BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’m with you Gav. Why on earth would you sell one of the players in their last year, all of them key men, for a pittance when we are 4th heading in to December? ‘Well, they could down tools’. Possibly, but I’m not seeing it with this bunch.

They leave on a free in June after sending us to promotion or at least a stab at it, then fair enough and hand shakes all round, absolute madness to let them go now.

In the fantasy land where we get promoted, it's highly unlikely they would even still want to leave. In fact the ball would be very much in our court at that point on whether we wanted to keep them or get Prem quality.

• Like 1

Yep, it doesn't make sense to rip apart a team when we are 4th in the League. Brereton in particular has another season after this so if needs must and we cant give him a big wage suiting the second top scorer in the league, then sell him then. Not sure how much demand there would be to pay anything other than a nominal fee for the other 3 with less than 6 months on their deals.

@Paul Mani (if im not blocked) which League 1 right back do you have in mind that is of equivalent quality to Nyambe for a couple of hundred grand?

Or is it an oversimplification based on Pickering? Surely we should also go and get a Dack quality attacking midfielder for a 6 figure fee from the same league if its that easy?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep, it doesn't make sense to rip apart a team when we are 4th in the League. Brereton in particular has another season after this so if needs must and we cant give him a big wage suiting the second top scorer in the league, then sell him then. Not sure how much demand there would be to pay anything other than a nominal fee for the other 3 with less than 6 months on their deals.

@Paul Mani (if im not blocked) which League 1 right back do you have in mind that is of equivalent quality to Nyambe for a couple of hundred grand?

Or is it an oversimplification based on Pickering? Surely we should also go and get a Dack quality attacking midfielder for a 6 figure fee from the same league if its that easy?

Edun, Pickering and Dack show it is possible 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The secret (controllable) is recruitment.

You can’t make people sign contracts and those on here suggesting we should simply break our wage structure for any of the three mentioned, thus opening the floodgates for every bog standard player to ask for improved terms is ludicrous. The losses extrapolated over contract periods would far outweigh any potential value of the likes of RN, JR and DL.

I agree we can't be over paying for players who arent worth it

RN can be replaced for a few hundred grand (think Harry Pickering) or a good pre contract.

Maybe look at Kenny from Everton or Edwards from Stoke. 

DL is pretty much in the same boat imo. Maybe a million!to replace him.

John Souttar seems to be the one we want. 

Then there’s Rothwell, who is undoubtedly talented if a little (very) inconsistent. He’s the one with potential to be worth the most…but I wouldn’t smash my wage structure for him….Buckley will end up in that role for Rovers and is already a superior footballer minus Rothwell physical attributes. Dack and Butterworth will fight it out for the advanced role the Buckley currently fills.

getting Rothwell tied down to a new contract is a must for me.

BBD is the conundrum now. His form and potential value means it may be worth offering an exceptional deal. The possibility of promotion also applies pressure on the situation.

If someone turns up with £25m for BBD we HAVE to take it imo. The guy has played 15-20 good games in 3yrs. If we sell him then I’d make some more signings - Hedges (small fee) and Rhys Healy (7m) prob sort the whole lot for £10m.

Its seems that the asking price is 20 million pounds and I wouldn't sell in January at all. Has 18 months left on his contract. 

I think we sign Hedges on a pre contract for next season. 

But we need to find a replacement for Brereton and they are players out there we should be looking at to sign next summer whether its Rhys Healey or Cauley Woodrow or Josh Maja or Ross Stewart or Viktor Gyokeres or Kevin Nisbet, 

We freshen up in Jan with a winger on loan (for Poveda) plus maybe Josh Maia (loan with option to buy) in the summer.

Yes we need a forward in January and possible cover at right back/wing back if JRC isn't going to be fit. Maybe more if we need to sign replacements for players sold

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree we can't be over paying for players who arent worth it

Maybe look at Kenny from Everton or Edwards from Stoke. 

John Souttar seems to be the one we want. 

getting Rothwell tied down to a new contract is a must for me.

Its seems that the asking price is 20 million pounds and I wouldn't sell in January at all. Has 18 months left on his contract. 

I think we sign Hedges on a pre contract for next season. 

