BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Nyambe is an average Championship full back. I doubt he'd be greatly missed if he left. There are better players out there, that are attainable. 

go on then give us some examples of these better attainable players ?

• Like 3

Nyambe is a key part of one of the best championship defences and an academy graduate with 150 appearances for the club. By the sounds of it he has been relatively under paid, as most of our academy graduates are, compared to the other players in the squad. I would love him to sign but can understand his probably frustration at prior contracts and some of the messing around that Mowbray (Gallagher at right back) did at times. 

If we want to forensically analyse whether he is value for money compared to other players in the league I believe he is every day of the week. Bloody hell,  if we want to start discussing wasting money I can think of other players in this squad, and past ones, who cost us far more to sign, and were paid a lot more to boot, who offered far less. 

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, lraC said:

Exactly, yet Roverite seems to want to blame Nayambe, for almost every goal we have conceded, when he is playing.

Does the club really have "analysts"/people, who push Waggott's message on social media? I have heard it said many times, but I don't know for certain.

If it had already been decided that RN was leaving the club, do you think we should expect to see him being talked down on this site?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

As it stands and as I understand it he has been offered a significant increase in salary, some may suggest double what he is currently on, so on that basis Rovers can easily afford him, he chooses via his representative not to sign it. The suggestion Rovers cannot afford him are wrong in that aspect. Furthermore, looking across the Championship wage spectrum the offer would seem to be above average suggesting only a couple of teams have the money to beat Rovers wage wise. In addition the big three - Fulham, WBA and Bournemouth all have better players in that position and have not sought to sign him, even less chance as 2 out of the 3 will be promoted. RN is not a Premiership defender yet so I beg the question where does he think he will get a better playing opportunity?

That isn't how affording things works. Whatever we are offering, if he isn't signing it and is insisting on more, we can't afford him. Regardless of how much a rise it is. Unless, as I said, there are non-financial reasons for him leaving.

Your comparison to other clubs in the league is bizarre, how can it be that only a couple of teams in the league have the money to beat us when we aren't close to top 3 for wage bill? I can't find the latest figures but we tend to rank somewhere around 12-15th if I recall, for weekly wage bill. It's our disproportionate wage bill that puts us in enough FFP trouble that we had to reinvest almost nothing from what must have been at least 10 million after Newcastle got their cut, even with a training ground sale exercise to balance the books.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There’s a difference between not being able to afford him and somebody demanding more than they are worth 

None of us really know the offer on the table but we do know that a lot of clubs have players unwilling to sign new contracts. We also know the typical advice from agents is to sit tight and wait in the current climate 

There isn't.

If you want to buy a piece of art I made, and you offer £1,000 but I'm insisting on £10,000, you can't afford it. It doesn't matter if the piece of art is crap or overpriced, you still can't afford it. Because you're not willing to pay what it will cost.

I'm not sure what people are struggling with here. As things stand, if the contract rebels are refusing to sign for financial reasons rather than football ones, we cannot afford them at this point in time. Whether they change their minds in absence of a better offer and sign down the line is immaterial, right now we CANNOT afford their wage demands. If they sign it in the summer, then in the summer we will be able to afford them. It's very simple. I don't want to discuss blindingly obvious issues of semantics anymore so I'm going to try to leave it there.

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

I think some people are missing a big part of the picture here. Given that we are on a promotion run with potential for these players to be in the Premier League next year, with all of the filthy lucre it brings, it would not be in their best interests to sign a contract tieing them to a Championship level wage for the next couple of years. 

That's what promotion wage rise clauses are for though.

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

I think some people are missing a big part of the picture here. Given that we are on a promotion run with potential for these players to be in the Premier League next year, with all of the filthy lucre it brings, it would not be in their best interests to sign a contract tieing them to a Championship level wage for the next couple of years. 

I'm sure any contracts have promotion wage rises included just like relegation reductions. Also don't forget the big one off bonuses allegedly being dangled.

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

No one is having a go at a team member, I have a view and opinion. if you disagree that’s your opinion

We can't afford to give Nyambe the pay rise he seeks but we can afford to buy a better player (in your view) for a sizeable fee and give him a pay deal that will satisfy him?

Righto!!!!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

We can't afford to give Nyambe the pay rise he seeks but we can afford to buy a better player (in your view) for a sizeable fee and give him a pay deal that will satisfy him?

Righto!!!!

Agreed.

