BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You have to balance promise and quality for the here and now. Coming into this season, Buckley, Davenport, Chapman, Dolan, Brereton etc all came under the category of promising but in no way proven to play a key role for a team with the aspirations we have this season. 

Well the only way they can prove that they can play role of top 6 is by giving them a chance and by playing them. Cant prove owt if they dont play. No point having good young players if you dont play there

I was reading FourFourTwo's predictions for the season and they've got Rovers to finish 12th.

They said this about Middlesbrough though.....

13. Middlesbrough

Last season’s relegation battle is unlikely to be repeated, now that square pegs are in square holes and their young English contingent has an added year of experience. Aynsley Pears, Boro’s 22-year-old goalkeeper, is one to watch this campaign.

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

Outspending means nothing in the championship. Its getting the recruitment right, not the amount spent. There seems to be a statement of intent from the club on recruiting 2 proven promotion challenging/winning defenders and a midfielder. We already had talent but not a promotion winning mentality. This is obviously what people are basing their expectations on. No team has a devine right to a playoff or automatic spot but to be in the mix certainly has to be the expectation. 

I reckon that having a decent transfer budget gives the club's that have that an advantage over those that dont. We appear to have recruited very well and it could be argued that the manager has played a role in that and deserves some credit. I've seen some posts that suggest that Mowbray now has to deliver a play off spot which disregards other clubs that have brought in players and had the advantage of being able to pay substantial transfer fees.

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally hope that the Pears deal falls through. We do not need to waste money on another keeper, that Greek keeper has top division football,, Europa League experience and 85 apps. Pears has nowhere near that pedigree plus the Greek guy was a golden boy nominee.

I think I'll trust Mowbray's judgement on that one.

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was reading FourFourTwo's predictions for the season and they've got Rovers to finish 12th.

They said this about Middlesbrough though.....

13. Middlesbrough

Last season’s relegation battle is unlikely to be repeated, now that square pegs are in square holes and their young English contingent has an added year of experience. Aynsley Pears, Boro’s 22-year-old goalkeeper, is one to watch this campaign.

One to watch warm up at half time?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, O'Malley said:

How does that tally with numerous other clubs bringing players in and outspending Rovers?

We spent £12million combined on Brereton and Gallagher, spending means the square root of feck all.

27 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally hope that the Pears deal falls through. We do not need to waste money on another keeper, that Greek keeper has top division football,, Europa League experience and 85 apps. Pears has nowhere near that pedigree plus the Greek guy was a golden boy nominee.

Very much seems to me that he's available so they've decided they 'want' him rather than need him. 

Having said that the keeper situ ended up being a farce recently so maybe just a bit of forward thinking to guard against that again.  Nothing wrong with that if the recruits are decent it's just the 'another' boro old boy gives this one an angle.

• Like 1

My Norwich spies say he’s a very solid if ordinary midfield player. They liked him but not unduly bothered as he wasn’t a special player. Seems to me he’s a direct replacement for Travis.

Looking forward to seeing Anna in our local Asda. 

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For those in the know - Douglas or Manning - which is the better deal ?

Style wise i think very similar. Both have a great delivery and are very good going forwards. Both may get caught out defensively. 

One is 31 and somewhat cheaper. One is 24 and a fair bit more expensive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For those in the know - Douglas or Manning - which is the better deal ?

Similar players. Do you go for experience or the future? That's the real question. Personally happy with Douglas, would be happy with Manning too. Douglas great on set pieces too.

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the only way they can prove that they can play role of top 6 is by giving them a chance and by playing them. Cant prove owt if they dont play. No point having good young players if you dont play there

I dont get why it has to be one or the other. For a start, there are 2 wings! Having one proven performer and plenty of promising players around that all fighting for 2 places is surely a good thing?

Not being totally confident in players to regularly perform at top 6 standard who have never done so to date is surely logical. It doesnt mean that they wont play or that they cant assert themselves as first team regulars if they perform. 

Also, why dont you have a problem with Trybull coming in and potentially pushing Buckley and Davenport further away from the first team? Wheres the consistency? Or do you not want him?

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

What is sickening is that Sky Sports haven't put on a massive charade for the actual deadline day.

By sickening, do you not mean refreshing?! All of that palava is crazy and bizarre! Transfer deadline day is turned into a massive charade as you say, reporters stood outside empty stadiums in the pissing down rain, the odious Jim White, and it all ends up covering a series of low profile loan deals and little else.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Trybull is cover for Johnson. It’s a tough role to play as the pivot in a three man midfield.

We then have Trybull, Evans and Buckley covering Johnson, Holtby and Rothwell.

I can see Evans going in Jan when Travis is fit, or for £1m today before being replaced by Downing.

Gutted for Davenport. Obv not trusted to step up. Would ideally need to go out into the bottom of the champ and play 30 games in a midfield three before coming back next season as Johnson’s successor. Hope he’s got it in him.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

We would need someone to step up just like Arma did when Dack got injured. Not so long ago there were Rovers fans who who were unsure if AA could even be counted as a ‘good’ signing when reeling them off...

These young lads just need time. Hopefully Arma holds off any injuries until Dack is back but I genuinely think Gally in the middle of the three in this team might get going. Especially with some good deliveries into the box.

I have never felt that Johnson is best suited to playing in front of the back 4. He is so often caught in possession when trying to play on the half turn, he is not the best technically. His strengths lie for me when he is allowed to go forward as he has this season, he offers a real goal threat and power as shown this season so far.

I think any hopes of someone buying a constantly injured Corry Evans with 1 year left on his deal for 1m is massively optimistic!

I would not be able to expect Gallagher or indeed Brereton to step up in the same way that Armstrong has done should he pick up an injury. I think we are particularly reliant on Armstrong and of course Dack to stay fit for the majority of the season to mount a genuine play off push, which is not necessarily bad because most if not all teams need to keep their star players fit to challenge. In those 2, we have 2 goalscorers that are superior to most in the league, but I also think that the supporting cast are a fairly decent gulf in class away from that, which is why I wanted one more across the sides of the front line.