BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

6 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Spot on. 

Crazy people starting to trust the management after the past 3-4 years of the Conventrio.

Let's also not forget they had Dack sold before he was injured.

The lack of Armstrong replacement too.

The performances hiding what a shambolic job they are doing.

I'm no Mowbray apologist but this is just B/S. 

As far as this season goes let them carry on doing their shambolic job and I'll judge on where we end the season. 

The table doesn't lie - it didn't lie for us last season so same rules apply this.. 

• Like 8

Richie Lareya  from Toronto FC would have been a great solution for Rovers. Just been sold to Forest for $1 million. Mentioned him last year. We shall see how he works out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Tell you what, I’m finding it a bit odd that we haven’t sent Poveda back to Leeds.

He appears to be doing his rehab there and seemingly he won’t be back any time soon? 

Could it mean that Leeds are insisting on Rovers fulfilling the loan and wage payments for the full season? In which case, the Poveda loan contract didn't have a termination clause based on serious injury or a Jan break option and no other settlement has yet been reached, so he remains on Rovers books.

I'm speculating but it does seem likely that Premier League clubs are calling the shots on loan deals. Also bemusing that Clarkson was on the bench every match and not trusted to play a single minute latterly.

With Prem youth players increasingly in demand on continental Europe, I can imagine that, the big clubs especially, are making a fair sum from loan deals and, at the same time, dictating terms. By contrast, Rovers are sending out some U23 regulars into the regional leagues below conference level. Another example of the grotesque gulf between top tier and second tier - which gets worse the further you go down.

Edited by riverholmes

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I will wear a Burnley shirt with barnes on the back for the whole of next season in the Blackburn end if brereton signs for Barcelona or Madrid 

Perhaps I will set up a gofundme for Barca just to see that happen 🤪🤪

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought that Mowbray had rubbished the Burke links?

He did the same with Pickering last January if you remember correctly. I think Mowbray is playing the waiting game with Burke as option but trying to get Sheffield United to lower their demands and then maybe do a deal. I think he would the fit the way we play. 

Unsure where a player of Hedges' position fits in our current formation which is working.

While he is winger/number 10 so play where Khadra or in the Buckley role. Whether we should sign him I don't enough about him to give an opinion. Have you seen much of him? 

It's not about "getting on with it." My point is that we need a squad with a depth of quality capable of sustaining a promotion push amidst the likely scenario of injuries throughout the main 12/13 players aswell as a potential covid outbreak.

We can't used Covid-19(which is now like Flu or Cold in most cases) or Injuries as any form excuses. If it happens it happens. Covid outbreak is less likely to happen to the coming weeks and months. 

Although to be honest, you seem to be arguing but have similar suggestions regarding numbers. Get a right wing back in and we seem fine there on both sides, although Edun doesn't overly convince me. We have 4 centre backs that we can trust for 3 places, so we are 2 injures/covid absentees away from having to draft in someone unproven like Carter or someone from another position like Johnson, is that enough? Not sure. If Kaminski is out, can we trust Pears? Not sure. We also desperately need a genuine alternative goal threat, if Brereton got injured then we are screwed and Gallagher is always injured.

Well you were suggestion 5 or 6 January signings early today, have you change that opinion now? Cn I please ask what positions would you like to make January transfer window? Where I have said 3 signings is about right. 

Did you have that opinion Pears before yesterday game even tho he performed in the 3 games he played in and kept clean sheets in them. 

on the centre backs I would be happy to play Carter and so we have 5 players for those 3 positions but I would have no problem if going 4-3-3 formation again if we have injures. 

Happy with wing backs/full backs options if the Dutch players signs. 

I would like to us sign a centre midfielder and attacker in this January Window. 

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

The sun story was Nyambes place in the team under threat with the arrival of the defender from Berlin.

Didnt suggest any transfer was imminent for Nyambe

Surely ToMo will be bringing him in to play false nine or some other position totally foreign to him

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He did the same with Pickering last January if you remember correctly. I think Mowbray is playing the waiting game with Burke as option but trying to get Sheffield United to lower their demands and then maybe do a deal. I think he would the fit the way we play. 

While he is winger/number 10 so play where Khadra or in the Buckley role. Whether we should sign him I don't enough about him to give an opinion. Have you seen much of him? 

We can't used Covid-19(which is now like Flu or Cold in most cases) or Injuries as any form excuses. If it happens it happens. Covid outbreak is less likely to happen to the coming weeks and months. 

Well you were suggestion 5 or 6 January signings early today, have you change that opinion now? Cn I please ask what positions would you like to make January transfer window? Where I have said 3 signings is about right. 

Did you have that opinion Pears before yesterday game even tho he performed in the 3 games he played in and kept clean sheets in them. 

on the centre backs I would be happy to play Carter and so we have 5 players for those 3 positions but I would have no problem if going 4-3-3 formation again if we have injures. 

