BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

20 million for Armstrong? No one will pay that

Frankly, I think they should. Yes his contract is running down but that's not much use to a club if a different club doesn't buy him. For me he is comfortably worth 25 million fully contracted. I'm surprised the interested parties haven't put bids in except Southampton not even offering 10. If there isn't enough solid interest he will probably have to go for in the region of 15, which frankly is an absolute bargain these days. Only a bit more than Gally and BB cost us. Bit of a joke really.

• Like 1

People keep saying, if he stays another season, he will leave on a free. Personally I think his options will be limited. I don't think a top 10 Prem club would be interested. Would clubs that have just been promoted, or clubs that have just survived take a risk on an untried( in the Prem ) striker ? That leaves a couple of Prem clubs or another Championship club.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

You'll eat your words. He's a top talent and only been held back by two injuries sadly. Was immense in his half at Fylde, best player on the day.

A 'top talent' would have made his mark well before the age of 22.

Injuries or not, if Butterworth had it, he would have broken through into a very mediocre Rovers' team quite some time ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Injuries or not, if Butterworth had it, he would have broken through into a very mediocre Rovers' team quite some time ago.

How can a player break through when injured?He has spent the majority of the last two seasons out injured

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

You'll eat your words. He's a top talent and only been held back by two injuries sadly. Was immense in his half at Fylde, best player on the day.

With all due respect, its a bit different being immense in a competitive league like the Championship than it is at Fylde in a half hearted pre season friendly.

I really do hope I eat my words, but if we're relying on him coming good and staying injury free this season I think we're in for a struggle.

As has been said, surely the sensible option is to see how he gets on for a season in the league below before we thrust him in?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

With all due respect, its a bit different being immense in a competitive league like the Championship than it is at Fylde in a half hearted pre season friendly.

I really do hope I eat my words, but if we're relying on him coming good and staying injury free this season I think we're in for a struggle.

As has been said, surely the sensible option is to see how he gets on for a season in the league below before we thrust him in?

The thing is, if we sell Armstrong we may need him this season. So we will have to take a chance. That is what being a club of our size is all about.

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

20 million for Armstrong? No one will pay that

He won't be going anywhere then.

Good news for us. (For a while at least) 

Long term we've still been screwed over by the incompetence of Waggott and Mowbray yet again.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He won't be going anywhere then.

Good news for us. (For a while at least) 

Long term we've still been screwed over by the incompetence of Waggott and Mowbray yet again.

Only worry is his people sort out a deal with an English club on the sly.Come the latter stages of the season will he really be giving 100% when he knows he won't be here the following season

I won't blame it on Mowbray or Waggot this time, as there are clearly people above them preventing fundamental footballing decisions from happening and with that any real progression of the football club.

Armstrong should have been offered a much better deal last summer, after scoring some standout goals. That would have been a priority at any well-run club. Fast forward 12 months...

This will keep on happening and it all circles back to one thing: A neglected secondary business ran from a galaxy far far away.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Latest 'update' on the smooth the path to transfer project is that allegedly Armstrong still has an offer on the table that would make him the club's highest paid player.

This is an interesting development. I wonder who has recently added the info about him being highest paid player into the equation? it hasn't been mentioned before....

They really must think we were born yesterday.

Maybe it's a case of the owners stepping in and taking matters out of the hands of Waggott and Mowbray.

Bit too late in the specific case of Armstrong but hey ho.

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

The thing is, if we sell Armstrong we may need him this season. So we will have to take a chance. That is what being a club of our size is all about.

Being a club of our size is about maximising income from player sales, then sensibly reinvesting the proceeds in replacements likely to repeat the trick and either get you promoted or increase in individual value. See Brentford who have done alright out of it.

Being a club of our size is not about allowing contracts to run down, meaning we lose out on millions then pocketing the cash and hoping a kid steps into the void. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Why not use the wages freed up from the 15 other players that have all gone and not been replaced?

Why not dip into the slush fund we had when Mowbray wanted to give Smallwood, Samuel and Graham new deals last summer?

Do you what the wage budget is for this season and surely Rovers would have wage cap in place? 

Mowbray doesn't want to give Graham a new deal last season like Graham said on the Rovers Chat podcast with himself. Not listened to it?

