BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

54 minutes ago, rigger said:

To me JRC is a cover player, I would doubt if anyone would pay a fee for him.

Hence why I said if there's any takers. I don't think there will be. He'll be one who runs down his contract and leaves I would hope, but knowing TM he'll give the lad a new deal for being a good human. 

26 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Hence why I said if there's any takers. I don't think there will be. He'll be one who runs down his contract and leaves I would hope, but knowing TM he'll give the lad a new deal for being a good human. 

Think he could have become a player who was at least very handy to have at the club. But he is just constantly injured and has been for years, stopping him developing and stopping him being available. There isn't any point keeping him around once his contract is up. We need players who can stay fit most of the season.

9 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

I’d prefer Healey, he’s more of a natural goal scorer. Unfortunately prem sides are also looking at him so unfortunately the opportunity to get him may have been missed. 

He sounds kinda like a crapper version of Rhodes to me. But not seen him.

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, Jokanovic, along with the likes of Warnock, Hughton, McCarthy, Pearson, Cowley was a name being promoted as manager here. Subsequent events have shown that the club did very much the right thing in retaining the services of Tony Mowbray.

Why, unless Mowbray gets us promoted via the play offs it doesn't prove any such thing.

All of the above have had way more success than Mowbray in recent years despite the odd blip. Are we ignoring Mowbray's record at Middlesbrough, Celtic and Coventry then?

I'd love Jokanovic here. Could be sensational with this group of players.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, Jokanovic, along with the likes of Warnock, Hughton, McCarthy, Pearson, Cowley was a name being promoted as manager here. Subsequent events have shown that the club did very much the right thing in retaining the services of Tony Mowbray.

It doesn't show any such thing. The season is still young. We are on a good run and have had a good start. We have done that before under him and still floundered midtable at close of play. The proof, if it comes, will be at the season's end. It's a marathon not a sprint, and Mowbray has shown poor stamina before.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

I’d prefer Healey, he’s more of a natural goal scorer. Unfortunately prem sides are also looking at him so unfortunately the opportunity to get him may have been missed. 

Thats fair enough not seen a lot of him tbh a plus for me with maja is he has scored goals at this level in a very poor Sunderland side.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It doesn't show any such thing. The season is still young. We are on a good run and have had a good start. We have done that before under him and still floundered midtable at close of play. The proof, if it comes, will be at the season's end. It's a marathon not a sprint, and Mowbray has shown poor stamina before.

MP is only fishing, and only pops up after a win. Wasn't much sign of him after the Fulham game.

I shouldn't have bitten really..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t see Dack dogging defenders like Dolan does. He made a goal out of nothing last night. Not for the first time either.

No defo not, but he is more creative, scores more and potentially could create more opportunities for BBD and himself.

11 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Tin hat on but I am not sure where Dack fits in either of our formations. Last night would he have been one of the 2 up front. And in the 4-3-3 would he be a false 9 and would that work? Bit of a concern as to where he fits, talented though he is. Bit like the Ronaldo United situation on a lesser scale imo. 

Probs would be 4231 with Ben up top, Dolan left, Khadra right, Dack in the hole. Not sure Id really want to drop Buckley tbh though.

20 hours ago, Wood26 said:

With Dack, Gallagher and JRC to come back I don’t think we need to add to the squad in January, unless it’s a opportunity for the future or replace an out going player.

We definitely need a right back, a striker wouldnt hurt in case Brereton gets injured. A not absolutely shite backup GK would be shrewd also. After that, somewhat incredibly, we actually look well setup.

Brereton, Dolan, Wharton, Buckley all stepping up, and Ayala actually playing some games (from time to time) has transformed the squad.

• Like 1

For me 1st priority is to get BBD to sign a new contract, if that means using some of the transfer budget, then so be it. I don't think we need more attacking options and for me, January is never a good time to buy. If we can I'd prefer to wait until the summer, but if some leave IE lenihan, nyambe or Rothwell, then we will have little choice. I'm in two minds over whether a loan would do, or a permanent signing should be made.  If a player was available that we could sign properly then I'd want a CB first, RB 2nd or a CM, we have plenty of decent attacking options, especially with Dack to return so I would not be using whatever cash we have there.

2 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Thats fair enough not seen a lot of him tbh a plus for me with maja is he has scored goals at this level in a very poor Sunderland side.

At this level, goal, singular. 1 goal in 17 Championship appearances. His goal glut came the season after, in League One. Then he went to Ligue 1, but he did get loaned to the Prem with Fulham last season and notched 3 goals in 809 minutes (so about 9 full games worth, not a bad rate at a higher level).

