BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Rovers get a massive investment then selling players is the only way the club can operate. Some of our supporters have to get used to that idea. We are a selling club end of. If Hanley goes for £8m plus add ons then for me that is excellent business. The same could be said for Duffy. If he is sold at a huge profit for what we bought him for then again, its great business for the club.

We have a quality set of young players, its time to groom them on the pitch. You never know we might well have a real gem in the background because the results show that we can compete at u21/u19 and u18 levels.

Can't see it making a difference. When Coyle brought in those loans he goes on about, he was managing Premier League teams. I don't think playing some talented youngsters in the Prem a good few years ago will influence a club to loan to us over anyone else, no matter how much he yaps on about it.

As for Traore, all well and good enquiring but I'm not going to praise Coyle for asking the questions. He should be on the phone to every Prem club asking who they've got who is decent and should be looking to fill the positions where we are most in need.

Depends on how he treated them and if he brought them on as players if so they might be more open to loaning a player to a manager they trust to help progress players.

Unless Rovers get a massive investment then selling players is the only way the club can operate. Some of our supporters have to get used to that idea. We are a selling club end of. If Hanley goes for £8m plus add ons then for me that is excellent business. The same could be said for Duffy. If he is sold at a huge profit for what we bought him for then again, its great business for the club.

We have a quality set of young players, its time to groom them on the pitch. You never know we might well have a real gem in the background because the results show that we can compete at u21/u19 and u18 levels.

The massive investment should be coming from our current owners, who owe us big time.

If not, they should kindly clear off and let someone who cares about the club and understands football have a crack at it.

It's okay to be a selling club when there is a sensible, coherent strategy in place.

If only we had (supposed) billionaire owners who "never refuse to put their money in"...

Erm... that's all well and good but only if the money is reinvested into the playing staff. Using that cash to help develop other teams' youngsters only work if it's a temporary measure because you have the ambition to get promoted.

Otherwise, it's great business for Venkys. Some of our supporters have "got used to" that idea. Sadly most of them have left because of it.

You seem to be warming to slumdogs wazza pal

• Backroom

Why would we care what is good business for Venky's? We're already hundreds of pounds in debt and even if we got £20m for Hanley that would still cover less than 1/5th of the debt we've accrued. Honestly, I can't see how anybody who wasn't working for or onside with Venky's can try to convince other fans that selling our top players is for the best. It won't seem so great when we're plummeting into League One and beyond, I can assure you. I imagine it was the same posters who assured us we'd be fine when Samba, Nelsen, Salgado, Emerton, etc were booted or frozen out of the club. Going well so far, lads.

As for our quality youth... when even Parson is saying the majority of the youngsters aren't ready to make the step up, it's fairly obvious what is going to happen if we go down that route. Again, if you're hoping for anything other than relegation chances are you'll be very disappointed.

Part of the issue is ambition. Its all well and good saying we are a 'selling club' (every club in the Championship is one) but selling your prized assets to Championship rivals is basically waving the white flag on pushing on and improving.

If Hanley wants to go to Newcastle or Norwich then that tells us all we need to know about his opinions on the direction this club is taking. Neither Newcastle nor Norwich will be able to offer him a better standard of football for at least 12 months.

Clubs like Watford and Bournemouth were selling clubs but they wanted promotion and realised the importance of retaining their better players to do that. We appear to have given up on the idea of promotion and now have owners and staff who are quite happy to offload our better players every season even to rivals. Sooner or later those assets are going to run out. Sooner or later the club will need to decide what path it wants to follow, because at the moment there is no plan or identity. Its cobbling a squad together without spending money whilst cashing in on whoever it can. It isnt sustainable, and it certainly won't lead to footballing success.

Cheston seemed very happy that Irvine had jumped ship to Norwich, now a week later Norwich are apparently interested in Hanley. Not a coincidence.

Part of the issue is ambition. Its all well and good saying we are a 'selling club' (every club in the Championship is one) but selling your prized assets to Championship rivals is basically waving the white flag on pushing on and improving.

