BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

• Backroom

Honestly I hope he’s fit, goes and scores the winner and comes back and fires us to the play offs.

Boys in dreamland, May be a flash in the pan for him as well so don’t blame him if he wants to make the most of every second of it 

• Like 2

Losing to brazil IN NO WAY automatically eliminates chile.  Chile could technically qualify for playoff with 2pts if other results go their way.  3pts is realistic.  Even if chile win both fixtures, the other results could still knock them out.  Chile's WC fate is not exclusively in their hands.

Yes, chilean FA officials have visited Blackburn.  And they have also visited Milan, Sevilla, Marseille, and Rome.  It is what south american FA's do: visit the clubs where their players play.  This is not "interference".  The FIFA rules are clear, so there is no need to "interfere".  I understand few want him to make the journey but let's not mischaracterize what is going on.

Chilean FA would love to have Ben on the field but he wont be played if he isnt fit.  It is very very unlikely he'll play vs Brazil and the hope is he can make it for the home game vs Uruguay.  

"World cups come and go", WTF?  They come and go every 4yrs.  Rover's attempts to make it out of the 2nd division "come and go"  EVERY year more like it.  There seem to be a lot of naive commentary regarding how international play works between club and country.  The tug war is not unique to Rovers.  Go cry to FIFA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

So they got thumped 4-0 off Brazil, but Peru also lost. So basically a 3 way fight between Peru/Chile/Colombia for the play off spot is that right?

When would the play off games take place IF they got a place I wonder?

Peru play Paraguay and Colombia are against Venezuela, so it’ll take a minor miracle for BBD and Chile to even make the play-off.

On 13/03/2022 at 22:22, LordBaltimore said:

"World cups come and go", WTF?  They come and go every 4yrs.  Rover's attempts to make it out of the 2nd division "come and go"  EVERY year more like it.  There seem to be a lot of naive commentary regarding how international play works between club and country.  The tug war is not unique to Rovers.  Go cry to FIFA.

You know nothing about our club if you think our attempts to get promoted from this league happen every year. Technically speaking yes, as we are in a league where promotion is possible and claimed as the stated goal.

But this is the FIRST serious attempt we have been able to make to get promoted to the top tier since we got relegated in 2012. In fact before this season I think we have only even been in the top 6 any further than ten games into a season on what, one maybe two very brief occasions (I'm talking like, a game and then back out of it). We won't be in this position again next year. This promotion opportunity means a lot to us, so stop getting pissy that we aren't pleased you keep messing with the availability and fitness of our main source of goals.

Not only will we not effectively challenge for promotion again next season, but there is a serious risk of a relegation battle. We are losing a significant chunk of our squad, which is already a thin one, and most of them for no money, and we don't have much money to replace them (most of any money we do get will likely come from the sale of...well, Brereton, if you don't get him more seriously injured and drive down his value). This season is likely absolutely pivotal for the future of the club.

As for 'go cry to FIFA', we will 'cry' where we like, and I think our very own board where you are just a guest is as good a place as any.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 8

On 25/03/2022 at 13:06, Ossydave said:

So they got thumped 4-0 off Brazil, but Peru also lost. So basically a 3 way fight between Peru/Chile/Colombia for the play off spot is that right?

When would the play off games take place IF they got a place I wonder?

AFC 4th Round Winner v CONMEBOL 5th Place will take place on 13th or 14th June as a single match in Qatar.

Chile still have a very outside chance of 5th Position but they must beat Uruguay and rely on both Peru and Colombia messing up.

The AFC 4th Round Winner will be decided by a game between UAE v Australia on 7th June also to be played in Qatar, at least I think that's how it stands.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

Absolute joke that international teams are allowed to do this sort of thing. Blatantly injured and doesn’t need to be flying half way round the world.

Furthermore, if Chile’s hopes of footballing success ride on a half fit second division striker I’d suggest they have wider selection issues.

Absolutely.

A huge concern for Rovers - could finish his season.

Lenihan and Van Hecke injured on international duty and with Ayala also out for goodness how much longer, defensively we look to be  struggling for at least the Coventry match and very possibly Blackpool as well.

On 26/03/2022 at 09:54, simongarnerisgod said:

they left him behind in chile,i doubt he`ll play in the uruguay game as he`s definately not fit

Hello all. All the talk coming from the camp is that they're hopeful he'll play to tonight. Recovery going well, Brazil was a bit too early but he's trained really well, etc etc. The gaffer has even said they'll "wait until the very last minute" in the hope of including him. If I had to bet I'd say he'll get on the pitch at some point.

Edited by PotterLog

5 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Absolute joke that international teams are allowed to do this sort of thing. Blatantly injured and doesn’t need to be flying half way round the world.

Furthermore, if Chile’s hopes of footballing success ride on a half fit second division striker I’d suggest they have wider selection issues.

The behaviour of a desperate team.

Chile have 2 chances of going through, slim and fat, and slim left town after getting a shagging in Brazil.

In all honesty it will be a miracle if Chile progress against all odds and with their past their sell by date team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

It's a complete joke. I could understand him making the bench. But if he wasn't fit enough to be in the squad a few days ago he's certainly not fit enough to be starting tonight. Chile have acted disgustingly. They should do one. 

And they kept him on for 80 minutes 😂

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Bit sad some of the bitterness towards Chile, who have without a doubt contributed towards the success Brereton has had this season. If we want to see him back in OUR first team he obviously needs some minutes under his belt, there's no u23 games till next Monday. Obviously it would be much more ideal if he'd done that in Bromley Cross rather than Chile but it is what it is, rest up on a flight home. Doubt he'll start at weekend but should make the bench at least. Such a shame Ben won't make an appearance in the world cup finals this time round to complete the fairytale but at least age is on his side.

The Chile fairytale has been great. I've loved watching it. But at the end of the day it's clear he wasn't fit and they've played him for 80 minutes. That's unprofessional and it's putting their star at risk and ours too. 

Not only did they play him for 80 minutes but they were doing so when they needed a 3 goal swing in the Peru game, a 2 goal swing in the Colombia game and obviously for them to win their own game. There wasn't a cat in hells chance before the match let alone at half time and they still kept him on the pitch. I've enjoyed the Diaz story as much as anybody but the debacle of how they've acted in this international break needs to be observed in isolation and its completely unacceptable. 

• Like 6