BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers identity Marcus Harness as Poveda's replacement 

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/blackburn-marcus-harness-portsmouth-leeds-replacement

He was one of the ones mentioned in the LT article the other day, along with Hedges, Ogbene and Scully: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19731448.wingers-linked-blackburn-rovers-wait-ian-poveda-injury-news/

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He was one of the ones mentioned in the LT article the other day, along with Hedges, Ogbene and Scully: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19731448.wingers-linked-blackburn-rovers-wait-ian-poveda-injury-news/

it`s definately the right direction to go,ollie watkins and jamie vardy came from the depths of the football league and they`ve  turned out alright

will povedo now go back to leeds for his recovery??

Feel for Poveda.  While most of his minutes were spent walking about the pitch as if he didn't care, no one deserves an injury like that. I've rewatched it now and can't help but feel it was intentional.  Don't think the intent was to break a leg, but certainly took the opportunity to inflict harm with the full force of his body.  Dirty play!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s definately the right direction to go,ollie watkins and jamie vardy came from the depths of the football league and they`ve  turned out alright

will povedo now go back to leeds for his recovery??

I would have thought so, given how bad the injury now appears to be. But on that front I'm slightly concerned by TM's comments of (direct quote): 'We'll await what Leeds want to do with him'. In the same sentence as saying 'it will be a considerable amount of time to recover'. Unless we don't have a termination option (which is stupid), or our loan contribution is only about 1k a week (unlikely), or the injury only means he is out til say February (unlikely based on what they've said), I can't see any reason we should be leaving it up to Leeds. The loan should be ended in January, or earlier if that's a possibility. It's not like he has had an Elliott style contribution that might be worth hanging on to see. Until the Sheffield United game he had been a liability if anything.

Really interesting read this morning in the LT. The bit about a potential ‘surprise’ omission from the team as the player is worried they might get injured suggests either Lenihan or BBD have a move lined up in January. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Nyambe or Rothwell didn’t start…

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The Ogbene one seems to be more that whoever wrote the article links him to us, as in we should look at him 

23 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Really interesting read this morning in the LT. The bit about a potential ‘surprise’ omission from the team as the player is worried they might get injured suggests either Lenihan or BBD have a move lined up in January. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Nyambe or Rothwell didn’t start…

Whats the quote? 

23 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

All 3 want out Paul.  Non are talking to the Club.  Our only option is to maximise value and look for replacements.  A lot point the finger of blame at the Club but I believe that is unfair in these cases.  We have always been a trading / selling Club and when someone is determined to leave the best we can do is maximise the fee we receive,

The finger always gets pointed by the club towards the players when this happens in this era. Fact is some of these should have been sorted a long time ago when they are happy to sign before other factors come into play.

Truth will be in some cases both sides have played silly buggers but losing your core good players for next to nothing is poor.

No getting away from it and it will probably derail the most promising season in a while. Well done one and all, this club is run by self serving ametuers.

We are being taken for mugs again in prep for the next Waggot/Mopwbray lead downgrade.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

Can’t remember Travis ever getting dropped. The games he missed was due to injuries. Nyambe definitely has been made the scapegoat by Mowbray. He’s never received the public backing by Mowbray.

Early on, shortly after he had made the forced breakthrough.  He was dripped a few times, keeping his place when he started going sideways and back more than his usual turn and look forward.  Mowbaryized.

17 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

All 3 want out Paul.  Non are talking to the Club.  Our only option is to maximise value and look for replacements.  A lot point the finger of blame at the Club but I believe that is unfair in these cases.  We have always been a trading / selling Club and when someone is determined to leave the best we can do is maximise the fee we receive,

That may or may not be correct although I challenge anyone to name me a club other than perhaps petrol/gas fuelled Chelsea and City that aren't trading/selling clubs.

Lets not make out that we are a special case or that we are up against things any more than anyone else.

What we are talking about with these lads isn't conventional trading/selling. It is being forced into selling mid-season because negligence and mismanagement has put us in a position where we have no choice.

There also needs to be an examination of why such players would be 'determined' to leave this club. With the possible exception of Brereton, and I still think clubs will want to see him maintain his form before moving for him, none of these players are going to get offers from clubs in higher or better divisions. The likes of Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell will be going to other Championship clubs.

