BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Waggott

On 19/07/2022 at 21:17, glen9mullan said:

I do ok 😉

You might want to ask why the staff at Ewood haven't had a pay rise for 11 years, experienced staff leaving only to be replaced with higher paid fly by nights....Just look after the people who've kept the place going for years!

whilst special cases which require more and fall under the Brereton style purchase, would be authorised by the Rao's which has occurred already this summer on a player who we missed out on due to wages”

Do we know who this player is? Trying to remember who we may have missed out on. 

Just now, superniko said:

whilst special cases which require more and fall under the Brereton style purchase, would be authorised by the Rao's which has occurred already this summer on a player who we missed out on due to wages”

Do we know who this player is? Trying to remember who we may have missed out on. 

The Liverpool defender surely. 

5 minutes ago, superniko said:

Not the lad who ended up at Sheff Utd?

29 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

As promised, I said I would report back on my meeting today with Steve Waggott, which lasted just under a couple of hours.

Firstly the important bit, I chose to not have the coffee and biscuits and explained I did not want to leave the room as Mowgli after his encounter with Karr!!!

I went to the meeting as an individual  and not as a supporter representative, of any group(s), I made it very clear that I was not representative of anyone.

Steve was very welcoming when introducing himself and offered me a seat.

Steve began the meeting explaining how he liked to meet supporters, and that he has previously met with various groups including the Action Group, Ewood WMC Group, The Rovers Trust, The Fans Forum, QEGS Group and individual supporters,

At this point I stopped him before he got into full flow to ask him if he knew why I had come and if he knew anything about me, my history surrounding my involvement in previous supporter groups.

At this point we was joined by Lyndsay Talbot.

I told him I was most disappointed that I have found the need to even ask for a meeting, as I felt my work was done 5 years ago, but was very appreciative that he had given his time at a busy time for the club to meet with me, and listen  to my concerns

I gave him a brief overview of my involvement in three of the groups he had previously mentioned, my role within those groups and also the protest movement. At this point he looked at Lyndsay as it was very evident he had not done any research or asked any questions about me, so was caught a little off guard.

I said to him that no doubt in most of the meetings, he has been asked the same questions which he acknowledged was usually the case. I pointed out that my line of questioning would in many respects form a different line, given the direct contact I have with the Rao's and associates, showing him the owners telephone numbers to support what I was saying.

I was getting quite a warm vibe from Steve who was very welcoming, very passionate, very humble and obviously very focused on the job he had.

My first question was the following -

1. How does someone get a role as the CEO of Blackburn Rovers, when even the Queen waited 6 weeks for a response from India regarding her appearance/meeting with the Rao's, how did his name get thrown in the ring?

He explained that within the game their is an agency who communicate quite regular with individuals who work at board level at possible opportunities and he asked to be considered for the Rovers role as it seemed a good project, at a big club and he felt he could potentially bring something to the party. He was one of four candidates and was interviewed in India by the Rao Family. They sold their vision to him, and and asked what his previous working relationship was with our Manager Tony Mowbray? He said he had a great working relationship with him, and this was certainly something the Rao's wanted, a CEO Who could work hand in hand with the Manager for the betterment of the club.

I then re-directed the question, stating that in some quarters it was the belief Mowbray got him the job and when things dropped off this season he had backstabbed the Manager and offered no support in a) getting clarity on his future and b) Negotiating or starting the ball rolling with Raos for a possible contract extension. I stated that many of my questions will be to dispel what's fact and what's fiction, and this will given him an opportunity to state the facts, in which I will share to a wider audience

He was quite taken aback that people would think he backstabbed or did not give the manager his full support or indeed that he only got the job as part of the Coventry jobs for the boys. He categorically stated Mowbray being at rovers was just a coincidence, and the plan was always for TM to have a discussion at the end of the season with the owners as a mutual agreement which was always the case. He stated he has worked with TM now for half his own football career, and has always had a great relationship with him, where each could talk open and frank regarding how the club is taken forward. He stated he was a big supporter of the Academy, as he was at Coventry who had produced players like Maddison etc. He suggested early on in his tenure to TM The need to explore the talent we have coming through, and try and bring these players through, whilst sprinkling some established players through transfers. He explained in depth the funding of the CAT 1 Academy from the Rao's and the grants.

2. I then asked him if it was the owners objective/remit to him to produce our own players instead of funding transfers? Or if this was his view and vision?

Steve said the owners have never once turned the tap off and mutually they had agreed that we need to continue to attract the best young talent and if good enough give them the opportunity within the first team, however that would always have the financial support to buy players should the players not be ready or good enough, he reiterated the owners have never said no to cash investment when a business case is put forwards

I probed further into what he was saying, and asked if it was this seasons intention to replace our outgoing players with academy players and zero cash injection for transfers, I quantified this by stating that there has been suggestions that the Tap has been turned off and we are literally paddling with no money, are penny pinching where we can, and are being totally unrealistic in terms of both fees and wages needed to secure players as good as what have left? I reiterated this was an opportunity for him to dispel the rumours/myth if this was not the case

Steve stated that although the club feels we have a decent crop of young players, they also know they need to spend money to bring in players who can compete and take the club forward and help support the transition of our own academy.

