BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, bazza said:

Wasn't that Tommy Lawrence of Liverpool?

Hmmm? You might be right there Bazza. Wonder why I had that in my mind - wonder if Barton was called that too? My memory isn’t what it was.

You seem to be doing alright.

So obafemi in on a permanent- for me a good move but some obviously debating that. My money is that if he does sign mowbray will play him out wide because you know mowbray. 

Reda Khadra on loan from Brighton. Cover out wide.

Any additional money from the armstrong sale that isn't going to newcastle or to cover the debts should then be put towards securing the futures of Kaminski, Lenihan, Brereton, Nyambe, Rothwell (my guess is the later two won't sign a new deal anyway).

Then what else do we need?

Looks like the plan is to get premier league youngsters on loan. Hate this plan for a few reasons (problem next season when they go, blocking our own lads development to develop someone else's talent) but it is what it is. One I wouldn't mind too much would be Clarkson from Liverpool simply because he's a rover.

Centre Half. Weve got magloire, carter, and in a couple of months Wharton. Really we should use this to see how good they are. But a centre half in as cover makes sense because at of our current 5 options are either injured, injury prone or unproven.

Cover for either fullback? Or give gametime to cirino and Pike if needs be. Hope JRC stays fit and use him to cover both.

Another option in centre mid? Possibly Clarkson or Doyle from city going by the links in the media.

Do we need another striker/attacking option or should we rely on the unproven and injury prone Chapman and Butterworth?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He signed at the start of the 1966-67 post relegation season from Preston replacing Fred Else. We spent the Mike England money on Barton, Barry Hole and Alan Gilliver. 

1966-67 season  he played in all 46 games league and cup.

1967-68 season he played 33 games sharing the job with Adam Blacklaw.

1968-69 season he played 3 games with Adam Blacklaw the No 1 keeper playing the rest.

1969-70 season he played he played 9 games with Adam Blacklaw playing 32. We’d signed Roger Jones later on in that season and Barton was released.

I didn’t realise he played so many games.

He was short and stocky, and I’m being kind when I say stocky. He looked like he was a test pilot for “ Holland’s “.

Just seen this.....  Memories from more than 50 years ago are fading but I remember him as a reserve to Blacklaw. I'm surprised he was our No 1 in 1966-67 which wasn't a bad season as we were near the top most of the time. I can only say our defence must have been good!

I remember standing in the shed behind the bowler's arm at East Lancs CC. One of the wags shouted as the EL wicketkeeper dived and missed a ball down the leg side: "have you been wtaching Barton?". 

It was funny at the time

31 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

(I know there's a strong argument that we need to replace Armstrong's goals, but if we bring in Obafemi that means we've spent £15m+ on three strikers - so we have to look to them to get the goals. Also McBride looks to me like he will score).

Not for me on McBride. Good at under 23 level but I don't think there is enough there to step up to championship level. 

For example I think Nuttall was a better prospect and he's ended up nowhere near.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Seems you cold on this fella Joe, tell us what you think. We spunked 7 mil on BB, if he is in that territory, then sure, we need to back off. 

It would be hard to compare him to Brereton. The issue for me is it's another young forward who's being assigned a very high value. He's out of contract next summer and if he was the next big thing I just feel Saints would've been happy to have him as 3rd choice this year or at least extend his deal.

I worry about us bringing in another inexperienced forward for a fee like that.

It's not about his ability. He could come here and absolutely rock it, score goals and shut me up. But I think it's only right that I be consistent. I've said we should spend conservatively, look for deals in the EFL and to advocate for Obafemi and rave about him would be a bit disingenuous from me. He has some talent, and like I say, if he comes I'll be right behind him.

7 hours ago, alcd said:

Obafemi has a terrible record with hamstring injuries, missing large parts of the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons then having surgery earlier this year for a "leg muscle" injury. Any other club would steer well clear but Mowbray.......

God---we collect them! Its like a nursing home. Go to Ewood, see the physio, join your mates in the lounge, blanket round your legs and watch tele. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

How do we pay Obafemi?

We've supposedly tried and failed to offer new deals to Nyambe, Armstrong and Rothwell.

If we had any sense we would be offering extensions to Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis, Brereton

Yet unable or unwilling to.

