BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JHRover said:

So you're happy or comfortable with the plan which last time saw us end up in League One?

Haha - It’s completely out of my control either way mate! If I owned the club, had the money and the inclination to spend £17m a season of my own money then I’d feel more confident! 

Venkys are behaving very different to the Bowyer era imo and I think they trust Waggott and TM. But who knows, they might decided to cash in their chips at anytime!? Could you blame them? 

Sorry lads, I know I am possibly asking something that has already been answered. But is it true to say that the expected in-comings for today are Walton and Adarabioyo?

And then, (possibly later this week?) we should be welcoming the experienced keeper and centre-half?

Just now, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Sorry lads, I know I am possibly asking something that has already been answered. But is it true to say that the expected in-comings for today are Walton and Adarabioyo?

And then, (possibly later this week?) we should be welcoming the experienced keeper and centre-half?

Yes, I think that’s the plan

• Like 1

Walton and Adarabioyo set to sign today.

We will then look at what is left within the budget and see what we can get with the remaining budget with an experienced goalkeeper being the key and then a centre back if the budget stretches that far.

• Like 6

I think the first bit is correct.

As for what else is to come, god only knows.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Last time we moved in a 3 season cycle. We spent good money and signed quality under Bowyer, let it grow and then slashed and burned in no time at all, refused to reinvest anything and ended up getting relegated. So we have done the selling part - bringing in more cash than most clubs will have done at this level - we just did it all at once with no ability to strengthen after it. You must be confident in Venkys if you don't think similar could happen next summer.

That’s a strange way of explaining our finances under Bowyer.

Surely it’s worth mentioning that he inherited the 50m a season black hole in finance, countless staff and players still being paid after leaving, and a completely hacked to death academy system / squad chock full of insane contracts for average players.

I personally don’t think this scenario and that one stacks up. For example, I’d probably hazard a guess that the wages of Johnson, Downing, Dack, Lenihan and Graham are insignificant now compared to the likes of Jason Lowe, Jake Kean, David Goodwillie etc of the time.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

We will then look at what is left within the budget and see what we can get with the remaining budget with an experienced goalkeeper being the key and then a centre back if the budget stretches that far.

Hmm, so it's all about the money then..

I thought our owners were slumdog billionaires.?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Why did Waggott say we were within FFP parameters if there's now a risk and we'll have to sell Dack next summer to comply?

We were told at the last consultation meeting by both Steve Waggott and Mike Cheston that it would be tight with regard to FFP by next summer.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

ie back to front!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, unsall said:

Hmm,think he’s going to sort out the goalkeeper situation and defenders, according to all reports, and still keep in FFP regs, which is not easy, other clubs have had to sell the grounds etc to comply, pointless to keep going back and blaming Venkys (we all know they screwed up) but whatever you think of them,we need them to keep pumping money in every month, yes I know we can be like Bournemouth,Leicester etc but teams like Fulham who are mega rich still get relegated, and you mention Bolton/ Bury and don’t want to be compared with, but we could easily end up like them if the owners decide to cut and run. I’m just grateful we aren’t in their position and very hopeful we can have a decent season. 

Thanks for a very sensible assessment of the position we are in.  I totally agree with everything you say.  I'm sure a few years ago both Bolton and Bury fans were saying someone will buy us - and they did and look where they are now.  Slow and steady progress may not be exciting but I'm more than happy to keep on that path rather than gamble the future of the club away.  As you say, massive mistakes were made early on but we can't alter that - the past is the past - we can only look to the future and, sadly, our income streams mean we are always going to be up against it with regard to FFP.

• Like 5

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Hmm, so it's all about the money then..

I thought our owners were slumdog billionaires.?

There is an agreed amount that TM and Waggott were happy to work with, they have then further supplemented that with the sale of Raya.  

I much prefer this approach where we are spending what we can realistically afford rather than the uncontrolled spending of the past.

Personally, I would have liked for the defence to reinforced before buying a striker but these are decisions made by TM and he will live or die by them if he gets it wrong,

• Like 3

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Thanks for a very sensible assessment of the position we are in.  I totally agree with everything you say.  I'm sure a few years ago both Bolton and Bury fans were saying someone will buy us - and they did and look where they are now.  Slow and steady progress may not be exciting but I'm more than happy to keep on that path rather than gamble the future of the club away.  As you say, massive mistakes were made early on but we can't alter that - the past is the past - we can only look to the future and, sadly, our income streams mean we are always going to be up against it with regard to FFP.

Then we need to be bloody careful with what we do spend... last summer’s deadline day could hamper us significantly.

• Like 1

Just now, Kamy100 said:

Crazy to prioritise signing 2 goalkeepers over signing 2 centre backs.

• Like 2

Just because Mowbray has said he wanted to increase his budget by selling, it doesn't mean he doesn't already have a decent one...

Maybe Mowbray wanted to sign a 5m centre forward and a 5m centre half- therefor he needed to sell a player to buff his budget out..

Even massive sides sometimes have to sell players they'd otherwise like to keep to allow them to bring someone in..

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Of course there are variables. But I didn’t even mention Travis, Buckley, Lenihan, JRC etc who could also command big fees. 

As for rolling the dice? Wow, they literally cannot win. If you / we want them to have the slightest chance of going up they have to spend money. How else are they going to generate the cash to stay within ffp? They are simply trying to grow as many assets as possible to offset the risk. Oppositely, we go back to living within our means, struggling to 15k fans through the gates and languish in the lower part of the championship?

