BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheff Utd (h) - 6/11/21 - 146th Birthday

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You sound like our Tony. Rovers best performance for years and you want to change things right away. To bring Gally back you’d either have to drop one of the two lads who played so well out wide yesterday. That’s not how you motivate players.

Were you comfortable with how Khedra and Edun looked defensively on the left? I certainly wasn't. Poveda too... And that was against a pretty poor Sheffield U performance. Perhaps Pickering could solidify that a bit better, but it had me worried.

Anyway, yeah, fair enough if you're not keen on Gallagher slotting back in. I wasn't advocating to put him back on the wing, more highlighting what Brereton provides there. And I agree that Poveda+Khadra deserve another start, I'm just cautious.

('Play the loans!' is a funny change of sentiment, but I suppose things can change fast in football!)

Edited by RoverCanada

18 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Sat in the pub and the team news filtered through left me feeling that this is the end of Mowbray, his tinkering to the end would see another capitulation and heavy defeat!

On taking my seat, that after no food was left in the JW Upper, I was pleasantly surprised to see a much bigger than expected Home crowd.

Cue 1 minute 20 seconds and we fail to get a defender in the way and we concede in the first Sheffield attack.

Fear of another beasting were quickly removed as I saw something we have been missing on our pitch, pride, effort, a work ethic, a team with a plan, passing, movement, speed and guile. Yes, this was the Rovers we crave for.

without going into every minute Rovers were superb, each to a man. Fighting for the ball, splendid movement across the pitch and yet we saw our frailities only this time we rode the luck and if we had used a little more composure we would have seen 5 or 6 in the back of the opposition net, almost righting the ruined goal difference following Mowbray shitshow on Wednesday!

Our resident football experts will note the skill, speed and guile of Khadra and Poveda. The6 will have taken note of the miles run by Buckley, Brereton and Travis. They will have noted the effort of Nyambe, Edun and Wharton marshalled by Leneghan. ALL players who have been abused, defiled and slated on various forums.

Well let me say this, each and everyone of them performed out of their skins.

Buckley and Brereton covered every inch of the pitch. Poveda and Khadra scared the living shit out of Sheffield whilst defensively it was a much better performance than of late. Yes there were times when we got lucky but we made our luck and earned that result today.

Credit to Mowbray today, I still want him out and the right managers that are currently out there are on a very short list especially after Warnock being potted today. So, as we hit the international break, Rovers should take the plunge right now and make that change.

Great result and a glimpse of what might be with the right set up.

Enjoy the weekend.

Just a small point, but Sheffield had another similar chance, just before they scored.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I was elated at  both the performance and result and I don't need any lectures in loyalty from you thanks.

If I thought Mowbray would learn any lessons from this game and not tinker around I'd be even happier.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw this same eleven again!

Great performance it was no doubt but it shouldn't take a 0-7 home pasting to get that sort of reaction.

That's the whole problem with this current set up and if they want to make progress that kind of team set up and effort has to become the norm.  Not the once in every few months it tends to be.

Will the pennies drop ?   Will they balls it'll be back to tea and biscuits laid back efforts again once the heat is off.

• Like 4

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Great performance it was no doubt but it shouldn't take a 0-7 home pasting to get that sort of reaction.

That's the whole problem with this current set up and if they want to make progress that kind of team set up and effort has to become the norm.  Not the once in every few months it tends to be.

Will the pennies drop ?   Will they balls it'll be back to tea and biscuits laid back efforts again once the heat is off.

This is the big problem. As much as I genuinely enjoyed the result and the performance yesterday, we know it won't last. Under Mowbray it's a fleeting moment of joy before crashing back down to Earth. Especially with us being so close to the top six. 

If TM genuinely was one game from the sack yesterday, then frankly he should already be gone. If the hierarchy has lost faith in you to the point where a single result could end in a sacking then the situation is already too far gone. Particularly when you consider we're generally in a decent position considering the squad available. There must be more to it than just results alone. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I was elated at  both the performance and result and I don't need any lectures in loyalty from you thanks.

If I thought Mowbray would learn any lessons from this game and not tinker around I'd be even happier.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw this same eleven again!

Lecture in loyalty? Ffs get a grip get a life and look forward. 6 points out of 9 is a good return despite the heavy loss and indeed its 3 wins out of 4.

You are a symptom of the negativity in and around some Rovers fans, yes it’s not all rosey but for gods sake look at it in a different way like others seem able to do and back the team. TM and SW are not BRFC, the club is much more than them.

