3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Thanks for a very sensible assessment of the position we are in.  I totally agree with everything you say.  I'm sure a few years ago both Bolton and Bury fans were saying someone will buy us - and they did and look where they are now.  Slow and steady progress may not be exciting but I'm more than happy to keep on that path rather than gamble the future of the club away.  As you say, massive mistakes were made early on but we can't alter that - the past is the past - we can only look to the future and, sadly, our income streams mean we are always going to be up against it with regard to FFP.

In 2015/16 - the season before Mowbray arrived, we finished 15th in the Championship.

In 2018/19, after two and a half seasons with Mowbray in charge, we finished 15th in the Championship.

We are NOT progressing!  When will the penny drop?

If Mowbray gets us any higher than 15th this coming season, I would be extremely surprised.

We've lost a goalie with far more potential than wither Walton or Eastwood and signed Gallagher for £5million because I think Mowbray spunked £7+million away on Brereton.

For me, an underwhelming window so far and that's being generous.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Burnley

Haha some folk honestly, don’t have anything to prove to anyone, been spot on the money with a good few leaks yet aye I’m making it all up. Give yourself a rest. I’m not claiming to be anything specia

Posted Images

Way I see it, not much difference between Raya and Walton.

If we get Walton in with a view to buy in a year if he does well that's good business in my book. If he doesn't excel, can easily move onto other targets in  a year.

Not an awful situation given it sounds like we've missed out on a few targets before Walton.

Then it's just a case of how the £3m from Raya is spent. If we end up getting a CB in on a permanent, pretty sure we'll be better overall as a result of Raya leaving and that was the biggest area of concern judging from reactions on here!

Just now, jones_rover said:

Way I see it, not much difference between Raya and Walton.

If we get Walton in with a view to buy in a year if he does well that's good business in my book. If he doesn't excel, can easily move onto other targets in  a year.

Not an awful situation given it sounds like we've missed out on a few targets before Walton.

Then it's just a case of how the £3m from Raya is spent. If we end up getting a CB in on a permanent, pretty sure we'll be better overall as a result of Raya leaving and that was the biggest area of concern judging from reactions on here!

A lot of if's there.

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

There is an agreed amount that TM and Waggott were happy to work with, they have then further supplemented that with the sale of Raya.  

I much prefer this approach where we are spending what we can realistically afford rather than the uncontrolled spending of the past.

Personally, I would have liked for the defence to reinforced before buying a striker but these are decisions made by TM and he will live or die by them if he gets it wrong,

I think he dropped a huge b0ll0ck with Brereton at £7+million with commensurate wages.

We are scraping around in the dregs of the market, IMO.

Yet Mowbray is still here.

IMO, he doesn't know the market and he can't work the market.  I think it's plain to see. 

Just now, Mercer said:

In 2015/16 - the season before Mowbray arrived, we finished 15th in the Championship.

In 2018/19, after two and a half seasons with Mowbray in charge, we finished 15th in the Championship.

If Mowbray gets us any higher than 15th this coming season, I would be extremely surprised.

We've lost a goalie with far more potential than wither Walton or Eastwood and signed Gallagher for £5million because I think Mowbray spunked £7+million away on Brereton.

Post of the day

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

But why sell your keeper before you have secured a replacement?

It’s not always that simple. Raya May have forced it to the extent where he would be unsettled. They may have had ample choice at that time. I don’t know the full ins and outs, hence why I’d try not to be too close minded about how and why it happened.

Just now, Mercer said:

Using two stats in isolation to prove a point rarely reflects well on the opinion from my experience.

I mean, simply putting in a few elements of what TM inherited compared to what he’s got now would put more meat on the bone.

Its a far cry from Coyles Barmy donut Loan army, in my humble opinion.

Just now, Mercer said:

most disengenuous post of the day

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Based on Mowbray's comments, if the player had his heart set on leaving, it's probably best to get the deal done, rather than having somebody who'd rather be elsewhere. I'm not sure that scenario is great for the rest of the players at the club.

To be fair, if we can’t take on face value TM’s comments that he needed to be sold so we could bring in players, we can’t his comments that he wanted to leave either.

Just now, Mercer said:

We are NOT progressing!  

Remind me, what position we’re we in when Mowbray arrived......

Just now, Biz said:

Using two stats in isolation to prove a point rarely reflects well on the opinion from my experience.

I mean, simply putting in a few elements of what TM inherited compared to what he’s got now would put more meat on the bone.

Its a far cry from Coyles Barmy donut Loan army, in my humble opinion.

Coyle brought in Mulgrew and Graham.

Without those two players, I think Mowbray would have been well and truly stuffed.

The only signing Mowbray has made which comes close to the success of Mulgrew and Graham is Dack.

Just now, kokkini said:

most disengenuous post of the day

No, it's spot on.  Facts don't lie.

By the way, would suggest you don't use words you are unable to even spell correctly.

We were dead and buried under Coyle, dreadful manager that he was. Mowbray was very unfortunate to see us relegated.

We bounced straight back up, he's blooded youngsters in and signed some really exciting young players: Rothwell, Gallagher, Chapman, with tons of potential..

We're in a much better place now than under Coyle.. 

Do you not remember the season everyone's contracts expired and we were scratching around for Fode Koite, Guthrie etc on free transfers?

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Or perhaps some signings are just easier to wrap up than others...

But we don't need 2 keepers we need one. We have other areas in the starting 11 that need addressing much more urgently than which goal keeper sits on the bench.

Just now, Biz said:

It’s not always that simple. Raya May have forced it to the extent where he would be unsettled. They may have had ample choice at that time. I don’t know the full ins and outs, hence why I’d try not to be too close minded about how and why it happened.

What ever the reasons the facts are we sold a player without no replacement secured and are now scratching around for second rate replacements, who are no better than what we sold. Mowbray has previously talked about sides not selling until they have a replacement sorted yet he has gone and done the complete opposite. 

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Based on Mowbray's comments, if the player had his heart set on leaving, it's probably best to get the deal done, rather than having somebody who'd rather be elsewhere. I'm not sure that scenario is great for the rest of the players at the club.

That was last week's reason for Raya leaving from Mowbray. This week's reason was that 'We sold our goalie so we could put the money towards a centre forward and a central defender'. The only problem with that idea was that we also had to spend money to replace the goalie. 

Just now, Glosrover said:

Remind me, what position we’re we in when Mowbray arrived......

Mowbray's brief was to keep us that season.  He told us that at Blues back in Feb.  He failed - full stop. 

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Mowbary just can't attract decent players. He's a dinosaur of a manager. This season is only going one way and it isn't up

Nail on head IMO>

Also, can you see the likes of Hart, Carson and Ruddy wanting to come to Rovers with the kid Benson as goalkeeper coach!  Think it's laughable.

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I wouldn’t think so if Walton comes in, can say that Walton wasn’t considered until very recently so a few deals haven’t come off. Doesn’t look very good on our recruitment to be selling our keeper without having something more solid in place. Don’t think we have reached many of our targets this summer to be honest

It’s not good at all. The only sensible explanation is that they needed it for Gally. Still willing to see how the window ends. Expect a cash buy for a CB

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I have a suspicion that a decision to loan out or even sell Leutwiler has already been made; I'm pretty sure he is going to want first-team football, and I think he'll find that in League One or possibly even at a lower Championship club. This would explain the need for two new goalkeepers - a first-teamer and a reserve.

When all is said and done, I never felt comfortable with Raya in goal. Potential? Yes, but it's quite amazing how just a few months ago he was billed on here as somebody who would be a liability, and yet now he is seen as "the one that got away". I think it's the Steven Reid syndrome; absence makes the heart grow fonder. Done is done. He must have wanted to move on if he was sold this early in the window, and whether it's Mowbray not wanting him anymore, Raya not wanting to be here, or both... It no longer matters. Done is done, and we're going to be having a new goalkeeper, which I welcome, really. We need a shake up across the entire defence.

Being a bit disingenuous there, yes he was making mistakes, but most knew he was full of potential. Talk was about competition and replacing the GK coach more than selling Raya.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Mike E unfeatured this topic
  • Mike E featured this topic
  • Mike E unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • Mike E locked this topic