BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "walk With Birdy" - 18/75 Protest - Wolves Sky Game

Stuart

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 110% behind the protests but I don't think the sporadic whistles added anything. We need a re think on this. Maybe everybody blowing loud and hard on the 18 th and 75 th minute.

I think it was an idea that seemed good at the time TS. Obviously, it was hoped that the ref would have been confused but it didn't work at all. May be you've hit on something there though with the 18/75. Blowing them constantly on the 18th and 75th minutes for three minutes and three minutes would be apt. This would signify six (3+3) years of mismanagement by Venky's.

Protesting is about getting people to agree, join in and make a difference right?

When you said neutral i thought you meant people just watching on sky who aren't Rovers fans. Still, you'll find with most protest ideas you wont be able to please everyone and not everyone will agree so i dont think its accurate to say thats what its about, its simply about taking a stand and if people want to join in they can do. I'd worry about anyone who's so weak that a few whistles would decide their point of view...

When you said neutral i thought you meant people just watching on sky who aren't Rovers fans. Still, you'll find with most protest ideas you wont be able to please everyone and not everyone will agree so i dont think its accurate to say thats what its about, its simply about taking a stand and if people want to join in they can do. I'd worry about anyone who's so weak that a few whistles would decide their point of view...

Just watching a recording. Getting quite emotional.

Proud and thankful to everyone involved.

As a Riversider (boycotter) I'm disgusted at those who barracked. Its beyond comprehension.

They need to go and find a f###### soul.

Huge boos on the coverage. I can't shake that feeling of outrage and shame of some of fellow fans.

Only caught up with the entire goings on and scoreline on sky at midnight last night.

it's been a good week for those truly worried about the club and a bad week for Venkys. We've had coverage in the national and local newspapers. Coverage around the Internet and good coverage on sky TV. Got surround sound at home and the booing did come over loud and clear - but the anti Venky chants came out loud and clear all through the match. The after match analysis from the sky team showed more understanding and more sympathy than some of our own fans, of why the protests were happening.

It's great to see that there's some fight in the fans. Will Venkys sell overnight? No of course not, but they'll have watched that and it's more food for thought for them. Eventually they'll wonder why they're bothering, if they aren't already.

Well done guys, great to see some anger and some balls to stand up against what's going on.

Well that was a turn up. I never in my wildest dreams expected participation like that.

The crew we sit with (including my Dad) are absolute Rovers fanatics, but the protesting types? Nah! So imagine how staggered I was to see the lot of them in the packed out Blackburn End concourse.

Their comments

'you just have to, don't you?'

'Sometimes in life you just have to stand up'.

And perhaps the most fitting for my Old Man;

'I hate this'

He really does, we are a family that has always lived for this club. Social events, holidays organised around the fixture lists. We have always gone into bat for the club; in the workplace, in the pub, social media, wherever.

He hates, like I do, that our club has been brought to its knees, that he can't simply watch the team he has watched since the 60s, that he's somehow ended up standing in the concourse instead of sitting in the very seats we've had since it was built- but he was there.

I will freely admit, I had no faith in our remaining matchday support, but the atmosphere in that concourse, then in the ground was something to behold, lump in the throat stuff.

Will it do anything in the short term? No probably not, it'll be completely out of the news cycle by Tuesday morning, but our plight has been raised- like Charlton fans, we have found our voice. Now to keep the pressure up.

I thought the whole day was executed very well.

1875 worked very well with a couple of thousand taking part.

The Venkys out chants around the ground was as loud as I have ever heard .

Some fireworks were set off, however some were either found by the plod or some kids as they went missing from their locations.

3 Live chickens were arrested before KO

Police bill was £10,000, with extra outside security brought in at £50 a head in wages and whatever extra the club paid the agency .

A whole Intel presentation was briefed to the stewards, which shows why we need to go underground a little as 99% of things planned were part of that brief.

