BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, LDRover said:

Mods, can you not let chaddy back so he can tell us why this is a great deal? While he's at it he can update us on how well our European scouting department is getting on.

He's already back !

Just now, arbitro said:

I described our transfer policy as scattergun recently and was rounded on by some who disagreed. I don't see any planning in our business so far and now there is a hint of desperation. There doesn't appear to have been any scouting of any of our signings so far. Mowbray's brave new world is in danger of falling off a cliff.

I honestly think something has gone massively awry at Rovers in the last few months.

I suspect that Mowbray went off to India with bold aims, but was told that there would be no money and that he would have to generate cash though sales before being allowed to spend. 

I believe that is the true reason for his u-turn on defenders, as there simply isn't the cash to do what he suggested he would do.

The Raya sale I believe was motivated by a wish to raise funds, rather than by Raya's ability or his desire to be here. If there was a serious aim to progress you would keep Raya, let Leutwiler go and sign another decent keeper to compete with Raya. 

Perhaps the most baffling aspect of the summer is the decision to then use up all the Raya money on Sam Gallagher. As I said earlier I quite like him and think he could be a decent signing but if he's used up all the cash in the pot I see it as lunacy. I imagine that Mowbray had put a lot of time and effort into the Gallagher deal perhaps even with a verbal agreement with the lad to come here this summer, so that's why we went back in and did that one having been keen on him in the last two windows.

It seems the aim now is to rectify our defensive issues through wheeling and dealing in frees and loans. That's ok if you pick up quality but to do that you have to pay the wages and you have to strike quickly and decisively. The best ones get snapped up quickly by those who act decisively and pay the going rate. 

The botched Bauer pursuit was a worry. The time it is taking to sign a keeper or CB is a worry. The names we are being linked with are a worry. 

I can't see how we are going to get any improvement on our defensive issues of last season. 

Just now, arbitro said:

I described our transfer policy as scattergun recently and was rounded on by some who disagreed. I don't see any planning in our business so far and now there is a hint of desperation. There doesn't appear to have been any scouting of any of our signings so far. Mowbray's brave new world is in danger of falling off a cliff.

I honestly think something has gone massively awry at Rovers in the last few months.

Apart from the Jack Walker era, haven’t we always done our work at the back end of the transfer deadline when all the big boys have done their business Arbitro? I think so. Managers should always have plans, but if you’re back of the queue ( which we are) it’s very difficult to get the balance they want.

I don’t like it, I’ve never liked it, but I think that’s just the way it is. Of course the hopes are that when very rich owners step in things will change. The only thing I can add is that on the occasions where the owners have backed the manager with a large transfer budget, our managers seem to have blown it all on one player. It hardly ever worked.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I suspect that Mowbray went off to India with bold aims, but was told that there would be no money and that he would have to generate cash though sales before being allowed to spend. 

I believe that is the true reason for his u-turn on defenders, as there simply isn't the cash to do what he suggested he would do.

The Raya sale I believe was motivated by a wish to raise funds, rather than by Raya's ability or his desire to be here. If there was a serious aim to progress you would keep Raya, let Leutwiler go and sign another decent keeper to compete with Raya. 

Perhaps the most baffling aspect of the summer is the decision to then use up all the Raya money on Sam Gallagher. As I said earlier I quite like him and think he could be a decent signing but if he's used up all the cash in the pot I see it as lunacy. I imagine that Mowbray had put a lot of time and effort into the Gallagher deal perhaps even with a verbal agreement with the lad to come here this summer, so that's why we went back in and did that one having been keen on him in the last two windows.

It seems the aim now is to rectify our defensive issues through wheeling and dealing in frees and loans. That's ok if you pick up quality but to do that you have to pay the wages and you have to strike quickly and decisively. The best ones get snapped up quickly by those who act decisively and pay the going rate. 

The botched Bauer pursuit was a worry. The time it is taking to sign a keeper or CB is a worry. The names we are being linked with are a worry. 

I can't see how we are going to get any improvement on our defensive issues of last season. 

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same team to start against Charlton that finished last season...pretty pathetic

I wouldn’t choose Eastwood but weirdly, of all the keepers we’ve been linked to it would appear that he’s universally loved by his fans and media who are devastated by his potential departure!! ??? 

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Is this Adarabioyo decent in the air? You would hope so at 6’5 but I’ve seen plenty of giants who are terrible aerially despite being huge! We need someone at the back who just loves heading.

None of the video clips show the ball in the air so the answer is don't know...

Strengths seem to be very clean (just one yellow card as a central defender!)

Uses his long legs to devastating effect in dispossessing opponents

Explosive sort distance pace

Decent ball distribution.

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

No problem, got great game management has Bradley Johnson.

Opinions that don’t immediatly assume the worst must really “flex” you’re mood, since you never stop with the petty pas-ag crap these days.

Its almost like you and JHR have had personality transplants :) 

Just now, Biz said:

Opinions that don’t immediatly assume the worst must really “flex” you’re mood, since you never stop with the petty pas-ag crap these days.

