BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Contract Situation

2 hours ago, Gumbi said:

I think the reason why Rothwell hasn't signed a new contract is because he hasn't even been offered one. Going by Mowbray's comments in the Football League Paper, he doesn't think he's that good.

20211025_074026.jpg

Just when you think Mowbray can't sound any more ridiculous....he outdoes himself. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Seems a bit of a cheap dig by Mowbray as he feels Rothwell not signing is embarrassing him. That said obviously Mowbray doesn't rate Rothwell as highly as he should be, and that is weird. Same with Nyambe.

Exactly! Why does he always go for the ones we like?!!

It'll be Dolan's turn next!

• Like 1

The bit of skill inside the area that Rothwell does before the Gallagher goal is absolutely wonderful - I've watched it time and time again. If that goes in rather than hitting the post - it's a goal of the season contender.

Rochina is the only player I've seen at Rovers in the last 10 years capable of that. Prior to that I think it would only be a Duff or Bohinen that would be capable of it*

*Since I've been watching football (90's onwards)

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, 47er said:

Exactly! Why does he always go for the ones we like?!!

It'll be Dolan's turn next!

Some fan favourites he does share the love for - eg. Dack, Lenihan. Also he stuck with Brereton when many wrote him off (me included) and was proven right..

Maybe his assessment is Rothwell and Nyambe need a "treat em mean keep em keen" type of man management. But seeing as they haven't signed if this is the philosophy it hasn't really worked.

3 hours ago, Gumbi said:

I think the reason why Rothwell hasn't signed a new contract is because he hasn't even been offered one. Going by Mowbray's comments in the Football League Paper, he doesn't think he's that good.

20211025_074026.jpg

Yes he made the same comments to BBC Lancashire post match. Mowbray was being honest and People will look at the negative comment instead of the final comment where he says "But he's trying hard to improve, he's getting better and with the ball he can be a sensation at times - as you saw today"

• Backroom

The manager has form for being a dick in public to players who aren't his favourites, especially when it looks like they're leaving the club. It's a wonder any of the players outside of the inner circle show the slightest loyalty to him as he has form for throwing players under the bus, whilst never taking so much as a shred of responsibility on his own shoulders. Not the kind of leader I'd want.

How is Rothwell still a 'young lad' learning his trade? He's 27 in January ffs. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Also he stuck with Brereton when many wrote him off (me included) and was proven right..

Didn't have much of a choice considering what he paid for him tbf. Same with Gallagher - not sticking with them would have been a pretty horrendous look for Mowbray. 

Whilst at the game a mate watching at home in the first half text me and said '

'Rothwell is too deep. Surely when you have a player like that in a home game you want to get him running at the box in the final 3rd'

Couldn't argue with that then the min he gets himself in the box we get a goal. Rocket science again.

As for the contract situ they've just fooked it up again it should have been tied up far earlier. Then when the likes of Rangers come sniffing around they either can't poach them or have to pay a fee.

At the time it should have been sorted, probably 12 months ago, Mowbray was busy calling him out instead of into his CEO's office.  Now with the money he'll get elsewhere in the form of a signing on fee we are probably out of the running.

Now i ask again with perfect justification what the situation would've been if this guy was from Middlesbro !!!

I am baffled by the ease with which they have managed to get so many people to just accept that the Club is working hard to secure them, has been engaged in lengthy contract negotiations with these players but is just unable to meet their demands. The suggestion being that those demands are excessive or unreasonable.

I don't believe this is the case. I'm not sure there are any active negotiations or that these have taken place in recent months.

Venky taps are off. The only funds left to play with are those Maggott can squeeze out of the clubs income and that isn't very much. This is why the couple-of-grand a week jobs like JRC and Wharton can get sorted but not the 5-10 grand a week Rothwell and Nyambe ones.

This is also why the club was unable to conduct any proper transfer business in the summer, as the only funds to play with in the transfer market were those the club could raise on its own steam (and that didn't extend to the Armstrong cash which went into the Venky black hole)

So instead we wait all summer to borrow kids whose parent clubs were more than happy to send here for nothing or next to nothing to get them fit and playing regular football. That's why we waited all summer and got them done despite fitness issues because they were so cheap they were the only options we had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes he made the same comments to BBC Lancashire post match. Mowbray was being honest and People will look at the negative comment instead of the final comment where he says "But he's trying hard to improve, he's getting better and with the ball he can be a sensation at times - as you saw today"

Regardless of the final line, Joe Rothwell wakes up to read that we have to put an extra body in midfield if we play him because he isn't that good.