These are players who have been here since they were boys or in the case of Rothwell we gave the opportunity to move from League One to a higher division no doubt on substantially better money than he was on at Oxford. It certainly alarms me that these players would be 'determined' to leave Rovers whilst we are in a healthy league position IF we are trying to keep them here. Just what do players really think of this place if someone like Lenihan is 'determined' to get out of here and move to another Championship club when he has been here all his career, we have developed and made into our captain and pillar of our team? It tells me there is something very wrong behind the scenes.

Of course we will get all the usual stuff about greedy agents and players demanding too much money and how poor old Rovers can't meet those demands. But this is a club somehow losing £20 million a year so I don't accept that somewhere in that astronomical amount of money there isn't scope to pay these players what is needed. Since last season about £100,000 a week must have gone from the wage bill with the departures of last summer so paying these lads a few grand a week more will not change the picture.

I predicted several months ago that as January approached we would get the usual shenanigans of players going missing, being dropped and mucking around and sounds like that is now starting to happen.

A lot of people will be deceived by a reasonable run of form and decent league position and think none of this matters or we can simply dip into the market and replace these lads no problem. Longer term it will be a problem especially if it is true there are FFP issues because losing these lads for a pittance is not in keeping with a club managing FFP effectively.

• Like 3

My prediction for the January window:

- Intense planning and John Park working every hour of the day to line up good players

- There's a budget if the right people come available butt we won't spend for the fun of it

- Claims that if players are sold those proceeds will be reinvested and they will be replaced

- At least one of Rothwell, Nyambe or Brereton sold.

- No money spent on replacements.

- Shuffle the deck on loans with Poveda going back and similar coming in the other way

- Player(s) at Brockhall on deadline day with his suitcases ready to sign but for various reasons doesn't but conveniently that players name gets leaked to the local media and therefore satisfies supporters that efforts were being made yet unsuccessfully.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

Interesting - SW suggested that RN and JR were happy to stay and it was agents trying to get more money and that it was DL who wanted a PL move.

If they won’t sign I’d honestly push all three out into the ressy’s and sell in January to anyone who’ll have them. Nyambe could be replaced for a few of hundred grand in League 1 (See Pickering signing), Rothwell fluctuates between genius and awful and I think Buckley will have more and more consistent impact in there and you could argue that Ayala and maybe Wharton at full fitness are better than Lenihan.

Interesting that we’re talking about interest in BBD though. He’d be hard to replace now…even with a £10m budget! 

18 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Early on, shortly after he had made the forced breakthrough.  He was dripped a few times, keeping his place when he started going sideways and back more than his usual turn and look forward.  Mowbaryized.

That’s very selective thinking. Travis has established himself as a solid Championship midfielder. I don’t remember him looking like he was capable of ‘better’ than that. Don’t think it’s fair to suggest he’s been held back.

I think Mowbray has done reasonably well with developing players. There are always going to be some players who fail to reach their potential (arguably Chapman) but Dolan, Armstrong, Brereton, Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell, Lenihan, Nyambe, Wharton, Buckley and JRC have all improved under Mowbray.

There are plenty of sticks to bear TM with, but not sure this is one of them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Interesting - SW suggested that RN and JR were happy to stay and it was agents trying to get more money and that it was DL who wanted a PL move.

If they won’t sign I’d honestly push all three out into the ressy’s and sell in January to anyone who’ll have them. Nyambe could be replaced for a few of hundred grand in League 1 (See Pickering signing), Rothwell fluctuates between genius and awful and I think Buckley will have more and more consistent impact in there and you could argue that Ayala and maybe Wharton at full fitness are better than Lenihan.

Interesting that we’re talking about interest in BBD though. He’d be hard to replace now…even with a £10m budget! 

If we get offered 25 million for him, you would think financially it could be the most we get for him. 

He is a huge player for us though 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

As if we have the depth of squad to stick 3 key first teamers in the reserve prior to any sale.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Brereton will pocket all that.  Free agent soon.

We have a years option.Accept it.

He will not be leaving on a free transfer, leaving yes most likely but for a fee.

You keep repeating he will leave on a free so i presume you really believe that.

Il bet £100 with you that he wont leave on a free transfer?

In January 2018, Rovers wanted to sign Bell immediately rather than wait for his contract to expire later that year, so that he could boost the squad for thr promotion campaign. 

I'm guessing that if Fulham and Bournemouth run away with automatic promotion, and there's less need to gamble in that way, the already very limited transfer fee market for Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe recedes and they're more likely to leave for nothing or a nominal sum. Even more so as they haven't been playing at the top of their games consistently.