Club are certainly in panic and we must ramp up the pressure and keep them guessing a lot more.

A pitch invasion was muted a number of times, had rovers been losing I'm 100% certain that would of happened and it's only a matter of time.

Proud of everyone who took part, but equally disgusted with the boos from the non protesting section in the Riverside .

Well for a starter - I don't think it was needed but maybe if they'd specifically said a minute to blow them rather than sporadically.

The main outcome of this action was a trickier game to manage and play. The outcomes we want are (correct me if I'm wrong) national media coverage and recognition for the cause of highlighting poor ownership?

I never noticed the referee or players having any problems with the whistles, what are you referring to, anything specific?

Only caught up with the entire goings on and scoreline on sky at midnight last night.

it's been a good week for those truly worried about the club and a bad week for Venkys. We've had coverage in the national and local newspapers. Coverage around the Internet and good coverage on sky TV. Got surround sound at home and the booing did come over loud and clear - but the anti Venky chants came out loud and clear all through the match. The after match analysis from the sky team showed more understanding and more sympathy than some of our own fans, of why the protests were happening.

It's great to see that there's some fight in the fans. Will Venkys sell overnight? No of course not, but they'll have watched that and it's more food for thought for them. Eventually they'll wonder why they're bothering, if they aren't already.

Well done guys, great to see some anger and some balls to stand up against what's going on.

What an encouraging post to read!

I haven't seen the Sky coverage, but as you say, it has been a good week for those worried about the future of the club. The 1875 thing worked much better than I expected. I saw loads of supporters in the concourse on 75 minutes, while I was outside with a few other boycotters...

Now we have to keep up the pressure, freshening up the protest ideas and activity, as we go.

It amazes me, stumps me completely, that rational, intelligent people just assume that anything negative posted on social media is from Rovers fans! Anyone read the Telegraph page for instance! :-)

Do you bother with Facebook, Bob? You may be surprised at the number of Rovers fans who blame the protesters rather than Venkys. These people should be named and shamed.

Can you imagine a conversation between two of Venkys chickens in neighbouring cages awaiting their premature and pre-planned deaths?

Chick1: Don't be daft. Venkys are wealthy and they love us, we are their babies. They don't need to kill us. They've probably been taking bad advice. They've had a bad run but they'll turn it around.

Chick2: But, this is what they do. I've been watching what happens. We are on course to be wiped out of existence. They are literally killing us. A few of us have been looking for a way to escape.

Chick 1: Bloody conspiracy theories! Escape to where? It's safe in this cage, it's a good life, respectable, still get fed. Not their fault they can't buy better chickfeed it's FFP (Finer Feed Prevention). Besides there's no shame in being in Henhouse 2. I was once in Henhouse 3 you know. Stop trying to rock the boat. If anything happens to us the blood will be on your hands.

Chick 2: I'm telling you, if we stick with Venkys then we won't be here much longer. We need to act fast. It doesn't matter where we go but it can't be here. The more of us that stick together the better chance we have of being heard - maybe even rescued. I've heard there is a group who want to help but Venkys won't talk. Are you with us?

Chick 1: No, but good luck. I don't really like them much either.

[Chick 2 walks off]

Chick 3: Good luck? Do you mean that?

Chick 1: Course not. He's an idiot. I just said that to shut him up. Right, where's that pile of chick feed I've had my eye on. Love chick feed me. Cheek feed til I die!

[both laugh]

chickhandling4-1024x329.jpg

I thought the whole day was executed very well.

1875 worked very well with a couple of thousand taking part.

The Venkys out chants around the ground was as loud as I have ever heard .

Some fireworks were set off, however some were either found by the plod or some kids as they went missing from their locations.

3 Live chickens were arrested before KO

Police bill was £10,000, with extra outside security brought in at £50 a head in wages and whatever extra the club paid the agency .

A whole Intel presentation was briefed to the stewards, which shows why we need to go underground a little as 99% of things planned were part of that brief.

