BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But the media have it wrong. Although they are labelled as PL and Championship referees by the media any referee in Select Groups 1 & 2 they can referee in any of the three EFL leagues. For example Monday's referee is on Select Group 1 and the International list too. Part of their contract is they do any one of the four senior leagues.

I don't disagree that the standard is poor, in fact I think I said that on an earlier post. It's more than there are lots is misconceptions around referee and the refereeing system.

There is little doubt that there is incompetence and shocking performances in the lower leagues than there is in the PL.

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

....not to mention sending off Henning Berg at Ewood and awarding a penalty for a perfectly timed tackle! (red 2hat!)

I’m sure that was Gerald Ashby rather than Durkin - I still remember that incident like it was yesterday, and his name has been imprinted on my brain ever since!!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I agree with you. It's harder to compare game to game as well. With consistency comes fairness, and when everyone agrees on that it makes the job easier.

I watch much more premier league than championship but VAR is causing the most angst there. However, I think that the Prem bigwigs need to alter the rule. A clear and obvious error needs to mean exactly that. 50 views, 5 minutes, then asking the ref to look at the monitor shows me that it's neither clear nor obvious.

The concept of VAR is excellent but the problem is with the operators. To be a VAR you need to be Select Group 1 or 2 referee either currently active or been active in the last three years. Most of these train together and work in teams as referee and fourth official. I believe there is a real element of cronyism here. You seem a sensible guy who knows football. Within a week I could teach you the Laws of the Game and you should be abme to apply for a VAR job. But you can't, it's a closed shop and it adds a Masonic element to it in my view.

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

There is little doubt that there is incompetence and shocking performances in the lower leagues than there is in the PL.

I think if you ask supporters of any club or players at any level they will bemoan the standard of their respective leagues. If I had a pound for every time I've heard "worst referee I've ever seen" or "worst decision I've ever seen" I'd be a wealthy man.

One thing is for sure, we can't do without them. 😁😁

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

I’m sure that was Gerald Ashby rather than Durkin - I still remember that incident like it was yesterday, and his name has been imprinted on my brain ever since!!

That was indeed Gerald Ashby (now deceased). Something definitely not right about that decision and rumours subsequently after his retirement pointed to him having an allegiance to Manchester United if I can put it that way

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That was indeed Gerald Ashby (now deceased). Something definitely not right about that decision and rumours subsequently after his retirement pointed to him having an allegiance to Manchester United if I can put it that way

In the week leading up by the United game I was in Sweden with Gerald for three days on a game as I had been previously in Romania and Georgia. I think somebody was being mischievous by starting that rumour, Gerald never indicated to me any  allegiances to any club. On the other hand another high profile referee from that era had what looked like the outline of a Man Utd crest after a tattoo had been crudely removed from his arm. Tellingly he always word a long sleeved shirt.

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In the week leading up by the United game I was in Sweden with Gerald for three days on a game as I had been previously in Romania and Georgia. I think somebody was being mischievous by starting that rumour, Gerald never indicated to me any  allegiances to any club. On the other hand another high profile referee from that era had what looked like the outline of a Man Utd crest after a tattoo had been crudely removed from his arm. Tellingly he always word a long sleeved shirt.

But did you ever ‘fess up your lifelong Rovers devotion to any other ref Tony…??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

But did you ever ‘fess up your lifelong Rovers devotion to any other ref Tony…??

I did John. Before each season we were sent questionnaires and one question was about your allegiance to any club. My answer was always the same! Interestingly though my Rovers answer didn't stop me refereeing Burnley although that was only in local derbies. I was due to referee Burnley v Preston and a few days before spoke to a Burnley fan who you know well and he was aghast at the prospect of a Bastard Rover refereeing his team. They won 3-0 😂😂😂.

• Like 1

They’ve been terrible for ages West Brom, even in beating Peterborough their goals came very late on. Barely won any apart from that for ages.

Unless something changes there, eg Ismael leaving, we should definitely finish above them.

Did Kipre reject us for West Brom? Genuinely can't remember what happened now with that one. Either way, it's worked out OK for us going off his performance tonight 😳

Hot on the heels of Obafemi last night who's done nothing at Swansea since we 'missed out'. Although he did have one chalked off last night.

Fully expect Burke to do shite too... 

Ismael will be out of a job I think soon, Preston just went 2 up....