BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Nobend

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Points wise it's as I expected from the last 3 games. BUT given the 'bonus' draws, it's 2 points dropped today. Gutted? Yes. Demoralised? No.

I think Mowbray will get the 'game management' sorted out in the international break and we'll stand a decent chance of 2 more bonus draws or maybe sneaking a win. I'm keeping faith yet.

I liked the point Mowbray made about Joao, he said "it's better to be good than look good". He said Joao's job is to score goals and not trying to make defenders look stupid by taking them on 5 times. I do really like Mowbray honesty is something we've been short on from managers for years.

35 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

Evidence to the contrary - what the hell is 7 unbeaten games and 11 points including matches against some good Championship teams ?

Being unbeaten is a good platform but we need to start getting 3 points. 11 out of 21 isn't great. We could have lost three matches and scored more. But you know full well that you are taking the mickey with your over-optimism.

In other news, it's amazing that Hoban is going to drop to the bench when Mulgrew is fit. If only there was some way to accommodate both of them in the team in their best positions. It's a real thinker.

Giving Lowe MoM today was a joke and frankly an insult to Mulgrew who is light years ahead of him in every way - and in every minute today. Lowe made two tackles towards the end of the match (which is amazing really but all he did) and he took the accolade. Wonder if we would get a tribunal fee with him being home grown?

Just now, Stuart said:

Giving Lowe MoM today was a joke and frankly an insult to Mulgrew who is light years ahead of him in every way - and in every minute today. Lowe made two tackles towards the end of the match (which is amazing really but all he did) and he took the accolade. Wonder if we would get a tribunal fee with him being home grown?

I believe the Tribunal applies only to home-grown under age 25

Just now, Stuart said:

Being unbeaten is a good platform but we need to start getting 3 points. 11 out of 21 isn't great. We could have lost three matches and scored more. But you know full well that you are taking the mickey with your over-optimism.

In other news, it's amazing that Hoban is going to drop to the bench when Mulgrew is fit. If only there was some way to accommodate both of them in the team in their best positions. It's a real thinker.

I thought Hugill dominated and bullied Mulgrew for the first half hour today. Uncharacteristically he fluffed a couple of clearances in this period as he looked rattled. Once he got to grips with Hugills physicality he was fine.

Just now, arbitro said:

I thought Hugill dominated and bullied Mulgrew for the first half hour today. Uncharacteristically he fluffed a couple of clearances in this period as he looked rattled. Once he got to grips with Hugills physicality he was fine.

He was head and shoulders above today's Peter Jackson The Jeweller's (tm) Man Of The Match today EVEN in that first half hour.

Just now, alcd said:

I believe the Tribunal applies only to home-grown under age 25

Doesn't really seem fair. I know we paid nothing for him but we've really not had our money's worth.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I really struggle to understand some on here including you.

"11 out of 21 isn't great". FFS, we had 29  points from 31 games under Coyle and that is where Mowbray started from.

If someone had posted on here that under Mowbray, we would have been unbeaten in 7 and harvested 11 points from games including the likes of PNE, Fulham, Norwich and Derby then you would have been apoplectic. 

11 points from 7 games over the course of a season would get us to 72 points and very close to top six.  If we get 11 points from our last eight games, we will be safe.

You really do spout some nonsense.

Devastating feeling at the end.

What was Gallagher thinking?

As said, between 30-60 minutes, it was a joy to watch, Rovers in full flow, the best period of play all season! Joao was unplayable at times, Emnes great with tails up, Guthrie solid, Bennett and Conway industrious and both took their goals brilliantly.

That brings me to them much maligned Lowe.........he was excellent today. Worked hard, broke things up, decent distribution, got forward when he could and defended competently too. Even his biggest critics should be able to see he was worthy of the man of the match award.

Still work to do and games to be won, but got to try and see the positives rather than feeling sorry for ourselves. Mowbray said as much after the game.

As an aside, I was speaking to a young mum on the walk home, she was from Manchester and her son had run off ahead! Hopefully he was found safe and sound!

Just now, arbitro said:

As I posted, think today was arguably Mulgrew's least effective game for Rovers.  Not certain he was 100% fit.  Worryingly, he did pull up near the goal line at the DE near the end with only minutes to go.

