BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s never been that good a header of the ball, especially for someone so tall. Him and Gallagher make a good pair in that respect. Both are giants who would be out jumped by David Speedie.

He has improved leaps and bounds this season and has started to use his physicality. Gets up well for headers and is a danger with both feet now too. I never saw Speedie play for us, but Shearer was an incredible finisher. 

2 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

He has improved leaps and bounds this season and has started to use his physicality. Gets up well for headers and is a danger with both feet now too. I never saw Speedie play for us, but Shearer was an incredible finisher. 

Speedie would have put in more effort yesterday than the whole team did. No such thing as a lost cause with Speedie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s never been that good a header of the ball, especially for someone so tall. Him and Gallagher make a good pair in that respect. Both are giants who would be out jumped by David Speedie.

Like some others at Rovers its just non directional heading, just getting a part of the head in the way of the ball and hope something good happens. Sometimes that approach can fluke what then looks like a worldie. Think Chile.

Lenihan at attacking headers, Nyambe with most headers are just 2 others who put their head in the way.

Gallagher, well, hes just Gallagher. Has he ever won one of those long punts from our kick off, or ever directed it in play. Not much, that is for sure.

I really don't think that they train at attacking headers much

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Like some others at Rovers its just non directional heading, just getting a part of the head in the way of the ball and hope something good happens. Sometimes that approach can fluke what then looks like a worldie. Think Chile.

Lenihan at attacking headers, Nyambe with most headers are just 2 others who put their head in the way.

Gallagher, well, hes just Gallagher. Has he ever won one of those long punts from our kick off, or ever directed it in play. Not much, that is for sure.

I really don't think that they train at attacking headers much

With all the current furore regarding Alzheimer’s they probably don’t these days.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With all the current furore regarding Alzheimer’s they probably don’t these days.

Yes, I was thinking that too. A legitimate reason and makes me wonder why we persist with the long punt at KO, although I suppose it moves us upfield.

10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He was preoccupied with fouling the Blackpool defender and lost the flight of the ball and the result was a pathetic header at an almost open goal.

It was great chance for a header when I seen extended highlights on Sky football channel this morning

I’d be highly surprised if he has something lined up yet, so it’s surely in his interest to get scoring before the end of the season. People have short memories in football, and with Chile out of the WC running, there won’t be so much media focus on them for a while either. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Brereton needs to start concentrating on playing his game.

Too much time spent moaning, flailing his arms in the air, and falling over far too easily for my liking.

We said similar yesterday. He is rapidly getting a reputation for going down too easily as evidenced on a few occasions yesterday. I know for a fact from my time that when referees meet one of the things they discuss is teams and individual players. I would imagine Brereton is one of those spoken about.

• Like 2

He's not fit. Been rushed back and Chile forced ours and Mowbray's hand.

I said months ago it was a bad one and it was 'the club don't seem to think so' blah blah blah.

He's not fit and could barely move after 45 mins Saturday. When he sat their defender on his arse it reminded me of the Barnsley game where he fired it across the keeper left footed, but he could barely move enough to catch up with it.

13 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I said months ago it was a bad one and it was 'the club don't seem to think so' blah blah blah.

He's not fit and could barely move after 45 mins Saturday. When he sat their defender on his arse it reminded me of the Barnsley game where he fired it across the keeper left footed, but he could barely move enough to catch up with it.

Had the exact same thought flash through my mind

21 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Ben Brereton Diaz-Fraser

12 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Rubbish

He's doing bare minimum apart from play in the games that improve his profile.... i.e. Chile v Brazil etc...bad injury now and his big move is scuppered.  That will be it now really, we won't see his commitment like it was ....just my opinion of course 

Edited by Sparks Rover

On 10/04/2022 at 11:31, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’d be highly surprised if he has something lined up yet, so it’s surely in his interest to get scoring before the end of the season. People have short memories in football, and with Chile out of the WC running, there won’t be so much media focus on them for a while either. 

He cant have anything sorted out, Rovers have activated the 12 months in their favour!

On 10/04/2022 at 09:15, AllRoverAsia said:

It's one of the most frustrating things about Gallagher and about our coaching set up. Gally is a big strong bloke. If somebody just sat him down and just tried to get him to stop actually going for these long balls as headers he and we would be so much better. All he needs to do is position himself and let it hit him. Chest it, let it bounce off his thigh, anything. If that happens the balls going to be in a 5 yard radius. Graham was an expert at it. I remember somebody telling me Fellaini rarely headed the ball. When I then specifically watched him it was true. 75% of balls into him he took on his chest. 

What we see is Gallagher galloping across the pitch and launching himself at the long ball. Rather than it being kicked too him and him just standing his ground. This galloping leap is actually quite a hard technique to master so it's no wonder he misjudges the flight of the ball half the time. And the most frustrating thing is that on the occasions he gets it right it bonces off his head at such a pace that nobody has a clue where its going and its no good to anyone. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ben messed up his penalty today v Ghana, he wasn't the only one to do so for Chile who missed 3 to lose the shootout 3-1.

Ben started by being wide left and later in the game played more centrally. Had a couple of shots but not too involved. The Chileans still have a preference to switch play to the right even when going left is more doable.

Ok game and Ghana deserved the win.

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Ben messed up his penalty today v Ghana, he wasn't the only one to do so for Chile who missed 3 to lose the shootout 3-1.

Ben started by being wide left and later in the game played more centrally. Had a couple of shots but not too involved. The Chileans still have a preference to switch play to the right even when going left is more doable.

Ok game and Ghana deserved the win.

Sell, while the going is good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...