Happy with wing backs/full backs options if the Dutch players signs. 

I would like to us sign a centre midfielder and attacker in this January Window. 

It has nothing to do with excuses, point being that we need to go into the remainder of our promotion push with confidence that our squad has enough quality in depth to cope with potential absentees. A promotion push is not the time to be blooding untested players or making do. The new infectious strain of covid is making its way North and there is already covid within the camp so I would agree with Mowbray that it feels inevitable. You mention the symptoms but it is infectious so even if a player is asymptomatic, it is irrelevant, they cant play.

We definitely need at least one striker, we need another central midfielder, we need a right wing back and seemingly have a target for that position, and also a senior sub keeper. I would loan Pears out. A 5th senior centre back would be ideal, that would cover 3 positions although the difficulty is getting someone who could compete, although may not always play. With Lenihan and Wharton potentially out though he may come straight in. Another attacking player might be ideal, but with Dack, Buckley, Brereton, a new striker, Khadra, Dolan and the injury prone Gallagher, we may have enough although you can never have enough firepower. Carter and Butterworth are unproven and could do with loan spells but we may be wise being more prudent and keeping them.

I have seen little of Hedges so couldnt make a judgement on him as a player. I dont see why we are chasing a winger though. Burke is also a winger but I have seen enough of him to hope that Nixon is talking shite, he couldnt hit a barn door.

Edited by roversfan99

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It has nothing to do with excuses, point being that we need to go into the remainder of our promotion push with confidence that our squad has enough quality in depth to cope with potential absentees. A promotion push is not the time to be blooding untested players or making do. The new infectious strain of covid is making its way North and there is already covid within the camp so I would agree with Mowbray that it feels inevitable. You mention the symptoms but it is infectious so even if a player is asymptomatic, it is irrelevant, they cant play.

Covid peak will be done in the next 2 to 3 weeks in the North and the self isolation period is likely to be reduce to 5 days very shortly I believe results in players being more available to play. Injuries will happen and shouldn't be used as excuses as every team will get them. 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We definitely need at least one striker, we need another central midfielder, we need a right wing back and seemingly have a target for that position, and also a senior sub keeper. I would loan Pears out. A 5th senior centre back would be ideal, that would cover 3 positions although the difficulty is getting someone who could compete, although may not always play. With Lenihan and Wharton potentially out though he may come straight in. Another attacking player might be ideal, but with Dack, Buckley, Brereton, a new striker, Khadra, Dolan and the injury prone Gallagher, we may have enough although you can never have enough firepower. Carter and Butterworth are unproven and could do with loan spells but we may be wise being more prudent and keeping them.

So thats 6 signings you want to make then? what that going to do squad morale and team spirit this squad has got? I would say more damage than good. I feel given that this squad as got to second in the league we need to add 3 players to this squad will be more than enough. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Burke is also a winger but I have seen enough of him to hope that Nixon is talking shite, he couldnt hit a barn door.

Wilder played him upfront last season for Sheffield united. 

Didn't Nixon had the Pickering signing for us weeks before we did and Mowbray denied the story then we signed a couple of weeks later. I feel Mowbray is playing the media again just like he did with Pickering to get Sheffield United to lower their terms of a potential deal there. I guess he is target but it wouldn't surprise me if we went for Anthony Scully or Player from Europe. Who knows who we are targeting these days. Park and his recruitment team seems to be scouting over all UK and plus some parts of Europe. 

Plus didn't Nixon have most of our summer signings like Van Hecke and Clarkson

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As 'excuses'?? Eh?! It's not up to us whether players become unavailable because of covid. We don't set government or league policy, the government and the league do. It doesn't matter if not a single player doesn't get symptoms, if 6 or 7 of them get a positive result we will miss them for up to 3 games depending when it happens. On top of any existing injuries or suspensions, that would be a serious problem.

Your highly questionable views on covid, how serious it is, etc are all 100% irrelevant, because the cold fact is it could seriously hamper our ability to field a competitive side. That's why Roversfan99 is suggesting we need more squad depth. Although ironically we could end up having to field a team with our best players out, if our squad is too deep, as it could mean we technically have the numbers. In some cases a postponement would be preferable (see Hull, who will have a much stronger side available than if they'd just about squeezed enough players together in December). The flip side of keeping too small a squad is you might still have to play the games, but with less players, plus you could get fixture congestion if too many are called off.

Your notions of whether covid outbreaks are less likely to happen in the coming weeks and months are also irrelevant, as you're not a viral outbreak data modeller, and even they don't know for sure. New strains can appear and turn the picture on its head practically overnight. The fact is, the potential impact of covid on our squad is something we must consider, whether chaddyrovers likes to hear it or not.

