BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Waggott

Don't profess to know anything much about NFT's, nor am I the least bit interested in same, but I did hear some youngster on a radio programme who was into this sort of garbage and the metaverse etc rattling excitedly on about how someone had paid £120k for a unique pair of Nike Trainers in the metaverse.

£120k for something that doesn't actually exist! Only of any value for as long as people decide it has some. Times and technology change but it sounds exactly the same principle as the Tulip boom and bust between 1634 and 1637.

If our Head of Commercial is pushing this idea I'm flabbergasted tbh.

1 minute ago, Upside Down said:

So basically its an imaginary 'asset' that can be purchased by some of our imaginary fans.

Steve Waggot - incompetent chump.

Yes - surely you have to have a fan base in the first place  before you can flog people NFT's or some comparable peripheral  shite.

If (as it is alleged Feilder is claiming) youngsters aren't interested in coming to the ground but are only interested in following Liverpool or City, etc, why would they be interested in purchasing Rovers merchandise in this area? They'd just go for the Premier League version wouldn't they?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't profess to know anything much about NFT's, nor am I the least bit interested in same, but I did hear some youngster on a radio programme who was into this sort of garbage and the metaverse etc rattling excitedly on about how someone had paid £120k for a unique pair of Nike Trainers in the metaverse.

I remember a time where people a fair bit older than me were calling the internet and smart phones 'garbage' and the like. I do agree that NFTs are mostly a load of old bollocks, but the metaverse has a good chance of being the future of social media. Which might in turn make NFTs viable, garbage/bollocks or not. I don't see very much market in a club like us selling them to fans though, not any time soon at least. And they'll still be a mug's game, but if the metaverse becomes as prevalent as some think, buying stuff in it could take on a bizarre amount of social prestige.

22 hours ago, goozburger said:

What Is a Non-Fungible Token (NFT)?

As a techie, even I can't be bothered working out what that means. I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to this sort of stuff, ironically. I prefer paying cash where possible because the vendor gets the full amount they expect without ridiculous card fees and other third party fees getting taken off. And there's no nondescript company lurking in the background trying to work out what you really need in your life based on your card habits with your swanky new challenger bank account. I'm a bit of a Luddite, really.

So, anyway, Steve Waggott... 😆

Basically, an NFT is an electronic proof of ownership in a sense. The easiest example to explain it is digital art. An artist makes their art digitally, and encodes it into an NFT. The NFT uses blockchain tech (basically like a digital ledger of sorts) so the owner can verify they are the true owner. Where it gets a bit daft is that the digital art (well, the image) will usually be available online to pretty much anyone for free. But only the NFT holder truly 'owns' it. I guess it's a bit like owning the original of an artwork rather than a perfect copy, and that already changes art values enormously, so it's not much different in that sense. Although art has long been a ludicrous bubble world of its own.

I have looked up "fungible" thinking it is a modern made-up word.  How wrong I was.

Adjective meaning "(of goods contracted for without an individual specimen being specified) replaceable by another identical item; mutually interchangeable"

Origin.......late 17th century from medieval Latin fungibilis from fungi: 'perform, enjoy', with the same sense as fungi vice 'serve in place of'.

So there you are. I always thought fungi were mushrooms. Ah well!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I remember a time where people a fair bit older than me were calling the internet and smart phones 'garbage' and the like. I do agree that NFTs are mostly a load of old bollocks, but the metaverse has a good chance of being the future of social media. Which might in turn make NFTs viable, garbage/bollocks or not. I don't see very much market in a club like us selling them to fans though, not any time soon at least. And they'll still be a mug's game, but if the metaverse becomes as prevalent as some think, buying stuff in it could take on a bizarre amount of social prestige.

Basically, an NFT is an electronic proof of ownership in a sense. The easiest example to explain it is digital art. An artist makes their art digitally, and encodes it into an NFT. The NFT uses blockchain tech (basically like a digital ledger of sorts) so the owner can verify they are the true owner. Where it gets a bit daft is that the digital art (well, the image) will usually be available online to pretty much anyone for free. But only the NFT holder truly 'owns' it. I guess it's a bit like owning the original of an artwork rather than a perfect copy, and that already changes art values enormously, so it's not much different in that sense. Although art has long been a ludicrous bubble world of its own.

