BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v West Brom 1 Jan 2019

Good result and a decent performance for most of the game.

Full backs were a constant worry, Bennett was particularly bad.

Travis correctly named MOM and Reed couldn't have been far behind.

Last 10-15 mins were a tad nervy and it seemed just a matter of when they equalised.

Well done Rovers, great feeling is that winning!!!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Doug said:

Good result and a decent performance for most of the game.

Full backs - ARE - a constant worry, Bennett was particularly bad.

Travis correctly named MOM and Reed couldn't have been far behind.

Last 10-15 mins were a tad nervy and it seemed just a matter of when they equalised.

Well done Rovers, great feeling is that winning!!!

Spot on ?

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Shows how people see things differently. In the first half I thought Bell was shocking.  He got beat practically every time.

Armstrong was very good but mainly down to his pace. You know within the first 10 minutes If he is going to play well or not depending on whether he goes past the full back early. As good as Reed was, he's not a wide. An and his crossing was poor. - AGREED

As we look to be neither going up or down, full strength side at Newcastle please Tony. - AGREED

Bell played well, and I'm shocked to see some don't agree. 

He actually was turning away from pressure today and driving forward with the ball. 

He got beat for pace once in the first half that I can remember.

• Like 1

By god we needed those three points which take the pressure off a bit. However at the risk of sounding negative I fear it may be only papering over the cracks as the underlying problems still remain.

After Dack set up a one on one for Graham inside the first 4 minutes which he was too slow to capitalise on  I thought we'd play until this time next week until we got a freak goal with Mulgrew scoring direct from a corner After that we played a lot better for a period and Armstrong came up with a bit of brilliant play to set Dack away and he showed great quality to take out the defender by cutting back inside the.defender and arrow the ball into the top left hand corner.

After that we contrived to make hard work of it by conceding a needless penalty, we had the usual bizarre TM substitution replacing Dack with Conway and we ended up having to be reliant on a brilliant save from Raya to seal the points despite finishing the match against ten men.

Main positive: Travis. As at Sheffield he was excellent and fully deserved his MOM award. Too many negatives for me though to think the win is anything other than "a blip" rather than the start of a sustained run of form.

- Bennett  -  not a RB and had a shocker today

- Lenihan - looks poor at the moment

- Mulgrew  - prone to letting the opposition get free headers on our goal

- Bell - nowhere near as bad as Williams but still not that convincing

- Evans - degenerating into the bastard love child of Jason Lowe and Keith Andrews, marking space and doing a lot of pointing whilst the game completely passes him by

- Not getting the best of the tenacious Reed out wide.

- Graham - completely past it for me and hardly touched the ball in the second half

Brilliant win. Travis was immense all the way through. No rash challenges, just composed play all the way through. Best bit was when a Baggie speed merchant  tried to do him for pace 1st half and he just calmly brushed him aside and took the ball away. Class act. He passes the ball with pace which is always a sign of good player. Mowbray would be an utter moron to send him out on loan now. Did well to get their lad sent off too by staying down. Hopefully he's rapidly maturing. It's his shirt to lose, or at least it should be.

AA was a lot better today. Used his pace to good effect. 

Lenihan was excellent too.

It was a bit funny seeing Dack having a running argument with all his teammates then turning around to see he was being subbed! He was proper chuntering and shaking his head when he strolled off. Bit petulant really. Mogga put his arm round him at the final whistle so I think they've made up! Brilliant goal though.

WBA were poor or we made them look poor. They have some big quick players but Barnes aside they didn't do much. Barnes was very good. 

Much needed win and J-Nob got subbed for being shite. Happy New Year!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

WBA were poor or we made them look poor. They have some big quick players but Barnes aside they didn't do much. Barnes was very good. 

Granted they have not had Gayle against us either time but I think both times they have looked very ordinary. They spend to much time passing the ball about going nowhere, they only looked dangerous when they got the ball wide at attacked with pace and they are also a danger from set pieces.

We gave a much better account of ourselves defensively today particularly under pressure towards the end. Still a little shaky in parts but much better. Credit to Mowbray for going 4-4-2 to get us up the pitch at 2-1 also. Again Bell got skinned too many times and lost his man way too many times particularly in the first half, crying out for a left back before any other position this month.

Stand out today was Travis. Never stopped and barely put a foot wrong. That was a proper Rovers centre mid peformance. Forget any loan, he should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

• Like 1

Very impressive performance and result almost sullied by a needlessly nervous last 15 minutes.

Thought Travis was absolutely outstanding, reading the game far better than Smallwood, composed in possession and tenacious in the tackle. Has to stay in the side.

Mulgrew was colossal in defence and hes more of a goal threat directly from corners than our 7 million striker! Captains performance.

Lenihan alongside him was excellent and played a couple of lovely drilled balls into Dack, Evans was good alongside Travis in midfield too.

Armstrong looked right on his game in the first 10 minutes but I thought he became stale, laboured and predictable prior to the second goal in which he was brilliant.

Dack was a bright spark as always, his goal was superbly taken with the arrogance that makes him who he is. Not sure about the sub, hes the master at game management but it worked out just about in the end. Graham was superb as per usual in terms of his all round game but should have scored. Reed was tenacious and full of energy as always.

