BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

5 minutes ago, @roverseas said:

Homecoming for Pears, Ayala, Chapman (now at Shrewsbury) and the gaffa! Live in front of the cameras... I imagine a couple of things... 0-0 draw or a stonking defeat!

Hoping for a win... but can not see it at the moment!

Reckon they’d notice if we left the lot of them there?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong, Elliott, Brereton, Rothwell. 

Dack played in a 3 man midfield at Gillingham team  so saying his natural position has as 10 is just plain wrom

Yes Armstrong scored so many as The main striker but he was Rovers main man and played as main striker but their goals came in 4-3-3

If all of these players suit 433 and changing would potentially scupper this effectiveness, then why the bloody hell has changing to 433 not improved our results and indeed led to some rancid form and performances?!

And regarding Dack, I couldnt give a shiny shite where he played at Gillingham. What I do know is for a year at League 1 level and for 18 months at Championship level, he was our best player playing as a number 10. On the rare occasions that he had to drop deep, it tended to be out of frustration and took him away from goalscoring positions.

Theres nothing to suggest that Armstrong and Elliott's effectiveness is down to specifically playing in a 4-3-3. Armstrong's main improvement has come because he is no longer sidelined out wide. Elliott has not played enough senior football to suggest that he has a favoured formation. Mowbray should be looking at things and how he can change it with consistency, as it is he keeps half arsing a 4-3-3, changing to this over complicated box, maybe throws in a false 9 every now and again and half the time, no one looks like they know what they are doing.

In theory, Dack playing off Armstrong, with Elliott right, and Brereton (or even Rothwell) left could work, and the main 3 attackers at our disposal, Armstrong, Dack and Elliott are all in their best positions.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You could play four defensive midfielders if you like  but if none of them get over the half way line you'll always concede eventually because the ball will be in your half most of the time.

I never implied that they have to sit in all the time, my choice would probably be Travis and Davenport, both of whom get about the pitch. 

That being said, all of the experienced managers that we correctly look at with a hint of envy would look to stabilise and build from sound foundations. 

• Like 1

I think Brereton definitely benefits from the change to a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-2-3-1. He’s gone from looking like a joke to a competent footballer. Still needs to contribute more though.

All Mowbray’s talk of a slow build and a journey... We’ve signed Dack up for another 2 and a half years, Elliott will be gone in a couple of months. On Elliott, bags of ability, but I’m not sure his performances have always been as impressive as some would have us believe. He’s certainly not been effective enough to push us towards playoff contention, so I’d rather give Dolan game time.

Ultimately, I don’t think a change as subtle as the one in formation is going to be enough to help us even get near our target for the season. Bigger change needed.

This could well be the start of a three game purple patch... usually happens when the majority of fans start questioning the manager. Plus it’s his cup final. 

2-1 Rovers

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think Brereton definitely benefits from the change to a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-2-3-1. He’s gone from looking like a joke to a competent footballer. Still needs to contribute more though.

All Mowbray’s talk of a slow build and a journey... We’ve signed Dack up for another 2 and a half years, Elliott will be gone in a couple of months. On Elliott, bags of ability, but I’m not sure his performances have always been as impressive as some would have us believe. He’s certainly not been effective enough to push us towards playoff contention, so I’d rather give Dolan game time.

Ultimately, I don’t think a change as subtle as the one in formation is going to be enough to help us even get near our target for the season. Bigger change needed.

This could well be the start of a three game purple patch... usually happens when the majority of fans start questioning the manager. Plus it’s his cup final. 

2-1 Rovers

You are right in regards to the change in Brereton, even now he is inconsistent and often ineffective even if he has massively changed from the joke he was prior to this season.

Im not convinced however that it is specifically the formation that has brought the improvement in Brereton, there is no reason that with Armstrong central, Dack behind and Elliott wide right, that Brereton couldnt still play from the left effectively.

I would also question how I am being told that so many are suited to the 433, and we have played it this season yet not improved.

If it came to it and assuming that we suggest that Brereton is best suited to 433 which as mentioned I dont think is as straight forward. I would want to build a team to suit Dack more than Brereton as the former is far better, far more consistent and far more effective, but his position doesnt exist in a 433. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If all of these players suit 433 and changing would potentially scupper this effectiveness, then why the bloody hell has changing to 433 not improved our results and indeed led to some rancid form and performances?!

