BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS V Rochdale

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

He showed no aggression whatsoever. That endbell that confronted him, sorry I should say mouthed Off and then bottled it when Ward asked him what he had said, had no reason to single Ward out, possibly our second best player on the day behind Dack. I agree he is not the best centre half we have but his performances are no worse than Nyambe, Whittingham, Evans or Conway On a weekly basis.

Good on Ward I say. I saw him approach the crowd and he was calm, non aggressive and controlled. The coward who was shouting at him (probably from the sanctuary of his gang) clearly couldn't reply when confronted. 

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Good on Ward I say. I saw him approach the crowd and he was calm, non aggressive and controlled. The coward who was shouting at him (probably from the sanctuary of his gang) clearly couldn't reply when confronted. 

I'm not condoning the actions of the neandrethal in any way but if Ward was controlled, calm but extremely aggressive in our six yard box and particularly at the back post, then there really wouldn't be any argument.

I'm really looking forward to the Boxing Day fixture, the first time this season together for me and my 2 lads at Ewood. I am still struggling to get my head around the fact that it's Rochdale at home on Boxing Day and I'm considering it'll be a tough game. Hey ho but FFS, COYB!

27 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'm not condoning the actions of the neandrethal in any way but if Ward was controlled, calm but extremely aggressive in our six yard box and particularly at the back post, then there really wouldn't be any argument.

I'm really looking forward to the Boxing Day fixture, the first time this season together for me and my 2 lads at Ewood. I am still struggling to get my head around the fact that it's Rochdale at home on Boxing Day and I'm considering it'll be a tough game. Hey ho but FFS, COYB!

I actually thought that Ward was one of our better players on the day Nick.

As always I am looking forward to the game tomorrow with the usual nervousness given our inability to put defensive minded teams to the sword. Hopefully Mulgrew and Samuel will be back and the manager will utilise the energy of Tomlinson. We have a good opportunity to go second tomorrow and hold on to that until January when we can bring in some much needed quality and guile in two or three areas.

I see someone in their wisdom considers Rochdale to warrant category A prices. Can't see many walk ons at £26 a go with the £2 supplement. Twenty is plenty and might have attracted a few more down at that price including some more from the dale

That and every team away obviously is charging us to sit in some hovels at top whack. Not to be fascitious but this Rochdale side compared to sides previously must be the poorest team Keith Hill has put together which given sell on fees they've made over the last couple of years surprises me and some people wanted him here.? 

8 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

That and every team away obviously is charging us to sit in some hovels at top whack. Not to be fascitious but this Rochdale side compared to sides previously must be the poorest team Keith Hill has put together which given sell on fees they've made over the last couple of years surprises me and some people wanted him here.? 

Cheers Dunn - will put a ton on Rochdale after that... :P ?

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

I see someone in their wisdom considers Rochdale to warrant category A prices. Can't see many walk ons at £26 a go with the £2 supplement. Twenty is plenty and might have attracted a few more down at that price including some more from the dale

Quite agree. It should be a set price across the board for games at this level, in fact should be in the PL as well. £20 is enough, sit where you want, full stop.

On 24/12/2017 at 16:54, RV Blue said:

It isn't one up front though, Dack would be playing up front but just behind Samuel. I hope you aren't one of those that think playing 5 up front would give you a better chance of winning, this isn't FIFA.

I know this isn’t Fifa, so why are you suggesting we play 11 men behind the back against an incredibly poor Rochdale side? With Mulgrew’s organisational skills likely to be missing, attacking with 3 strikers is the only way we’ll tomorrow.

Additionally, Rochdale are likely to come and park the bus. 1 up front/ 1 in behind, will fail, simply due to the fact Dack and whoever’s the lone striker, will have very little space based on the fact Rochdale will probably have 10/ 11 deep lying players. 

It doesn’t take an expert to realise 1 forward, occasionally 2, will not work when faced with 10/11 defenders. It’s far too negative. All those 10/11 individuals will want to do tomorrow is kick the ball as far away from their goal as possible, when they have it. When they don’t have the ball, they’ll easily outnumber the lone man/ attacking midfielder, resulting in the ball being lost. 

4-3-3 for the win tomorrow please Tony! Pressure from the front required at all times. 

When Guardiola comes up against teams that park the bus he's countered it by pushing his full backs into central midfield as they're redundant in a defensive sense. I know Walker and Danilo is a far cry from Nyambe and Williams but still, it's one way of pulling the opposition into places they don't want to be.

26 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Can't make it today. Sick bed with stinking cold and bad chest. Will be listening to Radio Lancashire and cheering the lads on. COYB!!

Get well soon. 

Just looked at the highlights of the reverse fixture- could easily have been a Wigan-esque 7.

They have the ability to do damage going forward but their defence looks extremely pedestrian.

Having said that it doesn't follow we will murder them at Ewood and they look capable of scoring against us. Let's just concentrate on securing a win then dream about Australian-style cricket scores and bumper crowds.. 

8 minutes ago, renrag said:

I made a decision yesterday to join with family members at the game, looked at the prices and changed my mind

Difficult. Considering the costs involved for a club and 2 hours "entertainment" then the price is reasonable bordering on cheap (imo).

Would i pay it myself myself - No :D:blink:

20 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Not sure if right thread but relevant to today's game. 

Do we man mark or zonal on corners? From watching i get the impression we (try to) man mark but there is Always someone getting free at the backpost.... 

It seriously needs sorting, it has been going on for too long now.

It's not the the system, it's the personnel.

I admitted in the other thread that I was wrong about Downing and he has been a great signing. However I wanted a centre half who would be commanding and head everything away. We haven't. We have two smaller centre halves who are god at reading the game and general positioning play but neither are towering in the air. Ward is better but is a far worse with every other aspect of his game.

45 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Do we man mark or zonal on corners? From watching i get the impression we (try to) man mark but there is Always someone getting free at the backpost.... 

Looks like man marking. Trouble is the oppo are tripping/throwing to the ground our defenders so they have a free run at the ball. It happened at Blackpool with Nyambe and at N'ton with Williams. On the N'ton goal you can see Williams remonstrating with the ref. Not much you can except hope the ref sees it, although you'd hope we start putting a free man on the back post who is there purely to attack the ball. Whatever the case, Mowbray needs to sort it out because we are being targeted there.

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

We do neither

Never give in go out to win, forever will be our game. Our name is ranked amongst the all time greats, never say die, we know the time will come to celebrate. We're proud of our colours............

Small town over 'owd bets, you're just a ......

Happy Christmas to ALL ROVERS. What WE've had and shared can never be taken away.

COYB!!!!

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

We were going to man mark but Vinjay got in touch with Tony Mowbray about ignoring the opposition so instead we have to go zonal 

18 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Quite agree. It should be a set price across the board for games at this level, in fact should be in the PL as well. £20 is enough, sit where you want, full stop.

Sit where you want = complete chaos. Allocated seating every time.

2 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Get somebody on the bloody post and most of those goals would have been stopped. I don't understand why we don't do it.

Archived