In the very unlikely event this Obafemi is on less money than all those players then it doesn't add up.

I also don't fancy taking him with a supposed value of several million and doing Soton yet more favours by taking him now against Armstrong's value when they are set to lose him next year for free.

I'd rather actually use the cash more effectively and in a more balanced manner, investing in 3 or 4 areas of the squad.

Suspect there's some chain yanking going on here just to keep concerned supporters quiet whilst they get Armstrong out the door.

Definitely agree about investing in other areas. 

We need a striker now AA has gone but equally we have no real defensive cover.

The there are contracts that desperately need extending for a few players or our summer will be a mega rebuilding job, probably with minimal transfer budget.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

How do we pay Obafemi?

We've supposedly tried and failed to offer new deals to Nyambe, Armstrong and Rothwell.

If we had any sense we would be offering extensions to Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis, Brereton

Yet unable or unwilling to.

In the very unlikely event this Obafemi is on less money than all those players then it doesn't add up.

I also don't fancy taking him with a supposed value of several million and doing Soton yet more favours by taking him now against Armstrong's value when they are set to lose him next year for free.

I'd rather actually use the cash more effectively and in a more balanced manner, investing in 3 or 4 areas of the squad.

Suspect there's some chain yanking going on here just to keep concerned supporters quiet whilst they get Armstrong out the door.

Agree with most of this .

The contract situation should be dealt with before anything else but that's not to say Obafemi would be a bad signing, although if he is costing us 6 mill then the money could be spent better.

Southampton won't be getting nothing for him If his contract runs down though, it will go to tribunal and will easy get 4 million+ for him so we wouldn't be doing Southampton any favours and if Nixon is correct we ain't the only club interested in him. 

On your last paragraph I disagree from what Mowbray was saying yesterday looks like the club have decided to spend some money on permanent signings

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

It would be hard to compare him to Brereton. The issue for me is it's another young forward who's being assigned a very high value. He's out of contract next summer and if he was the next big thing I just feel Saints would've been happy to have him as 3rd choice this year or at least extend his deal.

I worry about us bringing in another inexperienced forward for a fee like that.

It's not about his ability. He could come here and absolutely rock it, score goals and shut me up. But I think it's only right that I be consistent. I've said we should spend conservatively, look for deals in the EFL and to advocate for Obafemi and rave about him would be a bit disingenuous from me. He has some talent, and like I say, if he comes I'll be right behind him.

I think some are getting too caught up in the fee for Obafemi. Not looking like we'll get the full £20m for Armstrong so the true value of Obafemi would be less than the £5m or £6m reported, agreed? As long as both parties are happy with the deal, then that is what counts.

If he tends to suffer muscle injuries then that's a bit of a worry at such a young age. Josh King has had a lot of niggling muscle issues as well, but it tended to better through the middle and now the latter parts of his playing career. I personally like the look of Idah at Norwich better, he has the 'total package' but then again I have seen a little more of Obafemi. Would I expect him to score 20+ goals this season? Definitely not. But if our front trio of Breo, Gallagher and Obafemi can chip in with 10+ goals each then that wouldn't be too shabby. Khadra and Dolan would be decent alternatives.

The contract situation of some of our key players needs sorting, and we need someone in to challenge Ayala, although Pike could play RB and Nyambe move in centrally if needed. Central midfield looked good vs. Swansea, but Bucko and Travis will both be card collectors it seems.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I think some are getting too caught up in the fee for Obafemi. Not looking like we'll get the full £20m for Armstrong so the true value of Obafemi would be less than the £5m or £6m reported, agreed? As long as both parties are happy with the deal, then that is what counts.

If he tends to suffer muscle injuries then that's a bit of a worry at such a young age. Josh King has had a lot of niggling muscle issues as well, but it tended to better through the middle and now the latter parts of his playing career. I personally like the look of Idah at Norwich better, he has the 'total package' but then again I have seen a little more of Obafemi. Would I expect him to score 20+ goals this season? Definitely not. But if our front trio of Breo, Gallagher and Obafemi can chip in with 10+ goals each then that wouldn't be too shabby. Khadra and Dolan would be decent alternatives.