Twas loaned a ST so attended today.

i would have taken a point before but was disappointed with the draw.  However PNE should have been out of sight after 20 minutes and they missed two good chances to score in the first 4 minutes of the second half.

Mulgrew was immense as was Jason Lowe - both made a dreadful mistake each in the first 25 minutes but overall were excellent.

I could see what TM was doing with the subs, unfortunately it did not work this time and Gallagher did little chasing back or holding the ball whilst Mahoney was naive.

Six weeks ago we would have been stuffed by PNE.  This weekend we got a good point and should have had three.  Putting this into perspective we would have been buried under OC, we now have a chance under TM.

Poor turn out from the smellies from Preston; less on than last year and they are chasing the play offs - clearly the heady  heights of the Championship are wearing off.   Very quiet after we scored.

Just now, Mercerman said:

I really struggle to understand some on here including you.

"11 out of 21 isn't great". FFS, we had 29  points from 31 games under Coyle and that is where Mowbray started from.

If someone had posted on here that under Mowbray, we would have been unbeaten in 7 and harvested 11 points from games including the likes of PNE, Fulham, Norwich and Derby then you would have been apoplectic. 

11 points from 7 games over the course of a season would get us to 72 points and very close to top six.  If we get 11 points from our last eight games, we will be save.

You really do spout some nonsense.

Oi. 

This is getting too much. His about tempering your boundless optimism with a little realism. 

We're serum conceding late goals, and we still concede every game in sufficient quantities to make it difficult to win. Yes we're doing better now that we have a decent manager but we're still in the bottom three. 

What happens if we lose a couple? suddenly goes a bit awry then.

To query why people are pessimistic after the last six years of hell really is an insult 

I thought we deserve to win today. We played some good football from us today.

we were poor the first 20 mins and last 10 mins.

We scored 2 good goals and I thought we would win from there on.

I thought Mowbray got his subs wrong today and that's the 1st time since he come in as head coach. Den, his subs are pre planned. his subs so far apart from today have been proactive and make impacts on games.

Thought Lowe were outstanding today and anybody who said he wasn't is clueless.

We should have wrapped the points up before the 80 mins.

I felt that Mowbray should have man to man Gallagher with Lowe to stop him having an impact on the game and brought Akpan on for Emnes and play 4-5-1.

Joao was very good today as was Nyambe and Lenihan. Both just keep improving.

Such a good atmosphere today by the Rovers fans and so good to hear the Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army being sung. Our Fans were excellent and it seemed a lot more busier today

We looked really dangerous going forward today, Joao and Emnes were electric upfront for us and ran the Preston defence ragged. It was just a shame we couldn't captialise on the good spells we had in the game and think maybe we got guilty of being a little over-elaborate at times. Some of the link-up play was excellent though, Bennett & Conway cutting in from the wings played well and influenced the game by getting the goals. Mowbray has made really good point-winnings substitutions so far but I think maybe he might regret the ones today. Mahoney and Gallagher were poor when they came on, with Guthrie and Joao tiring as well in hindsight maybe they should have come off instead of Conway and Bennett and we could have gone 5-4-1 or even 4-5-1 to try and see out the game, that being said if Gallagher keeps that ball in the corner rather than attempting a cross and giving Preston the ball back we probably don't concede that late goal and then no one questions the substitutions. It really was like Derbyshire vs. Man City all over again.

Yes we are in the relegation zone and that late goal naturally leaves everyone feeling a little deflated. But on the positive side, the team has definitely improved under Mowbray, we remain unbeaten, 11 points in 7 games is a decent return. Continue at that rate and get 11 or 12 points from the last 8 games and we should be safe. Three teams still within touching distance (just one point ahead), true our next two games are tough but we have shown we are capable of picking up unexpected points away from home this season. After those two we've got six winnable games and if we play like we did today I feel confident we'll get the points we need.

Just now, preston blue said:

Mulgrew was immense as was Jason Lowe - both made a dreadful mistake each in the first 25 minutes but overall were excellent.

Lowe immense - surely not ?  Man of the match again - surely not ? Don't they these people consult the "experts" on here ? 

Archived