BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

No idea. I'm looking at that and thinking some of them could be affordable and beneficial.

Joe Bennett, Neil Taylor, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Rochina, Bolasie, Saivet, Bentaleb could all be useful imo, and they're just the ones I've heard of.

I'd argue the two center middle in that list dogmeat now betaleb is injured and saivet has never got a lookin at Newcastle in years rather have Clarkson than either 

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

'That good'? I said affordable and 'could be useful'. Not exactly a high bar, I'm literally thinking of plugging gaps in our squad.

Why did nobody else clamour to sign Nelsen or Samba or Tugay or Friedel or Graham or Mulgrew or Dack or Kaminski 'if they are that good'? All players we signed without battling another club.

Your post reminded me of a particular summer;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/transfers/verein/164/plus/?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Personally I’d rather we stuck with Butterworth, Buckley, Davenport, Carter as opposed to bringing in old mercenaries. I’m sure some are still up to it but we didn’t get the best out of two of our signings that summer until we’d been relegated.

83B339B5-4C50-4010-A690-D1E8B2C22317.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/transfers/verein/164/plus/?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Personally I’d rather we stuck with Butterworth, Buckley, Davenport, Carter as opposed to bringing in old mercenaries. I’m sure some are still up to it but we didn’t get the best out of two of our signings that summer until we’d been relegated.

I get your point and it has some merit but not all free transfers are old mercenaries. The example you use has in it arguably our best centre forward of the last 5 years and a chap who captained us to promotion and did well for us in his first season here. The other three are pretty, actually very, gash though. If anything this proves the point that some free transfers can be good but others need to be steered well clear of. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I get your point and it has some merit but not all free transfers are old mercenaries. The example you use has in it arguably our best centre forward of the last 5 years and a chap who captained us to promotion and did well for us in his first season here. The other three are pretty, actually very, gash though. If anything this proves the point that some free transfers can be good but others need to be steered well clear of. 

That list didn’t even have Cherry on a “extremely terrible cake” aka Wes Brown.

When you consider the difference between a bottom half regular premier league wage and an average championship wage, it’s no surprise that  not many drop down quickly.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

couldnt find the quote I thought I’d read but this one seemingly suggests you can register players who have no registration all the way up to March with efl clearance.

43.3  Where any new registration or transfer of a Player is received by The League after 5pm on the fourth Thursday in March in each Season, that Player will not be eligible to play in any match organised by The League in that Season, except as permitted in Regulation 57

Edited by JBiz

11 hours ago, islander200 said:

Nixon saying at least one permanent signing and crooke and Sharpe been saying it too 

At one time I would have found that exciting.

Now under Mowbray and chums it fills me with fear.

Why should that be, does it happen to fans of any other club?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

The asset we had at the end of it was Wharton ready for the first team.

I think that's a false argument really. If we'd say spent that money on an actual centre half we still would've allowed Wharton to go out on loan. 

Loan in a player isn't the only way to loan out a player.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Depends on the signing ofc, which your post highlights nicely. But it also shows that there are free transfers to be taken advantage of even if nobody else goes for it.

18 hours ago, tomphil said:

Surely it is the only way to actually build for the future with a lower cost base.

Instead bringing in loads of short term fixes and prioritizing them and their appearances is counter productive.  Finish 12 th, go around in circles every season wasting a few million in loan fees.

When you get lads like Elliot as good as they are you end up building your team to suit them. They prosper and move on and you have to start again.

This season should be about utilizing that 12 million quid strike force and our own assets. They need some help but they should be the priority not some kid from Liverpool or City.

Agree with both your posts on this. However, we also need to bring in some experience to make sure we don’t put all of our eggs in the youth basket and get relegated. Mowbray is not good enough at developing young players quickly and spends the majority of their contract lengths bringing them in and out of the side. They need older heads around them (and so does Mowbray).

Meanwhile Mowbray is busy getting in even more young players, who I assume won’t question him. Although it makes me wonder if Chapman did and suffered the consequences…?

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Mulgrew and Graham were 2 excellent signings though? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mulgrew and Graham were 2 excellent signings though? 

Excellent in league 1 perhaps?- Mulgrew was a liability as a centreback in the championship imo.

Graham was also partially a rover before that - he’d been on loan previously I think.

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Depends on the signing ofc, which your post highlights nicely. But it also shows that there are free transfers to be taken advantage of even if nobody else goes for it.

It also highlights the gulf in championship / premier league wages. Which is exactly why some of those players for this seasons free transfer list, won’t move until the very last moment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Excellent in league 1 perhaps?- Mulgrew was a liability as a centreback in the championship imo.

Graham was also partially a rover before that - he’d been on loan previously I think.

It also highlights the gulf in championship / premier league wages. Which is exactly why some of those players for this seasons free transfer list, won’t move until the very last moment.

Ya, he was excellent. Huge reason we went up. 

Graham a great signing that summer, regardless of whether he was on loan beforehand or not 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he was excellent. Huge reason we went up. 

Graham a great signing that summer, regardless of whether he was on loan beforehand or not 

Two Rovers players I look fondly back on  from 6 free signings, Stokes, Brown, Greer and Feeney all utterly a waste of good money.

Throw in Williams as a cash buy and the loans of; Emnes, Hoban and Gallagher Byrne, Hendrie, Samuelson and Joao.

How many from 13 good enough for championship level? Graham, Emnes… possibly Gallagher and a fit Hoban?

A far better position I think this season, to be selective, take opportunities with top level loans (similar to Tosin / Elliott / HB) and rely on a bucketload of talent (as evidenced again last night vs Everton) coming through the u23s

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Agree with both your posts on this. However, we also need to bring in some experience to make sure we don’t put all of our eggs in the youth basket and get relegated. Mowbray is not good enough at developing young players quickly and spends the majority of their contract lengths bringing them in and out of the side. They need older heads around them (and so does Mowbray).

Meanwhile Mowbray is busy getting in even more young players, who I assume won’t question him. Although it makes me wonder if Chapman did and suffered the consequences…?

I can't recall him ranting at a player directly the way he did at Dolan on Sat. Maybe i'm wrong but make of it what you will.

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I can't recall him ranting at a player directly the way he did at Dolan on Sat. Maybe i'm wrong but make of it what you will.

He will ruin Dolan. He'll knock the enthusiasm out of him. He should not be a central striker. The solution is obvious to me---put him on the wing or play him behind a front two (if there is room for him) and play Gallagher in his natural position. 

He should be "brought on" not depended on.

• Like 2