BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Even before he turned Chilean, Ben othered something, an outlet if nothing else. Playing Gally is like playing with ten men most of the time. So many times attacks and especially counter attacks break down as soon as he gets the ball. 

Not sure I agree with that, and if you ask a lot of the posters here (go see the BB thread 12 months ago) you’ll see words to the effect of “can’t trap a bag of sand”, “is he even a footballer?” “Have we signed a dud…”

We haven’t got anywhere near the value for him yet, I think we’d agree on that - but perhaps a more confident Gallagher, with a run of games without injury; might be more of an asset.

58 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Nixon reckons we’re back in for Burke at Sheff Utd.

Hopefully it’s rubbish as it’s Nixon, but IF true, then I’d hoped we had much better lined up this time round!!!

I was fan of Burke in his early career but in the last few years his career has stalled. Probably down to moving to WBA and where managers there didn't probably used him. 

When you sit back and look at how we play, Burke would fit our system and style of play. He is very different player to Maja, and Would Maja fit how we play and have the work rate need for our team. I

Edited by chaddyrovers

I love players with pace, it means the opposition have to sit deeper. I think Burke looks quite a threatening player, I could see him as a wide forward.  In saying that I could only see him coming in to replace Khadra or Brereton not as well as, unless the plan is to move Big Ben into the middle?

Burke---- Brereton ---- Khadra  OR   Brereton--- Gallagher --- Burke

I'd like to keep Khadra and sign Burke if possible.  He would give us quite a few options up top, especially if we can keep hold of Khadra.

Butterworth and Dolan biting at their heels then the younger lads coming through in Mcbride and Burns coming through.

We'd have an abudance of options moving forwards.

Makes me think I would rather see us allocate such funds towards keeping hold of the quality we already ahve...

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

People said the exact thing about a guy who just scored 20 goals in 23 appearances.

They also said the same thing before he’d had a consistent run of games.

They also said the same when he was playing out of position.

You're surely  not suggesting we take a chance with another player who might come good in 3 years time are you?

We want to get promoted this season don't we?

All those things that people said about Brereton were true at the time. For almost 3 years he was hopeless.

Now if the point of this club is to wallow in the bottom half of the Championship forever while paying large sums for players who can't contribute for a long time, then by all means sign another Brereton.

Good for the owners---bugger all use to us. Clubs like UTD and Liverpool can operate this way but I'd suggest we can't.

Not if we want the rest of the fans to depart.

• Like 1

The thing is the way we play its not a traditional two up top when we lead our strikers move wider leaving Buckley almost as a false 9 this is why when gally is brought on it shows that he's not a wide man he battles and fights but it's not his skill set. If we were to sign Burke this would mean having him to bring on for khadra and we could use gally when not leading as part of a more traditional front two.

34 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I love players with pace, it means the opposition have to sit deeper. I think Burke looks quite a threatening player, I could see him as a wide forward.  In saying that I could only see him coming in to replace Khadra or Brereton not as well as, unless the plan is to move Big Ben into the middle?

Burke---- Brereton ---- Khadra  OR   Brereton--- Gallagher --- Burke

I'd like to keep Khadra and sign Burke if possible.  He would give us quite a few options up top, especially if we can keep hold of Khadra.

Butterworth and Dolan biting at their heels then the younger lads coming through in Mcbride and Burns coming through.

We'd have an abudance of options moving forwards.

Makes me think I would rather see us allocate such funds towards keeping hold of the quality we already ahve...

Burns has gone out on loan.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 47er said:

You're surely  not suggesting we take a chance with another player who might come good in 3 years time are you?

We want to get promoted this season don't we?

All those things that people said about Brereton were true at the time. For almost 3 years he was hopeless.

Now if the point of this club is to wallow in the bottom half of the Championship forever while paying large sums for players who can't contribute for a long time, then by all means sign another Brereton.

Good for the owners---bugger all use to us. Clubs like UTD and Liverpool can operate this way but I'd suggest we can't.

Not if we want the rest of the fans to depart.

We’ve already taken the chance, 5 million of them. I don’t think we could argue that letting him go for nothing is a good idea.

As for BB - those who said he was “hopeless” contributed to his lack of confidence, in my opinion of course.

To expect a 19 year old to light up the team, in a new position, with fleeting appearances - was a ridiculous expectation.

Confidence doesn’t change a players technical ability, but it will impact decision making. Fill Gally with confidence by playing him in a more a suitable role… throw in some luck with injuries and a few goals….

Could easily be as much as an asset as Ben is now, and as Armstrong before.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, JBiz said:

We’ve already taken the chance, 5 million of them. I don’t think we could argue that letting him go for nothing is a good idea.

As for BB - those who said he was “hopeless” contributed to his lack of confidence, in my opinion of course.

To expect a 19 year old to light up the team, in a new position, with fleeting appearances - was a ridiculous expectation.

Confidence doesn’t change a players technical ability, but it will impact decision making. Fill Gally with confidence by playing him in a more a suitable role… throw in some luck with injuries and a few goals….

Could easily be as much as an asset as Ben is now, and as Armstrong before.

Except, he doesn’t read these boards and I never saw any comments of that ilk aimed at him on socials, so that seems unlikely, to be fair.

If he did read these boards, it definitely would have been mentioned in an interview with TM. He’s previously been very quick to mention people’s opinions on social media and I’m sure he’d have been no different with that either.

Remember that Rich Sharpe article where he questioned how to get more out of Gallagher just how sensitive the players got? If there was genuine knowledge of posts on here, the players would have been fuming!

At matches, nobody wanted BBD to score more than the fans, his support was incredible then! Unless you believe that Birmingham away bullshit, which I most definitely don’t.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

When I think about if a striker can step up to a league the question I always ask is do they have skill, pace or strength to worry a defender at that level.

For me both Armstrong and Brereton look risky as they aren't dominant in any of those areas against Prem quality imo. Someone like Ivan Toney, Mitrovic or Ollie Watkins look a lot more complete imo.

Even with his Ronaldo/Messi like goal tally this year (20 in 24 is absolutely ridiculous) I can see a lot of pause from Prem sides before dropping £20m+ on Brereton. He just isn't quick or strong enough to seem really convincing, and his technique is way below Prem standard.

The gap is so big, even Mitrovic struggles every time he makes the step up. Toney has been pretty quiet aside from a few penalties. It is such a risk.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was fan of Burke in his early career but in the last few years his career has stalled. Probably down to moving to WBA and where managers there didn't probably used him. 

When you sit back and look at how we play, Burke would fit our system and style of play. He is very different player to Maja, and Would Maja fit how we play and have the work rate need for our team. I

Burke is shit, hopefully Nixon is characteristically wrong.

We are reliant on Brereton for goals at the moment, the likes of Khadra, Gallagher and Dolan bring other things and will chip in, but any new signing needs to be able to give us extra goal power. What does Burke give us that those 3 don't? Nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBiz said:

People said the exact thing about a guy who just scored 20 goals in 23 appearances.

Perhaps it’s better to be open minded about what SG can achieve if he’s given a fair crack, in his best position, in hope that he won’t be picking up any more niggling injuries.

Absolutely!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Except, he doesn’t read these boards and I never saw any comments of that ilk aimed at him on socials, so that seems unlikely, to be fair.

If he did read these boards, it definitely would have been mentioned in an interview with TM. He’s previously been very quick to mention people’s opinions on social media and I’m sure he’d have been no different with that either.

Remember that Rich Sharpe article where he questioned how to get more out of Gallagher just how sensitive the players got? If there was genuine knowledge of posts on here, the players would have been fuming!

At matches, nobody wanted BBD to score more than the fans, his support was incredible then! Unless you believe that Birmingham away bullshit, which I most definitely don’t.

I remember people behind you and me shouting the odds at him, first season, after a substitute appearance.

Audible gasps, “7 million?”

Also, players do read that stuff - especially the younger players, so it would take more than just “TM never said it” for me to believe that the comments here, on Twitter, on FB, didn’t have some impact.

Each to their own assertion.

Ah yes, back to slagging the fans off.

He didnt look up to much for 2 years and was average in the third. People commented as such on an internet messageboard. Throw in a line about "audible gasps" and we have the argument about those pesky fans.

Brereton has always been well supported in the stadium. End of.

• Like 4

I could see Burke fitting into our system. He's a powerful runner and very direct so would suit a counter attacking team. I don't know how he is defensively though. If he had the work rate then I think he'd be pretty effective and add a little more depth which we are sorely lacking. With our current system from my limited knowledge of him he feels like a round peg in a round hole. A loan with an option would be good as I wouldn't be breaking the bank to bring him, but at the same time if he did the business we don't want Sheffield United holding us over a barrel in 6 months time, when as it stands they clearly have no interest in the player. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He didnt look up to much for 2 years and was average in the third. People commented as such on an internet messageboard. Throw in a line about "audible gasps" and we have the argument about those pesky fans.

How is suggesting certain comments and reactions impacted a player;

”blaming the fans”

Also, your experience ain’t fact RF. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely hasn't, end of

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It isnt end of.Sick of hearing you say this.

Nobody is saying the majority gave him stick.But me and others have heard him getting abuse and unfair stick.

So stop saying we are lieing.I saw and heard it on more than one occasion

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

Perhaps it’s better to be open minded about what SG can achieve if he’s given a fair crack, in his best position, in hope that he won’t be picking up any more niggling injuries.

I AM open minded abiut what he might achieve, just if the opinion that the contract be offered after he had achieved some if it.  Not before.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Even before he turned Chilean, Ben othered something, an outlet if nothing else. Playing Gally is like playing with ten men most of the time. So many times attacks and especially counter attacks break down as soon as he gets the ball. 

Is it just you and I that see that?

I will give up on this subject now, I really hope it works out and I am proven very wrong.  I also hope Tony resists the urge to stuff him in the line up as soon as he can.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1