BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Nobend

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Feel like we were riding the crest of a wave and now we are treading water whilst our rivals power on.

I know there's still time but today feels like the death knell, by the time we play our next home game the chances are we are on the back of two losses without a win in 6 and possibly 5-6 points adrift.

Dont feel today was unlucky either we had the warning with the disallowed goal and then failed to do the basics again.

Not felt as low as this after a game for a while, especially a game with as many positives but it's all too little too late.

As I type Burton take the lead

Just now, danger19_80 said:

Big four games starting at home to Barnsley followed by Wolves, Bristol and Forest that look season defining.

You're right of course, but this season went wrong the moment those ****s in Pune aided by Cheston signed Owen Coyle.

Regardless of today I think our season will be decided in the 9 days, starting good Friday, we play forest, Bristol and wolves. 

Couple of wins in that and think it'll do it. But I think the damage is already done. Thanks in a large part to Coyle. 

Played some fantastic stuff from about 30-60 mins, absolutely battered them in that period, but can't afford to not grasp the basics. Jesus gallagher what are you doing? Last minute, keep the ball in the corner not play it across the bloody box.

12 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Sounds like Sam Gallagher cost us two points there. Was it his cross, when he should've kept it in the corner, that led to Preston having another attack?

Not to mention on the edge of our box 30 seconds later when he should have hoofed it out and was guilty of waiting for it and letting someone nip in. Gallagher woukdnt play for me again.

6 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Sounds like Sam Gallagher cost us two points there. Was it his cross, when he should've kept it in the corner, that led to Preston having another attack?

I wouldn't blame him at all for the goal, everyone else was behind the ball which was why there was no-one there to pick up his admittedly misguided attempt at a cross. The ball then travelled the length of the pitch and I'd be looking at the rest of the side defensively ahead of Gallagher.

Unfortunately the  substitutions didn't work at all today, instead of continuing to play our normal game we stopped playing on about 75 minutes sat back too deep and started aimlessly hoofing the ball and giving it away. We'd already had a warning with the disallowed goal but didn't heed it.

In the 20 or 25 minutes prior to that it was the best I've seen in years. Joao was superb and we should have killed the game off during that period when we were on top.

When Emnes goes off we seem to lose all our rhythm and composure. The loose ball apart nothing whatsoever stuck with Gallagher after he came on.

• Backroom
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Not to mention on the edge of our box 30 seconds later when he should have hoofed it out and was guilty of waiting for it and letting someone nip in. Gallagher woukdnt play for me again.

We can blame Gallagher, but should he even have been on the pitch? Mowbray could have brought on Brown, Hoban or Akpan to give us a more rigid shape for the final ten minutes or so. Instead he brought on two young, inexperienced attacking players. Blame lies largely with the manager on this one, I'm afraid. I doubt he'll make the same mistake again, and I certainly hope he won't, because we really can't afford such mistakes at this juncture.

That was a great game of football to watch - four excellently crafted / taken goals.

Think a draw was a fair result.

Defensively, impressed with Nyambe and Lenihan.  Mulgrew had his least effective game so far and worryingly, seemed to pull up with just minutes to go.  Williams was all at sea - too easily beaten and very poor positional play / understanding.

In midfield, Guthrie was very good for 60 minutes before running out of steam.  Lowe man of the match, a total joke - can only presume his mum was choosing.

Joao was a real handful and will only get better.  Emnes was his usual enigmatic self - his play varied between the sublime and the ridiculous.

We WILL NOT GO DOWN - not a chance.  Too much cr@p being talked, especially on Radio Rovers.  We are 7 unbeaten producing 11 points - carry on like that, what's the problem? 

We do need to tighten up a bit though.  No way should PNE have got from corner flag in BE to DE in injury time - naivety on a Derbyshire scale from Sam G..  Having said that, Gally's pass was absolutely wonderful and his vision was worth the admission money alone.

Must confess, I did tempt fate though and my order for a case of wine from my would be winnings was ready to send on 75 minutes - hey ho, that's life.  At least we are progressing as a team - well done Tony Mowbray, without you, think we would have been well and truly doomed by now.  

Team got weaker with each substitution. 

Joao who had a good game, hardly touched it once Emnes was taken off (who also had a good game). 

This just invited pressure onto us and we were pushed right back for the last 15  

And at the end it was a tale of two Gallagher's  

What the hell was ours thinking?

• Backroom

Special mention for the referee, worst I've seen in years he gave them everything anytime they asked and ignored a ridiculously obvious handball. I think his incompetence helped pick us up in the first half we seemed to get angry at his decisions.

Can't see us staying up now, unless we pull off a win in our next 2 games somehow.

For all of the optimism and improvement under Mowbray, we've won 2 in 7, draws are of little use now.

Got his subs massively wrong today.

Bennett and Guthrie have been massively underused this season, them 2 and Lowe were very good today.

Sam Gallagher let his team mates down with his naivety. Needed Graham to bring on, no idea whats wrong with him but he would have known to keep it.

More than once we were pulled apart though, for both goals, and for the one that was disallowed. Mulgrew does help back there, maybe play him with Hoban instead. Williams is a shocking excuse for a left back and we need to get rid in the summer.

Joao was brilliant, surprised me with his link up, Emnes was quite poor but still important dropping between the lines, him, Bennett and Guthrie are all good technically and need to play,

Just now, Mercerman said:

That was a great game of football to watch - four excellently crafted / taken goals.

Think a draw was a fair result.

Defensively, impressed with Nyambe and Lenihan.  Mulgrew had his least effective game so far and worryingly, seemed to pull up with just minutes to go.  Williams was all at sea - too easily beaten and very poor positional play / understanding.

In midfield, Guthrie was very good for 60 minutes before running out of steam.  Lowe man of the match, a total joke - can only presume his mum was choosing.

Joao was a real handful and will only get better.  Emnes was his usual enigmatic self - his play varied between the sublime and the ridiculous.

We WILL NOT GO DOWN - not a chance.  Too much cr@p being talked, especially on Radio Rovers.  We are 7 unbeaten producing 11 points - carry on like that, what's the problem? 

We do need to tighten up a bit though.  No way should PNE have got from corner flag in BE to DE in injury time - naivety on a Derbyshire scale from Sam G..  Having said that, Gally's pass was absolutely wonderful and his vision was worth the admission money alone.

Must confess, I did tempt fate though and my order for a case of wine from my would be winnings was ready to send on 75 minutes - hey ho, that's life.  At least we are progressing as a team - well done Tony Mowbray, without you, think we would have been well and truly doomed by now.  

We have shown under Mowbray we have the ability to stay up, whether or not we do it or not is a completely different matter.

We need to start turning some of these draws into wins.  Also need to start battering teams from the off and not just when we go behind and to hold onto leads by playing our normal game when we get in front.

If you sit back on the edge of your area for the last 15-20 mins of every game sooner or later it's going to catch up with you.

Two points thrown away. For the first time I think Tony Mowbray got his subs wrong.

He should have taken off Emnes and Joao who were both knackered and either Conway or Bennett.

Replace them with Gallagher up front on his own, bring on Tommy Hoban to replace Mulgrew who could move to midfield and Feeney.

Mahoney should never have been used in this game. He cannot defend.

My MOM was Guthrie and Lowe had another good game apart from that stupid header in the first half.

Referee was shocking.

Archived