BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

4 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Don’t think you’d find a professional keeper with a save % anywhere near that. If you did I’d be impressed. And they certainly won’t be a championship goalkeeper!

Found an article on the Premier League website and the keepers with the most Premier League penalty saves (as of 2018) were

David James (13 saved from 63)

Thomas Sorensen (12 saved from 50)

Mark Schwarzer (10 saved from 49)

Brad Friedel (10 saved from 51)

Shay Given (10 saved from 66)

The top 10 keepers had an average save rate of 21.4%

There were 9 keepers in the history of the Premier League that had a save record of 30% plus (based on a minimum of 10 penalties saved).

Dmitri Kharine saved 5 from 11! It must have been those jogging pants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Well my record was pretty impressive never missed a penalty in all my playing days school, amateur Sunday and Saturday league, navy and so on😅 must have been some shit keepers around back then😅😅

I only missed 3 out of about 60 - but two of them were in the same flipping game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Found an article on the Premier League website and the keepers with the most Premier League penalty saves (as of 2018) were

There were 9 keepers in the history of the Premier League that had a save record of 30% plus (based on a minimum of 10 penalties saved).

Brad’s is impressive but I always felt like he saved more than that? I remember usually being confident he had a save in him.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Very interesting. I follow a lot of La Liga and I do remember Diego Alves having roughly 45% save rate on pens (facing a lot too) but I assumed that was a freak statistic rather than the norm and it looks like it is!

I highly doubt that anyone in the championship has much over a 1 in 10 success rate. Case in point whoever takes our next pen, just hit the target!

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

I highly doubt that anyone in the championship has much over a 1 in 10 success rate. Case in point whoever takes our next pen, just hit the target!

Yep. Hudds had missed their last 5 up until Saturday at Fulham. Holmes took it and just leathered it down the middle. GK got a touch, but not enough!

Always find it interesting how very good GK's can make awful penalty stoppers. De Gea being a prime example. Cech always seemed poor at them too.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

24 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. Hudds had missed their last 5 up until Saturday at Fulham. Holmes took it and just leathered it down the middle. GK got a touch, but not enough!

Always find it interesting how very good GK's can make awful penalty stoppers. De Gea being a prime example. Cech always seemed poor at them too.

Don’t recall purely from memory any of our goalkeepers saving a pen since relegation. Must’ve happened but I don’t remember one!

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It feels like the only penalty that Cech ever saved during his time in England was from Paul Dickov, infront of the Blackburn End. Feb 2005. They got away with it that night, Chelsea.

Slight exaggeration, he's probably saved a few, but for a top keeper and a big guy, he wasn't known for saving penalties. In fact, I'm sure he had an awful penalty saving record when at Arsenal, although you could argue he was finished by then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Don’t recall purely from memory any of our goalkeepers saving a pen since relegation. Must’ve happened but I don’t remember one!

Didn't the otherwise dreadful Walton save one? Away at Hull iirc or have I dreamt that? 

Edit:Nope, the grey matter is still ok, good save too from Bowen

https://m.facebook.com/1Rovers/videos/walton-penalty-save-vs-hull/392534947978279/

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

It feels like the only penalty that Cech ever saved during his time in England was from Paul Dickov, infront of the Blackburn End. Feb 2005. They got away with it that night, Chelsea.

Slight exaggeration, he's probably saved a few, but for a top keeper and a big guy, he wasn't known for saving penalties. In fact, I'm sure he had an awful penalty saving record when at Arsenal, although you could argue he was finished by then.

Cech saved 17 out of 85, which is a pretty decent save record 

Edited by oldjamfan1

22 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Anyone not believing Ben’s injury is a bad one, he’s jetted off on holiday today…

What is the recovery for Diaz injury - is it something he can have physio for - or is it just rest ? If the latter, then unless he is going for a couple of months not really a good indication ? Not saying you are wrong about his injury - but it could just be the club giving him a well earned rest after his exploits for club and country. 

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

What is the recovery for Diaz injury - is it something he can have physio for - or is it just rest ? If the latter, then unless he is going for a couple of months not really a good indication ? Not saying you are wrong about his injury - but it could just be the club giving him a well earned rest after his exploits for club and country. 

Don’t know the intricate details other than a timescale I’m afraid. Weeks holiday whilst he rests it. Just purely pointing out the boots not on as a precaution and he certainly won’t be training for a while yet. 

9 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Well my record was pretty impressive never missed a penalty in all my playing days school, amateur Sunday and Saturday league, navy and so on😅 must have been some shit keepers around back then😅😅

I only ever took four and was a striker at the time. Missed 3. No wonder it took the wife so long to get pregnant 🤣

• Like 3

So when there is opportunity we don't sign another forward to help out the only regular goalscorer. Now he himself is out for weeks maybe more, not like any experienced fan couldn't see a situation like this arising.

These are the things that a club like us just has to get right if we are to stay in the mix. Instead we sign a few multi positionals again who to date haven't contributed much at all to help stop the slide away.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So when there is opportunity we don't sign another forward to help out the only regular goalscorer. Now he himself is out for weeks maybe more, not like any experienced fan couldn't see a situation like this arising.

These are the things that a club like us just has to get right if we are to stay in the mix. Instead we sign a few multi positionals again who to date haven't contributed much at all to help stop the slide away.

We signed 2 forwards, Markanday and Hedges. A guaranteed (if there is such a thing) goalscorer at this level could cost £10 million. Not straightforward. If Mitrovic got injured, who would Fulham replace him with? I don't think they signed a replacement in January   

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We signed 2 forwards, Markanday and Hedges. A guaranteed (if there is such a thing) goalscorer at this level could cost £10 million. Not straightforward. If Mitrovic got injured, who would Fulham replace him with? I don't think they signed a replacement in January   

Nobody is saying spend £10m on a striker. But bringing in someone on loan who is a natural striker, giving us a plan B, was surely sensible. Hedges is a winger, up until a few months ago Markanday hadn't played up front either. And he got injured with 11 days to spare of the window left, so we had ample time.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4