BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

I said this recently. Club captain, England u21 caps galore and PL experience, surely there would be some saleable worth with him but the suits at Ewood and lunatics in Pune are running the risk of him walking for next to nothing in six moths. I think there would be some compensation due should he leave, maybe they are banking on this.

not sure you get compensation for 25 year olds?

Lowe will probably be offered a deal as close to the new season as possible so he's cheaper. If he goes that's another wage off the books for Venky's. We'll then get someone on loan and pay 10% of his wages. Win-win-win for our owners. We'll eventaully end up with no saleable player assets. We aren't far away now. Then the 'fun' really begins. :(

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said this recently. Club captain, England u21 caps galore and PL experience, surely there would be some saleable worth with him but the suits at Ewood and lunatics in Pune are running the risk of him walking for next to nothing in six moths. I think there would be some compensation due should he leave, maybe they are banking on this.

Unfortunately in this case you give the lunes too much credit, not a penny of compensation would be due as only players under the age of 24 trigger compensation for the club. Lowe is 25. I would guess he is one of the highest paid at the club, talks should have been held last summer re: new deal and if he wanted too much cash try to sell and as you say we would have at least got some money for him.

not sure you get compensation for 25 year olds?

Lowe will probably be offered a deal as close to the new season as possible so he's cheaper. If he goes that's another wage off the books for Venky's. We'll then get someone on loan and pay 10% of his wages. Win-win-win for our owners. We'll eventaully end up with no saleable player assets. We aren't far away now. Then the 'fun' really begins. :(

I honestly don't know how it works but I recall somewhere that a club were paid compensation because they bought the player through their Academy. It was almost recompense for the expense they incurred but I haven't a clue when the becomes invalid.

A nagging part of me does always come back to thinking Jason Lowe is on far more than we could ever have guessed/worried. If he was to leave before the end of his contract somebody would have to marry up the fee between his pay here and his pay at his new club until the end of his Rovers contract.

I always remember Givet turning down a few moves due to us and his new clubs being poles apart when trying to marry up his wages between our big pay and his new smaller pay.

Ashley @#/? Barnes and some no mark from France. Fantastic. Perhaps they'll be good enough for League 1?

You know what DE, if this was Souey or Hughes signing this Ba guy, I would not be upset about it. We saw how good Samba and Nelsen were. But because it's Coyle, I'm terrified

Nailed it- the only constant is SEM in the background.

I can smell the stink from thousands of miles away.

Anyway, glad I put the jinx on dingles getting Snodgrass.

If only there had been a FA man at the club that somehow survived the Venky's/Sem/Kentaro planned cull

BBC reporter tweeting Marshall to Wolves nowhere near, Wolves happy to wait until summer

https://twitter.com/patmurphybbc/status/824733211880255492

Kenny Senior will not be popular if the Marshall deal doesnt get over the line before he can leave on a free

With Ba it sounds like a shop window job, come in and do well he'll be gone as soon as an offer comes in if vested interest parties sniff a % from sell ons. I hope if he comes he does the job but it's a risk and right now we shouldn't be gambling signing guys who might be worth a few quid in 12 months we need a few guys for the job in hand even if they are loans.

So really the free transfer is a glorified loan, no upfront fee, rovers pay the wages but the proceeds of any sale are split. Slightly more risk as Rovers hold the registration (assuming its not a third party ownership!), but in essence the club is becoming a showroom for used players........."low mileage, three previous owners, good runner. Yours for a monkey, plus commission"

That's exactly the way it'll be set up and why the club is at least 50% just an agents vehicle. Just look at the 2 French lads brought in (and i say brought in) under Bowyer, a few games with no real telling contribution to the team and one goes out for several hundred grand more than he came in.

It's all well and good if it works out but it's not being done for football reasons nothing is at Ewood under this regime. The club is owned by a holding company which is ironic because it seems nothing more than a holding company itself for players to tread water for a season or two whilst their value increases.

Wolves threatening to leave it until the summer is probably a bargaining chip to force Rovers to reduce their asking price. I've said it until blue in the face there's no way Wolves or any other club will be offering millions for Marshall when they can get him for nothing in a few months. Anyone with any sense knows it and if you believe Nixon's nonsense about £1.85 million or £2 million you really need a reality check.

He might have been worth that last summer and that might be what Venkys in their deluded warped world think they should be getting for him, but the reality is very different as we are going to find out. Senior was probably recruited to handle negotiations with the likes of Wolves and bring his 'expertise' to the table and in doing so get deals done quicker and with a greater financial reward for Venkys. They've probably been getting concerned that Charlie Cheston and Pasha between them actually aren't fit to hold the position they do and for a club so keen to sell everyone and pocket the cash you really need someone in position who is an 'expert' in the field and can handle the market.

I'd still expect the deal with Marshall do be done on Monday or Tuesday. That way any incomings are impossible. Wolves will probably table a take it or leave it £300k offer at the 11th hour which is loose change to clubs with ambition who actually invest money rather than pretend to invest whilst just paying the bills. Venkys will accept this bid rather than nothing in a few months. Overall it will get them about £500k so job's a good one.

Given how many out-of-contract players have already reportedly gone for multi-million £ transfers this window, I don't see why it's so ridiculous that Marshall will go for £1m+. Hell, we reportedly got £750k-£1M for Olsson last year and Lambert was quick to tout the fee we got for him in the media.