Its almost like you and JHR have had personality transplants :) 

Is that an admission that there is no master plan for an experienced keeper and defenders to be brought in?

Feel free to be optimistic, but don’t get arsey with others if it’s proven to be unfounded.

Edited by Mattyblue

Not a gag at this rate, is it...

I’ll be as pissed off as you if we start the season without a GK and CB, but I’m not about to start dreaming up scenarios about having to sell to buy - purely from TMs articles.

As phillipl said t’uther day - it’s not a bad thing if we (fans) and media think the club is skint. It’s far better than “Nixon’s Warchest” anyway.

In reply to your edit - I’m always happy to admit it I’m wrong, but I rarely make my mind up definitively as not to be close minded.

Ill get arsey if you bait me into posting via quotes I’ve said out of context, no link or @ sign purely as a wind up!

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Bang on Arbitro. If we had to raise funds to support our plans then selling Raya was probably about the best feasible option. We wouldn't get the cash for the ones we all know aren't good enough and we wouldn't want to lose those that would command decent money. So Brereton looks more ridiculous by the hour at £7m. Add to that we have topped up the wage bill with Downing which also looks mystifying if things are tight.

None of what we have signed or any we have been linked with reflect well on our scouting system let alone our European ''enhancements''. So far ,a combination of known to TM from previous clubs/played here before/played well in a game against a TM team in the past/live on the same estate in the North east !!   

If that's our level and our budget then that's what it is but from April onwards we have simply been fed absolute rubbish by him and Waggott so much so that they cant remember what's been said earlier and constantly contradict and back track on themselves. All this same budget/defenders are coming/need to stop conceding 68 goals/get them in early nonsense is exactly that.....nonsense. 

Even if we sign a couple of top notchers now (extremely unlikely) then this window could never be described as anything other than haphazard and certainly not planned .No way Walton was our top GK target. So yes, something appears to have gone decidedly wrong down Ewood way.

I stand by my harsh words of last week, I think Mowbray is not very bright. He is as safe a pair of hands as exist in this murky world but tactically crap, not brave enough and too loyal to guys who don't give him any trouble but who fundamentally aren't up to the job.

Ladies and gents we might flatter to deceive at points in the season but overall we ain't going anywhere with this bloke in charge.        

• Like 3

Just now, TBTF said:

Bang on Arbitro. If we had to raise funds to support our plans then selling Raya was probably about the best feasible option. We wouldn't get the cash for the ones we all know aren't good enough and we wouldn't want to lose those that would command decent money. So Brereton looks more ridiculous by the hour at £7m. Add to that we have topped up the wage bill with Downing which also looks mystifying if things are tight.

None of what we have signed or any we have been linked with reflect well on our scouting system let alone our European ''enhancements''. So far ,a combination of known to TM from previous clubs/played here before/played well in a game against a TM team in the past/live on the same estate in the North east !!   

If that's our level and our budget then that's what it is but from April onwards we have simply been fed absolute rubbish by him and Waggott so much so that they cant remember what's been said earlier and constantly contradict and back track on themselves. All this same budget/defenders are coming/need to stop conceding 68 goals/get them in early nonsense is exactly that.....nonsense. 

Even if we sign a couple of top notchers now (extremely unlikely) then this window could never be described as anything other than haphazard and certainly not planned .No way Walton was our top GK target. So yes, something appears to have gone decidedly wrong down Ewood way.

I stand by my harsh words of last week, I think Mowbray is not very bright. He is as safe a pair of hands as exist in this murky world but tactically crap, not brave enough and too loyal to guys who don't give him any trouble but who fundamentally aren't up to the job.

Ladies and gents we might flatter to deceive at points in the season but overall we ain't going anywhere with this bloke in charge.        

Totally agree

Just now, Biz said:

I’ll be as pissed off as you if we start the season without a GK and CB, but I’m not about to start dreaming up scenarios about having to sell to buy - purely from TMs articles.

As phillipl said t’uther day - it’s not a bad thing if we (fans) and media think the club is skint. It’s far better than “Nixon’s Warchest” anyway.

How is it ‘dreaming up scenarios’? The manager literally said last night we ‘sold the goalie to help buy a forward’

As said goalie is to be replaced by a loanee, that says to me that’s exactly what’s happened.

Now if it’s all a game of poker and an experienced keeper and centre half are soon to emerge, then great, but don’t you like to bring up Occam’s razor?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

scattergun contracts eh!

Progress we would never have known about had Smallwood not got sent off at Sheff Utd. Trav would have been on loan at Fleetwood or somewhere daft. 

That said I think he's a player and its the right decision. But Tony , FFS don't try and use this as a distraction to a crap transfer window   

• Like 1

How is it ‘dreaming up scenarios’? The manager literally said last night we ‘sold the goalie to help buy a forward’

As said goalie is to be replaced by a loanee, that says to me that’s exactly what’s happened.

Yea- it’s TM’s words.

Do we take those or the ones where he said Raya wanted to leave?

If you honestly can’t take some element of “a pinch of salt” with his comments, id give up reading them.