Still young, doesn't seem a bad move on paper...my main concerns would be that back injury and, especially because of it, the probable price tag.

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

At this level, goal, singular. 1 goal in 17 Championship appearances. His goal glut came the season after, in League One. Then he went to Ligue 1, but he did get loaned to the Prem with Fulham last season and notched 3 goals in 809 minutes (so about 9 full games worth, not a bad rate at a higher level).

Still young, doesn't seem a bad move on paper...my main concerns would be that back injury and, especially because of it, the probable price tag.

So it did I remembered that totally wrong I was under the impression that it came at championship level my bad.

11 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I feel like someone just heard this lad is being looked at by Rovers and didn't know which one so they guessed at a couple of them!

The Irish league is very poor and seems a better place to shop for prospects than for immediate first teamers, which at 23 and Nyambe's contract situation, he would probably have to be. But hey, maybe he's brill. Not sure I buy this link but we will see what happens.

33 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I feel like someone just heard this lad is being looked at by Rovers and didn't know which one so they guessed at a couple of them!

The Irish league is very poor and seems a better place to shop for prospects than for immediate first teamers, which at 23 and Nyambe's contract situation, he would probably have to be. But hey, maybe he's brill. Not sure I buy this link but we will see what happens.

It is nearly January after all!

Here’s another https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1105670828?-11198:839

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

yep damian duff, lenihan were all shite players from Ireland !

Congratulations on not reading my post properly. I said it is somewhere to shop for prospects, but not for immediate first teamers. Neither of those came straight into our first team (Duff got his debut in the last game of his first season, clearly bought as an exciting prospect). Neither of them were already 23 like this lad. At that age you want someone who can challenge for the first team pretty rapidly. It's very hard to know if someone can do that when you've only seen them in the Irish league.

I'm sure this will now prompt you or someone else to find an example of someone who went straight from the Irish league at a similar age to starting at Championship level or above, as if I implied it was impossible...

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

yep damian duff, lenihan were all shite players from Ireland !

Jeff Kenna wasn't bad either, or Kevin Moran! I suppose they didn't come straight over

I take @bluebrucepoint without insult, it's unlikely to find a first team starter, in fact some you think might, don't even make it like Forrester and Richie Towell. Alan Brown and Maguire over at PNE have done well though, the former in particular. Gavin Kilkenny is starting for Bournmouth and my my favourite, Bazunu is over at City, what a prospect that lad is, contrary to his current loan situation. 

It's becoming more likely I think though. The coaching and underage structures have improved a lot. A couple of young lads have gone over to Italy recently 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jeff Kenna wasn't bad either, or Kevin Moran! I suppose they didn't come straight over

I take @bluebrucepoint without insult, it's unlikely to find a first team starter, in fact some you think might, don't even make it like Forrester and Richie Towell. Alan Brown and Maguire over at PNE have done well though, the former in particular. Gavin Kilkenny is starting for Bournmouth and my my favourite, Bazunu is over at City, what a prospect that lad is, contrary to his current loan situation. 

It's becoming more likely I think though. The coaching and underage structures have improved a lot. A couple of young lads have gone over to Italy recently 

Loads of Irish talent around. I'd never dispute that. Been some really top class players in the past, like Duff and Keane, and still some Premiership level players now. Who knows what the future holds.

Just the standard of the domestic league there is very poor relative to ours. It's not a good testing ground for a senior age player looking to step to our level. You can perhaps correct me, but I get the impression even Irish people are generally more interested in the Prem than their domestic league. If so, that's probably part of what keeps the clubs poor and the standard low. All the best prospects seem to get hoovered up by English clubs early doors, like Bazunu.

Everyone bangs on about how premierleague football has made England suffer because of all the foreign imports, but Ireland and Scotland have suffered more imo. Used it have dozens of Scots and Irish in the top English division - often the best players (Keane, Giles, Dalgleish, Souness) etc. Now it's very very hard to get a look in. Still some but a fraction of what it used to be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Everyone bangs on about how premierleague football has made England suffer because of all the foreign imports, but Ireland and Scotland have suffered more imo. Used it have dozens of Scots and Irish in the top English division - often the best players (Keane, Giles, Dalgleish, Souness) etc. Now it's very very hard to get a look in. Still some but a fraction of what it used to be.

Cream always rises to the top, and the top talent will,  from what ever country they come from.

• Like 2