BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darragh Lenihan

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But we have tied a number of academy products like Buckley, Wharton, Travis tho. So the club have offered these academy players enough money to sign. 

Maybe Lenihan and Nyambe wants to move on from the club and try a number of club, area or whatever. Its their choice not to sign for us and move then fair enough, thanks for your effort, service to club and good luck in the future. 

I don't think that people are annoyed that some players are going to leave. But they are annoyed that they are going to leave for free !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Darragh Lenihan set to join Boro on a 4 year deal, apparently. I feel it's long been inevitable and the club should've cashed in when Sheff Utd and West Brom were sniffing around last summer. However, with over 230 appearances for the club and serving as captain, he's been a very good player for the club, though, the defence, as a whole, has been very disappointing until this past season, when van Hecke and Wharton steadied the ship. 

Lenihan came through the Rovers reserves having been signed as a 17 year old from Dublin youth side, Belvedere in 2011. He had to wait to get his break, which came on loan at Burton Albion, in 2014, under Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, where he played in midfield, before returning to Rovers and eventually being given his Rovers debut as a defender by Gary Bowyer, in 2015, aged 21 years, against Millwall, coming on for Matt Kilgallon. It was in defence that he became a mainstay and his days of midfield were long forgotten - though, a brilliant display at right back near the end of last season makes me wonder whether he has a future in that position - though, unlikely at Boro, with their quality wing backs.

He's now 28 and will surely be looking to reach his peak, after his development plateaued somewhat at Rovers, not helped by periods of 'firefighting' in bizarre formations. He'll also want to add to his two Irish international caps - (if I remember rightly, he's the first County Meath-born player to get a senior cap). He got called into the Nations League squad, recently, but has been, I believe, left out of the matchday squads.

I think Boro's RCB is Dijksteel, who is highly rated, so Lenihan might have a challenge to break into the team, or play elsewhere in the backline, but, overall, I see him doing well there, injuries and luck permitting.

I think it cannot be overlooked how beneficial the youth recruitment and reserve team/U23s has been for the current side, with several first teamers having progressed from that level and, in the case of Nyambe, Buckley and Wharton, come through the juniors too.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, bazza said:

Still not on the BBC transfer done deals page.

It probably cannot be a legal, deal done until his contract has run out, at the end of the month. To tell the truth I would not allow him to train with Boro whilst he is still contracted to us. I would also not allow him on any Rovers owned premises. Let him keep his fitness levels up by himself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Funny how these two who were allegedly advised to get more money elsewhere look set to sign for 2 of Mowbray and Venus ex clubs.

Boro hardly a mega move, probably doubled his money. Move on,  Rovers bigger than players who want to leave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

It probably cannot be a legal, deal done until his contract has run out, at the end of the month. To tell the truth I would not allow him to train with Boro whilst he is still contracted to us. I would also not allow him on any Rovers owned premises. Let him keep his fitness levels up by himself.

A bit hard on our ex captain who has given us good service. I wish him the best of luck.

20 minutes ago, bazza said:

A bit hard on our ex captain who has given us good service. I wish him the best of luck.

He was given an opportunity, and a wage at the Rovers, the club owe him nothing. I am saying we shouldn't give an advantage to a team (Boro) who could well be competitors, by doing our best to give Lenihan three weeks of pre season training. As he will be playing for the opposition, I don't wish him good luck. This is pretty much how I feel about an player that leaves us. 

46 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Boro hardly a mega move, probably doubled his money. Move on,  Rovers bigger than players who want to leave.

Doubt he'll be doubling his wages but he'll probably have a nice signing on fee.

Second point i agree nobody is bigger than the club but the timing and nature of some departures can be damaging and doesn't reflect well.  Hell some over 60s still harp on about Derek bloody Dougan.

My original point still stands those rumours came out a good while ago before interest in the players became public.  There's nothing to move on from we know the previous regime had shithouses in it once they knew their time was up.

I agree, but i didn't mean move on from his situation, i just meant we move on, you never know we might find an Ayala that isn't afraid of the cold. 

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Doubt he'll be doubling his wages but he'll probably have a nice signing on fee.

Second point i agree nobody is bigger than the club but the timing and nature of some departures can be damaging and doesn't reflect well.  Hell some over 60s still harp on about Derek bloody Dougan.

My original point still stands those rumours came out a good while ago before interest in the players became public.  There's nothing to move on from we know the previous regime had shithouses in it once they knew their time was up.

Yes i agree, but i meant move on from lenihan not what's been going on, you never know we might get an Ayala type that isn't afraid of the cold.🤤🤤

• Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 16:12, riverholmes said:

I think Boro's RCB is Dijksteel, who is highly rated, so Lenihan might have a challenge to break into the team, or play elsewhere in the backline, but, overall, I see him doing well there, injuries and luck permitting.

If true, this is a slightly odd move, for Lenihan. I don't know Boro's squad well, but others seem to rate their defence, and Dijksteel is class.

He will be on more money than what our final offer was, probably not all that much more though, and they aren't in as much of a mess as us so it could rightly be seen as a more likely club to get promotion (Coral have them 5th in the odds for the league, and joint third for promotion, we are 10th in both and tbh that's generous). But promotion won't be much use to him (aside from promotion bonus and possible contracted wage rise I guess) if he isn't making the team during it, as all that will happen is his stock drops and they probably shunt him out. It seems odd to choose one of only a handful of clubs where he isn't almost certain to start.

I can only conclude that Wilder has told him he sees him as a starter, and rates him a lot more than some of the fans on here do. Given he has chased him for years, even when he was in the Prem, and he was better last season than he's ever been, it makes sense to me that they do see him as a starter. Do they play 3 CBs? I'm sure Sheff U used to under Wilder. If they don't, maybe they're planning the switch.

Boro don't have that much more natural income than us, so I'm sure they're not paying more than we were willing to pay our captain and most important CB just to have him sit on the bench most of the time in a position they're well stocked.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of it is just fancying a change. He's been with us over a decade, it's natural to want to freshen things up at some stage. With the management team leaving, it probably seems like a good time for him to leave too.

He was a good player for us, nowhere near great. No hard feelings and good luck to him, just not when playing against us.

Starts for the first time for Ireland in their Nations League game against Ukraine, which may well be his breakthrough moment for their first team. Rovers have prepared him very well for his time at Boro. I wish him well but can't help but feel disappointed that we are losing a solid player for nothing in, you would think, the prime of his career. Just terrible management/running of the club.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Shame he's going but Lenihan is ultimately a limited player, unlikely to improve much more and infinitely replaceable.

I would say unlikely as one of the better centre backs in the league at peak age and a captain to boot, especially considering a lack of fee.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Shame he's going but Lenihan is ultimately a limited player, unlikely to improve much more and infinitely replaceable.

i am more upset about rothwell and possibly nyambe leaving,not to bothered about lenihan,he`s bog standard stopper,easily replaceable,if ayala could stay fit it would be problem solved,he`s a class above lenihan,reads the game extremely well

People wailed about no leaders for years, we finally create one who ends up captain of the club. Then it's good riddance he's easily replaced.

Like since when has that ever happened here ?

And then they say the owners never learn.....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

People wailed about no leaders for years, we finally create one who ends up captain of the club. Then it's good riddance he's easily replaced.

Like since when has that ever happened here ?

And then they say the owners never learn.....

You think Lenihan was a good leader?!

He was just....okay.

As someone else said, a bog standard stopper.

I found him incredibly frustrating at times. His composure on the ball and distribution was pretty poor.

Best season for us last year but his limitations were still there to be seen.

• Like 1