BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

It's a simple question for me. Is Howe any better than Bruce?

My view is no particularly if the need to scrap. Howe is one of the noveau managers who want their teams to play total football. But you can't weave without weft.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Why go for Gerrard at rangers.  Gerrard has proven nothing.  Winning a Mickey mouse league doesn't impress. I judge a clubs success on the European stage and rangers have done nothing in Europe 

They have done pretty well in Europe under Gerrard and have pulled off some impressive scalps in his time there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I heard he’d gone back to Norway for a short break.

Manchester United have no plans to replace manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer despite Saturday's defeat in the Manchester derby.

There is no indication from the club that the Norwegian will lose his job during the November international break and, as things stand, he is expected to be in charge for their next Premier League game against Watford.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: No plans to replace Manchester United manager despite City defeat | Football News | Sky Sports

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely incredible that such a big club let such an incompetent manager continue just because he was a former player and scored an important goal.

I think it probably more to do that the Glazers and Woodward don't want to make a decision. Plus didn't Woodward leave shortly his role as Chairman there so does he want of his last decision to be sacking Ole. Plus what does Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex think. 

Another factor is there a clear candidate to take over and is he currently available? probably not.  

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think it probably more to do that the Glazers and Woodward don't want to make a decision. Plus didn't Woodward leave shortly his role as Chairman there so does he want of his last decision to be sacking Ole. Plus what does Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex think. 

Another factor is there a clear candidate to take over and is he currently available? probably not.  

It would not be difficult for Man United to find a better manager than Solskjaer.

I also think that the continious presence of Charlton and Ferguson overlooking things is unhealthy, they need to look forward.

Hopefully they keep Solskjaer as he is a shit manager.

• Like 5

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It would not be difficult for Man United to find a better manager than Solskjaer.

I also think that the continious presence of Charlton and Ferguson overlooking things is unhealthy, they need to look forward.

The trouble is they won't just require a better manager; they're still deluded enough to require a 'worthy' manager.

After Conte, there's not much left currently. Zidane (no desire to come to England apparently) or Allegri at a push?

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The trouble is they won't just require a better manager; they're still deluded enough to require a 'worthy' manager.

After Conte, there's not much left currently. Zidane (no desire to come to England apparently) or Allegri at a push?

Lets be honest, United are a massive club with a giant budget and can reasonably expect a "worthy manager." 

I think they could get a top, top manager, although they have acted too late to get Conte. I suppose as you said it may depend on who is available.

• Like 1

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lets be honest, United are a massive club with a giant budget and can reasonably expect a "worthy manager." 

I think they could get a top, top manager, although they have acted too late to get Conte. I suppose as you said it may depend on who is available.

The problem they have is that the world's best managers are managing their rivals.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Surely this isn’t a factor?

Ferguson is still lurking in the background and it’s really not healthy for the club at or subsequent managers at all. Re Bobby Charlton though, very sadly, he’s had dementia for a year, so I don’t imagine he’s involved any more.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Who do you think they should realisic target then? 

I don't see realistic options right now to take over. I think they should realistic target PSG coach Pochettino and Ajax coach Ten Hag. I don't think they can get Allergi from Juventus or Ancelotti from Real Madrid. Plus Klopp or Pep or Tuchel aren't going their current PL job to take the United job. 

I don't seen what the problem is why Sir Alex Ferguson there. Surely it a help him being there. Proper football person around just like Bayern Munich have former Bayern keeper Oliver Kahn as CEO of Bayern or when a footballing legend Franz Beckenbauer as President for 15 years. Doesn't seem to harm that club over the last 25 years 

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Surely this isn’t a factor?

SAF is a major factor and player at the club I believe. I see him being around as a massive positive for the manager 

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see realistic options right now to take over. I think they should realistic target PSG coach Pochettino and Ajax coach Ten Hag. I don't think they can get Allergi from Juventus or Ancelotti from Real Madrid. Plus Klopp or Pep or Tuchel aren't going their current PL job to take the United job. 

I don't seen what the problem is why Sir Alex Ferguson there. Surely it a help him being there. Proper football person around just like Bayern Munich have former Bayern keeper Oliver Kahn as CEO of Bayern or when a footballing legend Franz Beckenbauer as President for 15 years. Doesn't seem to harm that club over the last 25 years 

SAF is a major factor and player at the club I believe. I see him being around as a massive positive for the manager 

Remember how Fergie got nowhere until Busby stopped overshadowing him?

Same thing applies imo.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Remember how Fergie got nowhere until Busby stopped overshadowing him?

Same thing applies imo.

I dont see that way. Fegie was allowed to build a squad and time. Plus he won 5 trophies before Sir Matt Busby passed away including the first PL title(92/93 European cup winner(90/91), European Super Cup(91)

He built a good squad before he won the first Premier League with the like Schmeichel, Parker, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Giggs, Ince, Robson, Sharpe, Hughes, Kanchelskis and McClair. Very good squad there. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
More info posted

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont see that way. Fegie was allowed to build a squad and time. Plus he won 5 trophies before Sir Matt Busby passed away including the first PL title(92/93 European cup winner(90/91), European Super Cup(91)

He built a good squad before he won the first Premier League with the like Schmeichel, Parker, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Giggs, Ince, Robson, Sharpe, Hughes, Kanchelskis and McClair. Very good squad there. 

Yes, but at the point Busby stepped back from his Directorship in 1989 (heavily influenced by the death of wife in 1988), they had won nothing.

Then came the FA Cup in 1990.