• Like 5

I've just had a quick squint at transfermarkt; I think it's quite accurate re player contract expiries, even if other aspects are off the mark (eg it gives BBD'S market value as £9m).

Anyway, it says there are 212 championship players whose contracts expire this summer. Across 24 clubs, that's nearly 9 players per club. Included amongst those for Rovers are BBD & TK (both of whom appear to have 12 month options in the club's favour), plus some of our U23s (McGloire etc). And there are some decent names on that list too (David Brookes, Nick Powell, Jonathan Swift, Debbie etc.).

So are we unusual in having so many players with contracts expiring this summer? The stats suggest not; it seems to be across the whole league, and to be fair if one assumes the average contract is 3 years long (?) then that's potentially 27 players OOC every 3 year cycle. I suspect / speculate this year's divisional figure is higher than in previous years due to covid, with club finances being unforeseeably stretched as a result, leading to a mismatch between player expectations & club resources (assuming we did start negotiations with them 18 months ago, as stated).

Where we are unlucky / stand out from the rest, is that 3 of our "rebels" are all very suddenly considered very important due to this successful 5-3-2 formation that they all fit right into, whereas 5 months ago a significant cross section of fans (me included) wouldn't have been too despondent to see any one of them leave. That puts the club in an unforeseen difficult situation that I'd think would be hard to navigate currently.

FWIW, I think we should push the boat out (without rocking it too much!) to keep Lenihan as he's been huge recently; and likewise Rothwell, who has some rather unique ability that I think is irreplaceable, and who's also now found some consistency to go with it.

Re Nyambe, I'm really torn; he's obviously a good egg, an academy product & in a 4 he's absolutely solid; but in a 5 he lacks ability offensively & just hasn't developed as far as I'd hoped he would; plus he does have injury issues. Of the 3, imo he's been the least influential & most replaceable overall. That doesn't mean I want to see him leave, and he certainly deserves an improved deal, but clearly the club don't value him as much as he / his advisors do. If the difference is down to the funding of his academy (as SW has seemingly suggested; sorry if I've got that wrong), why should the club pay him more just so that he can continue to fund it, without a say in its operation at least? It's up to him how he spends his money (and I applaud his intentions wholeheartedly), but is that Rovers' responsibility, without benefit? Absolutely not.

None of us have any idea how far apart each offer is from the players' bottom line. Traditionally, forwards get paid more than defenders, signings from other clubs get paid more than Academy graduates (at least in their younger years); I'm not sure there's much different to that pattern here?

Ideally all 3 renew, perhaps with bonus & further improved standard terms if promoted. If not, then we just have to take the risk of them leaving for a small amount this month (but absolutely not to a promotion rival) or for free in summer.

Tbf to all of them & much to their credit, whatever their reasons for not re-signing, none of them have letvthe uncertainty affect their performances, or indeed look like they're hankering after a move. Hopefully that continues if they're still here on Feb 3rd.

• Like 3

Seems as the the Zeefuik deal is all but sorted. Reported he might be in contention for the weekend. A necessary bit of business as it appears Naymbe will move on either this month or preferably this summer. I’ve given up any illusion he’s going to sign a new contract. 

Edited by yankfan

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Covid peak will be done in the next 2 to 3 weeks in the North and the self isolation period is likely to be reduce to 5 days very shortly I believe results in players being more available to play. Injuries will happen and shouldn't be used as excuses as every team will get them. 

So thats 6 signings you want to make then? what that going to do squad morale and team spirit this squad has got? I would say more damage than good. I feel given that this squad as got to second in the league we need to add 3 players to this squad will be more than enough. 

Wilder played him upfront last season for Sheffield united. 

Didn't Nixon had the Pickering signing for us weeks before we did and Mowbray denied the story then we signed a couple of weeks later. I feel Mowbray is playing the media again just like he did with Pickering to get Sheffield United to lower their terms of a potential deal there. I guess he is target but it wouldn't surprise me if we went for Anthony Scully or Player from Europe. Who knows who we are targeting these days. Park and his recruitment team seems to be scouting over all UK and plus some parts of Europe. 

Plus didn't Nixon have most of our summer signings like Van Hecke and Clarkson

Burke may "have played up front" but that doesnt that it was successful, it was anything but! That would be like teams having bought Chris Samba as he "had played as a striker" in the past.

As others have pointed out, you speak as if your future covid judgements are factual but what is a fact is that so many players are being made unavailable due to covid across the league/country. Coupled with the risk of injury to a small squad and it is my opinion that we ensure that our squad going into a promotion push is deep enough to cover for both of those eventualities. You keep commenting as if it is about "excuses" but my point is more that a few absentees and the quality of our team could massively decrease. There have been times this season when we have looked really short, whether it be when Magloire had to play in the first team, when our bench had no attacking options etc and it has cost us points which we can not afford to spurn, our rivals have deeper squads so that wont be as much of an issue. Throw in a potetial covid outbreak and we could be in a similar situation. Putting faith in a covid scenario of limited damage is a risk we can ill afford to take.