Q - How many other clubs with similar gates and income and no parachute money are spending like we are and not selling their Crown Jewels every summer? 

It's a policy that is built on sand in my view. Therefore it's a roll of the dice. Selling your best players, as we have seen in the past is not a good policy.

Derby and Forest (albeit with smaller gates) have circumvented FFP with some imagination. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I'd sooner have an experienced centre half and then experienced keeper if the budget stretches. Surely Walton not coming on season loan to sit on bench.

• Like 1

Just now, Kamy100 said:

There is an agreed amount that TM and Waggott were happy to work with, they have then further supplemented that with the sale of Raya.  

I much prefer this approach where we are spending what we can realistically afford rather than the uncontrolled spending of the past.

Don't disagree Kamy but whilst we all know transfers don't necessarily happen in the preferred order for many reasons , overloading midfield and striking dept (where apparently nobody will play down the middle!!) looks flawed. If we had a tough big back four who could kick and scratch ie just out and out defenders then those in front of them will often create something somewhere . The problem we have had for a long time and at this minute still looks the case , is that we concede soft goals and can often implode and ship a few goals in a few minutes in games.

This is what most on here have identified for ever and why £7m on Brereton looks so odd in that context. £7m spent on proper defenders and GK would in my opinion have given us a pretty decent foundation to start looking upwards in the Championship .You could probably have got 4 proper ones for that money . As it stands, its gone on  a player whose attributes aren't clear , nor is his favoured position and very likely he wont be a regular starter.

That in the eyes of many is  a very muddled, ill thought out transfer policy when the funds have to be carefully watched.  Basically it all looks a bit of a mess less than 2 weeks to the big kick off. 

• Like 3

The word experience gets used a lot on here of late. I dont care if the CB or GK is experinced, I just want them to be good and better than what we have now.

Its that simple really. Improve the team.

Apart from Graham, all our experinced players where pretty poor last year and we spent a season crying out for youth.

• Like 5

Just now, tomphil said:

It's almost like he's tried his level best not to bring in an good experienced CB lol

Charlie bhoy must really hold some sway.

I think it was pretty much universally accepted that the number 1 priority was a new first choice centre back to come in, alongside Lenihan and push Mulgrew & Williams down the pecking order (or out altogether).

I appreciate that you need to get players in when they become available but we aren't going to move forward unless the defensive frailties are resolved. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Plenty of room. Smallwood getting fazed out, Evans has half a season, max, Rothwell will play further forward and Downing will be used in different positions. I think Davenport will have been earmarked to play a lot of football this year and I hope (in his absence) that they play Buckley rather than sign Adam or Whelan.

My ideal in a 433 would be to play Johnson as the anchor and play Travis (to the right of the three) and one of Rothwell or Buckley to the left. 

49 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They’ve got plenty of money and the plan is to sell Dack next summer anyway to stave off any potential threat. It’s believed by this time that B.B. Gally and Arma along with Butterworth and Rothwell will have developed sufficiently to step into those shoes and keep us moving forwards...

Here’s a funny one. People pay most money for young forwards who score goals. If those five kicked on over the next 3yrs you’ve probably got between £50-75m of assets after Dack. Sell one every summer and you remain competitive, keep ffp at bay and continue to build...maybe that’s why we spend our money on the academy and forwards ?

Few things:

- What makes you suggest that Evans "has half a season, max?" Mowbray played his strongest 11 yesterday, Evans played. Unlike Smallwood who didnt play as much in the second half of last season, Evans wasnt at all phased out, has a new contract and seemingly id a big part of Mowbrays plans.

- Where does Dack fit in your 433? We cant play a formation that doesnt suit our best player.

- Thats a massive, massive assumption. 50-75m is quite frankly ridicilious for 5 players who all are young and have scope for development, but none have really any evidence that they can or will ever justify the massive figures youve just plonked on their collective heads.

- If you also are so focused on stockpiling young attackers, you remove yourself from actually the primary objective of short term success, if we dont equally focus on the rest of the team at the same time. For example, we continue to neglect the full back area.

You have to understand why defending Venkys is always going to be a touchy subject considering what theyve done. Theres nothing to be grateful for.

• Like 7

Oh how I wish the nomenclature for 'free transfers' was changed to something like a 'wages-only transfer' (and even then, there will still potentially be signing-on fees, agent fees, etc etc...)

Just now, arbitro said:

It's a policy that is built on sand in my view. Therefore it's a roll of the dice. Selling your best players, as we have seen in the past is not a good policy.

Derby and Forest (albeit with smaller gates) have circumvented FFP with some imagination. 

? Do you think we should sell Ewood Park to Venky's, as Derby and Villa have done? This seems to be hinted at by some posters, but I'd be curious if anyone is 'brave' enough to explicitly advocate for that!

Forest have had some pretty significant sales in recent years... they booked £25m in player trading profits in 2017 and 2018, and they've trimmed their wages recently too. You may be referring to their owner's loan write-offs, but those will likely be excluded from FPP (as was the case for QPR, hence their breach of FFP). Even then, their most recent accounts show Forest still has a decent amount of headroom under FFP after excluding the loan write-offs.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

Letting Raya go only to replace him with Walton on loan still just makes absolutely no sense to me. 

It looks like (to me at least) we've sold Raya to bring in some money and that money will be spent/has been spent on a striker (Gally) and a CB (yet to be determined). We obviously still need a keeper and i suspect it will be a loan to buy, so it basically comes out of next seasons budget.

• Like 1