In any case I didn’t lecture you I voiced my opinion 

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Brereton had a strange game, a few poor finishes and bits of clumsiness but yet another goal

big ben was everywhere,just what you want from your centre forward,the formation was spot on,i like one centre forward and someone just behind him,it gives you an extra dimension

Brereton, the new Beamo. Fast becoming a hero.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

This is the big problem. As much as I genuinely enjoyed the result and the performance yesterday, we know it won't last. Under Mowbray it's a fleeting moment of joy before crashing back down to Earth. Especially with us being so close to the top six. 

If TM genuinely was one game from the sack yesterday, then frankly he should already be gone. If the hierarchy has lost faith in you to the point where a single result could end in a sacking then the situation is already too far gone. Particularly when you consider we're generally in a decent position considering the squad available. There must be more to it than just results alone. 

I think the players or at least most of them were hurting from the Fulham mess and desperately wanted to put it right themselves.

I don't believe he was a game from the sack for one min that kind of stuff is just chucked about to pacify fans imo. If we'd played ok but still lost to that early goal there'd have been a heap of reasons given not to sack him.

I agree there has to be more to it behind the scenes but getting the formation with some balance in it certainly helps.  All too often that isn't the case when it should be but every now and then the tombola spews out the right things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

How do people give Mowbray credit for Brereton?? If it wasnt for international football, do people really think he would be as good this year? We lucked out with his Chilian adventure

I would say it is more that we, lucked-in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Give over, he's terrible at developing talent. Let's look at your list:

In the space of a week Buckley has played at RB, as a False 9 and as an AMC.

He tried to shoehorn Rothwell into the AML role for two years and now alternates him between AMC and CM. 

Travis he's beaten the creativity out of - he's forced him to be a DM when in reality he had the potential to be a quality CM (a classic Box-to-Box one at that). 

Brereton carved a role out for himself at AML because Mowbray didn't know what to do with him. The only playing time he gave to his £7m man in his first year was as a 10 minute sub every other game. 

That is totally unfair. Buckley only plays at right back in an emergency, and has become a regular in the centre quicker than I and many others would have envisioned, and has come on leaps and bounds.

Rothwell played from the wing when Dack was involved, and even in a couple of years from a central position, there are still

When has Travis ever been a creative player? This idea that he has been massively restricted I have always found strange.

And again on Brereton, it is not luck nor just down to the player himself. Brereton looked hopeless initially, now he has come on leaps and bounds especially from that left sided position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brererton’s goal was a classic example of what wing play brings. We got in up the bye line, the blades defenders were all turned around and facing their own goal. Easy for Brererton to lose his man for a tap in.

Well, it was more a guy running down the middle and having the ball played down the outside of him into the penalty area, he didn’t actually go anywhere near the touch line in that move. Not saying he didn’t play the touchline well at other times.

An interesting thought exercise is how do you put Rothwell into yesterday’s team and not make it worse? Drop Davenport and go back to having a soft centre? Drop one of Poveda and Khadre, both scorers? Drop Buckley - the heads-up brains?

8 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Well, it was more a guy running down the middle and having the ball played down the outside of him into the penalty area, he didn’t actually go anywhere near the touch line in that move. Not saying he didn’t play the touchline well at other times.

An interesting thought exercise is how do you put Rothwell into yesterday’s team and not make it worse? Drop Davenport and go back to having a soft centre? Drop one of Poveda and Khadre, both scorers? Drop Buckley - the heads-up brains?

I would think it is pretty simple. Rothwell goes back in. If or when the performance isn't there. Not after a good performance. Or if you are Mowbray, lets try him at full-back.

Edited by rigger

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I was talking about how we got the ball to the bye line for the winger to put that cross in. Also about how difficult it is for defenders to mark up once they’ve been turned around to face their own goal. They lost Brererton completely.

A lot of managers getting the heave ho this week, even on the back of positive results - Colin Wanker and Farke two good examples. Shows other clubs have awareness, ambition and decisiveness at their core. Rovers, in the meantime, have Waggot, Mowbray, Venus, crap catering, dodgy dealings asset stripping the club for petty cash, players literally ready to walk for nothing, a total humiliation from a bang average competitor on their CVs and a stadium that is starting to look waay beyond its sell-by...

...And we sit on our hands and do feck all to make a change, or at least those in charge of the club do so...

Baffling. Predictable, but still Baffling

• Like 6

How good was Brereton yesterday. He was mental...Armstrong leaving has done him wonders! Our exotic strike force with Khadra, Brereton and Poveda was a very exciting combination....

And thats without Gally, Dack and Dolan along with Butterworth as worthy replacements.

• Like 3