BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "walk With Birdy" - 18/75 Protest - Wolves Sky Game

Stuart

I broke my boycott and complete lack of interest in Rovers to protest today in order to support those who had organised the events.

In the Fox and Hounds pre-game I was abused by some muppet (probably from the Riverside) about whistles......I had quiet word in his ear and he was very subdued afterwards

1875 was well supported in the JW Upper concourse. Positively there were no complaints from the other Rovers fans who did not participate (Parson was sat nearby and seemed absorbed in the footie) although I am sure some were asleep, perhaps even deceased.

Good luck with the future protests. Ghandi would have been proud of you.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The booing was very audible on the TV on 18mins. So was the 'cheering/singing' around the 76th minute . . which then stopped never to be heard for the remainder of the game. It didn't seem like genuine team support. Fishy indeed.

Good that the 'inflatable' chicken got a mention.

Glad I'm not only noticing this, the we are rovers chant was really weird at 76 mins, sounded synthetic or pre recorded. Nah I'm being silly they wouldn't would they.

On sky the Venkys Out chants in the 19th minute onwards were very loud. I'm not sure there was any dark stuff going on with boos and microphones and conspiracies etc

Don't know about dark business, but they definately did something with the audio. Everything sounded pretty good until around 20mins in, after that everything was mostly quiet except for the whistles, until the 75 exit.

THey either did some filtering or shut off the mics near most stands. It became obvious when the drum started to sound farther away and the chants were mostly inaudible.

Just want to give a big thanks to everyone who protested - I haven't felt such pride for this club in a long time and the 18th minute nearly brought tears to my eyes.

I would really like to see footage from inside the ground if anyone filmed anything

I broke my boycott and complete lack of interest in Rovers to protest today in order to support those who had organised the events.

In the Fox and Hounds pre-game I was abused by some muppet (probably from the Riverside) about whistles......I had quiet word in his ear and he was very subdued afterwards

1875 was well supported in the JW Upper concourse. Positively there were no complaints from the other Rovers fans who did not participate (Parson was sat nearby and seemed absorbed in the footie) although I am sure some were asleep, perhaps even deceased.

Good luck with the future protests. Ghandi would have been proud of you.

I'm another one who broke my decision to have nothing further to do with the club I've supported since 1962.

I watched the game on Sky because I'm out in Spain at the moment.

Congratulations to all concerned with the protests, you made me proud to be have been born in Blackburn and to be a Rovers fan. Thank you for protesting on my behalf.

Watched it in boozer with no sound. Does anyone have an estimate of how many did the 1875. I thought sky, surprisingly, gave it a fair amount of coverage but couldn't hear what they were saying.

Estimated at somewhere between 2000 and 2500. Lots of photos and videos on twitter.

My watch must have been fast because I walked along the Riverside alone and up to my seat on what I thought was 18 minutes. It was 14.

There were boos from Riversiders when the main contingent came in. Disgusting!

Went out with the crowd on 75. Missed both goals. Went to Fox & Hounds and, on TV there, the Blackburn End looked very sparse.

I thought the protest went far better than I expected. Well done everyone.

Think I met Neal's dad today too, passionate bloke.

Like father like son. Dad, if you're reading this give me a ring if you haven't been nicked! Haha!

Literally just got in the hotel this second, had to find out how it went. Proud of everyone involved, been too long since i've been proud of my own. Maybe for the best I couldn't go today, reading these booing reports I would have probably removed some teeth.

This action cant be a one off, now the fire is lit lets do it again and again and again... The ball is rolling now.

Not necessarily Rovers people though.

That'll be that lot then. On the other side of accy.

It amazes me, stumps me completely, that rational, intelligent people just assume that anything negative posted on social media is from Rovers fans! Anyone read the Telegraph page for instance! :-)

I mean, let's be honest, they're very bitter, I would be too with all those fingers and no trophies, but I'd be milking it too.

It might be fruitful to analyze why 18-75 got so many people involved so that the learning can be brought to bear in current and future efforts.

My tuppence-worth would be as follows:

1) It involved all the fan groups - yes, the much derided Blakeys meeting germinated the biggest mass protest against Venkys in six years. Agreement by everyone on something simple can have a lot more impact than a few people doing something complex.

2) It had the time for the news to spread and for coverage to be properly organized - I for one couldn't understand what the rush was on the mural, there was no time to think about the right message.

3) It required little effort to get involved but had high impact - all people had to do was slightly amend their existing behaviour (think Movember), in complete contrast with the pre-game march which required a relatively big effort.

4) It was well branded - 1875 is memorable and relevant.

My recommendation for going towards would be that the above template is followed for all activities to build more and more numbers getting involved in showing their dislike for what Venkys have done. I think it should be branded the 1875 campaign and would benefit from a consistent slogan - the best I've heard in six years is "Cluck Off, Venky''s" as it's simple, memorable and relevant.

Start to build some consistency to take the momentum forwards. Personally I think the mural as designed and Indian ad are just dissipating valuable and limited resources. Rather than guerrilla groups doing random things, the effort should go into growing the involvement of the wider fanbase. Perhaps a good, shareable relevant stunt fans can film and post (like ice bucket challenge) could be the next thing, as long as it fits somehow with 1875 or clucking, and requires little effort.

There seemed to be a bit of pro-Venky's propaganda fed to the sky studio team as well.

Mentioned a number of times was the 'fact' that Venkys had bankrolled the club to the tune of £30m per year. Seemingly forgetting the fact that it was Venkys and their man who gave our current players new contracts and purchased players that the income of the club couldn't support.

Proud of the protestors. Feels like step one on a new journey.

There seemed to be a bit of pro-Venky's propaganda fed to the sky studio team as well.

Mentioned a number of times was the 'fact' that Venkys had bankrolled the club to the tune of £30m per year. Seemingly forgetting the fact that it was Venkys and their man who gave our current players new contracts and purchased players that the income of the club couldn't support.

Proud of the protestors. Feels like step one on a new journey.

That seemed to come after half time so somebody has had a word there but i thought the commentators handled it quite well to be fair. Early on i actually thought he wanted to let rip a bit more but was holding back.

The money raked in from sales under Venkys and the massive debt increase is being purposely covered over in the media that much is obvious. In Boltons case and Blackpools that kind of stuff was mentioned all the time but suspiciously omitted when it comes to us. No mention of 150 mill player sales or debt underwriting the continued losses.

Why ?

Archived