BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

18 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Dutch lad I met travelling is an avid Ajax fan and his response to the right back was “built like a beast, not really great though, not bad but not great” - apparently failed at Ajax

Then again he also didn’t know who Captain Van Hecke is and once told me Ooijer was crap 

Source: Dutch lad I met travelling 

Was he tall?

I might have met him too.

Not saying where or when though, that "will forever remain undisclosed"

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

For me we bring in Zeefuik, with Dack returning and Ayala we have cover for the 3 out of contract players. We keep them all to summer and let them walk if they want. If the contracts affect their play we have quality alternatives. 

Edited by yankfan
Typo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, yankfan said:

For me we bring in Zeefuik, with Dack returning and Ayala we have cover for the 3 out of contract players. We keep them all to summer and let them walk if they want. If the contracts affect their play we have quality alternatives. 

There is absolutely no guarantee that Dack will reach his previous standard of play. Even if he does it won’t be in the next month or so. 

If we continue with this system and WB's , which I feel we should. 

Then RN is not 100% suited to it and I would be happy for a change.

He is a defensive RB not a WB that carries a threat. 

When we attack , the team is unbalanced in its attacking threat in the final third. 

No sale of players to promotion rivals!

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Pickering doesnt have 6 months left on his deal if he had maybe we would be discussing his injury issues.

I agree with parts of your earlier reply.I agree that Nyambe is a better defender than Pickering.But performance levels have been similar this season, they have both had poor games and both had good games.I think potentially Nyambe could play at a higher level than Pickering if he becomes more competent in the final third but i think currently Pickering is better suited to the game the manager is asking the team to play.Pickering for me has got better the more games he played,he had come from a mediocre league one side in Crewe i think that has to be taken into account when judging his earlier performances.I wasnt one of the folk bigging up his signing,id heard of him but seen next to nothing of him,i heard them discussing hin on a efl transher special on sky.

I know nothing of this potential signing but seems to have a decent pedigree and if the club feel Nyambe wont sign a new deal its a good move getting this fella in on loan wirh an option.Out of interest what would you be offering max to tempt Nyambe into a new contract?

Currently i would be offering 10/11/12 i wouldnt go further than that.His game needs to improve for clubs to be paying a fee that would warrant more than that.

Don’t really disagree with your assessment on Pickering, and I don’t think his or Nyambe’s “injury issues” are an issue at this point. I think those figures are about right to be honest, and I think Nyambe would’ve signed for less than that 18 months ago.

We’ve left it too late though. Any of the three out of contract players would be daft to sign a deal with us at this point in time unless the existing contract offers are torn up and re-written to include appropriate and hefty promotion clauses.

My preferred approach right now would be to put all negotiations to bed, and hopefully revisit them in May when we can discuss their salaries as Premier League players. None would be sold, unless there is a daft bid comes in. I don’t believe the Leeds Nyambe link one bit, but 3 million would be an amount I don’t think we could knock back, and we couldn’t stand in his way for a move to an established Prem team and a chance to increase his wage by at least 500%.

This is from a post I put up a couple of weeks back…

That’s funny, because Steve Waggott told me the following:

”It’s not all about the money with Ryan. There are other factors - his academy in Namibia is very important to him.”

This was a few weeks ago, and things may have changed, but it doesn’t support the narrative he is either greedy or unrealistic.

Besides that, people need to stop thinking of “wage structure” in such simple terms - it’s not just a one size fits all wage cap. One of the issues that has long been reported is that academy graduates get a raw deal compared to players we sign from elsewhere. Their wages are bound by a fairly rigid structure; each contract they sign is capped at an increasing amount. 

Nyambe has only played about 40 games less than Lenihan, but is 3 and a half years younger. Same age as Trav, but 60% more career appearances. He’s also younger than Harry Chapman, and has been paid less than Chapman over the course of their contracts.

So Nyambe is likely hitting his fourth pro contract, and is currently in the same pay bracket as Wharton, who is a couple of months older. Our famed structure brackets Nyambe as an academy graduate rather than a full international with 170 first team appearances to his name. It’s not about breaking the structure, but being pragmatic with its application.

What I really think ought to be happening now is Waggott and Mowbray need to be explaining to Venky’s that this is their opportunity to turn Rovers into an asset rather than a massive liability. Mowbray always says selling decisions are down to the owners, so persuading them not to “cash in” on any of these players is a must. They have chucked good money after bad for a decade, but if for once they can show some restraint and common sense, take a calculated gamble and some decent advice, there’s a chance we can start talking about what they have done for us rather than what they have done to us.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Spot on. Hopefully that's the thinking.

• Like 1

Why are people assuming that the potential new right back is to replace Nyambe now? We've talked all season that there is no cover there. JRC is too injury prone to be considered, in addition he can play multiple positions and considers himself a midfielder.

The Irish guy is punt, coming from a league that is off-season and needs to get up to speed and tried at U23 level first.

There is injuries, suspension and illness waiting so we need more bodies. A loan deal with a buy clause seems very sensible. In the summer we will know what the score is regarding promotion and contracts.

If we are promoted, the squad needs a large overhaul as not that many are PL quality.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, which may well be nothing, a FB post just popped up from someone saying their nephew's friend who works at the club reckons Nyambe was saying his goodbyes to staff at the club today. Hopefully cobblers, 'nephew's friend' is moving into 'my mate's nan's dog' territory, but not impossible it's legit.

13 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Coincidence that this has come out the same day that Rothwell linked with a move away?

It hasn't, it's come out absolutely ages ago and probably wasn't worth posting. It's just a regurgitation of what has already been said before.

