BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

11 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Imo there’s only Newcastle we should worry about re BBD. They’ve got the cash to break Venkys.

Ive been saying for around 6 months now that DL and JR will potentially take some replacing externally (think Buckley could replace JR in time)….but genuinely I don’t think it’d take much over £500k to replace Nyambe. He’s a decent Championship player…Pickering is a better full back overall and these players can be found. 

Absolute garbage imo. Pickering has done OK but Nyambe is a far better player. 

Hopefully we're crawling towards a resolution on at least a couple of the three by now as I fear losing any of them in January could derail any hopes of promotion and it's imperative we keep them all until the end of the season at the very least.

If however we did lose them I fear Nyambe would be the hardest to replace within our budget for similar quality.

I think it would probably be easiest to find a passable replacement for Lenihan and if we lost Rothwell we might be able to manage for creativity to an extent by bringing in Dack and/or Butterworth.

Like I say, imperative none go anywhere this month for me however, whether they agreed new deals or not.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

11 hours ago, 47er said:

We can't afford to give Nyambe the pay rise he seeks but we can afford to buy a better player (in your view) for a sizeable fee and give him a pay deal that will satisfy him?

Righto!!!!

Exactly this.

All this "we can bring in better players than these three for less money" is pie in the sky talk.

We CAN replace them obviously. We probably however wouldn't be able to replace them with the same quality without spending a hell of a lot of money.

Then any replacements might not hit the ground running instantly and might upset the spirit within the dressing room making the changes completely counter productive.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolute garbage imo. Pickering has done OK but Nyambe is a far better player. .

Correct.  As 1v1 defenders Pickering isn't even close to RN.  RN is tough to pass, Pickering is easy to pass and get a cross in....

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 6

Failure to sign up well in advance means the power shifts towards the player as they run down their contract..

We should have tied all 3 down with 18 months remaining, that's when we have the power as it gives the player security.

The one player of the three that is going to be difficult to replace is Rothwell.. CB and RB are ten to a dozen, but skill and drive like Rothwell will be hard to replicate.. and in my opinion he's one of the main reasons we have done as well as we have.. he opens up teams.. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolute garbage imo. Pickering has done OK but Nyambe is a far better player. 

Hopefully we're crawling towards a resolution on at least a couple of the three by now as I fear losing any of them in January could derail any hopes of promotion and it's imperative we keep them all until the end of the season at the very least.

If however we did lose them I fear Nyambe would be the hardest to replace within our budget for similar quality I think it would probably be easiest to find a passable replacement for Lenihan and if we lost Rothwell we might be able to manage for creativity to an extent by bringing in Dack and/or Butterworth.

Like I say, imperative none go anywhere this month for me however, whether they agreed new deals or not.

Pickering is a far better footballer technically. Nyambe beats him on physical attributes obviously but to call him a far better player I'd say is a bit off. Personally think Pickering has been very impressive and it's clear he's got something about him. I'd take a right sided version of him as a Nyambe replacement and be more than happy. And all for 300k

• Like 6

What I don't understand about Nyambes game, is that his weakness is his final delivery. I would have thought, this could be worked on by constant repetition in training. Do the normal training with the rest of the squad, then an extra 20 minutes or so just knocking crosses in. Practice makes perfect.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

At no point ever has anyone said with pure clarity that Rovers are unable to afford Nyambe? Stock answer is he has declined to sign the offer in front of him. If anyone thinks he is going to be offered similar wages to senior players they are seriously mistaken!

Why should he not be offered a similar wage to "senior" players?

He is a "senior" player now, every bit as integral to the success of the side as anyone else!

OK, maybe he isn't worth quite as much as a 30 goal a season striker but if he hasn't been offered rough parity with other first team members (like the frankly useless Gallagher) you can't blame him for not accepting at this stage.

I have no idea what he has actually been offered or not offered before anyone asks.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

What I don't understand about Nyambes game, is that his weakness is his final delivery. I would have thought, this could be worked on by constant repetition in training. Do the normal training with the rest of the squad, then an extra 20 minutes or so just knocking crosses in. Practice makes perfect.

Been saying this for ages...aside from our good recent run, mogadon hasn't half neglected the squad on all levels.

My question is how the hell are we losing £20 million a year if we have a 'wage structure' that means we can't even pay the likes of Nyambe what he wants?

Second question is which clubs does he or his agent think are willing and able to afford those wages if Rovers can't?

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, rigger said:

His crosses aren't even that bad, he just never tries it. He turns back and plays it simple. I don't think it's mainly a technical issue, more of a mental/decision making issue - which is much harder to train.

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

His crosses aren't even that bad, he just never tries it. He turns back and plays it simple. I don't think it's mainly a technical issue, more of a mental/decision making issue - which is much harder to train.

Nyambe gets in some superb positions and sitting in the Riverside often when we're attacking the BBE you can see him in acres of space with his hands in the air asking for the ball... the issue is when he does get it, he seems to turn it inside to a safe pass. Pickering is reliable at whipping balls in from that same position, I'm not sure its mentality thats stopping Nyambe from doing the same but more he doesn't actually see the pass like Pickering does. 

I agree with the earlier posters, for me Nyambe is better defensively than Pickering but Pickering is better offensively. Feels like JRC could be the answer if we're sticking with wing backs because Lenihan is strong enough to cope.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My question is how the hell are we losing £20 million a year if we have a 'wage structure' that means we can't even pay the likes of Nyambe what he wants?