The contract situation of some of our key players needs sorting, and we need someone in to challenge Ayala, although Pike could play RB and Nyambe move in centrally if needed. Central midfield looked good vs. Swansea, but Bucko and Travis will both be card collectors it seems.

Yeah didn't someone say if Obafemi refuses, the deal for AA goes up by 3 million? So isnt that more likely the fee we're paying/not paying for Obafemi? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

To be fair to Tony he's done okay with young players when they've joined - Armstrong himself being an example, Brereton has started looking decent, Rothwell obviously has done well. Not too many young players have turned out to be turkeys. So I will watch with interest how Obafemi does. I won't be writing him off. 

Does anyone know if we can invest further? Assuming we get Obafemi my priority list would be 1) centre back (Ayala is going to get injured very soon I am sure), 2) right back (Im assuming JRC is going to struggle to be fit), 3) centre mid, 4) left back. The squads so thin we could arguably use another CB and CM on top of that. But say we have £5m to spend we will be lucky to get three players.

(I know there's a strong argument that we need to replace Armstrong's goals, but if we bring in Obafemi that means we've spent £15m+ on three strikers - so we have to look to them to get the goals. Also McBride looks to me like he will score).

In terms of types of players to bring in I would focus on young players with potential unless there is genuine quality with experience out there who can stay fit. I'd be very cautious - so many of the "experienced" buys do not bring enough consistency and struggle with injury.... eg. Dougas, Ayala, Johnson. All those players were probs on wages at least 3x young players like Travis or Rothwell who play more games and add more to the team over a season.

Item 1) I am sure the Rovers are hoping Wharton will be fit soon.

Item 2) Pike is cover at right-back

Item 3) Travis, Davenport, Rothwell, Garrett, Johnson, Buckley.

Item 4) I agree we need another left-back.

I also think that if possible the squad should be strengthened, but not just added too. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah didn't someone say if Obafemi refuses, the deal for AA goes up by 3 million? So isnt that more likely the fee we're paying/not paying for Obafemi? 

The added fee to Armstrong would have to be agreed. I'm sure it will all be undisclosed anyway, but probably closer to £3m than £6m I would think.

8 hours ago, 47er said:

God---we collect them! Its like a nursing home. Go to Ewood, see the physio, join your mates in the lounge, blanket round your legs and watch tele. 

A nursing home? He's 21. Plus it's not as you claim at all. Ayala had a long term injury and I mean, what? Are you blaming Dack for his injury. Just nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Item 1) I am sure the Rovers are hoping Wharton will be fit soon.

Item 2) Pike is cover at right-back

Item 3) Travis, Davenport, Rothwell, Garrett, Johnson, Buckley.

Item 4) I agree we need another left-back.

I also think that if possible the squad should be strengthened, but not just added too. 

1 - Probably take him a while to get up to speed, we absolutely need another CB addition.

2 - Never played a game of professional football at any level.

3 - Davenport has 5 starts for the club in over 3 years, Garrett none.

4 - Agreed, if something happens to Pickering we can't be relying on Cirino step up, or for JRC to play there as he's made of glass. 

• Like 1

The most important renewals for me are Brererton and Nyambe.We paid a big fee for Ben and it would be absolutely sickening if he joined a team from abroad for nothing when he has started to grow into a good player.

Think the ship has sailed with Rothwell.Lenihen has been at the club a long time and he might want a new challenge.

Kaminski we have longer to sort out with us having a years option but hopefully we can get something sorted before he moves into his final year 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

1 - Probably take him a while to get up to speed, we absolutely need another CB addition.

2 - Never played a game of professional football at any level.

3 - Davenport has 5 starts for the club in over 3 years, Garrett none.

4 - Agreed, if something happens to Pickering we can't be relying on Cirino step up, or for JRC to play there as he's made of glass. 

1) It would be nice to have another first team center-back. But we don't need one.

2) U23's are professionals, I believe.

3) That doesn't make them bad players for the here and now, just that the manager hasn't picked them in the past.

Edited by rigger

11 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Lenihan might be looking to test his luck in the PL or for a promotion chasing Championship side. Nyambe has been mis-managed, same as Rothwell.

Rothwell has had his chances. Not playing well enough isn’t mis-management. He’s been too inconsistent throughout his time here. For an attacking midfielder, his stats are below average and he has played in his preferred position often enough.