BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Until venkys go I don't think any decent manager would come near rovers 

I agree with you.

You also need to factor in they’ll only deal with certain agencies and the pool of candidates reduces even further.

What a way to run a football club.

• Like 2

• Backroom
10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Sorry @Paul Mani it doesn’t ring true. A CEO would not tell a random fan he hardly knows that the manager was on the verge of the sack or which players may or may not be leaving.

Information like that is strictly confidential and employee contracts have legal implications  and I cannot see any chief executive divulging such details to a member of the public. 

Newspapers often print transfer stories which often have little semblance to the truth - they’re called fliers - and this sounds similar. In my view your claims should be taken with a barrel load of salt. 

Quite right. But SW isn't a CEO worthy of the name imo. He's not said anything about Mowbray to me, but he has certainly told me things without provocation that he absolutely should not have told me.

He strikes me as very much a 'football industry' guy. The sort who is a failed athlete but wants to hang on anyway, rather than a CEO with legitimacy from another industry such as Williams.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What if any of the players are not bid for at all by other teams? Or if no teams bid a sufficient amount for us to be willing to accept a bid, especially as our desperation to sell will put us in a poor negotiating position? Or if any of the players choose to decline any offers put their way, especially with the potential of being a free agent potentially able to command a higher signing on fee at the end of the season?

All very realistic scenarios, and ones that could lead to us having important players unregistered and frozen out, but no money to replace them as they are still picking up a wage.

Yes possible scenarios there but we have to see closer January time. 

If no club is bidding for a small fee then why reject our contract offer if no club is interest in them? 

Depends what we are asking for price wise. 

Also we can/should be targeting players to sign pre contract ourselves Or cheap fees to replace the ones we want rid off

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Won't both actually want a break from football?.

Plus Farke can probably get a Job in the Bundesliga now and isn't he more like a head coach type anyway?

I get a feeling we're heading in that direction, esp with all the chat about Wilder (also head coach) recently. I actually wonder if Smith fits that model too?

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plus Farke can probably get a Job in the Bundesliga now and isn't he more like a head coach type anyway?.

Who knows? The point is that they are unemployed and we should be sounding guys like this out as they are clearly an improvement on what we have.

Whatever the difference is, does it even matter whether someone is/was a 'head coach' or a 'manager'?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I get a feeling we're heading in that direction, esp with all the chat about Wilder (also head coach) recently. I actually wonder if Smith fits that model too?

Wilder has been appointed manager by Boro. Not Head coach..

Dean Smith was Head coach at Villa and Brentford with Sporting Director in place. Dean Smih would be excellent choice to replace Mowbray with when that's happens. But I think he will take a few weeks holiday to recoup and rejuvenate himself 

5 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Who knows? The point is that they are unemployed and we should be sounding guys like this out as they are clearly an improvement on what we have.

Whatever the difference is, does it even matter whether someone is/was a 'head coach' or a 'manager'?

They will want a proper break from football I would guess. 

There is a difference between head coach and manager. 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plus Farke can probably get a Job in the Bundesliga now and isn't he more like a head coach type anyway?.

I thought you favoured the head coach with a DOF model.

Seem to recall you mentioning it once or twice!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Which is?

There are key differences between the roles. A manager has complete control over his staff, transfers and player contracts unless, of course, they’re working under a meddling owner. While a head coach just trains and picks the team, with the owner or director of football taking the pressure off them by dealing with the rest.

Pochettino once explained: “If you are the manager, you decide many things about the club. But if you are a head coach, your responsibility is to play better, try to improve the players and to get positive results.

“At Southampton, I was a manager. My responsibility was not only to coach the team. With Tottenham, I am a head coach.  A head coach is head of your department. My department is to train the team.”

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

There are key differences between the roles. A manager has complete control over his staff, transfers and player contracts unless, of course, they’re working under a meddling owner. While a head coach just trains and picks the team, with the owner or director of football taking the pressure off them by dealing with the rest.

Pochettino once explained: “If you are the manager, you decide many things about the club. But if you are a head coach, your responsibility is to play better, try to improve the players and to get positive results.

“At Southampton, I was a manager. My responsibility was not only to coach the team. With Tottenham, I am a head coach.  A head coach is head of your department. My department is to train the team.”

So what's your point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I agree with you.

You also need to factor in they’ll only deal with certain agencies and the pool of candidates reduces even further.

What a way to run a football club.

Yet we found Mowbray who you apparently seem to rate so highly when we were in a far worse position in the table 

If we're still fishing in the HSH pond I wouldn't mind Mark Robins at all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

One trick pony who’ll be found out just like Warnock, Houghton, McCarthy, we should be aiming higher for next summers replacement.

In fairness the three you mention have had six promotions to the Premier League. In the thirty years of the PL that means that the three are responsible for 20% of the promotions. I accept that they aren't everybody's cup of tea but their records are there to be seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mowbray who you apparently seem to rate so highly.

If that’s the conclusion you’ve come to from reading my posts on Mowbray, I’ll draw you a picture next time.

Its your mates in Pune that are the problem, you don’t want to hear it, they’ll never come good despite your cheerleading. 

• Like 1