BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheff Utd (h) - 6/11/21 - 146th Birthday

Well I didn't expect that at all I must admit.

Initial thoughts upon seeing the team news were Poveda is shite, lazy and not arsed. Wharton looks risky, is he even fit? (Big fan of his when he is fit though) When the early goal went in I actually laughed and thought here we go again. Poveda then went onto play easily his best game for us, where the hell has that player been hiding? Diaz I thought was outstanding, absolutely led the line and put in a shift that suggested Wednesday night really hurt and he wanted to make amends, their defence shit themselves every time he marauded forward with the ball at his feet.

Wharton offered further encouragement, one thing I also notice with him is how vocal he is. When the blades threatened a few times he was barking orders on how to stop it happening again.

At risk of sounding like a miserable pessimist I still can't get carried away though. I think Sheff utd were very poor, as they have been for most of the season, I like Gibbs-White but after that wouldn't give many players praise. I also think it's highly unlikely that same team will play the next game, the international break won't help matters there but at least its the last one for a while.

The unpredictability of this league is bonkers, hence the league table. Fulham and Bournemouth are basically up but even West Brom look a bit wobbly at times. I expect West Brom and Forest to be 2 of the play off teams then 2 wildcards. Boro will be expecting an instant impact from Wilder, I personally think he's working with scraps with that squad though. If the league is this close after Xmas it will make for a brilliant final half of the season. Until further notice we're not fully resigned to mid table mediocrity, although in the back of our minds most of us expect it.....

• Like 2

Well, we ventured down to the Riverside, with my 7 year old full of awe at the size of the stadium and saying how noisy it was. Downhill appeared to be the direction of travel for a while, and I did wonder whether the decision to go would be shown to be a mistake for a while.

On reflection, four very good goals (their early strike was clinical and an amazing finish) but how poor do Sheff Utd look? You'd have thought they'd had the 0-7 tonking on Weds from the way they capitulated. It made me wonder whether a glass-jaw back four is just a feature of the also rans in the division this season (although that's something we've had for years anyway...)

My daughter's summary? Meh - she said it was too cold, too noisy and just boring. Big question is, will something about the experience stay with her and bring her back as she grows up? Time will tell. I hope Rovers go on to more stability, but am not holding my breath with the clowns in charge across the club. Big up to those who organised the banner at the training complex - has anyone posted the picture on social media, so there is a chance it might wing its way to Pune and the Goldie Looking Chain mob?

Result? - yeah! Surprised? - yeah! Flash in the pan? - probably yeah..

• Like 4

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope you and your family have a great time especially the 4 year old lad. They are activities for him to take part in

He absolutely loved it and is walking round the house this morning signing Sweet Caroline. Great game and the atmosphere was very good, best it’s been for a good while in my opinion 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Inta Beaver said:

He absolutely loved it and is walking round the house this morning signing Sweet Caroline. Great game and the atmosphere was very good, best it’s been for a good while in my opinion 

I am so glad he loved it. Hope you get to more games soon. 

Can I asked what stand you were in? 

Yes the atmosphere was great even after their early goal. They backed the players completely and I'm buzzing off the performance today. I really enjoyed watching us play like that and play with passion, pride and desire. That is our Rovers team

47 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Well, we ventured down to the Riverside, with my 7 year old full of awe at the size of the stadium and saying how noisy it was. Downhill appeared to be the direction of travel for a while, and I did wonder whether the decision to go would be shown to be a mistake for a while.

On reflection, four very good goals (their early strike was clinical and an amazing finish) but how poor do Sheff Utd look? You'd have thought they'd had the 0-7 tonking on Weds from the way they capitulated. It made me wonder whether a glass-jaw back four is just a feature of the also rans in the division this season (although that's something we've had for years anyway...)

My daughter's summary? Meh - she said it was too cold, too noisy and just boring. Big question is, will something about the experience stay with her and bring her back as she grows up? Time will tell. I hope Rovers go on to more stability, but am not holding my breath with the clowns in charge across the club. Big up to those who organised the banner at the training complex - has anyone posted the picture on social media, so there is a chance it might wing its way to Pune and the Goldie Looking Chain mob?

Result? - yeah! Surprised? - yeah! Flash in the pan? - probably yeah..

What's the story behind the banner? What did it say?

