BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Scott Wharton Conundrum

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

He's our modern day Andy Todd this lad it was evident yesterday that scum Ched Evans was out to rough him up and wind him up.  He soon realized he was on a loser and after he had some dished back to him turned his attention to Van Hecke instead.

What an absolute whopper he is but he's in good company at Preston.

Some disgraceful Ched Evans chants from PNE yesterday apparently, reported by their own fans who have some decency. Aside from the usual disgusting chants about Jack Walker they scraped the bottom of the barrel with… “Ched Evans, he r**** who he wants…” Along with threatening members of the public. Scum.

13 minutes ago, booth said:

Some disgraceful Ched Evans chants from PNE yesterday apparently, reported by their own fans who have some decency. Aside from the usual disgusting chants about Jack Walker they scraped the bottom of the barrel with… “Ched Evans, he r**** who he wants…” Along with threatening members of the public. Scum.

I saw one of their toegrags looking for it get laid out yesterday and about 4 of them went down as well like skittles.

Just about sums up their hardmen act they're nothing but scrotes, not condoning retaliation but a bit of justice was dished out at least.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I saw one of their toegrags looking for it get laid out yesterday and about 4 of them went down as well like skittles.

It was good to see Preston fans condemn the actions of the idiot minority.

Apparently an elderly woman was threatened. I imagine that's who laid them out.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, booth said:

This lots hoolies are hilarious they are like 12 to 16 years old and arrive in groups large enough to fill a sink estate. They make Bolton look hard.

I'm sure they'll be turning out at the New Den and Middlesborough in similar fashion 🤣

1 hour ago, booth said:

Yeah on their boards is massive condemnation, so fair play.

This back three we have are playing together superbly. Right-footed Lenihan is enjoying the other two alongside him. Van Hecke is great in the middle. Left-footed Wharton plays with so much maturity. His loan spells have done him good. We look so solid now.

I'd keep it this way with Ayala on the bench.

• Like 1

The beauty of having such a good academy (until they sell it off). Thiis lad has obviously benefitted from his loans, came back and look promising, got injured, and now looks better than ever. This guy will be an ever present soon enough. Either when lenihan goes or Ayala retires. Get the kid on a long term contract.

Would also add with Scott - never shuts up, and that’s a great attribute for a Centreback and future potential captain!

What are the chances we will have two lads called Wharton on the team sheet in the near future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

The beauty of having such a good academy (until they sell it off). Thiis lad has obviously benefitted from his loans, came back and look promising, got injured, and now looks better than ever. This guy will be an ever present soon enough. Either when lenihan goes or Ayala retires. Get the kid on a long term contract.

Wharton, Carter and Lenihan cut their teeth, as it were, during loan spells. Wharton's five loan spells (and two League 2 promotion medals and one play off) was, to my mind, excessive, and he had done enough to be called into the fold at Rovers but fortunately, an injury crisis did happen and he got his chance. It's a shame for the current crop of Rovers U23 players that none have had that opportunity to go out on loan to a decent standard this season. It's a missed opportunity, assuming there were League 1/2 clubs after some of the players, which, I'm sure was the case for some.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

Very impressed with Wharton. He looked good before his injury and has come back even better. I like how sturdy our defence has looked in recent games and Wharton has played his part in that.

It's amazing to think that we have Ayala in reserve at the moment. That is a good position to be in defensively.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Just tying to think of the games scott has played in the championship for us.

I have it down as 14 games. 8 wins 5 draws and 1 defeat.

Some record. Keep it up fella . 

I was thinking to myself yesterday that I couldn't remember him ever being on the losing side. I assumed that he probably would've lost a game or two under Coyle when he first got the odd game, but our results when he's played in the last couple of years have been excellent. 

I just hope his bad injury was just a freak one-off & his fitness generally won't be an issue in the future, because he's already looks top class at this level. 

I'm as surprised (but pleased) as anyone that Wharton has become an integral part of our defence, given his seemingly endless loan status and last season's injury. The player I'm most worried about now is Carter, especially if Van Hecke continues to perform and is available on a perm. If Van Hecke is an upgrade, then that's how football should work, but barring injuries, Carter might become our new 'eternal loan'. I like Magloire, but don't think he has a future at Rovers, unfortunately.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dreyski said:

I'm as surprised (but pleased) as anyone that Wharton has become an integral part of our defence, given his seemingly endless loan status and last season's injury. The player I'm most worried about now is Carter, especially if Van Hecke continues to perform and is available on a perm. If Van Hecke is an upgrade, then that's how football should work, but barring injuries, Carter might become our new 'eternal loan'. I like Magloire, but don't think he has a future at Rovers, unfortunately.

I'm not overly concerned about Carter in the long term, but there's no doubt that he needs to play. I can understand why we kept him involved in the first team given where we were at the start of the season, but he's well and truly 5th choice now (arguably 6th if Johnson is considered there when we play 3 at the back).

He has all the raw materials of being a good player for us in the future, and we have the perfect example in Wharton of what a couple of good loan moves can do for development. He should have several L1 teams who will be happy to take him for 6 months after how well he did at Burton last year, so that's a no brainer for us in January.

Sadly I think you're right about Magloire. I think he'll have a perfectly decent professional career if he wants it enough, but he's 23 in a few weeks and he's not really ever looked like taking his chance when he got near the first team. 

11 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm not overly concerned about Carter in the long term, but there's no doubt that he needs to play. I can understand why we kept him involved in the first team given where we were at the start of the season, but he's well and truly 5th choice now (arguably 6th if Johnson is considered there when we play 3 at the back).

He has all the raw materials of being a good player for us in the future, and we have the perfect example in Wharton of what a couple of good loan moves can do for development. He should have several L1 teams who will be happy to take him for 6 months after how well he did at Burton last year, so that's a no brainer for us in January.

Sadly I think you're right about Magloire. I think he'll have a perfectly decent professional career if he wants it enough, but he's 23 in a few weeks and he's not really ever looked like taking his chance when he got near the first team. 

With reference to Carters future. I think that of the center backs on our books, he is 4th choice behind Lenihan, Wharton and Ayala. His problem is that he maywell, be soon overtaken in the pecking order by Ash Phillips.   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rigger said:

With reference to Carters future. I think that of the center backs on our books, he is 4th choice behind Lenihan, Wharton and Ayala. His problem is that he maywell, be soon overtaken in the pecking order by Ash Phillips.   

I hadn't thought about Phillips to be honest with you. The boy's only 16 though, so even if he is exceptional (fingers crossed!) it doesn't seem likely that he'll be considered to be regular for the first XI for a couple of years at least. By which time Carter will be 23 & I'd guess too that Ayala will probably have been phased out by then. I think he'll get a window to show that he's ready, even if we sign Van Hecke permanently. I think he just needs to play as much as he can before then and not stagnate. 

• 1 year later...