BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

• Moderation Lead
56 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

after watching 1/2 hour of the west ham vs liverpool game,it`s blindingly obvious to everyone in the football watching world that alexander arnold is by far the best right back in the country,everyone bar the england manager that is🧐

I’d say Reece James is better overall personally, but TAA’s set pieces are outstanding.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why? 

Martin's style of play the way Swansea hierarchy wanted their team to play

Why?  Why in the name of God would Norwich appoint him? Norwich are rock bottom of the league. What does his style have to do with anything? He walked out on MK Dons at the drop of a hat and we are ahead of Swansea in the league. 

Crazy appointment that would be. Would you be happy with that if you were a Norwich fan? 

I would be flabbergasted if they appoint Russell Martin 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why?  Why in the name of God would Norwich appoint him? Norwich are rock bottom of the league. What does his style have to do with anything? He walked out on MK Dons at the drop of a hat and we are ahead of Swansea in the league. 

Crazy appointment that would be. Would you be happy with that if you were a Norwich fan? 

Presumably as a emotionally driven appointment as a former player.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Martin left MK Dons for Swansea so he left for bigger club. 

Norwich need a head coach that fits their squad there got.

Well he is former player and captain there during the Lambert years there so I imagine he would be popular there.

I would want Lampard but I see Knutsen is the favourite for the Norwich head coach on Sky bet 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Example 3 Graeme Souness (at Liverpool)

Example 4; Frank Lampard at Chelsea.

I'll add that caretakers should never be given the job full time. It doesn't usually end well.

Rovers were lucky that they had the best in the business in Tony Parkes, but he was always happy to slip back into anonymity.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a list of about half a dozen potential contenders for the Villa job in today’s paper. Hasenhuttl, Gerrard, Fonseca, Hjulmand, Frank, Terry etc. I find it strange that Dyche isn’t even in the running.

It shows how the game has changed and just how lucky Burnley have got.

A decade ago, a Villa, West Ham, Everton etc. would have been all over Dyche and that lot would have sunk back to whence they came.

Now, even a Palace or Southampton wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole, so he can just crack on getting 40-ish points whilst sitting on a mega contract and they can continue to ride the PL gravy train.

• Like 1

Yep spot on re. Dyche.

People keep hailing what a great job he is doing and how he will end up walking if the new owners don't back him in the transfer market. I think not.

The reality is that he's just had no better offers which is why he's still at Burnley. He gets to run the show as he wants to with his bank balance looking very healthy after he keeps them up each season but then has to repeat again next year.

He seems happy with this arrangement. Most managers get fed up of performing miracles every year and want more. See Hughes here, Allardyce at Bolton, Curbs at Charlton, even Pulis at Stoke, Lambert at Norwich - back in the day they'd get a move to a bigger or richer club and have their chance to replicate it elsewhere. Not for Dyche though because the better jobs all pass him by.

Villa is the sort of job he should be in line for to prove if he is as good as they say he is at a bigger richer club. Yet he's nowhere to be seen in the discussion whilst they are linked with the usual Terry-Lampard-Gerrard trinity and a selection of foreign names.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a list of about half a dozen potential contenders for the Villa job in today’s paper. Hasenhuttl, Gerrard, Fonseca, Hjulmand, Frank, Terry etc. I find it strange that Dyche isn’t even in the running.

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It shows how the game has changed and just how lucky Burnley have got.

A decade ago, a Villa, West Ham, Everton etc. would have been all over Dyche and that lot would have sunk back to whence they came.

Now, even a Palace or Southampton wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole, so he can just crack on getting 40-ish points whilst sitting on a mega contract and they can continue to ride the PL gravy train.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yep spot on re. Dyche.

People keep hailing what a great job he is doing and how he will end up walking if the new owners don't back him in the transfer market. I think not.

The reality is that he's just had no better offers which is why he's still at Burnley. He gets to run the show as he wants to with his bank balance looking very healthy after he keeps them up each season but then has to repeat again next year.

He seems happy with this arrangement. Most managers get fed up of performing miracles every year and want more. See Hughes here, Allardyce at Bolton, Curbs at Charlton, even Pulis at Stoke, Lambert at Norwich - back in the day they'd get a move to a bigger or richer club and have their chance to replicate it elsewhere. Not for Dyche though because the better jobs all pass him by.

Villa is the sort of job he should be in line for to prove if he is as good as they say he is at a bigger richer club. Yet he's nowhere to be seen in the discussion whilst they are linked with the usual Terry-Lampard-Gerrard trinity and a selection of foreign names.