My views on the players we are linked with, as far as I'm remembering them (obviously if someone signs we just see how they do, no need to jump in with 'you haven't seen them play for us yet' etc, it's boring).

Souttar - no thanks, far far too injury prone.

Burke - no thanks. Sounds like he is quick but not much else, been around a lot of clubs for his age and rarely set anything on fire. Unlikely to be cheap.

Hedges - unimpressive record in a mediocre league. Not that young that he has loads of scope to improve. No thanks. Pre-contract would be silly as we could be Prem next year and he doesn't sound remotely Prem level.

Zeefuik - as Nyambe cover/competition for the rest of the season, pretty happy with this. As a Nyambe replacement now or in the summer (unless we get the same sort of fee for Nyambe), I don't think the finances make the slightest bit of sense relative to paying to keep Nyambe. Maybe by the summer he will have played so fantastically that I change my mind. Sounds and looks like a slight downgrade defensively, and an upgrade offensively.

Brown - signed, meh. One of those cheap gambits that might work out and be a masterstroke, and don't cost much if they don't. Also likely allows Pike to go on a better loan.

League One attackers - Scully, Harness, whoever the other one was. These actually sound alright to me as cheap gambits with room to improve. Scully appealed the most.

Maja - if he is properly over his back problem, could be a very useful loan, with an option to buy if he really impresses. Should be affordable in the summer regardless, either through promotion or BBD cash.

Summerville - if Leeds are playing hardball over Poveda, and will only take him back if we take Summerville...then as long as the wage contribution isn't too much higher than we're already paying, this makes a lot of sense. Seems to have reasonable pedigree for a young loanee, and Bielsa teams press like our forward line does.

Doyle - Man City youth player, Tommy. Not a clue, no opinion really. Making only 6 appearances (even with a goal thrown in) in the German second tier doesn't inspire, but young players especially can struggle to settle abroad. Presumably would essentially be to replace Clarkson with someone who can hopefully contribute more.

Christie - Unless Nyambe is leaving this window, this won't happen now Zeefuik is signing (allegedly). But if he does leave, then I suppose Zeefuik becomes the Nyambe replacement and Christie becomes the cover we already needed. Being experienced, that would seem a solid enough loan, though with only one loanee space remaining in the squad so probably overkill.

Conspicuous by absence - a reliable deputy for Kaminski. Until yesterday this didn't seem as much of a priority, but now I absolutely dread Kaminski being out for even a few games. Could be enough to cost us everything as it's likely to be tight at the end of the season. Again due to the loan numbers limitation, this could be tricky to pull off well enough to be worth it, but I think we are taking an almighty risk as things stand.

I've probably forgotten one or two. I'm not counting the likes of Healy, who as far as I can see was only linked in the previous window. And I really shouldn't have to say it, but yes these are largely uninformed opinions about players I mostly haven't seen. I'm going off their general profile - age, pedigree, position, likely cost, second hand opinions I've seen, goals and assists ratios, etc. These are just initial impressions.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

As 'excuses'?? Eh?! It's not up to us whether players become unavailable because of covid. We don't set government or league policy, the government and the league do. It doesn't matter if not a single player doesn't get symptoms, if 6 or 7 of them get a positive result we will miss them for up to 3 games depending when it happens. On top of any existing injuries or suspensions, that would be a serious problem.

Your highly questionable views on covid, how serious it is, etc are all 100% irrelevant, because the cold fact is it could seriously hamper our ability to field a competitive side. That's why Roversfan99 is suggesting we need more squad depth. Although ironically we could end up having to field a team with our best players out, if our squad is too deep, as it could mean we technically have the numbers. In some cases a postponement would be preferable (see Hull, who will have a much stronger side available than if they'd just about squeezed enough players together in December). The flip side of keeping too small a squad is you might still have to play the games, but with less players, plus you could get fixture congestion if too many are called off.

Your notions of whether covid outbreaks are less likely to happen in the coming weeks and months are also irrelevant, as you're not a viral outbreak data modeller, and even they don't know for sure. New strains can appear and turn the picture on its head practically overnight. The fact is, the potential impact of covid on our squad is something we must consider, whether chaddyrovers likes to hear it or not.

We can only 25 players in the players squad anyway. We have about 4 spots open currently cos 1 spot left open, 2 loans players who Clarkson has gone back to Liverpool and Poveda is injury plus let Maglorie in this window.  

If Covid or Injuries happen then they happens. 

We have got to where we have in this league by having younger smaller squad with a great team spirit unlike last season squad which we have more players and did nothing. I would stick with the smaller squad but add 2 or 3 players. Plus Mowbray has actually look like he has enjoyed managing this squad this season compare to last season where he looks disinterested at times.