Smallwood and Samuel were always going JH. More theories from yourself

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am personally just interested in good players, not ones pigeon holed into Mowbray's nonsensical tactics. I qualified my suggestion by saying that I don't think that Mowbray will sign him, and indeed if he did, he would misuse him. But he is a good Championship striker who fits the criteria of a free agent.

Thats the problem tho. You signed players that will fit into your formation and style of play. Not just sign players that don't fit into your tactical approach like we seen with Mowbray signing Gallagher, Johnson, Ayala that don't fit into his possession based footballing style. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

QPR are very busy in the market, Jimmy Dunne has signed from Burnley (talented CB) as has McAllum who is a full back/wing back who was at Coventry last season but is a loanee from Norwich.

and Bristol City have signed Atkinson from Oxford for a fee as well as getting James and King providing experience in midfield. Vrancic is an eye catching signing for Stoke too.

But are any of them what we need in terms of signings? 

I can understand that you want Rovers to make signings asap but so far I've only seen 2 players who have move clubs or re sign at the current club that I would have wanted to bring Rovers. Is there any signings players made so for any championship club you would have wanted at Rovers?

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

IOr that Mowbray wanted to keep several of those out of contract yet failed to do so?

Bennett was always leave this summer and move closer to home based like I said before. Why keep injury prone players like Evans and Holtby? Plus all 3 would have too limited Mowbray transfer market signings as the current squad has 19 players that meet the age limit and criteria to be qualify as senior player in the 25 players squad rules.  

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Likewise with Carter, his loan spell bodes well but he was so out of his depth for us prior and you do wonder if it is better for him to get more games in League 1, .

Carter is 21 years now and will be 22 years old in December so surely its either use him as part of the first team squad or not and sell him. He was excellent for Burton and played a key part why they stayed up like they did. 

25 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Armstrong should have been offered a much better deal last summer, after scoring some standout goals. That would have been a priority at any well-run club. Fast forward 12 months...

Didn't we offer him a new contract last summer and been in talks for 12 months but no new deal sign yet?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Not with the Ewood pecking order, a few have had the chord cut now though so we'll see.

A seasons loan somewhere would probably be better for him. We are set to be a lower mid table development team now so he'll get some chances.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Being a club of our size is about maximising income from player sales, then sensibly reinvesting the proceeds in replacements likely to repeat the trick and either get you promoted or increase in individual value. See Brentford who have done alright out of it.

Being a club of our size is not about allowing contracts to run down, meaning we lose out on millions then pocketing the cash and hoping a kid steps into the void. 

The only difference is that we have owners who don't absolutely need the money if push comes to shove.

We should still be running along relatively sensible business lines though wherever possible and your second paragraph is of course spot on.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Darragh Lenihan hadn't, David Raya hadn't, Ryan Nyambe hadn't. Top talent is in reference to the Championship, I'm not calling him Leo Messi of course.

56 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I am thinking about what is likely to happen this coming season. Not some idealistic dream.

59 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

I won't blame it on Mowbray or Waggot this time, as there are clearly people above them preventing fundamental footballing decisions from happening and with that any real progression of the football club.

This will keep on happening and it all circles back to one thing: A neglected secondary business ran from a galaxy far far away.

Think the issue is they still don't understand about FFP and the clubs own income. They don't need it and just think as long as they keep piling it in it covers for everything. Everyone should be grateful and sooner or later something will just click and nothing else really matters.

God only knows what spade loads of shite they get fed by those doing very nicely out of it in Blackburn. Then there's the invisible middleman on his multi continent doddle of a job.

Why would any of these ever wan't their gravy train drying up ?

So no one really gives a toss beyond paying the usual lip service.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am thinking about what is likely to happen this coming season. Not some idealistic dream.

Its not an idealistic dream. Its sensible management for a club at this level, especially one whinging about income all the time.

But when run by clowns like we have I agree it seems too much to ask.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Its not an idealistic dream. Its sensible management for a club at this level, especially one whinging about income all the time.

But when run by clowns like we have I agree it seems too much to ask.

At this moment in time, with The Rovers, it is an idealistic dream.

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's pretty telling that Armstrong won't sign a new deal. He has played his best football and delivered the most goals under Mowbray, first in League 1 and now the Championship. Yet, he doesn't see this as the place to stay. I wonder what his main motivation is, money or success?

Ambition I reckon. Who wouldn't wanna try and make it at the top level? Or perhaps he doesn't believe in this manager anymore.