Simple snobbishness - they see themselves as better than Dyche - IMO foolishly. I believe to get the "bigger" job he needs to take a sideways step abroad, maybe even a backwards step.

The other thing is at Burnley he has more control than any other top flight club will give - does his style work in the set ups these days under a director of football? I don't know but I do agree he won't get the advancement opportunites in England.

• Like 5

Newcastle bemuse me. Big money takeover and there's talk of them ruling the world and being the dominant force in English football  so they appoint Eddie Howe.... he doesn't fit that brief.

OK so they've also claimed that they need a stepping stone, someone to tide them over till the summer, keep them up and give them a platform to build from. Does he fit that brief either? I don't think so.

In fact, if the requirement is a steady pair of hands to keep them up until summer... Steve Bruce... Big Sam. Not good enough for the mighty toon. GOD I hope they go down. 

Wrong job for Eddie howe I think. I think he needed to go to an established Premier league club such  as a Crystal Palace type club. One that isn't in too much danger of going down but with a bit of tidy football could break the top 10.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Wrong job for Eddie howe I think. I think he needed to go to an established Premier league club such  as a Crystal Palace type club. One that isn't in too much danger of going down but with a bit of tidy football could break the top 10.  

Spot on. He would do a similar job for that type of club as Rodgers has done at Leicester. 

11 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Simple snobbishness - they see themselves as better than Dyche - IMO foolishly. I believe to get the "bigger" job he needs to take a sideways step abroad, maybe even a backwards step.

The other thing is at Burnley he has more control than any other top flight club will give - does his style work in the set ups these days under a director of football? I don't know but I do agree he won't get the advancement opportunites in England.

Oh I agree. Dyche would not be seen as a sexy or ambitious move by a PL club these days. That's partly because of him being an ex centre half Englishman managing Burnley, partly down to the style of football he has become known for at Burnley.

These days the high paid executives want to go for the foreign names

This also ties in with the structure of the club - as you say at Burnley he has control over the operation - a very traditional and some would say old fashioned approach of having a manager running the show. Most PL clubs have moved away from that and diluted the manager's power so were Dyche to get a move elsewhere he would have to relinquish power and accept having to work alongside or below someone else who might not share his views.

Add to that rumours of a substantial release clause in his contract and there's not much chance of a rival club making a move for him. I think the only way it would happen would be if he managed to drag Burnley back into Europe or towards a domestic cup. Those sort of headlines might tempt someone but finishing 16th or 17th and no cup run won't.

As above, maybe he's happy with all this and staying at Burnley working relative miracles every year but most managers get fed up with it and want to try something more than that sooner or later.

• Like 6

Dyche is a victim of his own success. By that, I mean keeping Burnley in the Prem by playing to their strengths, which perhaps isn't the prettiest.

As a result, he's tarnished - possibly unfairly - as a hoofball merchant. He's probably been there too long now for opinions to change.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Don't know much about him tbh but he doesn't come across (to me) as ambitious? 

Perhaps he's happy with his £K? Another 20 years in the game? Who cares 😁

The thing is mate he doesn’t need another 20 years in the game if he’s motivated by money. These guys are rolling in it and don’t really need to work for any great length of time at all (compared to the rest of us).

• Like 3

23 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont appoint a manager because he did well as a player at a club, example 1, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

What about these managers who have played for the club they managed like Conte at Juventus, Ancelotti at AC Milan, Howe at Bournemouth, Keegan at Newcastle, Guardiola at Barca. All had success at them 

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not surprise Dyche isn't even in the running as he isn't head coach type that Villa want. As others have said Dyche runs the show at the Dingles and he won't get that at most PL clubs

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Newcastle bemuse me. Big money takeover and there's talk of them ruling the world and being the dominant force in English football  so they appoint Eddie Howe.... he doesn't fit that brief.

OK so they've also claimed that they need a stepping stone, someone to tide them over till the summer, keep them up and give them a platform to build from. Does he fit that brief either? I don't think so.

In fact, if the requirement is a steady pair of hands to keep them up until summer... Steve Bruce... Big Sam. Not good enough for the mighty toon. GOD I hope they go down. 

Well they are in talks to bring Michael Emenalo as sporting director at the club who is a fan of Howe. Also he worked at Chelsea in a similar role there.  

to big a job for eddie,he`s far to nice,gentle and southern for life as a newcastle manager, the difference between gentile bournemouth and success starved newcastle ,where the fans  can turn on you brutally  ,is astronomical,you kind of get the feeling he was only offered the job because no one else wanted it,i don`t give him till the end of the season