Basically 🤣🤣🤣

Quick update. 

Good meeting with Steve Waggott. good guy 

He answered all my questions and was very personable. 

the pitch has been improve and a number of areas have been stitched up to help the quality of the pitch throughout the season. So money has been spend on the pitch as others have said. 

ST sales have been good and better than start of last season first home game. I won't given exactly figures. Not my place to. 

I was happy what I heard about how the new footballing structure brought in(I said I agree and wanted this structure in place for some time) and how we identify players and scouting. I won't go into exact details as it not my place or position to. Just for the record I didn't asked for specific names or positions we want signings in as I didn't arrange the meeting for this purpose or wanted to asked those questions to him. 

I praised the club on keeping its Category 1 status and being the only club in the championship who has this. It is important part of the club football strategy going forward and vital for our club.  Spoken about the good prospects coming through now and how good it is for the future of the club 

Also just for the record I won't be answering any questions on the meeting. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Chaddy - why will you not be answering any questions?

Was there anything said that he didn’t want shared?

It sounds like you were reassured but what specifically gave you any hope that he wasn’t just playing to the crowd?

I also find it strange @chaddyrovers that you feel that it is "not your place" to share season ticket sale numbers.

Did Waggott ask you to keep it confidential or is that of your choosing?

He has taken up a supporters request for a meeting and told you the number, if his intention was to keep it private then he has messed up by telling a fan in the first place!

I think even though he seemingly just gives people lip service that it is good that he is willing to meet with fans, although I do wonder if it is because he knows he can charm people with words to cover up shoddy actions. I might be remembering incorrectly but didn't you say @1864roverite that he was essentially slagging off Lenihan to fans saying how he is never a Premier League defender and he told him as such after the 7 nil loss? In my view, that sort of conversation is totally unprofessional and quite frankly unacceptable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Quick update. 

the pitch has been improve and a number of areas have been stitched up to help the quality of the pitch throughout the season. So money has been spend on the pitch as others have said. 

ST sales have been good and better than start of last season first home game. I won't given exactly figures. Not my place to. 

I was happy what I heard about how the new footballing structure brought in(I said I agree and wanted this structure in place for some time) and how we identify players and scouting. I won't go into exact details as it not my place or position to. Just for the record I didn't asked for specific names or positions we want signings in as I didn't arrange the meeting for this purpose or wanted to asked those questions to him. 

I praised the club on keeping its Category 1 status and being the only club in the championship who has this. It is important part of the club football strategy going forward and vital for our club.  Spoken about the good prospects coming through now and how good it is for the future of the club 

Glad you felt he answered all your questions and you came away as positive as you was before you went in

• Like 1

Did make me laugh that he is all… ‘I can’t say this’ , ‘I’m not at liberty to say that’, when as you say, it’s just standard stuff that ends up in the FF minutes anyway.

Ah well, at least he got to strut around the forum like a peacock the past week pre his verrryyy important meeting. 😁

• Like 8

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My amateur cricket club has bought grass seed this week and bought a new mower at the start of the season. That means money has been spent on the pitch. I'd hope there was more to it than that though. 

Read like that to me too.

Money has been spent on the pitch came across like me telling my wife I've hoovered the living room.

Sure, the hoover entered that room, what it achieved while there is very much up for debate. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Quick update. 

Thank God for that and hopefully this non event can be consigned to the dust bin very quickly.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We got the numbers for season tickets at the fans forum tonight. They’ll be in the minutes when they’re released.

Wh...what?!? Surely...surely it isn't your place to say! 🤣

N.B- I'm highly amused that he didn't want to ask the CEO of the football club any questions about signing players, but will pester every two-bit journalist on Twitter about it who more often than not doesn't have a scooby, or even a scrappy, doo.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3