But we need to find a replacement for Brereton and they are players out there we should be looking at to sign next summer whether its Rhys Healey or Cauley Woodrow or Josh Maja or Ross Stewart or Viktor Gyokeres or Kevin Nisbet, 

Yes we need a forward in January and possible cover at right back/wing back if JRC isn't going to be fit. Maybe more if we need to sign replacements for players sold

Or John Travolta ?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Possible of course, Edun less so as he is yet to convince or establish himself at Championship level. Pickering is a different player to Nyambe but seems a shrewd addition, but there will be far more examples of players unable to make that step up. Also Pickering did have to acclimatise which any replacement would have to do. 

To suggest that we could replace Nyambe for a couple of hundred grand from the League 1 seems a hell of an oversimplification especially without a name of someone if there is someone specific. 

Also, if it was that easy, anyone interested in Nyambe would surely cut out the middle man and do that themselves!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is a bit early with Pickering, and definitely too early with Edun (I'm optimistic about him though), to say that.

The flip side also, Bell shows how easy it is to get it totally wrong. Was supposedly the best LB in League One, cost a few hundred grand, was tosh. Smallwood also showed the step up isn't easy.

But yes it's possible. Likely, different story. Probably about a 50-50 return.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure how much demand there would be to pay anything other than a nominal fee for the other 3 with less than 6 months on their deals.

All depends what interest they had and what the agents are saying to them. 

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

(if im not blocked) which League 1 right back do you have in mind that is of equivalent quality to Nyambe for a couple of hundred grand?

we aren't scouts are we but out scouting department should be able to find a replacement for Nyambe whether its a player from England or Scotland or Ireland or from overseas. 

There are some good attacking players in League 1 and you seems us linked with 2 players from there in Harness from Portsmouth and Scully from Lincoln. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Pickering is a different player to Nyambe

If Nyambe had Pickering attacking instincts He would have scored that chance yesterday instead he let the ball hit him.  

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

All depends what interest they had and what the agents are saying to them. 

we aren't scouts are we but out scouting department should be able to find a replacement for Nyambe whether its a player from England or Scotland or Ireland or from overseas. 

There are some good attacking players in League 1 and you seems us linked with 2 players from there in Harness from Portsmouth and Scully from Lincoln. 

If Nyambe had Pickering attacking instincts He would have scored that chance yesterday instead he let the ball hit him.  

These players linked will mainly just be newspaper gossip that will never materialise.

I don't doubt that there are good players in League 1 but selling key players in January would be massively counterproductive and send out totally the wrong message considering our current league position, I would be very unhappy if that was to happen.

I also think that the idea that we could easily replace Nyambe by signing a player for a couple of hundred grand from League 1 seems a naive and over simplistic suggestion. And no name was specified as to who this mystery player is/could be.

Pickering and Nyambe are both 2 good and totally different full backs who ideally would both stay at the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

These players linked will mainly just be newspaper gossip that will never materialise

Clearly Rovers scouts have been at these clubs games and looking at these players. These links have been online. 

I don't doubt that there are good players in League 1 but selling key players in January would be massively counterproductive and send out totally the wrong message considering our current league position, I would be very unhappy if that was to happen.

Well should we let Lenihan and Nyambe leave for nothing and then replace them in the January. If they want to be here long term and then they have a month to sign these new improve contracts. Players have to decide to stick with Rovers and twist and take that risk at other club. 

I also think that the idea that we could easily replace Nyambe by signing a player for a couple of hundred grand from League 1 seems a naive and over simplistic suggestion. And no name was specified as to who this mystery player is/could be.

Nyambe can be replace. not sure he suits this wing back role tbh and his final ball isn't good enough. I have suggested 2 players who could replace him. 

Can't named to many right backs in league 1 tbh but there will be players from the UK and Ireland we will be scouting. 

Pickering and Nyambe are both 2 good and totally different full backs who ideally would both stay at the club.

Pickering still have 3 and half years on his contract. 

Nyambe has been offered a new improve contract now for months and still won't sign it. 

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm hoping if we sustain this run through December a combination of the players feeling inclined to stay and Venkys being inclined to spend will see all the key players sign.

Wishful thinking maybe, but we'll see.

Whether it happens or not is another thing. But we've certainly done ourselves no harm in the negotiations with our current league position.

Lots of discussion about possible offers being made, reasons why new contracts haven't been signed, who's to blame etc etc.

At the end of the day, the ball is in the players' court. They'd be stupid to sign the contracts now IMO, as they might still get better offers, either from the Rovers or from elsewhere

As an analogy, if I put my house up for sale and someone meets the asking price on day 1, do I accept said offer there and then? No, I wouldn't. I'd hang fire in the hope that I get an even better offer.