10 hours ago, 47er said:

I don't see how you can take the positives out of 3 games when 1 was an absolutely unprecedented 7-0 home defeat.

Some how or other we have recovered for this game and I'm delighted about that. But the fragility of the squad makes me worry where the next battering will come from.

Personally I just think we are treading water, we almost certainly won't be relegated but haven't the talent or nous at any level of the club to be promoted.

If we managed it by a miracle, I would shudder at the prospect of seeing us  back in the Premier League. We have been promoted there 2 times, but each time the squad just needed topping up. We had plenty of players whom we could confidently predict would do well in the top league. Lucky if there's 2 now.

Are you for real?

A positive is sinking a recently relegated premiership team 3-1 after a record home defeat, that’s a positive in itself!

• Like 7

I was with 3 family members yesterday, in the Jack Walker …attending a game I didn’t want to watch.

My final words , just before kick off were “Just don’t concede early “…….At 1 down within 2 minutes I expected us to fold ….but , how wrong was I . 
I thought Wharton was immense, we had a midfield who played the ball forward, Brereton ran hard for 90 minutes and we played with width… simple football with key players, in their correct key positions …Bingo.

They displayed guts, heart and I felt it mattered ……with leadership, a half decent manager and reasonable admission prices we could return to the days of having our club back.

Thank you boys…In you I have some hope after yesterday…to you Mowbray ….I still despise you as a manager …

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bazza said:

Now THAT was a team performance. Especially after going down 1-0 before two minutes had elapsed.  Every player deserves at least 8/10. Any time a Sheffield player had the ball in our half there were at least two Rovers players on him.

Travis, Davenport and Buckley had blinders. And Poveda...............what has happened to him? Has he been called up to the Chile squad?

I've never felt so good leaving Ewood for a long, long time, mainly because of the effort of the lads.

Now now @bazza a little less positivity if you don’t mind 😀

Seriously though your post sums things up nicely, I’m sure everyone feared the worse conceding so early in the game, but the lads showed character and bottle, credit to them all, superb stuff.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Are you for real?

A positive is sinking a recently relegated premiership team 3-1 after a record home defeat, that’s a positive in itself!

If you want to base your opinions on the most recent game and ignore what's been going on for years , that's your prerogative.

I am elated at the win but not stupid enough to think past the next game. I've learned that lesson over the last 11 years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Perhaps we should try not training properly more often!

Really wasn't expecting that, someone be it Mowbray or someone else really shook them up and I really really enjoyed it. I'd go as far as to say it's the best we've ever played under Mowbray.

Terrible goal to concede after 1 min 17 s and the obvious thought was "here we go again" and heads could have dropped. However we gradually battled back and had the better of the rest of the first half and fully deserved our equaliser although it took a fortunate deflection.

The second half was brilliant. We were like lightning on the break. Poveda was terrific (Where's that performance been?) Genuine wide men in their natural positions works. Whoever would have thought it? Further back Davenport and Travis were very good indeed and I thought Buckley had his best performance for the Club over 90 mins.

In defence I love Wharton. I understand from someone who knows him he's Rovers through and through and I just think he does the basics you want from a defender. No frills but no messing either. Does what it says on the tin. I also think Wharton's so steady Lenihan looks better alongside him than anyone else.

Only downside for me Edun. I think he's shocking defensively and is never a LB in a million years. Whether he could do a job in midfield remains to be seen, but is he any better than what we've already got.?

Still want Mowbray gone before the next game but if he's still here by then, for God's sake man you've stumbled upon something that works, stick with it. Edit: And don't let Gallagher within a million miles of the starting line up.

Mowbray out, Venus out, Waggott out. We caught a glimpse of what the future COULD be like today. Imo only under another manager and different management off the pitch as well though.

Wharton is Rovers through and through. His brother is at the club too and will hopefully make it into the first team. Local lad, who still lives local too.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Beafo said:

What banner was this?

It’s posted on this thread, on Twitter and on Facebook. It has also been on the side of the Fox and Grapes pub, near Ewood. It was made and paid fr bu a group of guys, who are trying their level best to get the best sort of ownership back for the club. It’s a picture of Uncle Jack, with a quote from madame, in 2010 which suggested her and her family would respect the legacy of Jack Walker. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 47er said:

If you want to base your opinions on the most recent game and ignore what's been going on for years , that's your prerogative.