If Hanley wants to go to Newcastle or Norwich then that tells us all we need to know about his opinions on the direction this club is taking. Neither Newcastle nor Norwich will be able to offer him a better standard of football for at least 12 months.

Clubs like Watford and Bournemouth were selling clubs but they wanted promotion and realised the importance of retaining their better players to do that. We appear to have given up on the idea of promotion and now have owners and staff who are quite happy to offload our better players every season even to rivals. Sooner or later those assets are going to run out. Sooner or later the club will need to decide what path it wants to follow, because at the moment there is no plan or identity. Its cobbling a squad together without spending money whilst cashing in on whoever it can. It isnt sustainable, and it certainly won't lead to footballing success.

Cheston seemed very happy that Irvine had jumped ship to Norwich, now a week later Norwich are apparently interested in Hanley. Not a coincidence.

Did Bournemouth not break FFP rules when they went up? Watford just nicked top quality players off their owners other clubs. Neither were 'selling' clubs in the traditional sense.

I'd imagine Cheston is very happy there could be a bidding war for Hanley, but selling him would be utter folly unless that money is reinvested in young talent...which it won't be. You're right though, getting young lads on loan and signing players approaching 30 isn't sustainable at all. I really worry they're gonna throw some academy lads in too soon and ruin them.

We are not just a selling Club....we are already acting like a League 1 Club.

Is there any point in having incompetent but wealthy Owners if we are just asset stripping and dumming down?

Apart from UncleJack's physical Infrastructure nothing is left...no Management, no fans, no Quality football. no hope.!

Venkys Out

• Moderation Lead

I'm not getting used to anything.

Not least supposed billionaire owners running us on the cheap, running up debts and cashing in on our assets year on year and consistently downgrading the squad. Nah, @#/? that.

On principle i would agree - in practice a genuinely decent player could lift the team and give us a boost up the table making future recruitment a little easier. The loan could also be extended but on different terms if the player is key to us but still way off the team at parent club.

Fair point. I'm just not keen on a player being here just for the sake of getting a few games and keeping someone else out or keeping the potential of a full time signing at bay then going after a month or two.

The loan of Barrow from Swansea annoyed me a bit as he didn't really do anything here then just got going and went back then immediately started doing ok for his club it seemed. Didn't benefit us one bit really but if he'd been here a season he might have shone for us.

Yes let's all accept mediocrity because that's what we have to get used to. Bullshit, lets accept venkys have ruined the club and need booting out as far as they can go, anyone who thinks selling players on for a profit and dumbing down needs their heads seeing to.

The more we sell, the more games we lose, the more fans we lose, the more money we lose, the more we have to sell, the more games we lose, the more fans we lose...........

At some point the closed loop has to be opened.

What's the plan Cheston?

JAL, we don't know if Coyles got a deal like Holloway had at Bpool, do you know?

You'd started to post in more coherent way recently, don't go back to this kind of repetitive nonsense please.

Just practising a different angle Gav.

The more we sell, the more games we lose, the more fans we lose, the more money we lose, the more we have to sell, the more games we lose, the more fans we lose...........

At some point the closed loop has to be opened.

What's the plan Cheston?

Employ a guy with a poor track record and touch wood!

Oh, and tell the supporters off for not buying season tickets.

Thing is, being a selling club does not necessarily mean that you never pay a fee for a player.

Blimey, even in the mid 80's we made a few shrewd signings involving s fee, where the players were later sold on for much higher prices.

Then, so the logic goes apparently, Venkys will be forced to sell. Maybe a more effective strategy than a boycott if you want to turn Ewood into a ghost town.

Keeping Hanley is a must I feel.

Then, so the logic goes apparently, Venkys will be forced to sell. Maybe a more effective strategy than a boycott if you want to turn Ewood into a ghost town.

Keeping Hanley is a must I feel.

Venkys need to lose face. It's seemingly the only way to get to them.

Oh and, if we don't keep Hanley, then what?

Archived