I think the players are in a similar position. They have offers on the table from the Rovers, but are happy to wait until the summer before making a decision.

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clearly Rovers scouts have been at these clubs games and looking at these players. These links have been online. 

Well should we let Lenihan and Nyambe leave for nothing and then replace them in the January. If they want to be here long term and then they have a month to sign these new improve contracts. Players have to decide to stick with Rovers and twist and take that risk at other club. 

Nyambe can be replace. not sure he suits this wing back role tbh and his final ball isn't good enough. I have suggested 2 players who could replace him. 

Can't named to many right backs in league 1 tbh but there will be players from the UK and Ireland we will be scouting. 

Pickering still have 3 and half years on his contract. 

Nyambe has been offered a new improve contract now for months and still won't sign it. 

The thing is that I cannot see teams offering reasonable amounts for players that they know will be out of contract in 6 time and available for free.

We would IMO need to be offered massively over their current valuations in order to justify selling and leaving a huge hole in an already small squad at such a critical time of a season that has started well.

The fact that there has been negotiations with all of these players suggest that there is at least some willingness and some consideration in regards to them being willing to stay. Ultimately Nyambe signed his last contract prior to making himself an established and key member of our starting 11, Rothwell signed his last contract signing from League 1 Oxford initially as a squad player, and Lenihan has become captain and critical to us since his last contract. The first 2 should be near the top of our wage bill, and our captain should be paid as much as anyone really. The idea that they are all expecting to "smash our wage structure" seems to be the easy go to assumption but I am very sceptical that it is the case. But even if its assumed that they wont sign a new deal, they should only be allowed to leave in January if we get really high bids due to the gaps they will leave mid season.

• Like 4

We would IMO need to be offered massively over their current valuations in order to justify selling and leaving a huge hole in an already small squad at such a critical time of a season that has started well.

Small squad? we have 24 man squad that has performed together so far and seems to have an excellent team spirit and togetherness. 

I would sell any of the 3 players if they refuse to sign new contracts by 1st of January and we can get in replacements we want for them.  

The fact that there has been negotiations with all of these players suggest that there is at least some willingness and some consideration in regards to them being willing to stay. Ultimately Nyambe signed his last contract prior to making himself an established and key member of our starting 11, Rothwell signed his last contract signing from League 1 Oxford initially as a squad player, and Lenihan has become captain and critical to us since his last contract. The first 2 should be near the top of our wage bill, and our captain should be paid as much as anyone really.

we have been in contact and offered them new improve terms for ages now and surely they have to be cut off point? 

I don't think Nyambe should be near top of our wage bill but offer of 8k a week is a very decent offer and improvement on his current wages. Rothwell around 10 to 12 k a week and Lenihan around 15 k should be the tops of the wages we should be paying any of them. 

But even if its assumed that they wont sign a new deal, they should only be allowed to leave in January if we get really high bids due to the gaps they will leave mid season.

gaps? not if we signed their replacements before we sell them

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would sell any of the 3 players if they refuse to sign new contracts by 1st of January and we can get in replacements we want for them.  

I wouldn't, Chaddy.

What we'd get for them money wise in January is negligible. Keeping hold of them could be the difference between a top 6 place or not. It's not as if they've downed tools or anything, in fact quite the opposite. Plus, they may well still re-sign anyway come summer.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Nowt as strange as football fans......

We site 4th in Championship, the side is playing well and posters want to sell players in January? Are you mad?

We keep this side together at all costs, we add to the squad in January, lets hope some of that Armstrong money actually reaches Mowbray, it could make the difference.

The problem we're going to have is glaringly obvious, we have a threadbare squad, one of two key lengthy injuries and we're in trouble, lets hope we stay clear of that scenario. 

Buy a couple of quality additions and keep the current squad together, we could have a chance of a playoff place.

First time I've agreed with you in a while Gav, but spot on my friend.

👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Small squad? we have 24 man squad that has performed together so far and seems to have an excellent team spirit and togetherness. 

we have been in contact and offered them new improve terms for ages now and surely they have to be cut off point? 

