BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

9 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Not sure about QPR, you can't keep relying on late goals and not sure what strength in depth they have. Main threats in my mind are Bournemouth, WBA if they get their act together possibly under a new manager, Forest and Boro.

Forest are 9 points behind us and Boro 10, I honestly don't see those 2 catching us.

Yeah we won't win every game but they won't either.Still a chance Forest lose Brennan before deadline aswell

12 minutes ago, superniko said:

6th place haven’t won the playoffs since Blackpool in 2009/10.

In the 11 seasons since, 5 times 3rd has gone up and 9 times out of 11 it’s been 3rd or 4th. 

The team challenging for 2nd went up the last two years in Brentford and Fulham

Fair I always seem to remember villa going on that ten plus game run and going up 😂. Either way the play offs would be amazing achievement but one I'd rather swerve 😅

Edited by Danny O.Brien

41 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Not sure about QPR, you can't keep relying on late goals and not sure what strength in depth they have. Main threats in my mind are Bournemouth, WBA if they get their act together possibly under a new manager, Forest and Boro.

Also QPR just drew 0-0 at home....WBA not on a great run and lost again last night. Boro looked bang average but forest arguably if they win at Cardiff could well be a threat. Bournemouth away to Barnsley will be an interesting one also

33 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Fair I always seem to remember villa going on that ten plus game run and going up 😂. Either way the play offs would be amazing achievement but one I'd rather swerve 😅

Yeah that Villa run was unreal. I have a small worry that someone like Sheffield United do the same, or WBA / Bournemouth after changing manager like Villa did. 

• Like 1

IMO Maja isnt a priority signing just yet. I would go for a young up coming premiership forward who wants to make an impression and who can make an immediate impact. Young Delap would be my choice, alternatively a player like Hugill might be an option - he has been recalled by Norwich or is in the process of being. Good in the air, causes mayhem when played and can hold the ball well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

So is going nowhere in midtable every season with a manager and squad without a care in the world. I'd rather have a stab at the play offs and whatever heart ache it might produce than what we'd been accustomed to.

People will just have to man up and take it on the chin.

Of course, there will be no choice if it happens but I'll be dreading it. The original point was Venky's should be letting TM buy 2 or 3 players to give us some depth to cover injuries and suspensions and go for that second automatic promotion spot.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Mowbray says we have turned down bids twice as big as Bournemouth from other clubs for Rothwell 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19878551.blackburn-rovers-stance-joe-rothwell-future-bids-rejected/

Not sure I believe that - who on earth is out there bidding £4 million for him with 6 months of his deal left? Nobody. Which suggests either the £2 million figure from Bournemouth is nonsense or Mowbray is just rubbishing Bournemouth's attempts by telling them how far off it they are with their bids.

Edited by JHRover

Just now, JHRover said:

Not sure I believe that - who on earth is out there bidding £4 million for him with 6 months of his deal left? Nobody. Which suggests either the £2 million figure from Bournemouth is nonsense or Mowbray is just rubbishing Bournemouth's attempts.

Might not be this window he’s talking about I guess. Either way good news that he’s staying beyond the window. And definitely proves Bournemouth were trying to disrupt us putting that bid out in the media.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not sure I believe that - who on earth is out there bidding £4 million for him with 6 months of his deal left? Nobody. Which suggests either the £2 million figure from Bournemouth is nonsense or Mowbray is just rubbishing Bournemouth's attempts.

Suppose it doesnt really matter if its true or not.

Looks like none of the players will be leaving which is what we all wanted.The owners didnt cash in like many predicted.

The form of Forest and Middlesbrough has to be a concern as they have been relentless over the last couple of months. But we have a cushion and our form is also very good so if they manage to overturn that gap in the coming 18 games that will take some going. For example Forest would effectively need a 4-5 game swing of wins for them and defeats for us to overtake us. Of course it can be done but there isn't much scope in 18 games remaining to do that if we sustain our good form. It soon gets to a point where they can't have many slip ups.

QPR have been in good form and their run of late winners this season is impressive and indicative of a side with a strong mentality and never say die attitude, but it is also indicative of a side that relies on fine margins and isn't putting teams to bed in games and you can't rely on late goals forever.