Club are certainly in panic and we must ramp up the pressure and keep them guessing a lot more.

A pitch invasion was muted a number of times, had rovers been losing I'm 100% certain that would of happened and it's only a matter of time.

Proud of everyone who took part, but equally disgusted with the boos from the non protesting section in the Riverside .

And there is the answer to the police contacting law abiding fans for a 'friendly' warning. Got to try and justify it because it's a new earner. No Burnley game now remember.

I was outside the ground before the match and caught up with a couple of friends and in all honesty we were disappointed with the numbers involved in the pre match demonstration but I am extremely heartened by the success of the 18/75 protest as I had real concerns about if completely backfiring. If we have 'switched on' a number of people to the reality of the situation it will help the cause.

As has been mentioned there now needs to be an escalation of the action and it needs to be as guarded as possible to keep the club and police guessing. Strike whilst the iron is hot and we have picked up some more people who are prepared to take some action.

I never noticed the referee or players having any problems with the whistles, what are you referring to, anything specific?

The commentators made reference to the ref "working together" with players on the whistles.

Well great summaries on here.

As a Riversider a few comments:

-did not hear the boos but others who walked in and out with me did(this needs further communication with Riversiders)

-only on TV could you actually see the numbers before and after 18 mins of the crowd(pictures available?)

-proud that the number of young people protesting(as an older supporter I despair of the 'who will replace the Venkys and their money)DEFINITELY WORK FOR THE ROVERS TRUST

-the Fireworks failed really and I was warning my negative friends about the shock they would get on 18mins(remember Premiership parade Monday) NEEDS A FUND AND SECRECY

-the Parade round the Ground was good but apart from me and a few others no clapping from others. PLAN NEEDED NEXT TIME

-this was 'walk with Birdy', and as a person who has changed his opinion re Venkys and the Club he is a most valuable Asset.For an hour outside the Ground I did not see him or some of his friends. WAS HE WARNED OFF?

-we now know where to locate people,banners(and the uselessness of whistles)

So in summary...need a plan,leaders for each of the phases and ground locations,AND MORE SECRECY

Perhaps the EwoodWMC meeting needs to be re-assembled, and one of this Group needs to ask what opinion the Trust had on yesterdays Events(and my earlier comment re 'who will buy this loss-maker/')

I am satisfied that yesterday was good, BUT could have gone better.

Now back to Turkey til Brentford at home!!!

The main outcome of this action was a trickier game to manage and play. The outcomes we want are (correct me if I'm wrong) national media coverage and recognition for the cause of highlighting poor ownership?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

​If disrupting the game increases the awareness of the protest movement (no matter how the media spins it), I'm all for it.

Nothing much to add really, didn't hear any boo's and walkout was well attended, far better than I'd envisaged.

Wanted it to get more naughty inbeteeen but small steps and all that.

Good effort from all concerned.

Well done to everyone who took part in 18/75. You're a credit to the club and doubtless Uncle Jack would be proud to see you fighting for the cause. Hopefully the fans are in this for the long haul and can keep the momentum going away from the Sky cameras

The fact we took the lead while protesters were still on the concourse should put paid to the idea that protests negatively affect performances. Should being the operative word. I'm prepared for this accusation to rear its ugly head the next time someone wants to take a shot at the protesters.

Well done to all participants. I was sure this would flop. No TV coverage so listened on Radio Rovers, no mention of the protest at 18 mins. We want Venkies out came over loud and clear, heard no booing. 75 mins was quite audible too.

Just how the f we gonna get these clowns out. Ive made myself a promise to buy the club if I ever win the Powerball. Other than that, how how can we rid ourselves of the chicken butchers.

Got to agree with some others on the whistles they need binning during the game itself unless it's a co-ordinated effort to get the match held up or a signal for something. Could prove costly on the park and we don't want that it plays straight into the hands of the Accy Observer section :rover:

Archived