I was also wondering how much it would cost to buy a ready made, experienced replacement for Lenihan? ...More or less than increasing his wage to a level, which would keep him at the club?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There isn't.

If you want to buy a piece of art I made, and you offer £1,000 but I'm insisting on £10,000, you can't afford it. It doesn't matter if the piece of art is crap or overpriced, you still can't afford it. Because you're not willing to pay what it will cost.

I'm not sure what people are struggling with here. As things stand, if the contract rebels are refusing to sign for financial reasons rather than football ones, we cannot afford them at this point in time. Whether they change their minds in absence of a better offer and sign down the line is immaterial, right now we CANNOT afford their wage demands. If they sign it in the summer, then in the summer we will be able to afford them. It's very simple. I don't want to discuss blindingly obvious issues of semantics anymore so I'm going to try to leave it there.

Not sure I agree with this.  I can afford to go to Northcote, but I refuse to pay the price based on perceived value.

What's the difference?

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Righto!!!!

Maybe we’re looking for a player who’s better suited to the role of right wing back. Tony’s been trying to play with three centre halves since the first game after we got relegated. He’s never had three centre halves who can play that system until now. In a back four I’d have Nyambe every time, he’s a tough opponent who can more than hold his own against most wingers in this div. One on one he’s hard to get the better of and not many will beat him in a foot race.

In a back five you need more creativity out wide, your wing backs have to be an attacking outlet. Much as he tries that’s not Nyambe’s strong point. He’s got the legs to get up and down but in all the years he’s played for us very rarely has that led to anything.

I like to see the lad stay but if he wants to leave he goes with my best wishes.

6 hours ago, El Tombro said:

West Ham in talks with a Brazilian striker, 'Gabigol'. Hopefully that removes their interest in 'Breregol'.

Lol

More worried about Newcastle, they might be desperate enough to offer 30m

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Lol

More worried about Newcastle, the might be desperate enough to offer 30m

Imo there’s only Newcastle we should worry about re BBD. They’ve got the cash to break Venkys.

Ive been saying for around 6 months now that DL and JR will potentially take some replacing externally (think Buckley could replace JR in time)….but genuinely I don’t think it’d take much over £500k to replace Nyambe. He’s a decent Championship player…Pickering is a better full back overall and these players can be found. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not sure I agree with this.  I can afford to go to Northcote, but I refuse to pay the price based on perceived value.

What's the difference?

Bit of a different sense of afford. I say I can't afford things all the time that I do have the money to do if we get literal. I said I couldn't afford a holiday to Florida with family a few years ago. I did physically have the money to do it, but it was a larger chunk of my balance than I was comfortable with at the time. In a similar way, Rovers have offered the highest wage they're comfortable with, supposedly anyway, so I'd describe that as not being able to afford in the same sense as my Florida holiday. They could offer more but it's not in their budget. Mowbray has even talked about it 'mortgaging the club' to pay them more. Which I think is a bit hyperbolic.

If you were a millionaire, I bet you'd be willing to pay the Northcote prices and barely think about it. Better response to it than the others have given though, their responses made no sense. I guess this is more like an ebay item than a regular service though. Only one person (club) will end up with it, whomever could afford the most out of their budget, relative to their desire for it I guess.

If you look at the dictionary definitions for afford, some come with 'without severe consequences' being a prerequisite, rather than just physically having the resources required. We could 'afford' Messi probably, with our billionaire owners, but there's not a cat in hell's chance they'd sanction it even if he wanted to come...because they can't afford it. As in, consequences for their overall wealth and the club's FFP, etc.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe we’re looking for a player who’s better suited to the role of right wing back. Tony’s been trying to play with three centre halves since the first game after we got relegated. He’s never had three centre halves who can play that system until now. In a back four I’d have Nyambe every time, he’s a tough opponent who can more than hold his own against most wingers in this div. One on one he’s hard to get the better of and not many will beat him in a foot race.

In a back five you need more creativity out wide, your wing backs have to be an attacking outlet. Much as he tries that’s not Nyambe’s strong point. He’s got the legs to get up and down but in all the years he’s played for us very rarely has that led to anything.

I like to see the lad stay but if he wants to leave he goes with my best wishes.

It doesn't seem that Tony wants rid of him though? Although he has seemed to pick on him somewhat in the past so you could

be right. If you are, then its not a question of money at all, as we were led to believe?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He should have tried bring one or two in then…”defenders are coming”

1 hour ago, 47er said:

It doesn't seem that Tony wants rid of him though? Although he has seemed to pick on him somewhat in the past so you could

be right. If you are, then its not a question of money at all, as we were led to believe?

less picking on him, more trying to give him the necessary push to up his game. each and every player at the club has a personality profile the manager assesses and utilises in his man management of the squad.. he wouldn't go out of his way to make comments about any player out of malice i don't think, i just don't think that's tony's personality, and would be completely detrimental to his aims as manager. perhaps out of frustration yes, but it's more likely just him trying to give the lads that extra push because something in that profile suggests it might just work. same goes for rothwell and look how much he's improved over the last couple of years or so.

Edited by nbdelboy

I'd offer the 3 out of contract one year extensions with 2 pledges.

1. If we go up, it automatically triggers a pay increase and further 3 years,

2. If we dont go up then they can leave in the summer for a fee. I'd agree their pay increase for that one year deal.

This way everyone is a winner

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'd offer the 3 out of contract one year extensions with 2 pledges.

1. If we go up, it automatically triggers a pay increase and further 3 years,

2. If we dont go up then they can leave in the summer for a fee. I'd agree their pay increase for that one year deal.

This way everyone is a winner

Unless they blow out a knee in 2 weeks and can’t get sold or the same contract their agent says the can get know 

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

There isn't.

If somebody tells me they want 10k for the piece of artwork that I feel is worth 1k then me not choosing to buy it doesn’t mean I can’t afford it. What it actually means is that I don’t believe it is value for money. I hold that value in a different regard to you 

When you purchase an asset you do so because of the value to you - whether material or otherwise. Someone may tell you it is worth that but really the only valuation that matters is the spender 

You might believe it blindingly obvious but I don’t think it is as clear cut. There’s a hell of a lot of players demanding money that the market cannot provide and Covid has really shown that up. Hence the vast amount of players sitting on contract offers throughout the leagues. In this case Ryan may think he’s worth breaking the managed wage structure we clearly have but our management team don’t think he is worth it. Could we break that? Probably. Do we want to? Evidently not 

We may not want to because we want to see where we are in the summer, or that we think we can get better value for our money elsewhere (like sparks northcote analogy), but to automatically assume that we cannot afford it means you are very open to meeting unrealistic demands and at its worst open to not actually achieving true value for money…such as eating at Northcote! 

It might simply be a case of we do not want to meet his wage demands because they don’t think he is a player worth paying 15/20k a week even if he and his agents do (hypothetical I don’t know his demands) 

I suppose the question is: do you think Nyambe is worth breaking the wage structure? Because by paying him x amount it will then bring up the market value of a Rovers contract, meaning players of similar quality / stature will expect a similar amount. I don’t personally think it is a black and white case of if we can afford Nyambe and I wouldn’t rule out the management team thinking he just isn’t worth what his demands are 

And even all the above aside it also may be a case of Nyambe believing he can play in a better league and wants to asses his options at the end of the year knowing he can leave on a free. Agents are advising this in the current climate of sky high transfer fees 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

That is true, however you'll have more bargaining power as a player trying to negotiate a higher wage with a Premier League club than a championship one. Especially when the contract is coming to an end and you're key part of the squad. From the player's perspective they are playing a longer game and they have the upper hand. I don't blame them for not signing. 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'm sure any contracts have promotion wage rises included just like relegation reductions. Also don't forget the big one off bonuses allegedly being dangled.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

That's what promotion wage rise clauses are for though.

Edited by Upside Down

Darragh Leninhan, Joe Rothwell, Ryan Nyambe and Ben Brereton are starters and important players for our squad. If we cant agree new deals for them its a shame and total miscontroll by the club waiting so long to tie them to new deals.

We got a lot of money for Armstrong and also got rid of alot of players in the summer and with rich ownes it doesnt makes sense as we are second in the league.... something is wrong here.

Edited by neophox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Darragh Leninhan, Joe Rothwell, Ryan Nyambe and Ben Brereton are starters and important players for our squad. If we cant agree new deals for them its a shame and total miscontroll by the club waiting so long to tie them to new deals.

We got a lot of money for Armstrong and also got rid of alot of players in the summer and with rich ownes it doesnt makes sense as we are second in the league.... something is wrong here.

Something has been wrong here for the last ten years. I think we all know what that something is.

• Like 5