Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think we will be top 2 at the end of the season.   I'd say thats realistic,  but crack on with your optimism?

I don’t think we will either, but our squad makes us contenders. Not sure Mowbray gets us there over a 46 game season.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

With no Bennett as an option, our back 5 of Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is up there with the best in the league, surely you agree? There's not many that beat it.

No idea, but there are defences out there that cost a lot more. Watford and B'mouth to name two. I think the big difference so far this season is the style of football. I said after the 1st friendly we'd gone to a L/pool style, high pressing and a lot more 'front foot'. I think that will make more of a difference than personnel. I'm positive about our chances for the season based more on our change of style than the players being brought in. 

I'm not sure we're good enough for top 2, and i don't think the squad has the depth of quality some other  teams have. Very open league though so you never know. Here's hoping. ?

We need to be targeting top 2 as a club and squad. Absolutely pointless aiming to challenge for the top 6. Even if successful it guarantees nothing.

If the manager doesn't have his eyes on top 2 and is happy with top half competing with half the division for 4 play off positions then that isnt enough.

IF we get these players in it seems to have been a good window. Mowbray can have no complaints at all and it reiterates to me that he actually has one of or even the best job in the Championship with the freedom and backing he gets here. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We need to be targeting top 2 as a club and squad. Absolutely pointless aiming to challenge for the top 6. Even if successful it guarantees nothing.

If the manager doesn't have his eyes on top 2 and is happy with top half competing with half the division for 4 play off positions then that isnt enough.

IF we get these players in it seems to have been a good window. Mowbray can have no complaints at all and it reiterates to me that he actually has one of or even the best job in the Championship with the freedom and backing he gets here. 

How does that tally with numerous other clubs bringing players in and outspending Rovers?

Edited by O'Malley
15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think we will be top 2 at the end of the season.   I'd say thats realistic,  but crack on with your optimism?

I think we have a decent chance having seen the other teams albeit at this very early stage of the season.

12 minutes ago, O'Malley said:

I'm delighted with this window but talk of 'top 6 of else'  is not realistic. There are numerous clubs that have had productive windows and outspent us. Despite our pre Venkys pedigree we have no devine right to a play off spot.

Outspending means nothing in the championship. Its getting the recruitment right, not the amount spent. There seems to be a statement of intent from the club on recruiting 2 proven promotion challenging/winning defenders and a midfielder. We already had talent but not a promotion winning mentality. This is obviously what people are basing their expectations on. No team has a devine right to a playoff or automatic spot but to be in the mix certainly has to be the expectation. 

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You have to balance promise and quality for the here and now. Coming into this season, Buckley, Davenport, Chapman, Dolan, Brereton etc all came under the category of promising but in no way proven to play a key role for a team with the aspirations we have this season. 

Well the only way they can prove that they can play role of top 6 is by giving them a chance and by playing them. Cant prove owt if they dont play. No point having good young players if you dont play there

I was reading FourFourTwo's predictions for the season and they've got Rovers to finish 12th.

They said this about Middlesbrough though.....

13. Middlesbrough

Last season’s relegation battle is unlikely to be repeated, now that square pegs are in square holes and their young English contingent has an added year of experience. Aynsley Pears, Boro’s 22-year-old goalkeeper, is one to watch this campaign.

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

Outspending means nothing in the championship. Its getting the recruitment right, not the amount spent. There seems to be a statement of intent from the club on recruiting 2 proven promotion challenging/winning defenders and a midfielder. We already had talent but not a promotion winning mentality. This is obviously what people are basing their expectations on. No team has a devine right to a playoff or automatic spot but to be in the mix certainly has to be the expectation. 

I reckon that having a decent transfer budget gives the club's that have that an advantage over those that dont. We appear to have recruited very well and it could be argued that the manager has played a role in that and deserves some credit. I've seen some posts that suggest that Mowbray now has to deliver a play off spot which disregards other clubs that have brought in players and had the advantage of being able to pay substantial transfer fees.

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally hope that the Pears deal falls through. We do not need to waste money on another keeper, that Greek keeper has top division football,, Europa League experience and 85 apps. Pears has nowhere near that pedigree plus the Greek guy was a golden boy nominee.

I think I'll trust Mowbray's judgement on that one.

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was reading FourFourTwo's predictions for the season and they've got Rovers to finish 12th.

They said this about Middlesbrough though.....

13. Middlesbrough

Last season’s relegation battle is unlikely to be repeated, now that square pegs are in square holes and their young English contingent has an added year of experience. Aynsley Pears, Boro’s 22-year-old goalkeeper, is one to watch this campaign.

One to watch warm up at half time?

27 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally hope that the Pears deal falls through. We do not need to waste money on another keeper, that Greek keeper has top division football,, Europa League experience and 85 apps. Pears has nowhere near that pedigree plus the Greek guy was a golden boy nominee.

Very much seems to me that he's available so they've decided they 'want' him rather than need him. 

Having said that the keeper situ ended up being a farce recently so maybe just a bit of forward thinking to guard against that again.  Nothing wrong with that if the recruits are decent it's just the 'another' boro old boy gives this one an angle.

My Norwich spies say he’s a very solid if ordinary midfield player. They liked him but not unduly bothered as he wasn’t a special player. Seems to me he’s a direct replacement for Travis.

Looking forward to seeing Anna in our local Asda.