I am elated at the win but not stupid enough to think past the next game. I've learned that lesson over the last 11 years.

My opinions won’t change on the past 11 years, the owners and the current manager I want to see wholesale changes.

in saying that and replying to your post there are plenty of positives, the result the effort the pride the steel the guile and speed of the team was at times a joy to behold and all that after a midweek home leathering! 

As a Rovers fan I was proud loud and tall yesterday after feeling positively numb since Wednesday I will take yesterday as a positive like many others if you can’t or won’t then that is your prerogative.

• Like 2

At least for me, Khedra and Edun's defensive troubles were a reminder that Brereton's defensive work rate is one of the main reasons we should generally keep him out wide, unless Gallagher is out.

He clearly has the lung capacity to run up and down for 90min, plus exceptional straightahead speed. I think his athleticism gets a bit underrated because he can occasionally look rather uncoordinated/gangly out there haha

21 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

My opinions won’t change on the past 11 years, the owners and the current manager I want to see wholesale changes.

in saying that and replying to your post there are plenty of positives, the result the effort the pride the steel the guile and speed of the team was at times a joy to behold and all that after a midweek home leathering! 

As a Rovers fan I was proud loud and tall yesterday after feeling positively numb since Wednesday I will take yesterday as a positive like many others if you can’t or won’t then that is your prerogative.

I was elated at  both the performance and result and I don't need any lectures in loyalty from you thanks.

If I thought Mowbray would learn any lessons from this game and not tinker around I'd be even happier.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw this same eleven again!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

At least for me, Khedra and Edun's defensive troubles were a reminder that Brereton's defensive work rate is one of the main reasons we should generally keep him out wide, unless Gallagher is out.

He clearly has the lung capacity to run up and down for 90min, plus exceptional straightahead speed. I think his athleticism gets a bit underrated because he can occasionally look rather uncoordinated/gangly out there haha

You sound like our Tony. Rovers best performance for years and you want to change things right away. To bring Gally back you’d either have to drop one of the two lads who played so well out wide yesterday. That’s not how you motivate players.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am so glad he loved it. Hope you get to more games soon. 

Can I asked what stand you were in? 

Yes the atmosphere was great even after their early goal. They backed the players completely and I'm buzzing off the performance today. I really enjoyed watching us play like that and play with passion, pride and desire. That is our Rovers team

I get it to a fair few games but not with the full family, the cost for 5 of us yesterday was less than £40 so it was perfect opportunity for my lads 1st game, we were in JW upper row 1 towards the Blackburn End. 

It certainly makes your Sunday more enjoyable after a performance like that 👍

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Really? 

beating a poor team at home is equal to getting stuffed 7-0 at home!? 

not that my dislike of Mowbray really has much to do with that 1 result

Mowbray out

Waggot out 

Hughes in. 

Bigdog did not compare the 7 thumping to yesterdays result. He said he would take the result over an apology for the first performance. This does not  mean he is happy with the Fulham performance.  

Just now, rigger said:

Bigdog did not compare the 7 thumping to yesterdays result. He said he would take the result over an apology for the first performance. This does not  mean he is happy with the Fulham performance.  

Yes, exactly. If he apologised and we lost yesterday the aplogiy wouldnt mean much. So the win is what matters. 

As we all know, that Fulham result is gonna sting on an ongoing basis! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You sound like our Tony. Rovers best performance for years and you want to change things right away. To bring Gally back you’d either have to drop one of the two lads who played so well out wide yesterday. That’s not how you motivate players.

Yes. I imagine Gallagher will be back in though, so one of Khadra or Poveda is getting dropped. 

It's am away game, so I can't see him playing them both. Hope im wrong. 

19 hours ago, yankfan said:

7-0 drubbing aside, any of us would have gladly taken 6 points from this weeks 3 matches. 

At the start of the 3 match period I would have settled for 3 points. That does not mean that I am willing to accept the abject performance against Fulham. Mowbray out,out,out.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes. I imagine Gallagher will be back in though, so one of Khadra or Poveda is getting dropped. 

It's am away game, so I can't see him playing them both. Hope im wrong. 

How would you feel after playing so well you get left out and have to watch Gallagher bumbling up and down the wing ? I’d be really pissed off if it happened to me. Sometimes I think he only plays Gallagher to give us some height when we’re defending set pieces. Not that he’s much good at defending.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces