BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, JHRover said:

Fair enough, and you have your agenda which seems to be little old Rovers have to sit on the sidelines and accept other clubs spending massive amounts without sanction whilst we spend nothing and worry about FFP rules.

ONLY 3 clubs (as far as I can see) in the Championship have so far spent more than they have recouped in sales.  Stoke, Forest (new owners) and Birmingham (bought one player). 

https://www.transfermarkt.de/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

• Like 1

So we haven’t signed anyone. We aren’t close to signing anyone. In fact we were offered a larger budget from the owners and Mowbray refused it and the window shuts in a couple of weeks. I am starting to struggle here. I have yet again renewed my season ticket with blind hope and optimism only to now have that dashed by any real ambitious signings. 

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

OK, so we'll be alright then eh?

Uncalled for. It was a comment in the context that other clubs where spending massive amounts, which they don't. If we have a budget of 3-5 million without selling anybody we are eqular or better than a lot of clubs in that sense. 

Doesn't help to have a budget unless you get somebody in to address the the obvious lack of attacking players (which we all(including Mowbray agree on). I've never suggested anything else.

37 minutes ago, unleaded said:

The blame lays at the door of the manager .. they offered a bigger budget but TM refused this for whatever reason ... now he’s messing about  for PL Loans and Players he knows ... bigger budgets come with bigger pressures.... 

I find this incredibly hard to believe, especially with his comment about agents running the market, not too long ago. Not only that, he talked about having a substantial budget to compete at the start of summer. 

Surely if you were in his position, you’d take the money and play the market cautiously, and if there was any money left, you’d hand it back to the owners? 

If those comments are true, Mowbray- after years of management failure- is playing with his own future. 

On the the flip side of the coin, we might finally see some of the youth players getting a game. After all, we can’t keep doing a Chelsea. It makes absolutely no financial sense. 

Edited by scotchrover

50 minutes ago, unleaded said:

The blame lays at the door of the manager .. they offered a bigger budget but TM refused this for whatever reason ... now he’s messing about  for PL Loans and Players he knows ... bigger budgets come with bigger pressures.... 

You're saying that Mowbray refused a larger budget so that he could reduce the pressure on himself and yet didn't have the nous to suggest they give him the larger budget and anything left over he can either spend in January or give back and reduce the pressure as per the initial option? The guy has been a football manager for 16+ years mate behave.

• Moderation Lead

Whilst it seems incredibly strange that any manager would turn down extra funds, particularly when a team has been promoted from a lower division, unleaded has been bang on the money many times previously....

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This whole suggested scenario sounds unbelievable and silly.

Agreed. Absolutely nothing has happened at this club in the last 8 years to even entertain something so unbelievable and silly.

Oh.

• Like 5

I can't see it taking too much to push us over the edge with regards to FFP.

Perhaps the amount the owners were willing to back him with would breach FFP rules, so Mowbray would be putting himself in a win or bust situation.

Probably enough to break the rules but not enough to assemble a squad that could realistically get near promotion.

I don't really know, just speculating but i'm not sure why he would turn money down and put pressure on himself by having a weaker squad that fights relegation.

If true, he's probably looking at some middle ground, enough to buy young players, who can develop at the club (Davenport, Rothwell) and keep us in the league (without a relegation battle) but not enough where it's win or bust and loading the club with high earners.

20 minutes ago, briansol said:

Uncalled for. It was a comment in the context that other clubs where spending massive amounts, which they don't. If we have a budget of 3-5 million without selling anybody we are eqular or better than a lot of clubs in that sense. 

Doesn't help to have a budget unless you get somebody in to address the the obvious lack of attacking players (which we all(including Mowbray agree on). I've never suggested anything else.

Uncalled for? You're being a bit soft to react to my mild retort. If we have a budget of 3-5 million (big difference there by the way) we are not doing much with it are we?

Too much complacency, too much "in Tony we trust", too much "it'll alright on the night" style of thing.

All I know is that, with just days to go to the start of the season, our team is weaker than we were in Div 1.

Loss of momentum created last season. Such a shame.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, JHRover said:

Alan Myers suggesting we're interested in Ashley Fletcher from Middlesbrough, was at Sunderland last season.

Lad's not exactly been prolific, but we need bodies....

1 minute ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

You're saying that Mowbray refused a larger budget so that he could reduce the pressure on himself and yet didn't have the nous to suggest they give him the larger budget and anything left over he can either spend in January or give back and reduce the pressure as per the initial option? The guy has been a football manager for 16+ years mate behave.

To be fair Mowbray said in an LT article something along those lines.  The owners wanted to spend but he wanted to build the club sensibly -not return to a boom and bust scenario (or words to that effect). 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Alan Myers suggesting we're interested in Ashley Fletcher from Middlesbrough, was at Sunderland last season.

Wonderful, another dolloper who's done nothing.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Agreed. Absolutely nothing has happened at this club in the last 8 years to even entertain something so unbelievable and silly.

Oh.

Can anything be disused without throwing that line out? We all know what happened, but I don't see how it relates to the bizzare suggestion that Mowbray  turned down a bigger transfer budget 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

To be fair Mowbray said in an LT article something along those lines.  The owners wanted to spend but he wanted to build the club sensibly -not return to a boom and bust scenario (or words to that effect). 

I read the quotes where he spoke about building the club sensibly, I just don't recall the part where he told the owners to put their money back in their pocket. Can you please show us the quote where Mowbray said he stopped the owners from spending more money.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I must have missed that one. I can buy into the FPP angle and Waggott getting involved and suggesting a smaller budget, I just can't see how Mowbray wouldn't take the full budget and then try and not spend it all. Hell who f8cking knows what goes on with the chicken weasels running the show tbf.