And regarding Dack, I couldnt give a shiny shite where he played at Gillingham. What I do know is for a year at League 1 level and for 18 months at Championship level, he was our best player playing as a number 10. On the rare occasions that he had to drop deep, it tended to be out of frustration and took him away from goalscoring positions.

Theres nothing to suggest that Armstrong and Elliott's effectiveness is down to specifically playing in a 4-3-3. Armstrong's main improvement has come because he is no longer sidelined out wide. Elliott has not played enough senior football to suggest that he has a favoured formation. Mowbray should be looking at things and how he can change it with consistency, as it is he keeps half arsing a 4-3-3, changing to this over complicated box, maybe throws in a false 9 every now and again and half the time, no one looks like they know what they are doing.

In theory, Dack playing off Armstrong, with Elliott right, and Brereton (or even Rothwell) left could work, and the main 3 attackers at our disposal, Armstrong, Dack and Elliott are all in their best positions.

how often has Elliott, Brereton and Armstrong played together this season? 

You don't care about Dack deeper role at Gillingham cos it doesn;t suit your argument 

on Elliott and a favourite formation? Look at how Liverpool play in their youth levels, same formation as the 1st team. 

I havent mention this false 9 thing so unsure why you have? 

Armstrong's main improvement has come cos he is playing his preferred role as striker and he has been the main man and the team has been set up for him. 

at the minute Dack isn't fit enuogh to be starting games and I think we are too rely on him. I would be taking more time with him and give him game time from the bench for next few games. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

how often has Elliott, Brereton and Armstrong played together this season? 

You don't care about Dack deeper role at Gillingham cos it doesn;t suit your argument 

on Elliott and a favourite formation? Look at how Liverpool play in their youth levels, same formation as the 1st team. 

I havent mention this false 9 thing so unsure why you have? 

Armstrong's main improvement has come cos he is playing his preferred role as striker and he has been the main man and the team has been set up for him. 

at the minute Dack isn't fit enuogh to be starting games and I think we are too rely on him. I would be taking more time with him and give him game time from the bench for next few games. 

He isnt going to regain full match fitness until he starts a couple of games in the senior team. You have spent the majority of his absence disregarding his return, underplaying his importance to us, repeatedly suggesting that he should be sold and implying that he will never return the same player. We cant be sure on the latter (although there is no reason yet to suggest that he wont) but he has signed a new long term deal and lets get bloody excited at his return, he has been our best player (all as a number 10) from signing here until his injury, our season has shown no improvement, our form and performances for months now have been shite, lets get excited, get him (and Travis) fit and hope that he can be a catalyst to resurrect a season that is already crashing into further mediocrity. 

Ultimately, has the 433 improved us as a team considering that so many players are apparently thriving (Armstrong, Elliott, Brereton and Rothwell) in it? No it hasnt, so there is very reasonable and serious questions over whether and why it should continue. I cannot fathom why people are so desperate to keep that formation above everything else when it hasnt improved us.

If Dack comes back in, Armstrong can still remain as the striker. All that Dack's return will mean is that defences have a second serious threat to contend with, and that we have a player who has far more imagination and ultimately consistent end product compared to the other players we have had in midfield this season. My scenario fits in our joint best player (out on his own until Armstrong has scored so many in the last year) and it should be of utmost priority to get them both in their best positions. My system does that. Fuck the 433 which has not facilitated an improvement.

And Dack's best 30 months in football have come in a Rovers shirt. He may have impressed in a Gillingham shirt, where I am sure you was a regular watcher week in week out, but his career took a step up when he came here. He was instrumental in a League 1 promotion, and then consistently scoring and assisting in the Championship, all more than he did in a Gillingham shirt, and all as a number 10. I think it is safe to say that he is a natural there.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He isnt going to regain full match fitness until he starts a couple of games in the senior team. You have spent the majority of his absence disregarding his return, underplaying his importance to us, repeatedly suggesting that he should be sold and implying that he will never return the same player. We cant be sure on the latter (although there is no reason yet to suggest that he wont) but he has signed a new long term deal and lets get bloody excited at his return,

The couple of games he started he has shown he isn't ready to start sadly. 

After such a serious injury I wrote off his impact for this season. He will a massive time to get back physical but more mentally. I'm not expect much from him this season. 

Yes He did signed a new contract here and I'm happy he did. He enjoys living in Manchester but I not getting excited at his return until he is back properly. Plus also hard to get excite about it until we back into stadiums live watching football normally. 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately, has the 433 improved us as a team considering that so many players are apparently thriving (Armstrong, Elliott, Brereton and Rothwell) in it?

How many games have Elliott, Armstrong and Brereton started together and what was the results in them?

Rothwell has said central in 4-3-3 is favour position and where he wants to play. 

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And Dack's best 30 months in football have come in a Rovers shirt. He may have impressed in a Gillingham shirt, where I am sure you was a regular watcher week in week out,

Credit to Mowbray and his staff for playing him there. 

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He isnt going to regain full match fitness until he starts a couple of games in the senior team. You have spent the majority of his absence disregarding his return, underplaying his importance to us, repeatedly suggesting that he should be sold and implying that he will never return the same player. We cant be sure on the latter (although there is no reason yet to suggest that he wont) but he has signed a new long term deal and lets get bloody excited at his return, he has been our best player (all as a number 10) from signing here until his injury, our season has shown no improvement, our form and performances for months now have been shite, lets get excited, get him (and Travis) fit and hope that he can be a catalyst to resurrect a season that is already crashing into further mediocrity. 

Ultimately, has the 433 improved us as a team considering that so many players are apparently thriving (Armstrong, Elliott, Brereton and Rothwell) in it? No it hasnt, so there is very reasonable and serious questions over whether and why it should continue. I cannot fathom why people are so desperate to keep that formation above everything else when it hasnt improved us.

If Dack comes back in, Armstrong can still remain as the striker. All that Dack's return will mean is that defences have a second serious threat to contend with, and that we have a player who has far more imagination and ultimately consistent end product compared to the other players we have had in midfield this season. My scenario fits in our joint best player (out on his own until Armstrong has scored so many in the last year) and it should be of utmost priority to get them both in their best positions. My system does that. Fuck the 433 which has not facilitated an improvement.

And Dack's best 30 months in football have come in a Rovers shirt. He may have impressed in a Gillingham shirt, where I am sure you was a regular watcher week in week out, but his career took a step up when he came here. He was instrumental in a League 1 promotion, and then consistently scoring and assisting in the Championship, all more than he did in a Gillingham shirt, and all as a number 10. I think it is safe to say that he is a natural there.

Roversfan99 for manager 🙂

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Agree with the team selections.

Points of contention

Firstly, it wouldn’t matter how bad Douglas was he can’t be as bad as Bell.

Secondly, Dack can play in a midfield 3 but not with Holtby. So it’s one of the other for me.

Bell's been much better than Douglas this season imo but having signed Douglas Moggasaurus probably feels compelled to play him rather than send him back (which he should have done) or leave him out which would be an admission that he's dropped yet another massive bollock.

5 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Does anyone think a thrashing in front of the TV cameras would put Tony on notice? 

I'll get a slating no doubt for saying "We can but hope".

What I mean is, I'd rather we won, but if we're to lose anyway a thumping might concentrate the owners minds on our actual situation as opposed to a narrow defeat which might enable Mowbray to muddy the waters by spainting yet another hard luck story. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Does anyone think a thrashing in front of the TV cameras would put Tony on notice? 

judging by his simpering podcast/interview he`s deffo under pressure and losing badly today would put him in on the way to a p45,however,in the past when we`ve been on a bad run,he`s always pulled himself out of the **** by getting a couple of decent results,i think we`ll win the today,leaving tony in clover,proclaiming some **** about reaching the play offs

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Doubt it. He’s sold this journey crap to the owners and ceo. I don’t recall him ever saying where the final destination of this journey is or how long he thinks it’ll take. Just meaningless sound bites designed to prevent the axe from falling on him long enough him to retire to Yarm an exceedingly wealthy man. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

For the rest of the season it’s merely an exercise in who Mowbray can blame. Injuries, the players, the pitch, the officials, the opposition's budget, the opposition’s tactics, no fans, fan expectations, covid. Must be more. 

Come on venkys please wake up don’t leave it to late like Coyle

7 minutes ago, matt83 said:

For the rest of the season it’s merely an exercise in who Mowbray can blame. Injuries, the players, the pitch, the officials, the opposition's budget, the opposition’s tactics, no fans, fan expectations, covid. Must be more. 

Not enough space in the Analyst room for all the players to review Plan A and Plan B.

Oh hang on - is there a Plan B other than throwing loads of subs on to play where they think they should?

• Like 1