BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get how the price can be affected by a potential Obafemi deal as Mowbray isnt even sure if he is interested and whether a deal will be agreed with him. Plus if Armstrong is at a favourable rate, what stops Southampton cancelling the deal?

I'd imagine there will be things in place that stops them just cancelling the deal I mean if thats the case whats to stop them just not sending us the payments when they are due.

1 minute ago, Beanie01289 said:

I'd imagine there will be things in place that stops them just cancelling the deal I mean if thats the case whats to stop them just not sending us the payments when they are due.

The payment plan will surely be part of the contract whereas if there is a gentlemans agreement to knock a few million off both fees to reduce any sell on, that couldnt be a legal obligation otherwise surely it would cause issues with blatantly window dressing the fee to avoid paying as much to Newcastle.

36 minutes ago, BRFC_Polky said:

I sincerely hope that it isn't true. Paying £6m would be a huge gamble. We grossly overpaid for Brereton and Gallagher but the club doesn't seem to learn from its past mistakes. In the past a player like Obafemi with multiple issues hanging over him would be a free transfer. Saints want Armstrong badly - for once the cards are in our favour and we should play it tough.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

This could be part of the Armstrong sweetener ie. Saints pay up his contract so he can accept lower salary at Rovers ?

You would imagine that would be a part of it. Probably supplementing his salary over his contract. 

• Backroom

Genuinely excited (not visually) at the prospect of Obafemi signing

If what @Saints Fan is saying about high press being a strong point then he could be ideal for us in the middle 

It’s the kind of gamble I’d be jealous of similar clubs making rather than waiting on what loans we could land 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I sincerely hope that it isn't true. Paying £6m would be a huge gamble. We grossly overpaid for Brereton and Gallagher but the club doesn't seem to learn from its past mistakes. In the past a player like Obafemi with multiple issues hanging over him would be a free transfer. Saints want Armstrong badly - for once the cards are in our favour and we should play it tough.  

Very certain we are not paying 6 million for him. 

My guess based on all noises and reports is:

Soton is paying 15 mill + Obafemi (reported valued at 6 mill). 

If Obafemi doesn't come, Soton will have to pay extra (would guess that is more likely to be 2-3 mill)

Regarding wages, I think a sign-on fee can be used to offsett Obafemi's current wages.

I'll also add that of Obafemi has scored 4 goals in 9 starts. He has played 32 games, but 23 have been as a sub. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, briansol said:

If Obafemi doesn't come, Soton will have to pay extra (would guess that is more likely to be 2-3 mill)

Regarding wages, I think a sign-on fee can be used to offsett Obafemi's current wages.

I'll also add that of Obafemi has scored 4 goals in 9 starts. He has played 32 games, but 23 have been as a sub. 

I think Nixon is right on this one. 

image.png.d07caf0a8fa9fc9dc3a00c22b6cbf311.png

• Like 1

Looks good on video, but so do I if you just catch my best bits. Amount of times I nutmegged the fabulous Dave from the local, and buried it in the far corner after a deflection off my other mates nans nickers that somehow fell onto the pitch. I love his nans nickers!

Still, looks decent and a potential replacement.

£6m on Obafemi just isn't value for money when you realise he's out of contract in the summer... He's going to be 4th choice at Saints. For me, we should make do with what we have until January and find something then. Probably get Obafemi at a third of that price with 5/6 months left on his deal.

6 minutes ago, briansol said:

If that's the case then Armstrong can't put pen to paper until the Obafemi situation is resolved.Southampton will want Armstrong for the weekend so we shouldn't be waiting long to find out if Obafemi is coming here or not 

No better advert for BRFCS in “transfer mode” than me right now.

This afternoon I was quietly commenting that there were question marks around Obafemi’s professionalism.

I’ve read this thread today, watched one YouTube video and am now beginning to think £7m to kill the other interest is necessary.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

£6m on Obafemi just isn't value for money when you realise he's out of contract in the summer... He's going to be 4th choice at Saints. For me, we should make do with what we have until January and find something then. Probably get Obafemi at a third of that price with 5/6 months left on his deal.

if what Phil is saying is correct, it seems that if Obafemi doesn't come, that's 3 mill more from them, so would assume thats the valuation of the player. 18 mil - not what we all hoped, but its better than 15.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Without Armstrong we have nowhere near enough goals to sustain us and January is not a good time to do business. We need a permanent striker now whether its Obafemi or someone else.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That would make no sense. Getting Obafemi at a knock down price is a no brainer. We need a striker in and he would suit our style. If he starts scoring regularly,happy days. If we don't sign him , someone else will. 

If Mowbray is given £3 million to invest otherwise, I don't think he will get someone as good. 

• Like 1

A lot of negative guesses from the usual doom merchants in here. Let's see how the deal is structured before passing judgement, eh? Rovers were playing hardball with the fee and have managed to get teams bidding a substantial amount for an unproven player at the highest level with 12 months left of his contract. We need a direct replacement and Ewood should be an attractive proposition for Obafemi considering how Armstrong has matured his game under Mowbray. 

How they value Obafemi in this transaction is also to avoid leaving Newcastle with too much of the pie, so it doesn't matter if it's £3m or £6m as long as he ends up wearing the blue & white shirt in a few days. 

• Like 8