I listened to the interview live on Radio Lancs @roversfan99 and whinged about it to my mate straight away. He also criticises hi first half showing. You dont get players to sign new contracts by criticising half of their performance publicly when they won you the match, and then by stating that playing him give you a problem as you have to play an extra man in midfield because he's not good enough. It all points to Mowbray excusing why he's not bothered about losing Rothwell when he's out of contract.

Later on in the interview he states that on Saturday "if he's honest" Reading may have had better individuals and technical players in the game. Who put in a better individual performance or technical performance than Dolan and Rothwell in that game? It is said just to keep that whole "aren't we doing well to compete" smoke screen up.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Regardless of the final line, Joe Rothwell wakes up to read that we have to put an extra body in midfield if we play him because he isn't that good.

I listened to the interview live on Radio Lancs @roversfan99 and whinged about it to my mate straight away. He also criticises hi first half showing. You dont get players to sign new contracts by criticising half of their performance publicly when they won you the match, and then by stating that playing him give you a problem as you have to play an extra man in midfield because he's not good enough. It all points to Mowbray excusing why he's not bothered about losing Rothwell when he's out of contract.

Later on in the interview he states that on Saturday "if he's honest" Reading may have had better individuals and technical players in the game. Who put in a better individual performance or technical performance than Dolan and Rothwell in that game? It is said just to keep that whole "aren't we doing well to compete" smoke screen up.

I have to think, why does Mowbray keep picking Rothwell if he is not that good and forces him to play 3 in midfield ?

38 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The bloke (Mowbray) is a disgrace.

Knows Rothwell won't sign for him therefore is trying to stick the boot in and make out Rothwell isn't that good anyway before he (Mowbray) departs the Club as well.

If you were being offered the same or similar money here as elsewhere why would any player worth his salt want to sign for Mowbray?

If he is allowed to see his contract out that decision will cost us dearly regardless of our final finishing position this season.

39 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Do you honest think Mowbray isn't talking to Rothwell about his centre midfielder role and whats he needs to improve and get better game by game. of course they are talking and being honest about it

1 hour ago, DE. said:

How is Rothwell still a 'young lad' learning his trade? He's 27 in January ffs. 

He was right winger at Man Utd during his youth days there but he isn't a midfielder by trade by almost re-learning his trade as centre midfielder and over the last 18 months he has improve and got much better positional and tactically

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I am baffled by the ease with which they have managed to get so many people to just accept that the Club is working hard to secure them, has been engaged in lengthy contract negotiations with these players but is just unable to meet their demands. The suggestion being that those demands are excessive or unreasonable.

I don't believe this is the case. I'm not sure there are any active negotiations or that these have taken place in recent months.

Rovers have had many conservations with these players and their agents over them signing new contracts and it appears that they aren't. Maybe people know more than you. They were few people around me in the Blackburn End saying that they had heard that Rothwell is off to Rangers and he will sign a pre contract with them. 

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is also why the club was unable to conduct any proper transfer business in the summer, as the only funds to play with in the transfer market were those the club could raise on its own steam (and that didn't extend to the Armstrong cash which went into the Venky black hole)

So instead we wait all summer to borrow kids whose parent clubs were more than happy to send here for nothing or next to nothing to get them fit and playing regular football. That's why we waited all summer and got them done despite fitness issues because they were so cheap they were the only options we had.

And now we have to go back over old ground and repeat the same debate/argument every week cos you refuse to accept that FFP prevent the club spending money and you refusal to accept that FFP rules are in place and we have to work within them. Plus maybe you realise that Football clubs at Championship level are having financial reset. Just at your link yesterday about Cardiff. . So why won't you accept that Rovers were well over the 39 million pounds threshold you are allow over 3 seasons. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Venky taps are off. The only funds left to play with are those Maggott can squeeze out of the clubs income and that isn't very much. This is why the couple-of-grand a week jobs like JRC and Wharton can get sorted but not the 5-10 grand a week Rothwell and Nyambe ones.

Don't be fooled by the forked tongue comments of Mowbray and Waggott. They now seem to be insinuating that the contract situation is the owners' fault because there's a wage cap in place. I'm sure that's news to the likes of Ayala and Gallagher

Mowbray essentially admitted the contract problem was of his own making because he didn't want to offer the players in question improved deals in the midst of a pandemic and potentially upset the rest of the squad.

Well boo hoo, better players earn more than ones that aren't as good. It's the manager's job to look after the interests and future of the Club by securing it's major assets, not worrying about pandering to and upsetting the feelings of the less important players who if they didn't like it should have been told they were welcome to look elsewhere.

I suspect Waggott and Mowbray have now been instructed to sort the contracts out to avoid tens of millions of pounds of talent walking out of the door for nothing but that the stable door has already firmly bolted and Waggott and Mowbray have damaged the relationships with said players beyond repair.

As for your final paragraph, £10k p.w. (if that's correct) for Poveda to sit on the bench is hardly "nothing" or "next to nothing" is it? Hundreds of thousands of pounds  more wasted that could have gone towards improved contract offers.

And, the money was there to bring in Obafemi or Maja had they wanted to come or not failed a medical respectively.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you honest think Mowbray isn't talking to Rothwell about his centre midfielder role and whats he needs to improve and get better game by game. of course they are talking and being honest about it

It's one thing Mowbray talking and coaching players behind the scenes in order to improve them. That's his job, after all.

It's something completely different to then criticise them in public.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have had many conservations with these players and their agents over them signing new contracts and it appears that they aren't. Maybe people know more than you. They were few people around me in the Blackburn End saying that they had heard that Rothwell is off to Rangers and he will sign a pre contract with them. 

And now we have to go back over old ground and repeat the same debate/argument every week cos you refuse to accept that FFP prevent the club spending money and you refusal to accept that FFP rules are in place and we have to work within them. Plus maybe you realise that Football clubs at Championship level are having financial reset. Just at your link yesterday about Cardiff. . So why won't you accept that Rovers were well over the 39 million pounds threshold you are allow over 3 seasons. 

How do you know this? Do you know the players or their agents?

Or are you relying on what Maggott and  Mowbray have been saying?

Maybe Rothwell will go to Rangers, maybe he won't. Not sure what that has to do with what I am saying. Of course if we can't be bothered getting his contract sorted or have mucked him around then he will look elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wheelton Blue said:

It's one thing Mowbray talking and coaching players behind the scenes in order to improve them. That's his job, after all.

Rothwell's not without one or two flaws but if he was absolutely perfect , he wouldn't be at Blackburn Rovers at this precise point in time.

Any other manager would be saying something like "Joe has qualities that no other player at the Club can bring us therefore we're really keen to persuade him to commit his future to us".

But no, he knows he's completely messed up the contract situation so it's a face/arse covering exercise "I never rated him that much anyway".

Which may actually be true as he seems incapable of leaving him on the pitch for 90 mins whereas I think he'd leave Gallagher on if he was missing a limb.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I don't see it criticise either but saying that he is improving game by game. 

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How do you know this? Do you know the players or their agents?

Or are you relying on what Maggott and  Mowbray have been saying?

Maybe Rothwell will go to Rangers, maybe he won't. Not sure what that has to do with what I am saying. Of course if we can't be bothered getting his contract sorted or have mucked him around then he will look elsewhere.

Mowbray and Waggott have both told the local media thats the players have been offered new improve contracts. If this was untrue then I am sure the players and their agents would find a way to leak it thats these claims were false. Plenty of media outlets out there to leak it. 

If you wish to go down this road of not believing them then thats down to you JH. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I told one of our staff today that she needs to make more notes in meetings as she forgets some of the things she has to do. I didn't post it on our social media accounts though.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

To be fair, Mowbray has also regularly praise his talent throughout his time here. He said a few times that he has the individual talent to match anyone in the division with one specific comparison to Benrahma. Every week he mentions how good he is to watch taking players on.

I very much doubt that Rothwell has picked up that article this morning, taken that quote which is out of context and got angry. No doubt they regularly speak in general, Mowbray has also regularly said that Rothwell needs to do more, score more and create more which is right. He is right that he needs to improve off the ball, he also mentioned that he has not really played in the position he has been as much and playing a third man in there actually is trying to help him with that weakness. To suggest that he has said that Rothwell isnt very good is beyond out of context.

I totally understand that people are fed up with Mowbray still being here, I am too but I find this recent habit of people critically analysing every word of every press conference often out of context to be unfair.