed out on loan from Celtic because he fell out with the manager. That said, I thought he would go to a bigger club than us (or stay with Hibs).

He needs to get a little bit fitter, but he's like Conway with more goals in him.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived