BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, bluebruce said:

Don't think there's been any clamour to 'replace' Davenport, a lad who has sadly only played one game for us if I remember rightly? We have a ton of CMs and the lad is only out for 6-8 weeks (for now..). There wasn't really room in the squad as it was for two fringe youth players who should both be pushing on.

Plenty of room. Smallwood getting fazed out, Evans has half a season, max, Rothwell will play further forward and Downing will be used in different positions. I think Davenport will have been earmarked to play a lot of football this year and I hope (in his absence) that they play Buckley rather than sign Adam or Whelan.

My ideal in a 433 would be to play Johnson as the anchor and play Travis (to the right of the three) and one of Rothwell or Buckley to the left. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

All the reports are loan though. We will see, think we had it reported as a loan once when it was actually a permanent...wasn't it with Davenport, funnily enough?

It would be odd for all parties if they did purely loan. Not least Brighton who slapped a price tag of reported £3m on him in May. I reckon loan to buy for £1m with a sell on...just a guess.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hello Guys, hope you are all well. 

my views on signings so far. 

Bradley Johnson, very good signing and I wasn't expect someone of his experience. Great to get him on a free considering his experience and knowledge of this league

Stewart Downing, wasn't a fan of this signing but can understand why Mowbray wanted him use. same as Johnson. 

Sam Gallagher, pleased with this signing, I know that Mowbray has wanted him for over 12 months back here aswell. 

on the potential signings on Walton and Adarabioyo:- 

Walton, im undecided on tbh. I don't think he was Mowbray 1st or 2nd choice for goalkeeper slot. Hopefully we still trying to get an experience keeper in which we need. Hope the Walton deal is loan to buy deal. 

Adarabioyo, I think he will be good signing. experience the championship last season and will only grow with his experience last season. 

what do we need after those two signings

experience keeper. Im still hoping for Forster from Southampton or Adrian the ex West Ham Keeper on a free. I'm pleased we have hopefully move on from Scott Carson. I wanted earlier in the summer but after the 1875 podcasts on the keeper situation I was very much put off by the stats on Carson. 

Centre back. If we could get Liam Cooper I would be delight cos that the type of signing we need in. Seems that what Mowbray is saving his money for and partly why Raya was sold aswell as him wanted out which he did. 

I did want a right back but I'm happy with the current 3 options there. I did want Sam Byram but he want to Norwich who got a great deal for him. Obujado was another I want but went Sheff Wed before Bruce left

NOW it's a transfer window! Welcome back Chadster!

Agree with your analysis there. Liam Cooper is a really solid suggestion and not one I think we've been linked to either.

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'm struggling to understand this Walton loan deal from a few angles. Maybe someone can help me out.

Why don't Wigan want him back? If they do, why are Brighton or the player in favour of sending him to us instead? He's played a lot of games for them over the last couple of seasons, and kept a scary amount of clean sheets (I assume the vast bulk in League One though). On the face of it, it seems he would be the number one at Wigan, playing in the same league, familiar environment, and just going off goals conceded in total and away, a slightly better defence? I can't see why Brighton or Walton would swap that for a new environment, shaky defence, and being only a challenger for the jersey based on TM's remarks. So I'm assuming it comes down to Wigan not wanting him back, or having signed a better goalie?

The other part I doubt anyone will help me with, they'll probably just give me opinions I don't agree with (I can picture them now), but I'll say it anyway. What's to be gained from this being a loan deal, for Brighton or the player? Again, he's not likely to be a guaranteed starter here at all if we get this more experienced goalie, and at this point of his development surely he needs that and can get that (maybe from one of the promoted teams if nobody else?). I can see how it helps us, we presumably get cheap, decent cover without splashing out for it. I'd rather we signed him permanently though. I'm wondering if we might find out this is actually a loan with a view to buy (if not in clause, then in principle if we like him). Partly because we like to do that, and partly because it would make more sense to Brighton (financial incentive) and Walton (chance for a stable home and maybe as number one after our older keeper ends his loan or starts to wobble).

A further benefit for us might be that if he doesn't play so much due to competition here, his price tag might drop...though this might make him less likely to want to join us.

Wigan picked up Marshall on a free. Experienced keeper that could have helped us

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

And it would need less careful management if we hadn't splurged £12 million or whatever it is on players who almost certainly won't be playing against Charlton. 

Exactly what I was thinking. You can’t plead poverty stood in front of £12million sat on the bench. I doubt BB/SG will get 15 starts between them this season unless Graham gets injured.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Scott Sinclair

Ewan Henderson

Leigh Griffith's

Those are the wingers that were in the bench mid week....

Jonny Heyes is a winger who was on the bench, unused sub, more likely him.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

All the reports are loan though. We will see, think we had it reported as a loan once when it was actually a permanent...wasn't it with Davenport, funnily enough?

Same agent as SG so it could be a goer.

Don't think the signings so far (and the prospective ones) are good enough to talk of a promotion push. 

Downing: meh - struggling to see much benefit to this- apart from someone to take over from Conway collecting fines.

Johnson - could be the best signing of the lot - or the worst.  If he's hungry enough, he has the the pedigree.

Gallagher:  must have been better options out there but a steady acquisition who could well improve with games.  

Walton:  big lad, but career wise on a par with Raya and only on loan. No value in the signing.

'The lad from City' : Again, much needed height but unless its loan with a view, not really the big experienced CB we need.  

Window is average to poor so far.

Still short of an experienced CB (who's played there all career  - not ex midfield)

Still need an experienced keeper of some quality.  

A left back if we are playing wing backs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

And it would need less careful management if we hadn't splurged £12 million or whatever it is on players who almost certainly won't be playing against Charlton. 

If Venkys actually ran the club properly then we could be like Leicester, or Wolves, who have benefited from foreign 'billionaires' whereas this mob have brought absolutely nothing good to this club other than people being grateful they haven't bankrupted us like Bolton and Bury. Great.

12 mil,? Obviously you’re on about Bereton, do you also mean the 5 mil on Gallagher, who you said previously was a good buy?

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hello Guys, hope you are all well. 

my views on signings so far. 

Bradley Johnson, very good signing and I wasn't expect someone of his experience. Great to get him on a free considering his experience and knowledge of this league

Stewart Downing, wasn't a fan of this signing but can understand why Mowbray wanted him use. same as Johnson. 

Sam Gallagher, pleased with this signing, I know that Mowbray has wanted him for over 12 months back here aswell. 

on the potential signings on Walton and Adarabioyo:- 

Walton, im undecided on tbh. I don't think he was Mowbray 1st or 2nd choice for goalkeeper slot. Hopefully we still trying to get an experience keeper in which we need. Hope the Walton deal is loan to buy deal. 

Adarabioyo, I think he will be good signing. experience the championship last season and will only grow with his experience last season. 

what do we need after those two signings

experience keeper. Im still hoping for Forster from Southampton or Adrian the ex West Ham Keeper on a free. I'm pleased we have hopefully move on from Scott Carson. I wanted earlier in the summer but after the 1875 podcasts on the keeper situation I was very much put off by the stats on Carson. 

Centre back. If we could get Liam Cooper I would be delight cos that the type of signing we need in. Seems that what Mowbray is saving his money for and partly why Raya was sold aswell as him wanted out which he did. 

I did want a right back but I'm happy with the current 3 options there. I did want Sam Byram but he want to Norwich who got a great deal for him. Obujado was another I want but went Sheff Wed before Bruce left

Welcome back Chaddy.

• Like 1

Such has been the bonkers and unexplainable nature of this ownership we have to be the only fanbase in England where an element are suspicious and complaining when we are spending millions.

We also have to be the only club in the Championship who look like only buying multi million pound substitutes whilst signing frees and loans for the first 11 ???

Is it any real wonder debates rage.

• Like 9

Just now, tomphil said:

Such has been the bonkers and unexplainable nature of this ownership we have to be the only fanbase in England where an element are suspicious and complaining when we are spending millions.

We also have to be the only club in the Championship who look like only buying multi million pound substitutes whilst signing frees and loans for the first 11 ???

Is it any real wonder debates rage.

Debates? 

I don’t call a sweeping “we’ve wasted millions on substitutes” a debate TP.

A debate on the individual merits of the signings fair enough, or if you’re thinking squad value compared to the day TM took over, there is no comparison. 

Equally - many views ignore key factors in order to assume worry or deliberate problems. For example, arguably the three best recent graduates prior to last season - Raya/Lenihan/Nyambe are all defenders.... notice nobody mentioned that when the “venkys don’t buy defenders” half baked theory made us all slightly more close to death.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Don't think the signings so far (and the prospective ones) are good enough to talk of a promotion push. 

Downing: meh - struggling to see much benefit to this- apart from someone to take over from Conway collecting fines.

Johnson - could be the best signing of the lot - or the worst.  If he's hungry enough, he has the the pedigree.

Gallagher:  must have been better options out there but a steady acquisition who could well improve with games.  

Walton:  big lad, but career wise on a par with Raya and only on loan. No value in the signing.

'The lad from City' : Again, much needed height but unless its loan with a view, not really the big experienced CB we need.  

Window is average to poor so far.

Still short of an experienced CB (who's played there all career  - not ex midfield)

Still need an experienced keeper of some quality.  

A left back if we are playing wing backs.

Three different words in each of those sentences could’ve changed the prognosis to ‘good to very good’....a simple glass half full to glass half empty scenario.

I do however, agree that an experienced keeper AND cb are imperative to us having the depth and quality to push the top 6. In particular, the sight of Jermaine Defoe rising in between our two floundering cb’s to head in a cross in our 6yard box with no keeper flying out to clatter him yesterday should’ve rung every alarm bell possible to the management team....

• Like 2

Paul -

You sticking to your view that Mowbray needs to be be held responsible for a failed transfer policy, if by the close of the window we haven’t significantly improved the defence?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, unsall said:

12 mil,? Obviously you’re on about Bereton, do you also mean the 5 mil on Gallagher, who you said previously was a good buy?

A good buy in isolation yes. But not if that's all our money gone and we aren't going to see similar invested into essential areas and are now resorting to Ffp excuses. If Ffp is a problem preventing us from addressing GK and defence then we shouldn't have bought Gallagher.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Paul -

You sticking to your view that Mowbray needs to be be held responsible for a failed transfer policy, if by the close of the window we haven’t significantly improved the defence?

100% - I think the players we have signed and are about to sign have been / are good. Contrary to what has been said on here the manager said he wanted to add championship experience and he’s done that in spades. The timing could’ve been better but in having cause to read a couple of other clubs mb’s last week I discovered that there’s far more worry elsewhere where virtually no players have been signed. The Wigan and Preston ones were particularly entertaining with both boards openly worried about relegation, slagging the ownership and looking enviously at OUR business!! (Did make me laugh)

As I said in May, the manager has stated his aim to challenge the top 6 and in order to do that you need quality in depth. We have that now imo in both Midfield and Forwards. BUT the addition of Walton and Ada will not adequately sure up our defence and therefore, if we stop there then for the first time TM will have actually failed and I will begin to lose faith in his ability to take my beloved club to where it wants to go.

Hes got significant financial muscle. Those painting us out to be penniless are so wrong. The infrastructure is growing daily. It wouldn’t even surprise me if they do a cash buy AFTER doing the exp keeper and Defender. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

A good buy in isolation yes. But not if that's all our money gone and we aren't going to see similar invested into essential areas and are now resorting to Ffp excuses. If Ffp is a problem preventing us from addressing GK and defence then we shouldn't have bought Gallagher.

They’ve got plenty of money and the plan is to sell Dack next summer anyway to stave off any potential threat. It’s believed by this time that B.B. Gally and Arma along with Butterworth and Rothwell will have developed sufficiently to step into those shoes and keep us moving forwards...

Here’s a funny one. People pay most money for young forwards who score goals. If those five kicked on over the next 3yrs you’ve probably got between £50-75m of assets after Dack. Sell one every summer and you remain competitive, keep ffp at bay and continue to build...maybe that’s why we spend our money on the academy and forwards ?

• Like 2

Best laid plans and all that. Lot of assumptions in that post, especially if the form of one player is our future financial fall back as a club.

so we hope Dack continues in decent form, doesn’t suffer an injury and the other players actually do ‘kick on’. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1