I redirected, and asked are we talking a decent budget or one which will buy very little given the previous couple of seasons where transfer fees seem to have been next to nothing, frees or loans

Although he would not be drawn on numbers he stated a budget has been agreed to buy players to replace those who have gone, whilst special cases which require more and fall under the Brereton style purchase, would be authorised by the Rao's which has occurred already this summer on a player who we missed out on due to wages which would be an over budget spend in terms of forecast and balance sheet.

I asked how the Brereton deal come about

He said the club had a great scouting network, and BBD Had been suggested to the board and management team following some impressive performances against some top clubs during the cups, and other snippets. There was enough data, analysis to suggest BBD Was a bit special, This was suggested as a business case to the Raos, who asked if he could be the one to really become a future star? Steve said based on the data he had no doubt, and the owners sanctioned the special spend, (Like they did with Rhodes) which was above and beyond the budget, but was given as additional funds

I probed further, regarding budgets, and asked if he could confirm that the board and in particular himself and MIke Cheston sit down prior their visits to India and draft the P & L and put a number on the table to the Rao's of how much is needed to plug the gaps in the P & L, Whilst requesting the following seasons transfer budget.

He confirmed that is pretty much what happens, he has a duty to the club and the owners to not be irresponsible with spending or expectations. He said the Rao's are very wealthy, very supportive but understand the FFP Rules which we are governed by and spending more than what FFP Dictates would put us straight into embargo. He stated the parachute payments of others is making the transfer market even trickier and one wrong move could put us under embargo.

I stated that players are like widgets, and do we do an annual valuation report which is used to support additional spending, with the knowledge we'd need to sell an asset to balance the books later down the line?

He stated there has never been the pressure to sell players from the owners, or find additional revenue by selling players, as with Rothwell, they'd rather lose the player for free that hinder on the pitch progress, and this will be the same with BBD. There is a valuation and if this is not met, which to date is nowhere near to being so. Then with the full support of the Rao's BBD Will remain a rovers player. He was a big investment at the time, is happy at Rovers and we wont be bullied in the transfer market. We want to build a team around our better players, and although there is a time when we have to balance the books, this is very much driven by the board and accepted by the Raos.

I will write some more later on, when I've a bit more time as there is quite a bit of content

You need to write a book

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, superniko said:

Presume Davies with his wages and fee 

Could have been Cantwell?

Edited by islander200

34 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

As promised, I said I would report back on my meeting today with Steve Waggott, which lasted just under a couple of hours.

Firstly the important bit, I chose to not have the coffee and biscuits and explained I did not want to leave the room as Mowgli after his encounter with Karr!!!

I went to the meeting as an individual  and not as a supporter representative, of any group(s), I made it very clear that I was not representative of anyone.

Steve began the meeting explaining how he liked to meet supporters, and that he has previously met with various groups including the Action Group, Ewood WMC Group, The Rovers Trust, The Fans Forum, QEGS Group and individual supporters,

At this point I stopped him before he got into full flow to ask him if he knew why I had come and if he knew anything about me, my history surrounding my involvement in previous supporter groups.

I told him I was most disappointed that I have found the need to even ask for a meeting, as I felt my work was done 5 years ago, but was very appreciative that he had given his time at a busy time for the club to meet with me, and listen  to my concerns

I gave him a brief overview of my involvement in three of the groups he had previously mentioned, my role within those groups and also the protest movement. At this point he looked at Lyndsay as it was very evident he had not done any research or asked any questions about me, so was caught a little off guard.

I said to him that no doubt in most of the meetings, he has been asked the same questions which he acknowledged was usually the case. I pointed out that my line of questioning would in many respects form a different line, given the direct contact I have with the Rao's and associates, showing him the owners telephone numbers to support what I was saying.

I was getting quite a warm vibe from Steve who was very welcoming, very passionate, very humble and obviously very focused on the job he had.

1. How does someone get a role as the CEO of Blackburn Rovers, when even the Queen waited 6 weeks for a response from India regarding her appearance/meeting with the Rao's, how did his name get thrown in the ring?

He explained that within the game their is an agency who communicate quite regular with individuals who work at board level at possible opportunities and he asked to be considered for the Rovers role as it seemed a good project, at a big club and he felt he could potentially bring something to the party. He was one of four candidates and was interviewed in India by the Rao Family. They sold their vision to him, and and asked what his previous working relationship was with our Manager Tony Mowbray? He said he had a great working relationship with him, and this was certainly something the Rao's wanted, a CEO Who could work hand in hand with the Manager for the betterment of the club.