That was 4 trophyless seasons with Fergie on the verge of the sack once or twice until Busby's shadow stopped lurking, then suddenly the wheels started turning.

I'm certainly not suggesting Fergie needs to die before Utd can succeed properly (a bizarre idea), just to stop exerting influence over the club.

Edited by Mike E

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Yes, but at the point Busby stepped back from his Directorship in 1989 (heavily influenced by the death of wife in 1988), they had won nothing.

Then came the FA Cup in 1990.

That was 4 trophyless seasons with Fergie on the verge of the sack once or twice until Busby's shadow stopped lurking, then suddenly the wheels started turning.

I'm certainly not suggesting Fergie needs to die before Utd can succeed properly (a bizarre idea), just to stop exerting influence over the club.

But you overlooked the fact he was allow to a very good squad by given time and patience. 

I'm sure Fergie wouldn't put any blame on Busby for the first few seasons. 

Like I said before I think Ferguson being around is actually a good thing for the club, manager and players 

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

To be honest, I am not sure. I don't doubt that 3 of the very best managers in world football are at the current top 3 teams in the same league. I also can't profess to know European football well enough to recommend many managers outside of the obvious ones, Simeone, Ten Hag, Allegri etc, but I am sure that there are plenty of other top quality managers across the continent. Pochettino wouldn't be top of any list, at Spurs he did improve things but he never won anything and his spell at PSG has been unremarkable it seems, and Ancelotti didn't do anything at Everton. But it is easy to underestimate the size of United and how attractive a job it is in the here and now.

The thing is, and I am not sure if it is something that you strongly agree with, no idea, Solskjaer is such a poor manager. Years into his tenure, he couldn't be further away from having a plan, hence his recent desperate attempt to move to 3 at the back, part of the plan considering the signing of an 80m winger in the summer? Clearly not, the tactics are hope that Ronaldo gets you out of the shit, which does happen at times but is not a coherent plan.

To be honest, even someone like Bielsa as a short term suggestion wouldn't be absurd. A massive improvement on Solskjaer, a man with a very specific way of playing, well reknown training methods and also someone who would definitely move and who doesn't demand anything longer than a years contract. 

The Kahn comparison is not a valid one, Kahn crucially is not a former manager, especially not one who has overseen an unprecedented spell of constant success in charge. Everytime an opposition team score, or Solskjaer is questioned it pans to Ferguson in the crowd, he is lingering like a bad smell.

Would be an interesting appointment, he has done a good job in Scotland although Celtic have been very much in transition so it has been a one horse race, but he has also done well in Europe during his time there.

That being said, I suspect that the Sun are jumping the gun, I read underneath the article on twitter that he is over in London doing some commentary/punditry work.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be honest, I am not sure. I don't doubt that 3 of the very best managers in world football are at the current top 3 teams in the same league. I also can't profess to know European football well enough to recommend many managers outside of the obvious ones, Simeone, Ten Hag, Allegri etc, but I am sure that there are plenty of other top quality managers across the continent. Pochettino wouldn't be top of any list, at Spurs he did improve things but he never won anything and his spell at PSG has been unremarkable it seems, and Ancelotti didn't do anything at Everton. But it is easy to underestimate the size of United and how attractive a job it is in the here and now.

Why would Simeone leave Atletico Madrid or Allegri leave Juventus for United? 

I think Pochettino is the obvious choice for United for Solskjaer at the end of the season. 

I fully understand the size of United thanks roversfan99 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, and I am not sure if it is something that you strongly agree with, no idea, Solskjaer is such a poor manager. Years into his tenure, he couldn't be further away from having a plan, hence his recent desperate attempt to move to 3 at the back, part of the plan considering the signing of an 80m winger in the summer? Clearly not, the tactics are hope that Ronaldo gets you out of the shit, which does happen at times but is not a coherent plan.

No I don't think Solskjaer is a poor manager at all. One of the reasons he moved to back 3 was how easy Liverpool ripped them apart in that game. 

Sancho was signed cos he wanted to 4-2-3-1 formation but things and circumstances changed. Plus Ronaldo only came available from Juventus after he asked to leave days before he moved to Old Trafford

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be honest, even someone like Bielsa as a short term suggestion wouldn't be absurd. A massive improvement on Solskjaer, a man with a very specific way of playing, well reknown training methods and also someone who would definitely move and who doesn't demand anything longer than a years contract. 

Bielsa? give over. Hardly pulling up trees at Leeds and you clearly don't understand the Manchester United Leeds United rivalry either. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Kahn comparison is not a valid one, Kahn crucially is not a former manager, especially not one who has overseen an unprecedented spell of constant success in charge. Everytime an opposition team score, or Solskjaer is questioned it pans to Ferguson in the crowd, he is lingering like a bad smell.

well since I mention 2 names not just Kahn but of Beckenbauer who was Bayern for a short term and national manager for 6 years. But you choose to overlook him tho. Kahn is a Bayern legend and in a very important role in the club but it doesn't effected Bayern at all. If anything they have young talent manager in Nagelsmann who doesn't look affect by working for one of the world biggest clubs or having Kahn or Beckenbauer around the club. 

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would be an interesting appointment, he has done a good job in Scotland although Celtic have been very much in transition so it has been a one horse race, but he has also done well in Europe during his time there.

That being said, I suspect that the Sun are jumping the gun, I read underneath the article on twitter that he is over in London doing some commentary/punditry work.

clearly didn't read the article properly but its the Ibrox channel who is reporting the story first. 

What Commentary/punditry work would he be doing on International football weekend?