I am worried that WBA will make a managerial change soon. I hope they stick with Ismael at least until we play them as watching them last night they were absolutely abysmal.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not sure I believe that - who on earth is out there bidding £4 million for him with 6 months of his deal left? Nobody. Which suggests either the £2 million figure from Bournemouth is nonsense or Mowbray is just rubbishing Bournemouth's attempts by telling them how far off it they are with their bids.

I'd heard rumours earlier in the window of Villa and Newcastle, but I thought that was sniffing round him for the summer.

Interesting part i picked up was that no-one was aware we'd had other bids, and are only reporting the Bournemouth bids after it broke elsewhere. This suggest that locally no-one has a clue about our current transfer activity, bar whats being reported publically by the club, or what other sources further afield report

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

The form of Forest and Middlesbrough has to be a concern as they have been relentless over the last couple of months. But we have a cushion and our form is also very good so if they manage to overturn that gap in the coming 18 games that will take some going. For example Forest would effectively need a 4-5 game swing of wins for them and defeats for us to overtake us. Of course it can be done but there isn't much scope in 18 games remaining to do that if we sustain our good form. It soon gets to a point where they can't have many slip ups.

QPR have been in good form and their run of late winners this season is impressive and indicative of a side with a strong mentality and never say die attitude, but it is also indicative of a side that relies on fine margins and isn't putting teams to bed in games and you can't rely on late goals forever.

I am worried that WBA will make a managerial change soon. I hope they stick with Ismael at least until we play them as watching them last night they were absolutely abysmal.

This is the biggest factor for me. If we carry on in this form they'd effectively need to win 14/15 of the last 18 or something mental like that to beat us. And they've still got to come to Ewood, play Bournemouth, Fulham, QPR, Sheff United, Boro, West Brom... so even if they did, they'd take points off our other rivals. 

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

As mentioned above, I don't know if Mowbray specified when these mysterious much larger bids came in from other clubs, so, if real, could've been back in the summer - though, admittedly, it would be surprising as he hasn't hit consistent form til now. Additionally, the figures can be massaged when quoting them, depending if you include or exclude major add ons.

I understand Rovers gamble on trying to keep Rothwell but it's a risky one for the club as promotion will be touch and go, I feel, On balance, I feel it's right now that we're in the position we're in - but, overall, I believe the club have got the contract situations very wrong, to let so many players enter their final years and risk losing their potential asset values (as much as I dislike the idea of human beings carrying a monetary value).

Either way, the club should've brought in a central midfielder, or nurtured an internal promotion from the U23s, for a long time, in case Rothwell goes now or one of the other starters gets injured. It's been long overdue and, to my mind, a threat to our promotion chances, should we rely too much on Johnson.

Edited by riverholmes

4 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

As mentioned above, I don't know if Mowbray specified when these mysterious much larger bids came in from other clubs, so, if real, could've been back in the summer - though, admittedly, it would be surprising as he hasn't hit consistent form til now. Additionally, the figures can be massaged when quoting them, depending if you include or exclude major add ons.

I understand Rovers gamble on trying to keep Rothwell but it's a risky one for the club as promotion will be touch and go, I feel, On balance, I feel it's right now that we're in the position we're in - but, overall, I believe the club have got the contract situations very wrong, to let so many players enter their final years and risk losing their potential asset values (as much as I dislike the idea of human beings carrying a monetary value).

Either way, the club should've brought in a central midfielder, or nurtured an internal promotion from the U23s, for a long time, in case Rothwell goes now or one of the other starters gets injured. It's been long overdue and, to my mind, a threat to our promotion chances, should we rely too much on Johnson.

I don't think Johnson would be playing if Edun was available to play in midfield.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 47er said:

If you look at the last 5 games, Fulham and QPR have done better than we have. Expecting Fulham to finish first but  getting really edgy about QPR!

I still think Boro or Forest will come through the pack and challenge. QPR are due some bad luck.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Suppose it doesnt really matter if its true or not.

Looks like none of the players will be leaving which is what we all wanted.The owners didnt cash in like many predicted.

You don’t often see the words “ owners “ and “ predicted “ in the same sentence.  I’ve long since given up trying to guess what the Chicken Chokers are going to do next.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I still think Boro or Forest will come through the pack and challenge. QPR are due some bad luck.

They've had last minute goals to win matches in their last 3, then they slipped up in their last match against Swansea which was at home. Hopefully that's the start of things 🙏

Unfortunately they've got Reading next so I expect them to win at the weekend.

• Like 1