I then re-directed the question, stating that in some quarters it was the belief Mowbray got him the job and when things dropped off this season he had backstabbed the Manager and offered no support in a) getting clarity on his future and b) Negotiating or starting the ball rolling with Raos for a possible contract extension. I stated that many of my questions will be to dispel what's fact and what's fiction, and this will given him an opportunity to state the facts, in which I will share to a wider audience

He was quite taken aback that people would think he backstabbed or did not give the manager his full support or indeed that he only got the job as part of the Coventry jobs for the boys. He categorically stated Mowbray being at rovers was just a coincidence, and the plan was always for TM to have a discussion at the end of the season with the owners as a mutual agreement which was always the case. He stated he has worked with TM now for half his own football career, and has always had a great relationship with him, where each could talk open and frank regarding how the club is taken forward. He stated he was a big supporter of the Academy, as he was at Coventry who had produced players like Maddison etc. He suggested early on in his tenure to TM The need to explore the talent we have coming through, and try and bring these players through, whilst sprinkling some established players through transfers. He explained in depth the funding of the CAT 1 Academy from the Rao's and the grants.

2. I then asked him if it was the owners objective/remit to him to produce our own players instead of funding transfers? Or if this was his view and vision?

Steve said the owners have never once turned the tap off and mutually they had agreed that we need to continue to attract the best young talent and if good enough give them the opportunity within the first team, however that would always have the financial support to buy players should the players not be ready or good enough, he reiterated the owners have never said no to cash investment when a business case is put forwards

I probed further into what he was saying, and asked if it was this seasons intention to replace our outgoing players with academy players and zero cash injection for transfers, I quantified this by stating that there has been suggestions that the Tap has been turned off and we are literally paddling with no money, are penny pinching where we can, and are being totally unrealistic in terms of both fees and wages needed to secure players as good as what have left? I reiterated this was an opportunity for him to dispel the rumours/myth if this was not the case

Steve stated that although the club feels we have a decent crop of young players, they also know they need to spend money to bring in players who can compete and take the club forward and help support the transition of our own academy.

I redirected, and asked are we talking a decent budget or one which will buy very little given the previous couple of seasons where transfer fees seem to have been next to nothing, frees or loans

Although he would not be drawn on numbers he stated a budget has been agreed to buy players to replace those who have gone, whilst special cases which require more and fall under the Brereton style purchase, would be authorised by the Rao's which has occurred already this summer on a player who we missed out on due to wages which would be an over budget spend in terms of forecast and balance sheet.

He said the club had a great scouting network, and BBD Had been suggested to the board and management team following some impressive performances against some top clubs during the cups, and other snippets. There was enough data, analysis to suggest BBD Was a bit special, This was suggested as a business case to the Raos, who asked if he could be the one to really become a future star? Steve said based on the data he had no doubt, and the owners sanctioned the special spend, (Like they did with Rhodes) which was above and beyond the budget, but was given as additional funds

I probed further, regarding budgets, and asked if he could confirm that the board and in particular himself and MIke Cheston sit down prior their visits to India and draft the P & L and put a number on the table to the Rao's of how much is needed to plug the gaps in the P & L, Whilst requesting the following seasons transfer budget.

He confirmed that is pretty much what happens, he has a duty to the club and the owners to not be irresponsible with spending or expectations. He said the Rao's are very wealthy, very supportive but understand the FFP Rules which we are governed by and spending more than what FFP Dictates would put us straight into embargo. He stated the parachute payments of others is making the transfer market even trickier and one wrong move could put us under embargo.

I stated that players are like widgets, and do we do an annual valuation report which is used to support additional spending, with the knowledge we'd need to sell an asset to balance the books later down the line?

He stated there has never been the pressure to sell players from the owners, or find additional revenue by selling players, as with Rothwell, they'd rather lose the player for free that hinder on the pitch progress, and this will be the same with BBD. There is a valuation and if this is not met, which to date is nowhere near to being so. Then with the full support of the Rao's BBD Will remain a rovers player. He was a big investment at the time, is happy at Rovers and we wont be bullied in the transfer market. We want to build a team around our better players, and although there is a time when we have to balance the books, this is very much driven by the board and accepted by the Raos.

I will write some more later on, when I've a bit more time as there is quite a bit of content

Very informative so far, thanks for this 👍 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

this is brilliant glen, stellar work as always. cheers. can't wait to read the rest!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Lol, not with my grammar.

Was going to get someone to write this lot, gonna take all night 😞

Good stuff Glen.Much appreciated

On this funding under special circumstances one wonders why this wasn't sought last January when we were sat second in the table a bit of money spent  on 1 or 2 bits of quality and promotion could have been achievable 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Very nice of you to share this Glen but did you ask if Rovers are trying to tie up BBD to a longer deal instead of losing him for free next summer?

8 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Your grammar is fine Glen - the only thing you do need to remember (as it makes you sound like a Cockney 😂) is 'we were' instead of 'we was'.

Sorry, sounds a petty thing, but a personal peeve 🙂

Thanks for sharing so far, I actually think he comes across quite well so far - albeit based on text and not being able to look into his eyes and read his body language.

Interested to read the rest, when you get chance.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Was going to get someone to write this lot, gonna take all night 😞

Glen were contract renewals discussed at all? For the likes of Armstrong, Rothwell, Nyambe, Phillips etc? Are we competitive and are the players being offered what they deserve in your opinion? Getting down to the last year of a contract seems too common a theme.