Now, I'm sure someone will point out to me in caps lock the word 'reportedly'... but that kinda implies not believing every transfer fee reported ever (which is fair enough I suppose)

Rovers will be waiting to see which division we're in next season, before offering Lowe a new contract. He will be on big wages. Isn't there a ruling that says if a club offers a player less money, the player can leave for free? If that's so, I just can't see him being here next year.

Marshall goes, no signings but Lowe gets a new contract instead. That'd go down well :o

Chestons next powerpoint telling us they've invested several million into this lad because he's a Rover through and through and might be worth 5 mill in 18 months........

Nailed it- the only constant is SEM in the background.

I can smell the stink from thousands of miles away.

Anyway, glad I put the jinx on dingles getting Snodgrass.

I'm not one to look for excuses concerning our owners and their associates, but isn't this simply how clubs operates these days? Scouting networks are expensive, laborious and gets torn down regularly as managers are sacked and the new ones want to bring their people in, it's much cheaper, quicker, and easier to snag a few brown envelopes by keeping close contacts with agents/agencies instead.

• Backroom

You know what DE, if this was Souey or Hughes signing this Ba guy, I would not be upset about it. We saw how good Samba and Nelsen were. But because it's Coyle, I'm terrified

Absolutely, plus the fact that this guy has apparently been available on a "free transfer" for a while now and apparently nobody except us is interested. If a player is openly available for this long and has no other interest then you can safely assume he's not up to much (or his agents are ensuring he goes somewhere specifically...)

Would people want Lowe with us in league 1?

Must be around his level?

Just thinking that if he goes, anyone else who comes in to replace him would probably be at league 2 level.

I'd be quite happy to never seen Lowe in our shirt again. That said, he probably would be adequate in League One and below. Chances are another lower Championship team will take him on as a squad player though.

Wolves threatening to leave it until the summer is probably a bargaining chip to force Rovers to reduce their asking price. I've said it until blue in the face there's no way Wolves or any other club will be offering millions for Marshall when they can get him for nothing in a few months. Anyone with any sense knows it and if you believe Nixon's nonsense about £1.85 million or £2 million you really need a reality check.

He might have been worth that last summer and that might be what Venkys in their deluded warped world think they should be getting for him, but the reality is very different as we are going to find out. Senior was probably recruited to handle negotiations with the likes of Wolves and bring his 'expertise' to the table and in doing so get deals done quicker and with a greater financial reward for Venkys. They've probably been getting concerned that Charlie Cheston and Pasha between them actually aren't fit to hold the position they do and for a club so keen to sell everyone and pocket the cash you really need someone in position who is an 'expert' in the field and can handle the market.

I'd still expect the deal with Marshall do be done on Monday or Tuesday. That way any incomings are impossible. Wolves will probably table a take it or leave it £300k offer at the 11th hour which is loose change to clubs with ambition who actually invest money rather than pretend to invest whilst just paying the bills. Venkys will accept this bid rather than nothing in a few months. Overall it will get them about £500k so job's a good one.

Actually, the funny part is this, if Venkys had given Marshall a new contract, they would have been right to demand x amount of millions for him. The fact that they were too cheap to do that, means that they could end up getting nothing for him.

For me we need to keep Jason Lowe. He was decent in the EPL and lost his way a little since. Under the right manager he is useful and breaks up play. Give him a contract!

I would love us to sign James Henry. Sack Coyle bring in Jackett, Hill, or Rowett :)

Jason Lowe, why are you posting on here? :D

Actually, the funny part is this, if Venkys had given Marshall a new contract, they would have been right to demand x amount of millions for him. The fact that they were too cheap to do that, means that they could end up getting nothing for him.

Jason Lowe, why are you posting on here? :D

One of the problems is, as mentioned by Cheston during his slideshow presentation, is that they consider their 'investment' to also cover the entirety of a players contract.

Cheston mentioned a 'commitment' of however many millions of pounds in the summer, which when you consider they signed about 10 players and handed out 1/2/3 year deals is probably right.

In Marshall's case, even if they were prepared to match or better his existing wages, lets say he's would have needed £15k a week to sign a new deal and wanted a 4 year extension.

In the scheme of things that probably isn't a lot of money. Wolves will pay it no problem, many other Championship clubs would no problem, but to Venkys that is £15k a week for 4 years = nearly £3 million 'commitment'.

On the flip side if they can swap Marshall for an £8k a week player on a 2 year deal like the market Coyle has been operating in, then suddenly that commitment drops to under £1 million.

I'm sure that's the way they are looking at things. Cheston gave that game away in his circus act at the q & a session. Of course the majority of other owners and clubs don't approach things that way and consider investment to be cold hard cash for quality players rather than expecting gratitude for meeting their own contractual obligations, but this is Venkys.

That's probably why they were happy to sanction the Danny Graham deal, because in comparison to Rhodes' 4 year deal and £30k+ a week if Graham is on for 3 years at £15-20k then they are happy things are moving in the right direction. Hanley and Duffy on 4 year deals at £10-15k a week replaced with Wes Brown and Gordon Greer on £7k a week for 1 year. £3 million commitment replaced with £500,000 commitment.

Archived