Second question is which clubs does he or his agent think are willing and able to afford those wages if Rovers can't?

If it doesn't make sense, its probably not true JH.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

People seem to be pointing the blame at the players for the lack of contract acceptance.

But I think what people are forgetting is that it's 3 key players for the squad, it can't possibly be agent/player greed for all 3 players that would be mental! 

Maybe it is because they've been offered shit deals, let's not forget the initial contract offered to Nyambe was the same wage 😂, if he's been offered double it's going to be around £8k then, whilst we have Gallagher on circa £15k I assume.

The discrepancy between the 2 is quite frankly insulting.

I don’t see anyone blaming the players. All the guns have been aimed at the club.

We have no idea what the players have been offered but the club have clearly been talking to them for a long time. 

I assume we’re offering the best deals we can within the wage structure but they’re all holding out for better offers from PL sides which is fair enough. It’s a regrettable situation but if the players genuinely want to hold out for a big move then there’s not much more we can do.

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I assume we’re offering the best deals we can within the wage structure but they’re all holding out for better offers from PL sides which is fair enough. It’s a regrettable situation but if the players genuinely want to hold out for a big move then there’s not much more we can do.

If Nyambe, Lenihan or Rothwell are being advised to refuse good contract offers from Rovers (supposedly increased wages) at a club where they are settled, playing every week in a good team and loved by the fans to hold out for a potential PL move then they are going to be disappointed.

Rothwell not a chance. Lenihan highly unlikely. Nyambe probably the most likely due to his physical attributes which might make him attractive to someone like Palace to have a crack at polishing up but still unlikely.

Even with all that if they sign new deals and then PL clubs want them they will still get them as money talks - signing an extension with Rovers would not dissuade clubs higher up.

I think it is more likely that whatever it is Rovers have offered or are offering isn't worth the time of day.

I think we will find out in time to come that rather than months and months of 'talks' to try and keep these players that actually there has been very little (if anything) and that we are looking at a Ben Marshall situation whereby he was painted as the villain for wanting a move or asking for too much money and then we find out the club did nothing to try and keep him

The big clue is Mowbray and his situation - the owners clearly allowing the situation to drift with the manager - a bloke they like, trust and who this season has done a good job. He has admitted he has no idea what their plans are - so are they really pushing to get these players signed or are they just leaving Waggott with his extremely limited resources to try and sort it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Failure to sign up well in advance means the power shifts towards the player as they run down their contract..

We should have tied all 3 down with 18 months remaining, that's when we have the power as it gives the player security.

The one player of the three that is going to be difficult to replace is Rothwell.. CB and RB are ten to a dozen, but skill and drive like Rothwell will be hard to replicate.. and in my opinion he's one of the main reasons we have done as well as we have.. he opens up teams.. 

Whilst clearly agreeing with your view, the club offered two players new deals over 18 months ago and yet they remain unsigned.

• Like 1

Nyambie spent two season being told to keep possession like the rest of them so no surprise he struggles a bit with releasing the ball quicker.

If anything he tries too hard he needs to relax a bit but nobody can question his workrate. Plus the way we play it often means when he breaks down the right there is no center forward to aim for in the box. Also it's not that long ago he set up a goal but it's always been my concern that we ask a right back to be a main creative force.

Get a winger in there and you'll get crosses.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nyambie spent two season being told to keep possession like the rest of them so no surprise he struggles a bit with releasing the ball quicker.

If anything he tries too hard he needs to relax a bit but nobody can question his workrate. Plus the way we play it often means when he breaks down the right there is no center forward to aim for in the box. Also it's not that long ago he set up a goal but it's always been my concern that we ask a right back to be a main creative force.

Get a winger in there and you'll get crosses.

Agree with all of this, noticing he's also getting into the box a LOT this season where he's more advanced than our striker

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I actually think Rankin-Costello is a better fit for the right wing back role than Nyambe. It's a more attacking role he's being asked to do now whereas his strength is defending. If we were to lose any of the out of contract players then he'd be the only one I think we could get away with without impacting the team hugely. We simply cannot lose Lenihan or Rothwell this window though. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

In advanced talks to sign Burke apparently

Would be a very shrewd signing if true. Has a huge amount of talent but he's lost his way. It's not so long ago he went for big money and he's still only young. Plus out of contract in the summer too so Good potential for a permanent deal if he does well. 

We're not in the market for players who are at the top of their game, that's unrealistic. We need to find talent and "polish them up" as TM would say.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I actually think Rankin-Costello is a better fit for the right wing back role than Nyambe. It's a more attacking role he's being asked to do now whereas his strength is defending. If we were to lose any of the out of contract players then he'd be the only one I think we could get away with without impacting the team hugely. We simply cannot lose Lenihan or Rothwell this window though. 

Any new right back needs to be quick (as well as a good player). Nyambe's probably the fastest of our defenders and helps with covering other positions. It's notable that he was the player who stayed back when everyone else went up for the late corner against Huddersfield. Admittedly, his goal record isn't much but no doubt his pace was part of the reason for this.

That said, I do think JRC is a good player, and hope he gets a chance, should Nyambe leave or be unavailable. It might be he could play CM, as well.

Edited by riverholmes