Bennett had an absolute shocker, he is blatantly not a right back. Diving in, always out of position and given a torrid time by Barnes. His crossing was terrible too. Bell is really flaky too, doesnt utilise his pace well enough and is technically poor but wasnt as bad as Bennett.

Conway did a job when he came on as youd expect, Brereton showed nothing bar some half arsed pressing and a bizarre exchange with their keeper. What does he really offer at all? Palmer used to wind down the clock.

Thought West Brom screamed of a team not particularly well drilled, but in Phillips, Rodriguez and mainly Barnes, some superb individuals.

Given the run of form we are in I believe that is our best result of the season. Plenty of positives today and although it wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination today isn't a day for too much criticism. Along with nearly every Rovers fan I thought Travis was excellent. He tackled, he intercepted, he ran forward, he tracked back and got several important blocks in. He was well supported by many others in a real team performance.

Well done to the players and staff today. It was good to walk away from a Rovers game with a sense of pride (and relief) instead of traipsing out feeling angry and frustrated.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

, Brereton showed nothing bar some half arsed pressing and a bizarre exchange with their keeper. What does he really offer at all?

I thought he looked lively and put their defenders under quite a lot of pressure when he came on. The incident with the keeper wasn't his fault, he made a bit of a meal of it but he didn't do anything wrong, probably wasn't quite a red but should have been a yellow for the keeper I thought. Certainly not the other way round.

• Like 1

Charlie's corner kick was excellent with Dack & Graham legally holding defenders and keeper towards nearside post while ball bent into goal.

Something they work at when training according to TM.

Relief to see we can still hold onto a 2 1 lead.

52 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/blackburn-vs-w-brom/392844

Do think the sending off was well bought, but would it have even mattered anyway?

You can't throw people to the ground like that. He did well to stay down. He could have jumped up and squared up to the lad and the ref would probably have sent both players off.

What was Dack trying to do for the Pen ? That was suicidal. That sort of thing is why we keep letting the opposition back into games.

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Given the run of form we are in I believe that is our best result of the season. Plenty of positives today and although it wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination today isn't a day for too much criticism. Along with nearly every Rovers fan I thought Travis was excellent. He tackled, he intercepted, he ran forward, he tracked back and got several important blocks in. He was well supported by many others in a real team performance.

Well done to the players and staff today. It was good to walk away from a Rovers game with a sense of pride (and relief) instead of traipsing out feeling angry and frustrated.

The way Travis played today , made a mockery of the selection of Smallwood all season !!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

The way Travis played today , made a mockery of the selection of Smallwood all season !!!

It's a strange thing at times is football. Less than a week ago he was almost certain to go out on loan and now he is probably second choice in midfield. Hopefully Mowbray sticks with him and resists his natural instinct to bring Smallwood back. We are certainly a better team without Smallwood starting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Charlie's corner kick was excellent with Dack & Graham legally holding defenders and keeper towards nearside post while ball bent into goal.

Something they work at when training according to TM.

Relief to see we can still hold onto a 2 1 lead.

How do you legally hold a player? (Genuine question).

• Moderation Lead
58 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

By god we needed those three points which take the pressure off a bit. However at the risk of sounding negative I fear it may be only papering over the cracks as the underlying problems still remain.

After Dack set up a one on one for Graham inside the first 4 minutes which he was too slow to capitalise on  I thought we'd play until this time next week until we got a freak goal with Mulgrew scoring direct from a corner After that we played a lot better for a period and Armstrong came up with a bit of brilliant play to set Dack away and he showed great quality to take out the defender by cutting back inside the.defender and arrow the ball into the top left hand corner.

After that we contrived to make hard work of it by conceding a needless penalty, we had the usual bizarre TM substitution replacing Dack with Conway and we ended up having to be reliant on a brilliant save from Raya to seal the points despite finishing the match against ten men.

Main positive: Travis. As at Sheffield he was excellent and fully deserved his MOM award. Too many negatives for me though to think the win is anything other than "a blip" rather than the start of a sustained run of form.

- Bennett  -  not a RB and had a shocker today

- Lenihan - looks poor at the moment

- Mulgrew  - prone to letting the opposition get free headers on our goal

- Bell - nowhere near as bad as Williams but still not that convincing

- Evans - degenerating into the bastard love child of Jason Lowe and Keith Andrews, marking space and doing a lot of pointing whilst the game completely passes him by

- Not getting the best of the tenacious Reed out wide.

- Graham - completely past it for me and hardly touched the ball in the second half

Has Graham done something to upset you? I’m not picking on you and I know everyone has a different opinion, but I’ve never seen any other Rovers fan be anything but full of praise for him....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

• Backroom
1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Has Graham done something to upset you? I’m not picking on you and I know everyone has a different opinion, but I’ve never seen any other Rovers fan be anything but full of praise for him....

He was purchased by Lambert. Same with Bennett. You may or may not remember that Rev has an irrational hatred of anything Paul Lambert related :unsure:

• Moderation Lead
Just now, DE. said:

He was purchased by Lambert. Same with Bennett. You may or may not remember that Rev has an irrational hatred of anything Paul Lambert related :unsure:

Bennett is fairly limited and I’d like it if he contributed more goals and assists from the wing admittedly, but I always appreciate a grafter...

Edited by K-Hod