I don't think Nyambe should be near top of our wage bill but offer of 8k a week is a very decent offer and improvement on his current wages. Rothwell around 10 to 12 k a week and Lenihan around 15 k should be the tops of the wages we should be paying any of them. 

gaps? not if we signed their replacements before we sell them

Mowbray has himself admitted that the squad isn't particularly deep. I'm guessing that your 24 includes the likes of Clarkson, Butterworth, Carter, Magloire, Rankin Costello who is made of glass etc. But I mean more in terms of massively reducing the quality of our team rather than the squad when we are in such a good league position.

The point is more that to lose any if not numerous of Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell and Brereton in January would massively deplete us as individual bits of business, I don't think that can be argued against. As I said, do I think that teams will offer decent money (that we can't turn down regardless of league position) knowing that they can have those players for free (beside Brereton, slightly different situation but we still shouldn't sell in January unless we get an extortionate bid) in the summer? Almost certainly not. And the cost to us of losing those key players in January means that to justify a sale, we have to charge a premium.

Ideally, we can offer reasonable terms to get them to sign, that is what we want. The wage guesses are purely speculative, we don't know what those players are on or how much they have been offered. Also, I presume that any purchases would have to be funded by those sales so could not be brought in prior to our players leaving.

But if we cannot afford them, with seemingly the taps in India having been turned off. Then I do get that we may need to be slightly open minded towards a sale. But should we actively court interest? No and if we don't get bids above the going rate, then I know it isnt ideal but they will have to run.

I think your idea that we can in January receive suitable bids for those 3 players, that our club is organised enough and players are willing to be lined up waiting to sign, that those players coming in are of equal quality and that changing 3 key players mid season will not cause any disruption to an up to now successful season is living in a fairytale. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I wouldn't, Chaddy.

What we'd get for them money wise in January is negligible. Keeping hold of them could be the difference between a top 6 place or not. It's not as if they've downed tools or anything, in fact quite the opposite. Plus, they may well still re-sign anyway come summer.

Yep, might aswell hold on to BBD for 18 months and get his goals...we certainly won't get any money to spend....that's if we do have this season extension which is taking it's time to get triggered.

On 28/11/2021 at 06:15, Paul Mani said:

The secret (controllable) is recruitment.

You can’t make people sign contracts and those on here suggesting we should simply break our wage structure for any of the three mentioned, thus opening the floodgates for every bog standard player to ask for improved terms is ludicrous. The losses extrapolated over contract periods would far outweigh any potential value of the likes of RN, JR and DL.

RN can be replaced for a few hundred grand (think Harry Pickering) or a good pre contract. DL is pretty much in the same boat imo. Maybe a million!to replace him. Then there’s Rothwell, who is undoubtedly talented if a little (very) inconsistent. He’s the one with potential to be worth the most…but I wouldn’t smash my wage structure for him….Buckley will end up in that role for Rovers and is already a superior footballer minus Rothwell physical attributes. Dack and Butterworth will fight it out for the advanced role the Buckley currently fills.

BBD is the conundrum now. His form and potential value means it may be worth offering an exceptional deal. The possibility of promotion also applies pressure on the situation.

Ideal world, they all put pen to paper on new deals. We freshen up in Jan with a winger on loan (for Poveda) plus maybe Josh Maia (loan with option to buy) in the summer.

If non re-sign I’d push like mad to sell RN and DL, who are easily replaceable RB (£500k from league 1), John Souttar (small fee). Then let JR run his contract down and try to get promoted.

If someone turns up with £25m for BBD we HAVE to take it imo. The guy has played 15-20 good games in 3yrs. If we sell him then I’d make some more signings - Hedges (small fee) and Rhys Healy (7m) prob sort the whole lot for £10m.

The key is to have the deals lined up. Fingers crossed we have!

Hi Paul, (apologies if that isn't your actual name) you didn't answer my question from last week about how much you think we'd actually get  for DL RN and JR if they were sold in Jan with only 6 months left on their contracts.

Would you care to enlighten us?

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hi Paul, (apologies if that isn't your actual name) you didn't answer my question from last week about how much you think we'd actually get  for DL RN and JR if they were sold in Jan with only 6 months left on their contracts.

Would you care to enlighten us?

How are any us meant to know the answer to that question when it depends on a number of different factors like what we want, what the selling wants and player wages demands/agent fee. 

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You're miles out on Nyambe and Rothwell chaddy. If that's all we've offered them then it's no wonder they haven't re-signed.

15k p.w. is probably a bit more like it for Lenihan but I'd imagine he'll want a bit more - even Downing was on £15k p.w. in his first season here.

• Like 1