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There is absolutely no guarantee that Dack will reach his previous standard of play. Even if he does it won’t be in the next month or so. 

I cant even see where Dack would fit into this team and system, up to now he's always been at his best in a roaming number 10 role playing of a more holding CF like Graham, I don't really see him complimenting BBs game.

Maybe now after his injuries he could adapt to a more central midfield role where he doesn't have to run as much?

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Agreed, but we should keep all 3 out of contract players, Dack is cover.  

28 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Don’t really disagree with your assessment on Pickering, and I don’t think his or Nyambe’s “injury issues” are an issue at this point. I think those figures are about right to be honest, and I think Nyambe would’ve signed for less than that 18 months ago.

We’ve left it too late though. Any of the three out of contract players would be daft to sign a deal with us at this point in time unless the existing contract offers are torn up and re-written to include appropriate and hefty promotion clauses.

My preferred approach right now would be to put all negotiations to bed, and hopefully revisit them in May when we can discuss their salaries as Premier League players. None would be sold, unless there is a daft bid comes in. I don’t believe the Leeds Nyambe link one bit, but 3 million would be an amount I don’t think we could knock back, and we couldn’t stand in his way for a move to an established Prem team and a chance to increase his wage by at least 500%.

This is from a post I put up a couple of weeks back…

That’s funny, because Steve Waggott told me the following:

”It’s not all about the money with Ryan. There are other factors - his academy in Namibia is very important to him.”

This was a few weeks ago, and things may have changed, but it doesn’t support the narrative he is either greedy or unrealistic.

Besides that, people need to stop thinking of “wage structure” in such simple terms - it’s not just a one size fits all wage cap. One of the issues that has long been reported is that academy graduates get a raw deal compared to players we sign from elsewhere. Their wages are bound by a fairly rigid structure; each contract they sign is capped at an increasing amount. 

Nyambe has only played about 40 games less than Lenihan, but is 3 and a half years younger. Same age as Trav, but 60% more career appearances. He’s also younger than Harry Chapman, and has been paid less than Chapman over the course of their contracts.

So Nyambe is likely hitting his fourth pro contract, and is currently in the same pay bracket as Wharton, who is a couple of months older. Our famed structure brackets Nyambe as an academy graduate rather than a full international with 170 first team appearances to his name. It’s not about breaking the structure, but being pragmatic with its application.

What I really think ought to be happening now is Waggott and Mowbray need to be explaining to Venky’s that this is their opportunity to turn Rovers into an asset rather than a massive liability. Mowbray always says selling decisions are down to the owners, so persuading them not to “cash in” on any of these players is a must. They have chucked good money after bad for a decade, but if for once they can show some restraint and common sense, take a calculated gamble and some decent advice, there’s a chance we can start talking about what they have done for us rather than what they have done to us.

Great Post, the only thing I would disagree on is that IF anyone offered £3m for Nyambe (which I don't think they would anyway) that definitely isn't an offer we couldn't refuse in January given the potential prize on offer.

Given the stakes for me it would take an offer of at least £10m to even consider letting any of the 3 leave this month.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's amazing that some posters are happy with a Dutch player to replace Nyambe who, up until a few hours ago had never heard of. We are in our strongest position for years and could be on the verge of losing several key players and replacing them with players nobody knows. Besides that will Zeefuik even qualify for a work permit?

Only in the world of Venkys.

I agree if Nyambe goes this window. But if we do bring in the Dutch lad as competition to the end of the season, whats the harm in taking a look especially if Nyambe walks at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It hasn't, it's come out absolutely ages ago and probably wasn't worth posting. It's just a regurgitation of what has already been said before.

I know we were linked ages ago and was posted but for Sky to regurgitate on the same day as the Rothwell story?

15 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I know we were linked ages ago and was posted but for Sky to regurgitate on the same day as the Rothwell story?

It's been regurgitated enough times by enough 'sources' that I'm ok with dismissing that as most likely just being a coincidence.

26 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If Rothwell was to go (although before summer would be madness).  The nearest player I've seen to what he brings, is the lad Dembele at Peterborough.  He looks way too good for them. 

I like the look of Styles at Barnsley but Dembele has that moment of magic too

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's amazing that some posters are happy with a Dutch player to replace Nyambe who, up until a few hours ago had never heard of. We are in our strongest position for years and could be on the verge of losing several key players and replacing them with players nobody knows. Besides that will Zeefuik even qualify for a work permit?

Only in the world of Venkys.

We dont know if he is leaving.Mowbray said he wanted another senior right back, the irish guy hasnt been brought in as a first teamer he will be with the 23s for the rest of the season most likely

What we do know is that he only has 6 months left on his deal and its likely we will need to sign a right back.Surely its sensible making this signing.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I cant even see where Dack would fit into this team and system, up to now he's always been at his best in a roaming number 10 role playing of a more holding CF like Graham, I don't really see him complimenting BBs game.

Maybe now after his injuries he could adapt to a more central midfield role where he doesn't have to run as much?

TM recently said Buckley will have a fight on his hands for a place once Dack is fit .

Most advanced of the midfield 3 .

Also said even at 1/10 of the fitness required for the first team matches , he views Dack as the best player at the club 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Of course we can agree to disagree.

I have to say I don't place any weight whatsoever on what you say about RN as you're another one who has Waggott's confidence. Therefore whilst your view might be the same one held as the one held by Waggott and Mowbray, in my view it's completely the wrong one.

Didn't Waggot allegedly say one thing to one person and the complete opposite to someone else ?

Just lip service at the end of the day.

• Like 1